Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Players find a secret hidden Dev room in Fallout 76 with an NPC to harrass

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Well it would make sense to have a area on the live server to test things. Just in case =P

I am also pretty sure that everything in there has a special tag so not only do you flag your account but any account that "touches" these items. Good way to get a ban. 
    Gdemami

This have been a good conversation

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Just another symptom of a singleplayer game poorly converted to a multiplayer game. ;)
    Tiller

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    I seem to recall that WoW has had these sort of areas since the start too.. 

Same goes for City of Heroes back in the day... 

Seems more like a common thing rather than lazy designing.. Or am i wrong? 

This have been a good conversation

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2019
    tawess said:

How many of them allowed players to access them (through mods or otherwise) and recover paint skins that the company hadn't even released yet...  Along with every other item in the game?
    MyrdynnGdemami

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    tawess said:

I've never heard of any developer doing this.  Then again I don't try to turn a game into database search engine.  I'm fine with the smoke and mirrors that make up a game.  
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited January 2019
    Dev rooms, white rooms, test spaces, and GM spaces are relatively common. Sometimes they are as simple as a vestigial whitebox space from an early build left in to test things before formal implementation. Sometimes they are full-fledged components of the game world utilized by developers or community managers.

Access to them is uncommon, as access to them is, in general, supposed to be (almost) impossible for the players.

76 is an exception to that, because Bethesda is bad at security and left elements that PC users could still gain access to.

Think WoW's example is things like they left the entirety of the Old Ironforge, just buried beneath the live version of Ironforge. They also have/had a formal location called GM Island to be used by the GMs(they park their avatars there normally, but it also technically has a prison cell beneath the island that pretty much never gets used any more).

While the Old Ironforge was accessible through glitching, it was also empty. They cleaned it up over time and there is now a hidden door for access (can't remember if there's still an invisible barrier on the door though).

GM Island you as a player cannot reach unless a GM ports you there, as the island is also scripted to cut player's off from targeting commands and abilities if they are ported there for some reason (so external player's can use things like mind vision or /who with them).

76's dev space, by contrast, is a testing box and holdover of the qasmoke testing space that has regularly shown up in their titles which exists, as per it's name, for qa testing purposes of content. It is stupid-easy to access in most their titles because you just use the COC command to teleport there. In 76 you have to enable the command console, which really isn't hard to do on the PC version.
    Post edited by Limnic on
    MadFrenchieGdemami
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    That's what happens when you recycle most of the assets from your previous two games to produce a poorly made cash grab. 
    Gdemamicheyane

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited January 2019
    I've definitely gotten a lot of entertainment from this game without even buying it. Thanks Bethesda.
    cheyane