Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation Team Previews Castle Sieges & Announces New Classes Coming Soon - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageAshes of Creation Team Previews Castle Sieges & Announces New Classes Coming Soon - MMORPG.com

Some big things are coming soon to Ashes of Creation Apocalypse. Devs revealed both Castle Sieges and six new classes that will be arriving with a future update. A new video highlights trebuchets, ballistae, catapults, siege towers, giant balls of fire, broken castle walls and more that devs believe set Ashes of Creation Apocalypse apart from all the other "online battle games".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited January 2019
    "A new video highlights trebuchets, ballistae, catapults, siege towers, giant balls of fire, broken castle walls and more that devs believe set Ashes of Creation Apocalypse apart from all the other 'online battle games'."

Poor, poor backers. Oh yeah, how's Fornite's Save the World 'PvE' mode been going???? If you forgot that was the game's original intention, you're not alone....
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]chocolate42069Sabracdavc123
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited January 2019
    "A new video highlights trebuchets, ballistae, catapults, siege towers, giant balls of fire, broken castle walls and more that devs believe set Ashes of Creation Apocalypse apart from all the other "online battle games"

Hello Intrepid Studios, Mark Jacob's called, he wants to know if the lack of player avatars is what sets Ashes of Cremation (sic) apart from CU and others? (Every payload appears to be on fire)

Also he asks, WTF is with this "online battle game" stuff as he thought you folks were making some form of MMO over there.

Finally, his Pro-tip for you, publishing release dates in advance is for suckers.....

:D

ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]Slapshot1188Alomarchocolate42069Strizzy12

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Not even semi interested.
    Alomar[Deleted User]
  • supx2supx2 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    edited January 2019
    I wonder if there's still anyone who thinks this is going to be a MMORPG. edit: never mind, now I see why this keep happening over and over, people surely have a short-term memory.
    KyleranBalticthunderchocolate42069
    edited January 2019
    Still no evidence of work being done on Node evolution, the one unique feature of which might have set Ashes of "Cremation" apart from others. ;)

MMORPG releasing by the end of 2019? I think we can set that notion firmly aside and start looking at late 2020 or beyond.

"Nodes Ashes of Creation is a unique take on the MMO experience. Our world structure is dynamic and built to react to the actions of our players.

Cities will rise and fall, their populations based on the history of the world as the players create it. Quests will unlock as these populations gather, their needs grow, and secrets are unlocked.

As the world’s NPC structure is established in real time, players will have the ability to destroy what they’ve created, paving the way for new development, new populations, and real change.

Political strife and intrigue will play a very real role in the structure of your world. " 

https://aocwiki.net/Nodes
    supx2Alomarchocolate42069InteritusMadFrenchieSabrackillerqueer

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    "We'll be right back to working on the MMO as soon as we have expanded, balanced, optimised and polished this little battle game to industry-leading standards..."
    supx2BlueThunderBearAlomar[Deleted User]chocolate42069sakertweedledumb99MadFrenchieSabracRiannesand 3 others.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2019
    Why does it look like this game is aiming all for pvp to avoid making content?

They can fancy word their marketing anyway they want,he bottom line is that pvp is terrible,it ruins and removes the reason for anything else in the game and becomes ONLY a pvp game.
    Like WHO CARES what the npc's are doing or if the structures are changing if all players care about is pvp?

HEY stop hitting me ,i want to stop and look at this changing world,it is amazing !!.

Umm yeah,waste of time doing anymore once you have introduced pvp.
    Alomarchocolate42069sakertweedledumb99

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    whare's ashe of creation, the game most hyped in this site?
    what's this thing? disapointed
    [Deleted User]
  • KirtisKirtis Member UncommonPosts: 39

Elidien said:

How can they balance classes when they are still introducing classes? Seriously, I am curious.

Just hop onto open weekend event and check out what they have done - there are no classes whatsoever and nothing to balance at all. You grab an axe and you are berserker, you grab a bow and suddenly you are a ranger. All this Apocalipse is nothing more than just a way to make a fast cash grab before all this "highly anticipated" (or should we call it "falsely advertised") project will collapse and join a list of crowdfunded projects that have never delivered what they promised
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Kirtis said:

Elidien said:

How can they balance classes when they are still introducing classes? Seriously, I am curious.

Just hop onto open weekend event and check out what they have done - there are no classes whatsoever and nothing to balance at all. You grab an axe and you are berserker, you grab a bow and suddenly you are a ranger. All this Apocalipse is nothing more than just a way to make a fast cash grab before all this "highly anticipated" (or should we call it "falsely advertised") project will collapse and join a list of crowdfunded projects that have never delivered what they promised

You've summed up the current MMO (western) "business model".
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2019
    And here I am just wondering why a test mode for a completely different genre project would need to take steps to set itself apart from other "online battle games" as if it were going to be a standalone title.  Oh yeah, it's because it is.  Which isn't anything the original backers were backing.
    [Deleted User]Sabrac[Deleted User]Aeander

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I don't see how Apocalypse can replace the actual MMO that people are fretting about; I do see however possible delays due to unforeseen obstacles along the MMO production path.
    THis really looks awesome !

[Deleted User]Strizzy12

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Galadourn said:
    I don't see how Apocalypse can replace the actual MMO that people are fretting about; I do see however possible delays due to unforeseen obstacles along the MMO production path.
    Delays are pretty much guaranteed.

I personally have little interest in AoC: Apocalypse, but... I imagine they're looking for a way to bring in more money. So, I'm fine with it.

Would people really rather have them selling kingdoms for RL money? Or a bunch of overpowered ships the rest will spend a year grinding for? *looks at the other Kickstarter MMO's out there* :tongue:
    Angreeegamer

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Galadourn said:

I personally have little interest in AoC: Apocalypse, but... I imagine they're looking for a way to bring in more money. So, I'm fine with it.

Would people really rather have them selling kingdoms for RL money? Or a bunch of overpowered ships the rest will spend a year grinding for? *looks at the other Kickstarter MMO's out there* :tongue:
    Will you still be saying this if the MMO is abandoned?  Not like we don't have evidence of a situation like that happening.

Video gamers really need to stop it with the sunk cost fallacy.
    Strizzy12

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Galadourn said:

As a business... if the BR takes off and makes cash would you ignore it and turn back to the MMORPG or would you do what Epic did with Fortnite and put the old game on maintenance mode while focusing on the BR cash cow

These guys said said they had a $30M budget and anything raised from Crowdfunding was just for extras.  So unless they lied, it shouldn’t be a question of selling Kingdoms/Spaceships or a BattleRoyale detour.  If what they said was true they should already have enough money to fund the MMORPG.  Right?  Or am I missing something?

MadFrenchietweedledumb99Sabrac[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• cochscochs Member UncommonPosts: 92
    This is why game developers have to be so careful about how they do alpha testing.  Just putting it in the context of a battle royale, they should have known players would jump to conclusions.

Alpha with just a small handful of your core archetypes with a couple of skills each, that's kind of what most games do for early testing.  You need to verify the combat style and flow works well before you move on to fleshing out class design.

They screwed up their alpha though by not qualifying it.  They presented it as this is what the game will look like merely by omission.  You have to know since players are not developers they are going to jump to conclusions unless educated.  You can't blame players for what you know they will do even if their conclusions are wrong.  That ones on you not them.
    [Deleted User]
    cochs said:
    This is why game developers have to be so careful about how they do alpha testing.  Just putting it in the context of a battle royale, they should have known players would jump to conclusions.

Alpha with just a small handful of your core archetypes with a couple of skills each, that's kind of what most games do for early testing.  You need to verify the combat style and flow works well before you move on to fleshing out class design.

They screwed up their alpha though by not qualifying it.  They presented it as this is what the game will look like merely by omission.  You have to know since players are not developers they are going to jump to conclusions unless educated.  You can't blame players for what you know they will do even if their conclusions are wrong.  That ones on you not them.
    What are you talking about?

They announced the BR as a stand-alone game called Apocalypse... and put in a cash shop just for it.

[Deleted User]

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Galadourn said:

As a business... if the BR takes off and makes cash would you ignore it and turn back to the MMORPG or would you do what Epic did with Fortnite and put the old game on maintenance mode while focusing on the BR cash cow

These guys said said they had a $30M budget and anything raised from Crowdfunding was just for extras.  So unless they lied, it shouldn’t be a question of selling Kingdoms/Spaceships or a BattleRoyale detour.  If what they said was true they should already have enough money to fund the MMORPG.  Right?  Or am I missing something?

It's a crowdfunding game... $30M should've already been a red flag. In all likelihood they are suffering the same problems all the others are. Nowhere near enough money to finish the whole thing.

As for your question, that's entirely possible. I'd hope not, but... it's a realistic outcome.
    I have no money invested in any of the crowdfunding titles, so aside from a disappointment of my tempered expectations... I'm not losing anything either way.

Regardless, it's beyond our control either way.
    supx2

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited January 2019
    Still not fetch quest and scripted bosses? Plenty of antisocial nerd tears though.

If you don’t have any haters, youre doing something wrong. Keep it up AoC. Their tears are delicious.
    Post edited by bcbully on
    [Deleted User]Slapshot1188Kylerantweedledumb99Strizzy12[Deleted User]
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • J_JonesJ_Jones Member UncommonPosts: 27
    standard classes, but i think Intrepid can really make them interesting.
  • cochscochs Member UncommonPosts: 92
    cochs said:

This is not the alpha of the MMO and has zero to do with it.  They are testing a stand alone BR with cash shop attached.

Not even sure what you are defending here.

It's exactly what it is they even said it was.   You can put whatever name you want on it and set the context a bit different, but it's testing the core gameplay and what they have of the combat system so far.  It's not like they have a different codebase for this vs the mmo it's all the same for all of the core things that matter.

Unless you really believe they have decided to drop the mmo, which I don't.
    [Deleted User]
  • KirtisKirtis Member UncommonPosts: 39
    edited January 2019

cochs said:

cochs said:

This is not the alpha of the MMO and has zero to do with it.  They are testing a stand alone BR with cash shop attached.

Not even sure what you are defending here.

It's exactly what it is they even said it was.   You can put whatever name you want on it and set the context a bit different, but it's testing the core gameplay and what they have of the combat system so far.  It's not like they have a different codebase for this vs the mmo it's all the same for all of the core things that matter.

Unless you really believe they have decided to drop the mmo, which I don't.

And what "core" would it be that they are testing?

There are no node mechanics involved in this testing as this this is very blunt PvP bashground without any other goals appart from ... well... PvP bashing.

This can't even be called as class testing and balancing, as there are no classes in Apocalypse whatsoever - you just grab a weapon and go bashing others with it. Each round you start with the same axes all over and you might find some other weapons or armors in the area, but that's all - no classes, no character development, no skill builds whatsoever.

So where did you see "Alpha with just a small handful of your core archetypes with a couple of skills each, that's kind of what most games do for early testing."? Did you even took time to login into that crap which you call "testing" of what ever you imagine they might be testing?

The only thing I see them testing is how much money they might grab from cash shop :-) They are not testing even a single thing of their advertised MMO though.
    Galadourn said:

It's a crowdfunding game... $30M should've already been a red flag. In all likelihood they are suffering the same problems all the others are. Nowhere near enough money to finish the whole thing.

As for your question, that's entirely possible. I'd hope not, but... it's a realistic outcome.
    I have no money invested in any of the crowdfunding titles, so aside from a disappointment of my tempered expectations... I'm not losing anything either way.

If I recall properly, It was stated that they already had the $30M because Stephen got so rich from his MLM stuff and selling Xango juice and I think even real estate. So this was not to be a true Crowdfunded game but a self backed one with the Crowdfunding just for extras.

Why do none of the fans question this?  Or am I mistaken?  Pretty sure I remember properly. 

@jahlon seems to be a “do what you say you would” kind of guy from his vids.  I’d love to see him actually press Stephen on this.  I can dig up the old interviews if it would help.

Galadourn said:

If I recall properly, It was stated that they already had the $30M because Stephen got so rich from his MLM stuff and selling Xango juice and I think even real estate. So this was not to be a true Crowdfunded game but a self backed one with the Crowdfunding just for extras.

Why do none of the fans question this?  Or am I mistaken?  Pretty sure I remember properly. 

@jahlon seems to be a “do what you say you would” kind of guy from his vids.  I’d love to see him actually press Stephen on this.  I can dig up the old interviews if it would help.
    As I recall Steven made a qualifier post KSer that he had "access" to $30 million in funding, not that he specifically had $30M in "available" funds nor that he was putting up this entire amount himself. 

In response I think some folks floated stories around about how his mother was the one who really made big money from the MLM business,  and he was more of just a lieutenant in the organization.

As always, Steven's stories always slide around the truth,  without anyone really being able to validate his claims and unsubstantiated urban legends cropping up as facts in many cases.