Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What I Want from ESO’s Next Chapter

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2019
    KaliGold said:
    <snip> 

Dungeons are great, but with only four members to the party, they seem more a chore than fun.

<snip>.
    Do you know the game has trials? 

(As I said above I absolutely understand people getting bored. Especially after spending hundreds - or over 1000 hours in the game. Which can be had for the cost of the latest collection, no sub required.)
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • SelzyrSelzyr Member UncommonPosts: 60
    this comment section is....amusing.

ESO is cool, just wanted them to implement cloaks and make so the PC and NPC didn't look...derpy...and those animations are meh....

Other then that, 11/10 better then WoW atm.
    YashaX
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. And the more you know Insanity, is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. But I can tell you that only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Can someone explain the whole animation cancelling thing? I don't get it?
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    BadSpock said:

BadSpockrojoArcueid
  • Dick1232Dick1232 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    An AH.
    gervaise1
    Scorchien said:
    BadSpock said:

Thanks, that's informative. I don't get how that "ruins" PvP for people though? 

If anything it just speeds things up and allows for a higher player skill cap, which is generally good for PvP?

If they forced animations to play out (slow things down) it would probably be even less popular as the combat would slow down considerably.
    Octagon7711
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    BadSpock said:
    The simplest explanation is that ESO has active blocking and the game is designed around the tank not aggroing everything so everyone has to occasionally block/bash and that is a priority action that cancels whatever other action you were doing.

But in ESO the action that gets cancelled by the block (and a few other things but that gets more advanced) still damages or heals or whatever it does at full effect. The only exception about the full effect part are channeled abilities and there are only a handful of those.

So players "abuse" the defensive interrupt mechanics to cancel the animations of abilities with fake blocks or weapon swaps, and cancel the full animation of light attacks with abilities, etc., and squeeze a lot of extra DPS out of that if they are good at it.

This creates an animation canceling "elite" that matters in end game hard mode trials and can make a difference in 1v1 or small group PvP... klutzes need not apply :)

For anything else in the game it's no big deal at all whether you're good at it or not since the difficulty of content is not designed around cancelling. Neither are hard mode trials when it comes down to it but it's the difference between really fast trial runs (there are leader boards for that) and a normal speed one.
    BadSpockMasoodVoonYashaXgervaise1
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited January 2019
    BadSpock said:
    Scorchien said:
    BadSpock said:

If anything it just speeds things up and allows for a higher player skill cap, which is generally good for PvP?

If they forced animations to play out (slow things down) it would probably be even less popular as the combat would slow down considerably.
    Because it looks fucking retarded.  Completely destroys the whole point of even having animations, might as well just have damage applied based on how quickly you can spam buttons at that point.
    OzmodanMasoodVoonSovrathMendel
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    BadSpock said:

Feels like the game could use some more open-world events like the Anchors. I've been a big fan of public quests / open world events since WAR, and whatever implementation - like events in Destiny or event chains in GW2 or whatever FFXIV calls them...

Such an MMO-specific feature, bring players together randomly in the open world to work together to accomplish a goal - all MMO games need more of this, IMO.
    I would love to see ESO implement something like the invasions in Rift; it would be particularly cool in Cyrodiil!!
    BadSpock
    BadSpock said:
    Scorchien said:
    BadSpock said:

Because it looks fucking retarded.  Completely destroys the whole point of even having animations, might as well just have damage applied based on how quickly you can spam buttons at that point.
    Eh. In my experience, it hasn't affected me one bit in normal solo gameplay, casual PvP, or casual PvE... but fully admit I haven't done any high-level battlegrounds or raids etc.

I can imagine it being a problem in 1vs1 and with bleeding-edge raid content trying to maximize DPS.

At this point though, it seems it has been in the game so long if they changed it there would be an uproar.

Still, seems like a silly "hill to die on", IMO. If that's the only thing keeping you from playing ESO?

It's a perfect casual MMO for me ATM. It's on console, loads and loads of content that can be done solo or with group finder, has a fairly rich "grind" for gear/post-level cap advancement (CP), looks great in HDR/4k, great music/VO & atmosphere, and the combat/builds are interesting enough to be finally "clicking" with me where it's fun to experiment and try new combinations of skills and gear and CP.

I hope new expac revealed today offers more of the same and then some for a decent price. I haven't bought Summerset yet, but if they offer a decent package deal for new one + Summerset I'll probably pick it up.

Paying for sub currently, which has def improved my enjoyment being able to do the new content/zones, play with the Outfit system in earnest, and of course crafting bag!
    YashaX
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    BadSpock said:
    BadSpock said:
    Scorchien said:
    BadSpock said:

Eh. In my experience, it hasn't affected me one bit in normal solo gameplay, casual PvP, or casual PvE... but fully admit I haven't done any high-level battlegrounds or raids etc.

I can imagine it being a problem in 1vs1 and with bleeding-edge raid content trying to maximize DPS.

At this point though, it seems it has been in the game so long if they changed it there would be an uproar.

Still, seems like a silly "hill to die on", IMO. If that's the only thing keeping you from playing ESO?

It's a perfect casual MMO for me ATM. It's on console, loads and loads of content that can be done solo or with group finder, has a fairly rich "grind" for gear/post-level cap advancement (CP), looks great in HDR/4k, great music/VO & atmosphere, and the combat/builds are interesting enough to be finally "clicking" with me where it's fun to experiment and try new combinations of skills and gear and CP.

I hope new expac revealed today offers more of the same and then some for a decent price. I haven't bought Summerset yet, but if they offer a decent package deal for new one + Summerset I'll probably pick it up.

Paying for sub currently, which has def improved my enjoyment being able to do the new content/zones, play with the Outfit system in earnest, and of course crafting bag!
    The problem is not that animation canceling exists, it's that the devs design content around it which makes it mandatory unless you just want to be dead weight.
    Octagon7711
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2019
    Scorchien said:
    BadSpock said:

Interesting. I haven't played ESO in a while but I always thought animation cancelling was more like For Honor where you cancel an attack to do something else, but here in ESO you actually do damage with the cancelled attack. Really weird.

This is a double edge sword. On the positive side it speeds everything up. On the negative side, i can see this discouraging slower players from doing PvP because they will always die.

This would not affect me personally since i don't do PvP, but I can see it being a problem in PvE if groups start demanding animation cancelling to maximize PvE damage. If that becomes a thing I would just not play the game or go full solo.

Scorchien said:
    BadSpock said:

Interesting. I haven't played ESO in a while but I always thought animation cancelling was more like For Honor where you cancel an attack to do something else, but here in ESO you actually do damage with the cancelled attack. Really weird.

This is a double edge sword. On the positive side it speeds everything up. On the negative side, i can see this discouraging slower players from doing PvP because they will always die.

This would not affect me personally since i don't do PvP, but I can see it being a problem in PvE if groups start demanding animation cancelling to maximize PvE damage. If that becomes a thing I would just not play the game or go full solo.
    Yup. Top tier raiding guilds do demand it and that is the problem IF, top tier raiding is your thing.

It's only a thing in PvP in 1v1 or possibly small group play (battlegrounds) but the core PvP in ESO is large scale in Cyrodiil and animation cancelling would be the least of your problems there - coordinated ultimate groups, AKA "bomb groups" rule the day in Cyrodiil.

It's not needed for any other content including vet dungeons (and really not needed for raiding either) unless you happen to get in a PUG with some 1337 burn out who wants to speed run it by DPSing bosses down before they can do their mechanics.

Any PvE fight in ESO that has a "DPS check" (and there are not many of those,) can easily be done without animation cancelling.

There is also of course macroing to your mouse or KB. It's against the TOS so technically a cheat, but some do it. I mean... anyone who has a programmable gaming mouse or KB knows how easy it is to not just program a button to be "1" but to be "1 (delay) RMB" or even chain a whole rotation to one button if you're so inclined.

I don't raid except once in a blue moon with one of my guilds and I've done just fine doing just the very basic animation cancelling (which a lot of players do without even knowing that's what they're doing) namely doing a light weapon attack (LMB) before using any ability.

As to the aesthetics of how it looks... lol. I couldn't give less of a shit about that.
    BadSpockYashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

The problem is not that animation canceling exists, it's that the devs design content around it which makes it mandatory unless you just want to be dead weight.
    I would highly, highly doubt that.
    IselinYashaXgervaise1[Deleted User]
    edited January 2019
    BadSpock said:
    I would highly, highly doubt that.
    There is a crowd in ESO whose main goal running dungeons is to do them as fast as humanly possible as if they were an annoying chore they need to get over and done with. "Dead weight" is their code for those who aren't as burnt out on the game as they are :)
    YashaXBadSpockOctagon7711[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

That's all mature, modern MMOs.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

I own the collectors edition of ESO

ESO Lacks and what I think needs to change :

Consistence in combat operation.
    -fix skill clipping
    -fix skill animation length to be normailzed for all classes

Game World
    -its such a linear world that people go straight 90% of the time
    -no deviation from the linear straight path zone to zone
    - almost ever zone is created as an entry point bottom or top left or right and the exit is bottom top left or right // its boring as fuck.

Characters and animation
    -im playing Ryl online all over with the hip twisters and how the sword swings, it is exacly like Ryl Online
    - Character models are dated and boring.
    - animations are probably some of the worst in the industry. Lineage 2 has more animation in the breast of its Dark Elf females then an entire ESO character.
    -horse animation ...LOL

Game Content
    -there is none. It is the same vertical climb as every other mmo before it with no deviation from that path way
    - the quest and stories have been played to death in many games squared.
    - Crafting ? Did it before in about 10 other games
    -leveling , exactly the same as every mmo preceding 
    -monsters ? the same
    -Instancing, its boring

again, BDO has done a fresh take on every single point I've listed and round down the eras that most games want to verticalize like grinding. BDO allows people to grind effortlessly killing mass amounts at one time. In ESO if you go kill 50 things it takers hours, in BDO it would take 2 minutes.

Having this troll episode that denies BDO MMORPGGOTY Might be fun for this website, but it missed a great opportunity to reward a company who is actually worth rewarding. MMORPG.COM, the real trolls of the industry. BAN yourselves. Every year your get it wrong, is another year of the same rehashed shit from redundant publishers listening to your words. As a warning : I'm not in a good mood. reply at your own risk.
    Ah yes, BDO.  Or in other words: "Kiting mindless AI while spamming AoE: The Game", such incredible content!  Oh wait, there isn't any.

Edit: Also I think it's cute that you think anyone cares what mood you're in today.  You don't scare anyone.
    I remember when this website had really amazing and top noitch trolling, what ever happen to that ... #yawn Keep on keeping on, I'm feeling a lot better  now :) . Have fun in elderly old ideas online :)

One thing I can't understand, is you claim BDO as MMO of the year.  It has nothing going for it, grinding 50 mobs at a time doesn't change the incline of the requirements to level up vs. one mob at a time.  I couldn't get into it because I felt it was designed specifically for people who have severe ADHD as the combat focus is just, wipe everything on the screen as fast as possible clicking one skill.

Also the fact you call ESO linear is troubling.  You have the entire world in your hands and you can go to any part of that world and start your journey and then move to any other part and keep going.  There is no path to follow.  I found it quite satisfying to move to areas of Skyrim and be immersed in the story and then jump on down to Morrowwind and get involved with stuff over there.

Those are the few things that stuck out to me that make think you are blind or just butthurt that your MMO didn't make the list.
    BadSpock
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    That is so ridiculous people get kicked for not doing animation canceling.  Only a true idiot would so something like that.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Scorchien said:
    BadSpock said:

I do mostly solo pve and with animation canceling it means I usually do well at dark anchors and tagging bosses in crowded dungeons.  I'm kinda surprised that starting a skill before the last one has finished would be such a big deal, it's very effective.
    Iselin

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited January 2019
    Ozmodan said:
    That is so ridiculous people get kicked for not doing animation canceling.  Only a true idiot would so something like that.

Like getting kicked for a low DPS score.  Being specced for survival instead. :neutral:
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Was anyone else disappointed in the coming racial changes? I thought they said the changes would let your characters have more flexibility in the way you play. That seemed like a lie to me. They just seemed to buff the racial i little bit is all.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Hariken said:
    Was anyone else disappointed in the coming racial changes? I thought they said the changes would let your characters have more flexibility in the way you play. That seemed like a lie to me. They just seemed to buff the racial i little bit is all.
    can you be more specific?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Hariken said:

I was hoping that it would be like the single player games. It didn't matter what race you were. You could play how you wanted. A redguard could be good at magic. I made Redguard battlemages in the single player games. Yes, you can do magic in ESO but you won't be as good as a magic race. In one of the single player games, there was a powerful Nord mage that you worked with. But in ESO Nords are seen as big drunken warriors with little intelligence. I just don't want the races to be the factor in playing so much.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Hariken said:
    Sovrath said:
    Hariken said:

I was hoping that it would be like the single player games. It didn't matter what race you were. You could play how you wanted. A redguard could be good at magic. I made Redguard battlemages in the single player games. Yes, you can do magic in ESO but you won't be as good as a magic race. In one of the single player games, there was a powerful Nord mage that you worked with. But in ESO Nords are seen as big drunken warriors with little intelligence. I just don't want the races to be the factor in playing so much.
    I don't think that was the same for all the game.

for example, in Morrowind, Nords had bonuses to strength but Altmer, for example, weren't strong and had bonuses to intelligence.

Maybe you are thinking Skyrim?

Iselin
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Hariken said:
    Sovrath said:
    Hariken said:

I don't think that was the same for all the game.

for example, in Morrowind, Nords had bonuses to strength but Altmer, for example, weren't strong and had bonuses to intelligence.

Maybe you are thinking Skyrim?

Ah, it been so long since I played Skyrim. But I seem to remember being able to buff say your intelligence when you leveled if you want to in Morrowind.