Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation: Apocalypse Open Beta Event Begins on January 11th - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Their node system is the only thing that catches my interest for this mmo, since pretty much everything else they promise has been done to death.

This BR side project, my cynicism senses tickle, red flags are starting to raise...

I hope i'm wrong though, i'm rooting for this mmo, i wanna think everything is going to go well, but my experience tells me otherwise.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,255
    edited January 12
    Vesavius said:
    Well, I like the idea of this game as a vehicle to test systems and performance, and to get a bit more funding. i think it's pretty inspired. I will play around in it for sure.
    nope I am only falling for one EQ Landmark scam once in my life

Gdemamikitarad
  • SoybeanSoybean Member UncommonPosts: 81

Vesavius said:

They are also using crowdfunded money and monetizing with a cash shop that was not in the original scope of the game.

They way that i see it is that they are using assets from the main game already developed and a bit of dev time to generate more revenue, which can only be good for the AoC.

How can more revenue not be good for AoC?

In the original scope or not, it's smart. It's as close to free money as they can get at this point from people that choose to buy some cosmetic bits and gives them free valuable feedback on their systems. FAR better this than making virtue space ship models to sell for all eternity.

So it is going to be a f2p BR game and they are going to make extra money from this? How expensive are the cosmetic items going to be again?
  • SoybeanSoybean Member UncommonPosts: 81
    edited January 12

Vesavius said:

Extra revenue for a different source is not necessarily good for the original game AT ALL. For reference see Fortnite: Save the World

Is there some rule that says monies raised from the BattleRoyale must be funneled into the development of the MMO?  Is there something preventing those monies from going directly to Stephen's pocket?  If so please link that info as I'd like to see it.

Information gained from this spin-off game may or may not be beneficial to the MMO.

Dude, it isn't good for you to live in this negative cynical headspace all the time. Yes, what you say here *could* be true, any revenue can be diverted and misused on pretty much any project, but have we seen any prior behaviour to suggest that's the case here?

Please feel free to link me any information that suggests so. I'd like to see it.

Look, the truth is I trust until people do something bad to break that trust. I don't judge them by the actions of others they are not attached to (Fortnite etc) and I take them at their word until they break that word. I don't believe everyone is a scammer out of the gate, just because someone else acted badly. This approach has served me very well up to this point.

As of this point, I see zero reasons to not trust AoC, and I see a lot of value for AoC in the implementation of AoC.

Take that or leave it. I am done debating it with you. You, in turn, are free to just not play the free game and go on with your life as if it didn't exist.

Yeah Slapshot1188! We are all supposed to blindly jump into the abyss and NOT FREAKIN QUESTION! We are supposed to buy, buy, BUY! BUY! overpriced cosmetics with no understanding or explanation for how they are supposed to be applied. We are not supposed to ask how are a bunch of pvpers in a BR game going to improve a mmo? We are not supposed to question where the money is going. We are supposed to just...

"trust Steven"
  • Boreth11Boreth11 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    5+ minutes to login to "solo" game , bunch of gankers at the entrance portal. Usual crap.
    Kylerancheyane

Boreth

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 15,763
    I almost ALWAYS feel at least the need to jump in and at the minimum give a game a fair try but this operation has me not feeling any desire at all.
    First it was Fortnite,looked promising,i came within a whisker of buying it,luckily 1-2 days before i was going to buy in this battle Royale crap starts up.So then i noticed EVERY single streamer was BR and nobody was playing the actual game of FN,so it died quickly.Then i see game after game now,every one of them are starting to fail,then THIS game,another full of broken promises all of a sudden says they are doing some BR testing ...lMAO,how that can be construed to be anything more than a negative idk.

ANY mention of a BR to me is like seeing the letters moba or ARPG,i steer in the complete opposite direction,like avoiding a pot hole in the road.Too bad all these mildly hopeful developers giving us promise of a mmorpg are so incapable of doing their job,it is like witnessing worse than INDIE,more like seeing amateur hour at the local karaoke...sigh.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 211
    edited January 12
    Understandably this is a Fort Nite type full loot gank fest. No character selection or customization. So I tried it for an hour just to see the graphics. But the cash shop implementations seemed to be far more developed and polished than the actual game play options. You'd think they'd bestow you some gamer cash just to test those features as well. Hell, Even Star Citizen does that on PTU. So I'm sitting out AoC for a while until the MMO side get's at least Alpha (and not for $500.00).
  • J_JonesJ_Jones Member CommonPosts: 17
    can't get full impression from this mode, but rlly like how game looks and still excited of mmo.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 411
    I was moderately hyped for AoC, but seeing streams and trying it out for myself has killed any interest I have in this game. The combat is horrible. Not just mediocre like Crowfall had in the Hunger Dome 3 years ago a few months after their Kickstarter, it's laughably bad.

I'm glad I didn't put any money into this. What a trainwreck.
    Torval
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 10,441
    I was moderately hyped for AoC, but seeing streams and trying it out for myself has killed any interest I have in this game. The combat is horrible. Not just mediocre like Crowfall had in the Hunger Dome 3 years ago a few months after their Kickstarter, it's laughably bad.

I'm glad I didn't put any money into this. What a trainwreck.
    I refuse to look at it until there is an MMORPG.  

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• Poison_GirlPoison_Girl Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I've watched some streams with BR mode and I really like how the game looks. I'm not a big fan of BR but really excited of MMO.