Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epic Games Store Now Matches Steam's Refund Policy - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    edited January 2019

Epic should really start making true exclusives besides Fortnite. A new Unreal Tournament would be a start.

Same could be said of valve

But we got the wonderfully received Artifact card game last year! You are absolutely right though. I hope Epic launching its store motivates both companies to start making AAA games again.
    Post edited by immoralthang on
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    SlyLoK said:
    2 hours isn't enough time to decide whether you like the game or not. Needs to be a bit more. However it would be difficult when so many games can be beat 4 or 5 hours. Possibly take it on a game by game basis.
    And you think that it should only be necessary to pay for games if you decide after you're done with them that you liked the game?  I can understand requesting a refund if the game doesn't work properly or it's quickly obvious that it's not what you expected.  But to treat it as a free trial where you can clear half the game with everything working exactly as it ought to, and then decide that you'd rather not pay to finish it and so you request a refund is abuse of the refund policy.
    CazrielcheyaneKyleran
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I went to check out their store the other day and it didn't seem to have much. Origin seems to have way, way more. Unless I went to the wrong place. I went to the epic website and hit the store tab up top. I can't wait until their is more options comparable to steam and gog. At the very least it will hopefully force Steam into losing their current authoritarian, anti-free speech policies.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Quizzical said:
    SlyLoK said:
    2 hours isn't enough time to decide whether you like the game or not. Needs to be a bit more. However it would be difficult when so many games can be beat 4 or 5 hours. Possibly take it on a game by game basis.
    And you think that it should only be necessary to pay for games if you decide after you're done with them that you liked the game?  I can understand requesting a refund if the game doesn't work properly or it's quickly obvious that it's not what you expected.  But to treat it as a free trial where you can clear half the game with everything working exactly as it ought to, and then decide that you'd rather not pay to finish it and so you request a refund is abuse of the refund policy.
    I can send back food , clothing , electronics and other things that I do not like.. Why can't video games get the same treatment? Do you think that industry is above all others?
    SlyLoK said:
    Quizzical said:
    SlyLoK said:
    I can send back food , clothing , electronics and other things that I do not like.. Why can't video games get the same treatment? Do you think that industry is above all others?
    You cannot use clothing, electronics, or many other things for a considerable fraction of their useful life, then decide that you don't like them, and return them for a full refund.  Why would you expect to be able to do so with games?

A lot depends on how often you're returning games.  If you only request a refund on 5% of the games you buy, then I don't have a problem with that, even if I disagree with the reasons you asked for a refund.  If you're requesting a refund on 95% of the games you buy, then for that sort of abuse of the system to become widespread will inevitably lead to developers demanding stricter refund policies that make it possible to actually make money.
    cheyaneKyleran
  • miawanmiawan Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Just wait for steams response. It will kill epic games store instantly. :)
    [Deleted User]BlueThunderBearinfomatz
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2019
    Quizzical said:
    SlyLoK said:
    Quizzical said:
    SlyLoK said:
    You cannot use clothing, electronics, or many other things for a considerable fraction of their useful life, then decide that you don't like them, and return them for a full refund.  Why would you expect to be able to do so with games?

A lot depends on how often you're returning games.  If you only request a refund on 5% of the games you buy, then I don't have a problem with that, even if I disagree with the reasons you asked for a refund.  If you're requesting a refund on 95% of the games you buy, then for that sort of abuse of the system to become widespread will inevitably lead to developers demanding stricter refund policies that make it possible to actually make money.
    To be fair, the video game (distributed electronically, at least) does not have a physical material cost to manufacture, and does not degrade with use.  But I agree with your points on the whole.

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    steams refund policy leaves a lot to be desired im not going to lie, some games take longer than 2h just to bind the controls for, should be more like 4-6 hours allowing people to set up , troubleshoot and run the game and get a decent feel for it.
  • SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138
    I'm wondering, what does Valve thinks about this situation or if they are planning to do anything about it, things seems to have escalated quickly with the recent events.
    [Deleted User]
  • VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226
    Oh yes now its a race. Get the popcorn!
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    edited January 2019
    I am a little wary of them claiming that they have to figure out a solution to review bombing. That would basically be censorship. I mean, if a game deserves to be review bombed, it should be. Do I think that it should be clear (IE: how steam shows graphs, ect)? Absolutely. But people should know why a game got review bombed. Say, if a game adds bad monetization, it should be review bombed and it deserves it. Hell, the whole term "review bomb" is just a bad way to phrase it. That makes it sound like they didn't deserve it, when I would say, most of the time they do. Companies don't just get randomly review bombed. There is always a reason. Are they always good ones? Maybe, maybe not. That should be information that is available to you, to let you decide.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    2 hours from time of purchase? it should be no more than 2 hours spent playing the game, time of purchase isn't relevant as everyone downloads at different rates, so if it takes you over 2 hours to download the game, then you don't get a refund if the game is bad? hopefully that was just a misinterpretation as 2 hours from time of purchase would not be a good deal. :/
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    Honestly I am not sure why people are so sided on this type of thing. Nothing being discussed or changed makes improvements on the customer side, its just other people fighting over your money. Not once was something like this said "oh hey with epics lower take on sales we can lower the games retail price!".

Me personally I am fine with less launchers and happy to have everything in steam, however I am open to new platforms if they offer some benefit to me as the customer I'm just not seeing anything like that yet.

Also it will be interesting to see if epics lower % take offsets what might end up being lower overall sales because I would imagine due to steams large footprint the platform itself generates alot of sales for the small and middle sized dev's aka we all browse steam for new titles, not sure how many people browse the epic store for new titles.
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    Datastar said:
    steams refund policy leaves a lot to be desired im not going to lie, some games take longer than 2h just to bind the controls for, should be more like 4-6 hours allowing people to set up , troubleshoot and run the game and get a decent feel for it.
    Sure and some games are completed in 4-6 hours...its a tough nut. I would suggest that maybe 3 hours is the right spot to allow time to get configured trouble shoot any issues and still have an hour or two to decide if you like the game which really should be amply time to decide if you like your purchase or not.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Phry said:
    2 hours from time of purchase? it should be no more than 2 hours spent playing the game, time of purchase isn't relevant as everyone downloads at different rates, so if it takes you over 2 hours to download the game, then you don't get a refund if the game is bad? hopefully that was just a misinterpretation as 2 hours from time of purchase would not be a good deal. :/
    On Steam, it's 14 days from time of purchase or 2 hours played. If Epic is matching their policy, it'd be the same. 
    --------------------------------------------
  • syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    does this mean we get to get rid of all of those godamn pixel indie games like steam has?
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Epic should really start making true exclusives besides Fortnite. A new Unreal Tournament would be a start.

Half Life 3?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited January 2019
    Sabrac said:
    I'm wondering, what does Valve thinks about this situation or if they are planning to do anything about it, things seems to have escalated quickly with the recent events.
    They were not threatened enough to lower their cut so this will likely do little to illicit a response.

Fortnite alone gave Epic a large base already logging in daily so some success is all but guarenteed. 

A major shift will have to happen for Steam to really need to respond beyond changing a refund policy.

Fortnite user a lot of them are on console, and not pc gamers so most of them won't ever see the store. Even so still tons of people Epic still got long ways to go even how much money they have. I am sure Valve will response but not on the refund policy. Making it any better will usely make dev leave steam even more or put their game on epic store first.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited January 2019
    Maybe is good for gamers or not. Got to wait and see if Tencent don't try to push Epic to do things that gamers don't agree with or dev.

Is like this Epic Overload is Tencent, and Valve Overload is Gabe.

Kyleran
    mmrv said:
    Datastar said:
    Sure and some games are completed in 4-6 hours...its a tough nut. I would suggest that maybe 3 hours is the right spot to allow time to get configured trouble shoot any issues and still have an hour or two to decide if you like the game which really should be amply time to decide if you like your purchase or not.
    Maybe it would be better to say, you can only go beyond this particular point if you agree that your purchase will not be refunded.  Have that point be perhaps a couple of hours of active playtime into a long game, or less into a short one.  That way, time fussing with installation or keybinds or whatever doesn't count.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    I think opt-in user reviews is fine. If a company doesn't have the confidence to allow user reviews on what they've created, then chances are it's not worth buying in the first place. Their lack of user reviews would, to me at least, serve the same function as a 'mostly negative' review average on Steam.

If you're not willing to stand behind something you're selling, I'm not going to buy it. Period.
    Kyleran

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

Are you playing Artifact? Its the brand new Valve game with lots of multiplayer and ingame purchases and dubious monetization nobody here is talking about. Its also pretty good but very convoluted.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Not changing from steam to Epic games unless they can offer the following.

- Reviews that cannot be hidden, or disabled by Developers or game moderators (Only reported if offensive language for example and such to be removed.)

- 5MB, not Mega Bit / Sec downloads like on Steam

- DRM Free games, or rather No Third Party DRM such as Denuvo, only DRM allowed is DRM made by the developers themselves such as "Origin" or "Uplay" No Denuvo titles.

This is the only way I would ever use Epic Games store over Steams.
    BlueThunderBearCyberFrog
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Renoaku said:

Not changing from steam to Epic games unless they can offer the following.

- Reviews that cannot be hidden, or disabled by Developers or game moderators (Only reported if offensive language for example and such to be removed.)

- 5MB, not Mega Bit / Sec downloads like on Steam

- DRM Free games, or rather No Third Party DRM such as Denuvo, only DRM allowed is DRM made by the developers themselves such as "Origin" or "Uplay" No Denuvo titles.

This is the only way I would ever use Epic Games store over Steams.

Steam does a lot better than 5MB downloads. Personally get 50MB almost all the time.
    PhryRenoaku
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    No chance of me going to Epic games store for sure. Their leads are known to do quite a few things for the money and they are just riding fortnite in hopes of getting an additional income as they know they will NEVER make anything remotely as popular as fortnite.. And then i mean the BR version ofc. As the REAL fortnite died after release. Satm it is a Steam store without decent deals, low amount of games, no social features, there still are clouded clauses in the ToS and no third-party vendor key redeems (because lets be honest... Good bit of Steam games being bought arent fullpriced released games.. They either are on discount or you can find a cheaper Steamkey somewhere)
    For me i hope different stores get the hype and growth instead.. Even the Discord store deservese my respect more than this.
    ChildoftheShadowsCelciusGdemami
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED