Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation: Apocalypse Open Beta Event Begins on January 11th - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Tiller said:
    Why do I get the feeling this is being rushed out the door and isn't truly ready for primetime?
    Other than the fact that it “launched” weeks ago and they had to bring it down until now? Or that chunks of their website and forums are still down?

Dunno...
    KyleranGdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited January 2019
    lost all the hope on Ashes as soon as they published this BR + cash shop crap
    Riannes
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Well, BR did save Boss Key Produc....oh wait, nevermind....
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

bcbully said:

So here you have a small independent dev who has actully produced a good looking playable version of their game (faster than any I can recall), and we got the need bergaid bashing them because they don’t have any fetch quests todo or scripted npcs to fight.

Huh?  There is a playable version of the MMO?  That would be real news! 
    Unfortunately no... there is a playable(?) BattleRoyale with a working cash shop.
    Two very different things.

Yes a playable version. I’m gonna let you in on something, keep it quite, ok? BRs are fricken. They have a high fantasy BR that looks damn good. Like I said sorry they haven’t added the fetch quest for you and the 20 other haters on this site, but I’m sure the rest of the gaming community will be just fine.
    Riannes[Deleted User]KyleranSlapshot1188
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RiannesRiannes Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Not going to buy this one. Very shady.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    So they were working on a MMO then Fortnite goes nuts and they whip out a BR in like 10 seconds to make some quick cash?
    [Deleted User]
  • Haki88Haki88 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited January 2019
    At beggining i was excited, pledged, heard about BR and got dissapointed, also i dont like store, i mean game is not even out and they are selling things from 75$ to 250$, like am looking new star citizen -.-  Dont get me wrong but i understand kickstarter, because kickstarter is one thing and after kickstarter is done thats it, you cant sell again things.

I will play this game but just to see how is it, i lost all hope that this game is going to be something amazing, but maybe am wrong..

Ps: They still didnt merged all my data from previous website :(
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Arterius said:
    bcbully said:

bcbully said:

So here you have a small independent dev who has actully produced a good looking playable version of their game (faster than any I can recall), and we got the need bergaid bashing them because they don’t have any fetch quests todo or scripted npcs to fight.

Unfortunately no... there is a playable(?) BattleRoyale with a working cash shop.

Yes a playable version. I’m gonna let you in on something, keep it quite, ok? BRs are fricken. They have a high fantasy BR that looks damn good. Like I said sorry they haven’t added the fetch quest for you and the 20 other haters on this site, but I’m sure the rest of the gaming community will be just fine.
    Sure but they promised a MMO not a BR. So us being upset is well deserved. It someone offered you a top of the line hamburger but bought you McDonalds you would be pretty upset I would like to think
    Also their MMO wasn't supposed to be full of fetch quests, not sure why he keeps building up this strawman that no one is asking for.

Where is the awesome node system they touted during the KSer, now that is something worth seeing, probably the one really unique feature they promised, and yet so far we've seen no evidence of its development. 

Instead we get a formulaic BR in an era of far too many.....

[Deleted User]GdemamiSlapshot1188[Deleted User]Sabrac

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    I had installed it for this one. It is a test for some pvp fighting and has a omnipresent cash shop. Want to look special in Alpha testing without fun? Very disappointing.

I had some hopes for this one and understand, they do it to earn money, but cash for nothing during alpha leaves a bad taste. No, thank you.
  • hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    what? an open beta free? no need to pay for apha pre release test? cant believe it
    ok, i'll check it! :)
    hyllyh said:
    what? an open beta free? no need to pay for apha pre release test? cant believe it
    ok, i'll check it! :)
    It will be "F2P" at launch too.

In other news "F2P" Fortnite made over $3B in 2018.

;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    bcbully said:

bcbully said:

What are you rattling on about?  Fetch quests?  I didn’t know that was a big feature in their promised MMORPG.

And yes they produced a playable(except for having to bring it down for the last few weeks) version of a BattleRoyale not a playable version of their MMO.  If your agrugemnt is that you prefer BR games to MMORPGs well.. OK.  Different Strokes for different folks, but 18 months to produce an Alpha BR isn’t exactly record setting either.
    Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414
    edited January 2019
    They totally have stopped talking about the things that made people exited over Ashes, that is the thing that worries me. What happened to the political system tied to the node system, that was also a really interesting feature. We might get a node control game.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228
    Anyone getting Everquest Next vibes?
    Kyleran
    Anyone getting Everquest Next vibes?
    Hmm, interesting parallels between projects, good observation there.
    Gdemami

• hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    ok, logged in, tried it then uninstalled it
    horrible BR thing
  • SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Their node system is the only thing that catches my interest for this mmo, since pretty much everything else they promise has been done to death.

This BR side project, my cynicism senses tickle, red flags are starting to raise...

I hope i'm wrong though, i'm rooting for this mmo, i wanna think everything is going to go well, but my experience tells me otherwise.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    edited January 2019
    Vesavius said:
    Well, I like the idea of this game as a vehicle to test systems and performance, and to get a bit more funding. i think it's pretty inspired. I will play around in it for sure.
    nope I am only falling for one EQ Landmark scam once in my life

Gdemamikitarad
  • SoybeanSoybean Member UncommonPosts: 111

Vesavius said:

They are also using crowdfunded money and monetizing with a cash shop that was not in the original scope of the game.

They way that i see it is that they are using assets from the main game already developed and a bit of dev time to generate more revenue, which can only be good for the AoC.

How can more revenue not be good for AoC?

In the original scope or not, it's smart. It's as close to free money as they can get at this point from people that choose to buy some cosmetic bits and gives them free valuable feedback on their systems. FAR better this than making virtue space ship models to sell for all eternity.

So it is going to be a f2p BR game and they are going to make extra money from this? How expensive are the cosmetic items going to be again?
  • SoybeanSoybean Member UncommonPosts: 111
    edited January 2019

Vesavius said:

Extra revenue for a different source is not necessarily good for the original game AT ALL. For reference see Fortnite: Save the World

Is there some rule that says monies raised from the BattleRoyale must be funneled into the development of the MMO?  Is there something preventing those monies from going directly to Stephen's pocket?  If so please link that info as I'd like to see it.

Information gained from this spin-off game may or may not be beneficial to the MMO.

Dude, it isn't good for you to live in this negative cynical headspace all the time. Yes, what you say here *could* be true, any revenue can be diverted and misused on pretty much any project, but have we seen any prior behaviour to suggest that's the case here?

Please feel free to link me any information that suggests so. I'd like to see it.

Look, the truth is I trust until people do something bad to break that trust. I don't judge them by the actions of others they are not attached to (Fortnite etc) and I take them at their word until they break that word. I don't believe everyone is a scammer out of the gate, just because someone else acted badly. This approach has served me very well up to this point.

As of this point, I see zero reasons to not trust AoC, and I see a lot of value for AoC in the implementation of AoC.

Take that or leave it. I am done debating it with you. You, in turn, are free to just not play the free game and go on with your life as if it didn't exist.

Yeah Slapshot1188! We are all supposed to blindly jump into the abyss and NOT FREAKIN QUESTION! We are supposed to buy, buy, BUY! BUY! overpriced cosmetics with no understanding or explanation for how they are supposed to be applied. We are not supposed to ask how are a bunch of pvpers in a BR game going to improve a mmo? We are not supposed to question where the money is going. We are supposed to just...

"trust Steven"
  • Boreth11Boreth11 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    5+ minutes to login to "solo" game , bunch of gankers at the entrance portal. Usual crap.
    Kylerancheyane

Boreth

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I almost ALWAYS feel at least the need to jump in and at the minimum give a game a fair try but this operation has me not feeling any desire at all.
    First it was Fortnite,looked promising,i came within a whisker of buying it,luckily 1-2 days before i was going to buy in this battle Royale crap starts up.So then i noticed EVERY single streamer was BR and nobody was playing the actual game of FN,so it died quickly.Then i see game after game now,every one of them are starting to fail,then THIS game,another full of broken promises all of a sudden says they are doing some BR testing ...lMAO,how that can be construed to be anything more than a negative idk.

ANY mention of a BR to me is like seeing the letters moba or ARPG,i steer in the complete opposite direction,like avoiding a pot hole in the road.Too bad all these mildly hopeful developers giving us promise of a mmorpg are so incapable of doing their job,it is like witnessing worse than INDIE,more like seeing amateur hour at the local karaoke...sigh.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    edited January 2019
    Understandably this is a Fort Nite type full loot gank fest. No character selection or customization. So I tried it for an hour just to see the graphics. But the cash shop implementations seemed to be far more developed and polished than the actual game play options. You'd think they'd bestow you some gamer cash just to test those features as well. Hell, Even Star Citizen does that on PTU. So I'm sitting out AoC for a while until the MMO side get's at least Alpha (and not for $500.00).
  • J_JonesJ_Jones Member UncommonPosts: 27
    can't get full impression from this mode, but rlly like how game looks and still excited of mmo.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    I was moderately hyped for AoC, but seeing streams and trying it out for myself has killed any interest I have in this game. The combat is horrible. Not just mediocre like Crowfall had in the Hunger Dome 3 years ago a few months after their Kickstarter, it's laughably bad.

I'm glad I didn't put any money into this. What a trainwreck.
    [Deleted User]