Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anthem: Freeplay Expedition with World Events, Lore, & Bosses - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2019 in Videos Discussion

imageAnthem: Freeplay Expedition with World Events, Lore, & Bosses - MMORPG.com

IGN scored another gameplay video from Anthem. This time, viewers can get a look at 8-minutes of "freeplay expeditions" where players are roaming the world looking for world events, boxxes, lore items or other interesting things to participate in.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 220
    edited January 2019
    so....Destiny with flying?
    chocolate42069Octagon7711KalafaxPanserbjorne39gastovski1infomatzDick1232
  • VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212

You should do some more research.
    chocolate42069Asch126gastovski1InteritusDick1232
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    It's all nice and stuff but I won't believe it's fun until I'll see 75%+ user reviews ratings.

For example, The Division still sucks despite metric ton of money spent on the development: 2+ years after release the game has zero to none PvE balance and both character and end-game equipment progressions aren't streamlined. I cannot even do underground daily quests having new L30 character because they require maxed underground progression level + there is no automated group search so I gotta grind solo.
    Gdemamigastovski1Alexander.BMrMelGibson

Thank you for your time!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    nail in the coffin for me.
    Graphics actually look low end in gameplay,the world mapping is meaningless waste of space.
    everything looks like lanes,very linear almost instance like stops along the way.
    Travel is meaningless,there is no adventuring ,it is simply fly across the barren land to the next hub.
    Plays way more like an arena shooter than an open world one,good if it was an actual arena shooter but it is not.
    All i see is a game that is doing so little,they figured if they add in flying it will intrigue players enough to make up for lack of game.I am not biting on this,looks like a weak effort.

moroelElquin

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    If anyone thinks Destiny 2 was weak,i would play D2 over this in a heartbeat and i don't want to play D2.
    comparing the two
    D2 was worth about 30 bucks,this looks like a 10 dollar bargain bin game to me.
    Asch126Panserbjorne39gastovski1

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    I know they will have a single player campaign but how does that work?  Will there be a hub and we will have our own zones or will it be like SWTOR where everyone is in the same zone doing the same things? 
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    there are multiple things that makes me doubt this game, flying seams gimmicky, combat as far as i've seen seams un engaging, the loot system seams totally rng as far as I've head getting the same items from raids as you will get in a world event, then their down the path destiny saw went and will crash hard. I love looter shooters but this one is no looking good so far, will be fun to see the reviews from players after launch.

I really hope it's good though so i get a new game in that genre to play ! =D
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited January 2019
    I say this on every video.. the lack of any proper music really drains the life and excitement out of this game.

Hopefully, it's just turned off or set to happen less often for demo purposes. The music that is there is so low and monotone that it feels like ambient background instead of a thrilling soundtrack.

The combat looks very satisfying though and the effects are on point. Reminds me of Mass Effect.. but a lot better. This using a better/modified version of the Andromeda engine?
    [Deleted User]
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    They need to learn what an Easter egg is because hidden loot, crafting nodes and codex entries they are not.
    Xarko[Deleted User]
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I say this on every video.. the lack of any proper music really drains the life and excitement out of this game.

Hopefully, it's just turned off or set to happen less often for demo purposes. The music that is there is so low and monotone that it feels like ambient background instead of a thrilling soundtrack.

The combat looks very satisfying though and the effects are on point. Reminds me of Mass Effect.. but a lot better. This using a better/modified version of the Andromeda engine?
    I recently replayed Andromeda (please don't go off topic about this...it's just an example) and one of the big things I noticed was the lack of music and what music was there was pretty "shooter generic" if that makes sense. What really struck me is that in the trilogy, there were epic themes that, when I hear them, I know exactly what was happening.

Long story short, I hope that the Anthem music is memorable. This is the composer:

http://blog.bioware.com/2018/08/20/new-world-new-score-announcing-sarah-schachner-as-anthems-composer/

I'm pretty sure the outpost will have epic music, but it needs to be just as epic out in the world.
    Octagon7711[Deleted User]klash2def[Deleted User]IlayaSabracThaharMadFrenchieinfomatz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    edited January 2019
    Prev composer of COD and assassins creed, not impressed. Edit: They need a soundtrack that represents the game and has such a hook that you remember the game every time you think about it or hear it. Like battlefield, Monkey island, Wow, Elder scrolls etc etc.. not easy to do though
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949

3dom said:

It's all nice and stuff but I won't believe it's fun until I'll see 75%+ user reviews ratings.

For example, The Division still sucks despite metric ton of money spent on the development: 2+ years after release the game has zero to none PvE balance and both character and end-game equipment progressions aren't streamlined. I cannot even do underground daily quests having new L30 character because they require maxed underground progression level + there is no automated group search so I gotta grind solo.

Sadly there is so much wrong about this example. Group search has been in since day one. its called matchmaking and you set the filters to what you are looking for PVP or PVE. There are actually multiple ways. Explore the menu. To matchmake in underground, go to the table in the middle of the room. As far as the game sucking, i wont debate your personal taste..
    SBFordrertez
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    This game needs to be WAY more unforgiving and have better pacing and disruption.

The mobs are useless fodder. They should be able to significantly hurt you if you're not careful and also have defensive reactions to attacks (not necessarily more HP).

Just flying from point to point in a lush world is cute but again there needs to be disruption there. They've somehow figured out how to put an Open World on rails, in a sense, using lack of challenge. Players will just start fast forwarding to whatever "dungeon" or actual challenge the game has eventually.

Lastly if they're sticking with 4 javelin types, why not give them other roles outside of immediate combat? The quick stealthy one could have advanced scout abilities so players are not just being spoon fed every enemy and objectives position on the HUD. Make that apart of the game play.

The more I see, the more I yawn. I know I don't matter in the grand scheme but boy are these developers getting more run of the mill and corny with each year that passes. I thought the detail and ideas were supposed to get more detailed and layered as time went on. The regression is real (gameplay wise)
    Bakgrind
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    i want this game to do well so bad because Bioware is one of the GOAT rpg developers. I cant help but watch this and think about ME:A and how much this looks like a updated version of that game. I'm going to be hopeful for Bioware, but I fear what EA will do if this game doesn't do well.

my audio engineer nerdage is coming out right now, but some of these sound efx are the exact same ones from ME:A especially the guns and jet-pack sounds. I'm not trying to nitpick, just something i noticed.

Game looks fun if you have friends though. I'm going to support it when it releases.

People stop saying this is like Destiny.. nothing here is like Destiny other than "space-person shooting unrealistic guns at space alien scum." Its closer to Warframe if anything but even that is a reach. For me, It looks like ME:A 2.0
    SBFordConstantineMerusSabracThahar
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I have my doubts but I'm still looking towards playing the demo.  That will tell a lot.  Nice of them to even have a demo and invite streamers to talk about the game in advance.  
    SBFordIlayaThahar

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162

jgDuffay said:

Prev composer of COD and assassins creed, not impressed.

Edit:
    They need a soundtrack that represents the game and has such a hook that you remember the game every time you think about it or hear it. Like battlefield, Monkey island, Wow, Elder scrolls etc etc.. not easy to do though

The 3 themes from games that I remember are from Ultima, Monkey Island and Wing Commander.

True, we don't get that much of thematic music anymore, with films as well. Superman theme by Hans Zimmer vs. by John Williams for example. Zimmer used to compose great themes but after Pearl Harbour, I can't remember any memorable theme composed by him.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited January 2019

I have my doubts but I'm still looking towards playing the demo.  That will tell a lot.  Nice of them to even have a demo and invite streamers to talk about the game in advance.  

We live in a world now that is 'nice' for devs/publishers to have demos...../smh Its like saying we should be thankful that only some games sell purely cosmetic dlc or dont have loot boxes. Hell, some people might even think I'm an entitled prick for missing the days where you'd unlock those cosmetics and extra modes through just playing the game.
    [Deleted User]Panserbjorne39
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Albatroes said:

We live in a world now that is 'nice' for devs/publishers to have demos...../smh Its like saying we should be thankful that only some games sell purely cosmetic dlc or dont have loot boxes. Hell, some people might even think I'm an entitled prick for missing the days where you'd unlock those cosmetics and extra modes through just playing the game.
    Lol,  I've always lived in such a world.  It's always been nice for me to try out a demo or free weekend or open beta to checkout a game before it launches.  
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    It's looking good, not great but good.  There's still a lot they haven't really shown so it's hard to comment on anything other than the combat/gameplay which looks top notch.

The enemies seem a little too "bullet spongey" but that's the only real thing that bothered me.  
    Bakgrind
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Looks like a better Warframe to me and way better than destiny.
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    edited January 2019
    Wow this is some kind of tough crowd! Really glad I don't rely on you guys for recommendations. I'd never play a damn thing! and music? really? As a retired music professor the very first thing I do in every game I load up is turn the music off lol. For me it just gets repetitive so fast. As far as flying goes I played a fair amount of Aion about 8 - 10 years ago. Flying never got old in that game.
    Post edited by cmacq on
    hallucigenocide[Deleted User]gervaise1Shodanas
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543

Vexiusx said:

You should do some more research.

True, it's a slower Warframe.
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    "Freeplay exploration", yet the world has nothing to really explore. It all seems dead and barren. Fallout 4 felt more alive than this and that's a game DESIGNED to feel dead after the nukes.
    KaliGold
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423

It's looking good, not great but good.  There's still a lot they haven't really shown so it's hard to comment on anything other than the combat/gameplay which looks top notch.

The enemies seem a little too "bullet spongey" but that's the only real thing that bothered me.  

It's not just the bullet sponge aspect of it. The character healing or rejuvenation appears to be to over the top as well. As it didn't appear that the player even cared how much damage was being done to them So it lacks that certain degree of danger that makes a encounter tactical,skilled and satisfying that you made it through the fight. It looks like all they were doing was swooping in and spamming abilities with pew pew pew and explosions and flying off. The game does have great visuals I will give it that.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    It just oozes with lore. :)