Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How did you come up with your avatar/forum name and most pathetic in-game name you used?

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited January 2019
    Industrial lasers have made my fortune so laserit is just a shameless plug ;)
    ConstantineMerusUngoodPhaserlightAlBQuirky

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Mine comes from when I was 8 years old and going online on the original starcraft. I couldn't figure out a username, I was at my grandmas house and I saw a panther ceramic figure, and I typed 4 random numbers. It's just kinda been my username ever since. 

Most pathetic in game name? Probably when we had a Mcdonalds themed guild in Warhammer and all of us had mcdonalds product names. I think I was Shamrock Shake. Oh boy highschool was a time. 
    PhaserlightAlBQuirky
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Forgrimm was the first character I made in EQ back in '99. It was a variation on Thorgrim, a character in the 1982 Conan movie.
    ConstantineMerusAlBQuirky
  • CanPantherCanPanther Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited January 2019
    I was forced into mine. At the time of BBSs (dial-up bulletin board systems) in the very early 90s, when most sites were limited to 10 character names, I tried using the handle BlkPanther, as the large cat was always a personal favorite. They are absolutely beautiful creatures; powerful, muscular, graceful. I knew about the name's history in politics but it had been 20+ years since they were in the mainstream news and were pretty much defunct at the time. But once people found out I was white, the shit hit the fan and the hate mail started pouring in. I took it for a while, tried to argue my point about the animal, but it didn't matter. It was easier just to rename myself to Canadian Panther, CanPanther for short. 
    UngoodAlBQuirky
    You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
    You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
    I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose Freewill

- Rush, Freewill (Album: Permanent Waves)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I took my name from an evil wizard in the 80s version of Bards Tale 1. Unfortunately I didn't Google it first so it really should have been Kylearan I believe.

Lame names? Many I'm sure, like my Infiltrator in DAOC, Zero, or maybe ripping off a band name a few times, using Tragically Hip in Vanguard and Tenacious D for a healer once in WOW I think. (I really liked that last one)

These days I'm on a "religious" theme creating characters with the names Trinity and Covenant. 

UngoodConstantineMeruslaseritPhaserlightAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    One thing that are more important are why people insisting on having numbers after the name?
  • KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687
    I'll be honest. I stole the name from my GM in EQ. I was a Crimson Tide Fan and had never seen Crimson spelled that way. Used it for the past 21 years.

AlBQuirky

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    edited January 2019
    Maurgrim said:
    One thing that are more important are why people insisting on having numbers after the name?
    Usually it pertains to the username without the numbers being taken and not wanting to make a new username. 
    UngoodOctagon7711KyleranAlBQuirky
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Maurgrim said:
    I will often end up with Ungood1984, because Ungood was taken, as I am obviously not the Trend Setter I think I am, I have also ended up with names like "DoublePlusUngood1984" because it seems there are a lot of people that like this handle.
    AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I just pick what I like.  If it's already taken or add numbers or just pick a new name.  Worst names ever picked were for alphas and betas only lasting til wipe.
    AlBQuirky

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    edited January 2019
    I don't know about the rest of you, but mine's a family name...

But seriously, I came up with a name that I thought would be kind of gross for my Uruk Black Arrow in LOTRO PvMP, so Gutlard.

Which also happens to be a pathetic name that I still love to use obviously, along with: Thunderfart, Thundershart, Cropduster, Guttplug (G replaces B for the slower readers), Windbreaker, Buttburps, Beorgut (Beorning name in LOTRO, play on Beer gut), I try to work Gut into most of my names, which my friends are tired of, but I like it so screw them.

Oh, and I guess the numbers in my name are silent...

Gut Out!
    SovrathlaseritKyleranAlBQuirky

What, me worry?

• BossChonoBossChono Member UncommonPosts: 23

I am a fan of Japanese wrestling, old and new.  Most of my names have something to do with that.  Masahiro Chono is one of the guys that got me into it... and he's a boss lol.

NWO Typhoon for life!!

PhaserlightAlBQuirkyPalebane
  • ElalandElaland Member UncommonPosts: 40
    My avatar name is from one of the first characters I played extensively -  in the original Guild Wars.  I took pieces from my real life first, middle, and last name.  It was originally in two parts - El Aland.  My avatar pic is from that GW1 character (an elementalist).

I try to use something unique to every game character, and I NEVER use a number because I like the challenge of coming up with something no one else has.
    AlBQuirky
    Ungood said:
    Maurgrim said:
    I will often end up with Ungood1984, because Ungood was taken, as I am obviously not the Trend Setter I think I am, I have also ended up with names like "DoublePlusUngood1984" because it seems there are a lot of people that like this handle.
    I liken your username to an imaginary Sergio Leone spaghetti western

the Good the Bad and the Ungood ;)

or maybe Clint Eastwood's the Ungood ;)
    KyleranAlBQuirky

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Maurgrim said:
    Because I am the 13th Blueturtle in a very exclusive group of blue hued turtles. 
    I keep thinking Game of Thrones:

First of her name

Stormborn of the Pacific Turtles

Mother of Shelled Reptiles

Leader of Blue

KyleranAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Kyleran said:
    I took my name from an evil wizard in the 80s version of Bards Tale 1. Unfortunately I didn't Google it first so it really should have been Kylearan I believe.

Lame names? Many I'm sure, like my Infiltrator in DAOC, Zero, or maybe ripping off a band name a few times, using Tragically Hip in Vanguard and Tenacious D for a healer once in WOW I think. (I really liked that last one)

These days I'm on a "religious" theme creating characters with the names Trinity and Covenant. 

@Kyleran - man that was such a letdown, sir.  After the jokes about how "Kyle+ran away" and left his squadmates to die or something when they annoyed him, now I find it's not even related :frowning:
    KyleranAlBQuirky
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Lokero said:
    Kyleran said:

@Kyleran - man that was such a letdown, sir.  After the jokes about how "Kyle+ran away" and left his squadmates to die or something when they annoyed him, now I find it's not even related :frowning:
    I agree. Every time I see a Kyleran post, I hear "I ran ( so far away )" by Flock of Seagulls in the background.

Sorry... I just had to ;)
    Kyleran[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyUngood

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I've used Mendel for cRPGs since Wizardry 1 or Bard's Tale 1.  I think I chose it because the name length in many early games wasn't long enough for Chaselon, which I had used in RP games since 1975.  My first serious D&D character was Chaselon, named after an obscure alien life form Green Lantern.

Mendel stuck for online gaming.  It's one of the names that can fit almost any cultural setting depending on the pronunciation.  It's been with me since EQ1, Rodcet Nife server.  These days, it's difficult to find it available on many online games.

The last name, Indigestible, came from EQ1, when I couldn't manage to avoid getting eaten by cats or bears.

AlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited January 2019
    Lokero said:
    Kyleran said:

Funny story, I'm playing a Minstrel in early DAOC days, best hybrid ever, with hyper speed, stealth, mezzing, stuns, and buffs, every 8 man never leaves home without one, especially in PVP.

With this great tool chest a Minstrel can almost always escape a fight while everyone else dies horribly.

Which is exactly what I did,  whenever the battle turned south I would sprint away and stealth,  almost always surviving the fight.

My realm mates would die, and reform at the portal keep and would have to wait while I ran back.

Some would get quite pissy, and demand I fight to the death and respawn with them all, but it goes totally against my grain to fight a battle and not survive it.

Unfortunately the game offered no reward for surviving a fight, only for making kills, so I understood why my teammates desired me to do so.

I ended up joining the FFA PVP server Mordred and found the focus was more on winning the fight and holding your guilds claimed keep rather than trading keeps pointlessly (IMO) just to earn more realm points.

It's why I ultimate ended up in EVE, PVP with a purpose, and a huge focus on not just winning fights, but surviving them as well. (Full loot and ship loss changes player's motivations entirely)

LokeroAlBQuirky[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited January 2019
    Hateful was the Callsign of my first Scout/Sniper platoon in the Marine Corps. So, I used that. It's just coincidence (read some of my older posts) that it fits my personality so well.

The Icon is the Night Lords of WH40K Infamy. Their gig is creating terror wherever they go even as far as using it as a weapon to demoralize their enemies. They also follow Chaos undivided which means they are just in it or the Lulz and lootz. Much like myself.

The worst name I ever used in any game, was in Tera, a Female Archer (I think?) named Gigglefart.
    MadFrenchieConstantineMerusAlBQuirky

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Forum Name: AlBQuirky
    Al: a shortened form of my first name (Albert/Allen/Alduin/Alphonso/Aluicious)
    B: a state of being
    Quirky: Me in a nutshell

I came up with it on the ancient AOL message boards after going through many screen names in the late 90's.

From Baldur's Gate 2. The avatar on my machine is called "Cernd", though I have no idea who this is in the game as I have not played it for very long. I just liked his long hair and "Native American" look.

Worst In Game Name:
    Kuhnnyng L'Yngwyst
    My level 38 Half-Elf Bard in EQ. I love Bond Films and in Tomorrow Never Dies (1997), Monneypenny says this to James, "You always were a cunning linguist." I love the play on words :)
    ConstantineMerusCryomatrixlaseritMendelUngood

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Dauzqul

I wish there was something cool about it. I literally slapped my keyboard and had gotten something like this: agdisbdjsgdauzquldbsjsb.

CryomatrixAlBQuirky
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited January 2019
    This name I have used for a long time.  It was a random generation from DAoC

I used to use Aeolian which I got from looking through the Complete Bard's Handbook for 2nd ed AD&D (it is a people and a harp)

I used to use the name RePuBLiK back in the BBS days named after a club in Calgary

I think the worst name I ever used was Nameless (This was stolen from the Nameless Bard from Forgotten Realms novels and I ran a guild name. . sigh. . the Harpers.  This was in the Realm

I also used Bane. Meridian 59 . or Bane as a last name. . so Baresh Bane  (Baresh was also a random gen from WoW.)

I have evolved into using Aethaeryn, Aethus, Aethaer. . etc. etc. or Gil. . Gilandis, Gilnor, Giladin etc.  I am an alt-aholic and this was easier on my guild

I think the worst name was my brother using Rand.
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerusAlBQuirky

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Used to go by Vermillion.  There a character I liked in a fighting game named Vermillion.  Didn't know it was a color.  Raventhal came along later and I just use it a s as sir name for a lot of characters. 

My lamest name likely was Verantsucks because I couldn't get any names through EQ naming process.  Logged in and the name was changed to Verasus which is a name I still use. 

Newest name I use is Alaris.  Character in a book.  Thought the name was pretty cool. 
    ConstantineMerusAlBQuirky