Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bungie Breaks Up with Activision, Regains Full Destiny Publication Rights - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2019
    bcbully said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Worth remembering that Activision don't, and have never, owned Blizzard. Vivendi bought both and the subsequent buy-out created Activision Blizzard - which subsequently bought King. Maybe there could be a stock market share split but I doubt it.
    Vivendi owned Activision. Activision aquired Blizzard. Bobby Kotick was placed as the head of Acti-Blizz
    Not so. Its messy.

Blizzard Entertainment were acquired by Davidson & Associates in March 1994.
    D&A were taken over by CUC International in 1996.
    1997 CUC merged with Hospitality Franchise Systems, renamed Cendant Software.
    1998 Cendant software acquired by Havas, named Havas Interactive.
    Havas Interactive renamed Vivendi Interactive Universal Publishing in 2001.
    2006 - after more stuff - became Vivendi Games. Which owned Blizzard Entertainment.

Which - after Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft, WoW etc. were without doubt the crown jewels and driving force behind: D&A, CUC, Cendant Software, Havas Interactive, Havas Interactive Universal Publishing and - ultimately - Vivendi Games. All done without an Activision in sight. Until:

2007 Vivendi Games merged with Activision and a holding company called Activision Blizzard was set up.

OK I should have said merger rather than Vivendi bought but th ekey point is that Activision did not buy Blizzard. 

Yes Bobby Kotick became CEO but Bruce Hack - previously the CEO of Vivendi Games - became vice-chairman and CCO (chief operating officer).

And until they split from the rest of Vivendi the impression you always got was that the "Blizzard of old" ran its own ship. As it had been doing since 1994.

Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    I don't Trust the devs of Bungie to make what I want. It feels like to make progress that they add more roadblocks that are not fun. I can't even bring myself to want to log into Destiny.
  • WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    When Immortals tanks (and it will) Blizzard will be filing for bankruptcy. Just wait.
    Gdemami
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855
    When Immortals tanks (and it will) Blizzard will be filing for bankruptcy. Just wait.
    Your post, while ignorant, makes no sense.

Blizzard is owned by Activision Blizzard and Activision Blizzard probably made over $7.5 billion in revenue in 2018.

Thats like saying Diet Sierra Mist will tank and Diet Sierra Mist will go bankrupt.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Xiaoki said:
    Your post, while ignorant, makes no sense.

Blizzard is owned by Activision Blizzard and Activision Blizzard probably made over $7.5 billion in revenue in 2018.

Thats like saying Diet Sierra Mist will tank and Diet Sierra Mist will go bankrupt.
    Apparently like so many,you only see the numbers they want you to see,all looks great...rosey.

This is why there are laws and commissions overlooking all that is stock related because there are people for everything to lie,cheat,manipulate to get rich.
    There should have been a contract in place between Bungie and Acti so i imagine there is way more to it than simply saying Bungie is leaving.
    So much more in the books and behind closed doors that none of us will ever know the truth about.I do have a good understanding on what basically goes on from manipulating numbers in books to different quarters and for various reasons to allowing marketing firms to post over the top numbers in sales to help promote more sales etc etc.

Me personally,all i really care about is finding some real fun games to play.I also will call out any dev i feel is downright trying to scam people,i do not want scummy developers/publishers polluting my game space.I only want to see the MORE honest,will never have any 100% honest businesses but see those good ones get all the credit they deserve.
    GdemamiRoinTacticalZombeh

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    d_20 said:
    Based on what as that is very very vague at best.

Only thing I could imagine is they knew the stock would tank and someone sold off a bunch of shares right before the announcement possibly.

Ambulance chasers would be another possibility.
    We'll see.

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Make Blizzard great again... too!

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited January 2019
    d_20 said:

Only thing I could imagine is they knew the stock would tank and someone sold off a bunch of shares right before the announcement possibly.

WAAAAAAAAY too vague

I agree with your last statement @parrotpholk. Anyone can contact an attorney for any reason, but it's going to be tough to prove malfeasance on the part of execs. I mean...it wouldn't have taken much gray matter to know that breaking with Bungie was going to cause the stock to tank somewhat. 

I think ATVI has made a lot of blunders lately, but knowing how "under the microscope they've been recently, any exec who perpetrated some type of fraud surrounding the break with Bungie would have to be a moron. I don't buy it. :D

While I know it's popular to hate corporations in general and Blizzard in particular, I'll wait and see how it shakes out before I get too excited about some attorney investigating the issue.

[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited January 2019
    SBFord said:
    d_20 said:

WAAAAAAAAY too vague

I agree with your last statement @parrotpholk. Anyone can contact an attorney for any reason, but it's going to be tough to prove malfeasance on the part of execs. I mean...it wouldn't have taken much gray matter to know that breaking with Bungie was going to cause the stock to tank somewhat. 

I think ATVI has made a lot of blunders lately, but knowing how "under the microscope they've been recently, any exec who perpetrated some type of fraud surrounding the break with Bungie would have to be a moron. I don't buy it. :D

While I know it's popular to hate corporations in general and Blizzard in particular, I'll wait and see how it shakes out before I get too excited about some attorney investigating the issue.

Maybe so, but just FYI this law firm is not a group of ambulance chasers. They have won major cases and multi-billion dollar settlements representing investors for share recoveries and so on v the likes of Barclay's, BP, Petrobas, etc. They specialize in this -- representing investors v large corporations.

From an attorney's point of view, they wouldn't be committing the resources and billable hours to it if they didn't think they had a good chance to get something from it. And these things can be settled out of court for pretty substantial sums, so we may never see a filing. Like I said, we'll see. But first you should research that it's not just "some attorney." I don't know who's handling this case or how many attorneys are on it. I would imagine more than one associate or junior partner for a matter like this.
    Post edited by d_20 on

edited January 2019
    Torval said:
    After doing some more reading I do agree with Suzie, it's very vague. On the other hand the first thought that popped into my mind was the same as d_20, and that an established firm wouldn't waste a bunch of money chasing the wind. It will be something to keep an eye on. Isn't there a well publicized window in which you can join?

I'm not big on this kind of litigation. I see it as making a few lawyers rich with few if any other appreciable benefits.
    The lawyers will make their money (but mostly the partners and senior partners who have done their time toiling as associates and junior partners who are the peasants in the fields of billable hours for big firms). When we're talking about rich, lawyers still have to work for their money. Lawyers work for people who are Rich with a capital R. For them, legal fees are just a cost of doing business.

If you're rich, you probably wouldn't want to be actively practicing law or schmoozing clients, judges, etc. on your time off. Even most politicians are not capital R rich, that's why they can be bought off. 

That said, the appreciable benefits are in keeping management accountable -- and of course if the investors get share recovery or a settlement of some sort.
    [Deleted User]