Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What I Want from ESO’s Next Chapter

Comments

• MenacerxMenacerx Member UncommonPosts: 21

Title should read " Black Desert didn't send me a cool plack so it isn't going to be mmorpgoty" Anyone who says BDO isn'ty a MMOGOTY iis eaithe rpaid off or works for failing developer. Kind feel sick I even click on this shit.

Dude BDO is a failing MMO floundering for players.

And it's hot garbage.
    Mauerickborghive49BlueThunderBearHariken
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

same gameplay, same skills, same mechanics, same systems but just more quests. that's eso since launch, for 4-5 years. i ran all the zones and quests on one character and put down the game before morrowind, still no reason for me to come back. they don't even add dungeons or mounts with expansions but sell them seperately lol(while charging fullxpack price). terrible game model, terrible business model. they don't even bundle past year releases akin to gold edition of first year, like the daedric war arc etc. terrible downloader and patcher too. somehow all they get is praise and excitement.

?

Business Model:
    The current collection is ESO: The Collection. Base game, Gold Edition, Morrowind and Summerset. No sub required. Not sure about your dungeon comment - maybe you are talking about the few dungeon only DLCs - if so its a bit odd yeah but "the expansions" do have "dungeons".

Now I can understand you saying you have no desire to come back. I have said many times that you will get bored before you run out of content. Leave, take a break, maybe return etc. But to do what you say you must have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours in ...... a terrible game? (I don't last an hour in games I don't like.)

They have been giving some mounts away as well but I don't keep track of those.

Octagon7711black_isleYashaX
    edited January 2019

Elidien said:
    1. Less loot boxes. Just tired of them and their randomness. Maybe at least guarantee a rare in each?

Sadly I think even that even Akatosh, the mighty Dragon God of Time, is powerless when it comes to getting rid of loot boxes.
    YashaX
  • EntropyVerseEntropyVerse Member CommonPosts: 9

gervaise1 said:

same gameplay, same skills, same mechanics, same systems but just more quests. that's eso since launch, for 4-5 years. i ran all the zones and quests on one character and put down the game before morrowind, still no reason for me to come back. they don't even add dungeons or mounts with expansions but sell them seperately lol(while charging fullxpack price). terrible game model, terrible business model. they don't even bundle past year releases akin to gold edition of first year, like the daedric war arc etc. terrible downloader and patcher too. somehow all they get is praise and excitement.

?

Business Model:

The current collection is ESO: The Collection. Base game, Gold Edition, Morrowind and Summerset. No sub required. Not sure about your dungeon comment - maybe you are talking about the few dungeon only DLCs - if so its a bit odd yeah but "the expansions" do have "dungeons".

Now I can understand you saying you have no desire to come back. I have said many times that you will get bored before you run out of content. Leave, take a break, maybe return etc. But to do what you say you must have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours in ...... a terrible game? (I don't last an hour in games I don't like.)

Except it not a PC game, they should not market for the PC players; the damn restriction on controls because of Xbox and PS4 controller cant handle too many assigned keys.

Also, the official forum don't even let players make criticism of the game, that speaks the attitude of the Devs.
    YashaXBlueThunderBear
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Also, the official forum don't even let players make criticism of the game, that speaks the attitude of the Devs.
    That's pure horseshit. The official forums have more criticism of the game than you see either here or on reddit. 
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711klash2defSovrathTacticalZombehYashaXBlueThunderBear
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

gervaise1 said:

?

Business Model:

Except it not a PC game, they should not market for the PC players; the damn restriction on controls because of Xbox and PS4 controller cant handle too many assigned keys.

I am sure that when I play it it is on a PC. Yep typing this on a PC. And a lot of people complained initially that the PC interface wasn't like the early games - whatever that meant given that there were differences. However it pushed the design a certain way.

Now if you don't like the controls - that is a different matter. It works fine on PC though. Things don't have to be complex for the sake of being complex - not that the number of skills you have is that limited.

MMI though - Man Machine Interface - is a serious topic of study in the design of an awful lot of products: cars, planes, microwaves  ... and games.

As for the official forums - not sure which ones you have been reading. There is moderation but players complain about all sorts of stuff. I will just post this here - you only need to look at the topics to see the range of stuff that crops up. AS of "now" it includes "complaints" about e.g. lag!
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/general-discussion
    [Deleted User]YashaX
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2019

gervaise1 said:

?

Business Model:

If there are control restrictions then blame ZoS for the limited implementation.

FFXIV lets you map 80+ buttons on a controller. 80+!!!! thanks to the use of modifiers. And the transition between controller UI and mouse/kb UI is impeccable.

Seriously, this was an issue 20 years ago, not today.

gervaise1 said:

?

Business Model:

If there are control restrictions then blame ZoS for the limited implementation.

FFXIV lets you map 80+ buttons on a controller. 80+!!!! thanks to the use of modifiers. And the transition between controller UI and mouse/kb UI is impeccable.

The argument about limited abilities being a sign of design for consoles is as old as the hills and also full of it considering how many PC-only RPGs and MMOs have opted for the same exact type of system as ESO.

It's fair enough to prefer the old fashioned multiple hotbar system over what ESO, GW2 and others chose to do, but it doesn't have a thing to do with consoles.
    [Deleted User]klash2defrojoArcueidYashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• EntropyVerseEntropyVerse Member CommonPosts: 9

gervaise1 said:

?

Business Model:

If that is the case, then ESO has no redeeming feature, it just a bland, untasteful game;
    That refuse to change, refuse to listen, and worse even, censoring constructive criticisms.
    YashaX
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Iselin said:

gervaise1 said:

?

Business Model:

The argument about limited abilities being a sign of design for consoles is as old as the hills and also full of it considering how many PC-only RPGs and MMOs have opted for the same exact type of system as ESO.

It's fair enough to prefer the old fashioned multiple hotbar system over what ESO, GW2 and others chose to do, but it doesn't have a thing to do with consoles.
    If they'd just let me have all my skills on one continuous hot bar, that'd be enough methinks.
    Octagon7711

Iselin said:

gervaise1 said:

?

Business Model:

If they'd just let me have all my skills on one continuous hot bar, that'd be enough methinks.
    Do you use "~" on the keyboard to hotbar/weapon swap or do you use a programmable mouse? I use a mouse and programmed swap to my easiest to reach button so I don't even think about it. It's just automatic reflex for me.

I actually prefer it this way because I just swap and recycle the same 6 buttons on my mouse programmed to 1-5 + R. If they had one single hotbar with 12 abilities I'd hate that because it would require either 12 unique button assignments just for skills (leaving me no room on my mouse for the QOL bindings like mount, sneak, sprint, synergy, potion, etc.) unless I used modifiers.

Even using just a KB and simple mouse, recycling the same "left hand friendly" 1-5 and R with a "~" toggle makes much more sense to me than having to hold down a shift or ctrl modifier or god forbid, 1-0.

IMO multiple hotbars and action combat just don't go together well. That's more suitable to MMOs with ability cooldowns of several seconds over on the hard to reach keys where in a pinch, you could even get away with clicking them, while you keep the short or no CD "spammables" bound somewhere near WASD.

[Deleted User]YashaX

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    The content is there, how many MMOs can you say "They don't need new content for now"? Gameplay, raids, PVP could all do with a makeover.
    [Deleted User]klash2def
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2019
    Iselin said:
    Do you use "~" on the keyboard to hotbar/weapon swap or do you use a programmable mouse? I use a mouse and programmed swap to my easiest to reach button so I don't even think about it. It's just automatic reflex for me.

I actually prefer it this way because I just swap and recycle the same 6 buttons on my mouse programmed to 1-5 + R. If they had one single hotbar with 12 abilities I'd hate that because it would require either 12 unique button assignments just for skills (leaving me no room on my mouse for the QOL bindings like mount, sneak, sprint, synergy, potion, etc.) unless I used modifiers.

Even using just a KB and simple mouse, recycling the same "left hand friendly" 1-5 and R with a "~" toggle makes much more sense to me than having to hold down a shift or ctrl modifier or god forbid, 1-0.

IMO multiple hotbars and action combat just don't go together well. That's more suitable to MMOs with ability cooldowns of several seconds over on the hard to reach keys where in a pinch, you could even get away with clicking them, while you keep the short or no CD "spammables" bound somewhere near WASD.

I agree, it doesn't, but then again, I never really wanted the high-paced action combat for my MMORPGs.  I feel that's one of those "you'll never do it better than regular multiplayer games" areas.

I have an MMO Mouse, so I have 12 buttons within thumb's reach.  I could fit all skills including the two ultimates within a square inch in terms of reaching it with my fingers.  I understand not everyone has one by default, but I also understand that it's not an incredibly expensive or cumbersome piece of equipment to own (not anything like buying and setting up a HOTAS, for instance).  I also rebind keys like Q, V, F, etc. to skills if necessary as they can quickly be used with minimal interruption to moving or aiming (specifically the C/V/B row, as you can easily and quickly raise your thumb from the space bar to press those keys).

It's personal preference, but I think trying to support action combat in an MMORPG is one of the reasons the massively multiplayer portion of these games is going nowhere.  :/

• BalticthunderBalticthunder Member UncommonPosts: 58

same gameplay, same skills, same mechanics, same systems but just more quests. that's eso since launch, for 4-5 years.

Couldn't agree more!

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    I don't know. I feel like I enjoy ESO more than WoW because of its comfortable approach. I agree new anything is always something great to talk about but it was to be well thought out. The World of Warcraftian approach ultimately failed with BFA being the culmination. Blizzard spent so much time adding new stuff to WoW each expansion (and then pretty much dropping it the next - save like pet battles) that it has made the game a mess. Its not cohesive and there is 0 incentive to go back and enjoy the old world. You check old zones and they are barren. Making leveling characters an issue as well.

I dont have that problem in ESO (ESO having its own set of problems of course, but I can deal with these).

Looking forward to the Necromancer class (as its my favorite) and if I had a suggestion for a new system I would either say Spell crafting, new weapon sets, or any character can use any skill and let us cook up our own creation. But I can only imagine what that would do to PvP balance.
    klash2defYashaX

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Iselin said:

gervaise1 said:

?

Business Model:

Regardless the point remains its still a bad design, espeically for a PC based MMO where we have more keys to leverage. GW2 sucks for the same reason. I personally attribute it to the action combat they try to bring It just doesnt work for an RPG. It works for a FPS that wants to have RPG lite mechanics. But if you want diversity in gameplay you definitely need to increase the options the number of skills I am able to use. Otherwise it will all get stale after awhile.

same gameplay, same skills, same mechanics, same systems but just more quests. that's eso since launch, for 4-5 years.

Couldn't agree more!

I could point out that as well as content they have added:
    - a new region post-launch with group orientated quests (subsequently reworked);
    - small scale PvP with Imperial City;
    - a new skill sets and a different type of mission with The Thieves Guild;
    - another new skill set and another new type of mission with The Dark Brotherhood;
    - a total revamp of skills and gear with One Tamriel;
    - housing and items to craft for them; 
    - a new type of PvP and new class with Morrowind 
    - a new skill set and a new crafting profession with Summerset

But what's the point?

You come across as someone who made their mind up long ago that they didn't like the game - which is fine btw - but haven't kept up with the steady drumbeat of things that have been added and are now just posting rubbish.

But what if the game was the same? Are you suggesting that they should have mixed things up every year with radical upheavals? Heard what the next big thing in WoW is by the way? Goes by the name of vanilla.

So far ZoS have done a reasonable job of maintaining the core of what ESO has always been whilst adding stuff that fits. Almost as a given this means that people will at some point get bored but why should they try to re-invent the game every year? If you go to Disney World say you expect .... Disney World with updated / new rides here and there; you don't expect SeaWorld!

Zen can put new stuff in a new ESO game!
    black_isleYashaX
  • BalticthunderBalticthunder Member UncommonPosts: 58
    edited January 2019

gervaise1 said:

Couldn't agree more!

- a new region post-launch with group orientated quests (subsequently reworked);
    - another new skill set and another new type of mission with The Dark Brotherhood;

But what's the point?

You come across as someone who made their mind up long ago that they didn't like the game - which is fine btw - but haven't kept up with the steady drumbeat of things that have been added and are now just posting rubbish.

But what if the game was the same? Are you suggesting that they should have mixed things up every year with radical upheavals? Heard what the next big thing in WoW is by the way? Goes by the name of vanilla.

So far ZoS have done a reasonable job of maintaining the core of what ESO has always been whilst adding stuff that fits. Almost as a given this means that people will at some point get bored but why should they try to re-invent the game every year? If you go to Disney World say you expect .... Disney World with updated / new rides here and there; you don't expect SeaWorld!

Yeah , you are right on some points and probably "5years of the same" is a bit over exaggerated, but last 2 years gameplay and all new stuff they add is really the same over and over again with minuscule improvements here and there to make long time players exciting and keep me playing. I got bored and left game for good. And still have no urge to return.
    The new announcement again sounds of ""the same"" - new unbalanced class, like Warden we had before, new bosses disguised as dragons and new zone with bunch of ESO style quests - sorry , been there, saw it and done it many times before. Lately all the good stuff is only in crown store - it's the main focus of the game for some time now.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949

Maaaan.. HUH?!
    black_isle
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

edited January 2019

gervaise1 said:

Couldn't agree more!

But what's the point?

Yeah , you are right on some points and probably "5years of the same" is a bit over exaggerated, but last 2 years gameplay and all new stuff they add is really the same over and over again with minuscule improvements here and there to make long time players exciting and keep me playing. I got bored and left game for good. And still have no urge to return.
    The new announcement again sounds of ""the same"" - new unbalanced class, like Warden we had before, new bosses disguised as dragons and new zone with bunch of ESO style quests - sorry , been there, saw it and done it many times before. Lately all the good stuff is only in crown store - it's the main focus of the game for some time now.
    Don't disagree. I would expect the majority of players to get bored and leave. I am totally on the same page as you. And the new expansion - as you say - looks like "more of the same" plus some extras. And the cash shop - yeah.

The fundamental question though: is what they are doing a bad thing?

Unlike WoW ESO doesn't "blow everything up". Stuff has been added as long as it fits - so there is "more" to do - but the core remains the same. More akin to EQ1's approach say.

Which means people who like it as it is don't get upset. People who haven't tried it get to experience it - pretty much - as it always has been. But people like you - and me! - and bored others have to keep asking the question: have they added enough "stuff" since I last played to bring me back?

On balance I am fine with their approach. They can focus their creative new stuff energies on the mysterious, will it ever launch, ES6.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    One of the big beefs I have with this game is the inordinate amount of dungeons.  You can spend hours in the cue waiting for a specific dungeon.  I just stopped doing them.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Iselin said:

gervaise1 said:

?

Business Model:

Regardless the point remains its still a bad design, espeically for a PC based MMO where we have more keys to leverage. GW2 sucks for the same reason. I personally attribute it to the action combat they try to bring It just doesnt work for an RPG. It works for a FPS that wants to have RPG lite mechanics. But if you want diversity in gameplay you definitely need to increase the options the number of skills I am able to use. Otherwise it will all get stale after awhile.

There are literally over a hundred different skills to choose from. You can't have access to them all at the same time is all.

For me I don't think I'll ever be going back to ESO due to the extreme unbalance, animation canceling being a pre-req for raiding, and the very underwhelming combat animations (which, because of animation canceling you look like you are having a seizure anyway)
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited January 2019
    I own the collectors edition of ESO

ESO Lacks and what I think needs to change :

Consistence in combat operation.
    -fix skill clipping
    -fix skill animation length to be normailzed for all classes

Game World
    -its such a linear world that people go straight 90% of the time
    -no deviation from the linear straight path zone to zone
    - almost ever zone is created as an entry point bottom or top left or right and the exit is bottom top left or right // its boring as fuck.

Characters and animation
    -im playing Ryl online all over with the hip twisters and how the sword swings, it is exacly like Ryl Online
    - Character models are dated and boring.
    - animations are probably some of the worst in the industry. Lineage 2 has more animation in the breast of its Dark Elf females then an entire ESO character.
    -horse animation ...LOL

Game Content
    -there is none. It is the same vertical climb as every other mmo before it with no deviation from that path way
    - the quest and stories have been played to death in many games squared.
    - Crafting ? Did it before in about 10 other games
    -leveling , exactly the same as every mmo preceding 
    -monsters ? the same
    -Instancing, its boring

again, BDO has done a fresh take on every single point I've listed and round down the eras that most games want to verticalize like grinding. BDO allows people to grind effortlessly killing mass amounts at one time. In ESO if you go kill 50 things it takers hours, in BDO it would take 2 minutes.

Having this troll episode that denies BDO MMORPGGOTY Might be fun for this website, but it missed a great opportunity to reward a company who is actually worth rewarding. MMORPG.COM, the real trolls of the industry. BAN yourselves. Every year your get it wrong, is another year of the same rehashed shit from redundant publishers listening to your words. As a warning : I'm not in a good mood. reply at your own risk.
    Ah yes, BDO.  Or in other words: "Kiting mindless AI while spamming AoE: The Game", such incredible content!  Oh wait, there isn't any.

Edit: Also I think it's cute that you think anyone cares what mood you're in today.  You don't scare anyone.
    Tiller
  • MasoodVoonMasoodVoon Member UncommonPosts: 50
    I come back for the immersion-stories. I could care less for some overhyped new systems. The thing I don't enjoy about the game is how certain class combos have dominated in PVP forever and that AoE damage is king in PVP.
  • KaliGoldKaliGold Member UncommonPosts: 130
    I have to give Zenimax credit, they know how to hype an expansion, in addition to providing loot drops for watching streamers on Twitch. The marketing is really good with this game.

The game itself is very deep in the lore/quest/role play with most of the min/maxing relegated to allocation of champion points. The crafting seems extensive at first blush, but is very limited.

Dungeons are great, but with only four members to the party, they seem more a chore than fun.

Most of the world is surrounded by water, but you cant do anything with it. Walk out a few feet and you die.

Mounts look different but all only have the same 3 basic stats.

I spent 1000 hours with the game early in 2018 and basically got bored because there was nothing worth working on to make my character better outside of champion points.
    gervaise1