Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Child Like

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Tiller said:
    lol based on the past threads I have seen, including this one the OPs avatar is fitting.
    Glad you brought this up, It's the mad squirrel on a rock and yes, it's fitting.

Anyway,
    I find it intriguing how angry people get over topics such as this.  Why are people taking it so personally ?....... mmorpg's are extremely easy !..... It's crystal clear !

Young children develop basic hand eye coordination around ages four and up.  mmorpg combat is made where it's almost impossible to die even going into the late stages of the game.  mmorpgs are set to capture even the very young children.

It's very simple really, yet with topics like this many tend to over complicate it... Often people ask "define simple".... I'm like really ?   You want me to explain how a player can round up the entire zone, then hit the world wind key, kill everything and take no damage.

Are people taking it as I'm insulting their ego.  Well, I'm not insulting anyone.  I'm stating mmorpgs are easy I'm not blaming YOU !... It's like people are taking it as a direct attack... Why ?

People come in all shape and sizes,
    -Some adults are fine with extremely child like combat.  They want combat taken out of the equation TO ENJOY THE GAME.....Fine, they find the enjoyment else ware. 

Some adults like combat to be a little more than kill everything with one shot.  They want some kind of basic challenge.

I personally like a basic challenge...BASIC CHALLENGE, It's not for everyone.  Enjoyment comes in many shapes.  Yet no one else wants a basic challenge other than me ?

If combat degree was measured on a scale of 1 to 10.... Everyone want's 1 !!!!.... No one else wants 5 or 6 ?..... am I that alone ?..... If so I need new friends.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    If you want challenge in an MMO (or any game for that matter) go do the PvP.
    Kyleran

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited January 2019
    EDIT:

On second though, message deleted. I realized I would have been wasting my time arguing with an idiot

/EDIT

Grunty

immodium said:
    If you want challenge in an MMO (or any game for that matter) go do the PvP.
    Its sad that on a combat scale of 1 to 10.... mmorpgs being a "1", the player has to count on PvP to have any sort of challenge.

I don't understand the (or any game for that matter), MOST games are a "6"
    Better yet a difficulty setting from "2>10"

At least you acknowledge no challenge in mmo's
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    It seems Amathe and Jean_Luc are related, don't know why, just seems that way :|
    Its the Beard  :p
    Kyleran
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Man I love your threads, every time I open one it feels like an adventure - anything can happen!

MMORPGs cannot have hard or complicated combat if team play becomes more important than individual skill for 'victory'. Same thing applies to sports as well. Since you're a fellow martial artist I think you'd get exactly what I mean. 
    delete5230Scot
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Man I love your threads, every time I open one it feels like an adventure - anything can happen!

MMORPGs cannot have hard or complicated combat if team play becomes more important than individual skill for 'victory'. Same thing applies to sports as well. Since you're a fellow martial artist I think you'd get exactly what I mean. 
    Think of it like this.

Long ago and far away people who were very skilled in martial arts or sword fighting were highly effective in combat, mowing down hordes of regular Joe's in any battle based on their "skill".

Thing is, there are hordes of "joes" so some enterprising person invented....the Long Bow.

Individually it requires a decent amount of skill, but in a horde of 1000 arrows per volley of lethal efficiently can be achieved by almost anyone strong enough to pull it back, even children.

For those who couldn't manage bows, well that's where Pikemen come into play.

Fast forward to more modern times, the bow has been replaced by firearms, now even children can be handed an AK-47 and be a serious threat against trained special forces, especially if in great number.

Sure, RA still beats home guard but recall one of the greatest armies on earth lost in Vietnam not to the RA, but rather the well armed home guard always in the shadows.

So is it surprising MMOs take the approach of making the average Joe feel he's effective, or else why would they want to even play, or who would want them on their team?

ConstantineMerusPalebanemmolou

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Think of it like this.

Long ago and far away people who were very skilled in martial arts or sword fighting were highly effective in combat, mowing down hordes of regular Joe's in any battle based on their "skill".

Thing is, there are hordes of "joes" so some enterprising person invented....the Long Bow.

Individually it requires a decent amount of skill, but in a horde of 1000 arrows per volley of lethal efficiently can be achieved by almost anyone strong enough to pull it back, even children.

Fast forward to more modern times, the bow has been replaced by firearms, now even children can be handed an AK-47 and be a serious threat against trained special forces, especially if in great number.

Sure, RA still beats home guard but recall one of the greatest armies on earth lost in Vietnam not to the RA, but rather the well armed home guard always in the shadows.

So is it surprising MMOs take the approach of making the average Joe feel he's effective, or else why would they want to even play, or who would want them on their team?

Love your story,
    Its like your saying the Long bow replaced open hand, then the AK-47 replace the Long bow.

BUT, and I'll stress this people on average don't carry guns.  Pull a gun, automatic jail time or close too it. 

I have a future sun in law, that carries.  The guy is a loose cannon, he'll be locked up in no time because he watches all the stupid gun rights activists Youtubes.  I can't wait to say I told you so, when he's shouting his rights in a cell at 2 am. Then paying 10 ousands in legal fees to prove it. 
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:

Think of it like this.

Coordination is much harder to achieve in doing complicated actions for larger groups of people. You need to keep the actions simpler. Here's another example; synchronized dancing of groups is wonderful, but the moves are much more simple, same dancers can do much more complicated moves when they are performing solo. Now imagine a boss fight with a large group of people. Coordination is much more important than individual combat skills. It always has been like that. I'm not saying individual doesn't have a role. I'm saying when you design your game for large group of people to play together, you have to simplify the combat on the individual level. 

I hope I'm making sense, you caught me at the happy hour. 
    delete5230Kyleran
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523

BUT, and I'll stress this people on average don't carry guns.  
    Hehe, just goes to prove how out of touch you really are.

My sister-in-law carries a taser and a gun.  She's not a gun rights advocate, in fact she is a God fearing woman.  You'd never suspect in a thousand years that she has them.

Then you have my co-worker who thinks an AK-47 is a target rifle.  Another non-gun rights advocate.  Sweetest guy you'd ever meet.  He just likes automatic weapons in the same way someone likes fast cars.

These are average people from everyday life.  I don't know how many people own guns, but I certainly would never assume someone with a gun is a nut case waiting to happen. 

DMKano said:
    Derros said:
    If you are asking if I prefer how MMOs play now adays rather than how they played in the days of EQ/Anarchy Online, then my answer has to be yes. I did not care for grinding camps for hours.
    Agree,
    I tried P1999 last year.  "It sucked 100%", only to be appreciated for it's intent.
    It reeked of simply being old.  
    Hmm that was not what you said when you first tried it.

BTW for someone who has been making all of those "Pantheon is the savior" posts - you do realize that P99(EQ1 vanilla) is the blueprint for Pantheon?

Amazing 
    Hmm back at you :)
    To the absolute best of my knowledge I don't bullshit.  I did prematurely hype the game. And to be honest it deserves hype.  It's a good game, it's a broken game !

It's an OLD game, OLD AS THE HILLS.  It's as old as the first cars.  You know the ones you have to wind up to get em started...same thing 1999... Do I really have to go on ?

Pantheon should be 2019-2020ish, it should be fixed from all that stuff back in 1999.  Judging from the coding I'm seeing from streams, I at least hope so.
    mmolou
    edited January 2019
    btdt said:

BUT, and I'll stress this people on average don't carry guns.  
    Hehe, just goes to prove how out of touch you really are.

My sister-in-law carries a taser and a gun.  She's not a gun rights advocate, in fact she is a God fearing woman.  You'd never suspect in a thousand years that she has them.

Then you have my co-worker who thinks an AK-47 is a target rifle.  Another non-gun rights advocate.  Sweetest guy you'd ever meet.  He just likes automatic weapons in the same way someone likes fast cars.

These are average people from everyday life.  I don't know how many people own guns, but I certainly would never assume someone with a gun is a nut case waiting to happen. 

A noveist with a gun is dangerous. 

<A quite from Law and Order>
    Most people get their gun taken away from them !

Sounds like the sister-in-law and the co-worker may fall into this category.

Having the guts to do whats necessary, gun or no gun is few and far between this day and age.
    edited January 2019
    Kyleran said:

Think of it like this.

Coordination is much harder to achieve in doing complicated actions for larger groups of people. You need to keep the actions simpler. Here's another example; synchronized dancing of groups is wonderful, but the moves are much more simple, same dancers can do much more complicated moves when they are performing solo. Now imagine a boss fight with a large group of people. Coordination is much more important than individual combat skills. It always has been like that. I'm not saying individual doesn't have a role. I'm saying when you design your game for large group of people to play together, you have to simplify the combat on the individual level. 

I hope I'm making sense, you caught me at the happy hour. 
    Very good, infact great !!!!

By this I could 100% tell your an experienced Martial Artist.

Coordination with a group of practitioners is for the most part to keep the teaching uniform, however it's also to focus on coordination itself.  If you cant do it together you don't know the technique well enough to execute with an automatic reaction if needed.

Like Jackie Chan, he is truly real when his fast fights and blocks everything !

Synchronized dancing,
    Last year I went to a children dance demonstration to watch our 4 year old granddaughter.
    Their were Senior high school students heading the class..... Every one was chairing them and loving it.  These 18 year olds were eating it up, their ego was through the roof.  When in reality they were awful.  They were not in shape AT ALL.  An experienced person could clearly see they didn't practice, they were simply going off pure memory from years of doing it. 

Going from a low lunge to standing or jumping was slow and awkward to say the very least...zero grace that shows natural movement was not their. 

An 18 year old to excel in dance or Martial Arts needs to be gifted and in shape !   I hate to say it.... You have it or you don't, none of these kids had it.

No such thing as, give them a break, their only in High School !
    ConstantineMerus
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited January 2019
    Gorwe said:

Let's define one thing. What does "hard" even mean? You can do them perfectly fine with as few as 25 deaths(as a newbie). Which is nothing. But they do require ATTENTION, true enough. And in this modern, multitasking saturated world, they could indeed be "hard" because you xan't watch a <sport> match and play the game efficiently. Just doesn't work in DkS. But even a tiny bit of attention, of perception and the Souls become quite pathetic in difficulty.
    Not everyone can be a sprinter, not everyone can play an instrument, not everyone is good at math.

Just because you think the game is not hard doesn't mean others do.

You might be wired and coordinated enough to find these games easy. That's great. But there are many people who have great difficulty with them.

I can pick up a musical instrument and within 6 months be able to play it fine. within a year I can play close to professional. This is easy. Should I say that playing musical instruments are easy when there are people who struggle with them?

No. Playing a musical instrument "well" is hard but for a few people they find it easy.

If Dark Souls is not difficult then most people would figure it out and zip right through them. They don't.

Post edited by Sovrath on
    delete5230immodiumConstantineMerus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    DMKano said:
    Very good, infact great !!!!

By this I could 100% tell your an experienced Martial Artist.

Coordination with a group of practitioners is for the most part to keep the teaching uniform, however it's also to focus on coordination itself.  If you cant do it together you don't really know the technique well enough to execute with an automatic reaction if needed.

Like Jackie Chan, he is truly real when his fast fights and blocks everything !

Synchronized dancing,
    Last year I went to a children dance demonstration to watch our 4 year old granddaughter.
    Their were Senior high school students heading the class..... Every one was chairing them and loving it.  These 18 year olds were eating it up, their ego was through the roof.  When in reality they were awful.  They were not in shape AT ALL.  An experienced person could clearly see they didn't practice, they were simply going off pure memory from years of doing it. 

Going from a low lunge to standing or jumping was slow and awkward to say the very least...zero grace that shows natural movement was not their. 

An 18 year old to excel in dance or Martial Arts needs to be gifted and in shape !   I hate to say it you have it or you don't, none of them had it.

No such thing as, give them a break, their only in High School !
    I read this in Trump's voice. Freaked me out.
    We all have a God given gift when were born.  Natural and flexible, same for you DMkano :)

As time passes and we don't use certain movements, it becomes lost.  It's best to never endingly allow this to happen.  Since prehistoric times, humans utilized EVERY FUNCTION, up until the last century.  The Ape family has this, we have it too, unfortunately we quickly loose it, but with good reason we no longer need it.  At a young age, it could be regained, as we get older it becomes harder..... However never give in, start at 60 years old if needed.

To take this to the next level, the Ape family has a powerful whipping action generating from their flexible hips that would swing the arms, that could knock a person cold with little effort.  Well guess what, humans could utilize this secret also.... It's called Kung Fu ! 

Synchronized dancing, exactly the same, but not for fighting. 

Thanking this a step deeper "Ballet Dancing".  Without looking for a definition is to Demonstrate the above actions...Grace !   
  • WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    The original post and the posts that follow have no cohesive purpose. It is just a collection of nonsensical ramblings.
    Amathedelete5230
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    The original post and the posts that follow have no cohesive purpose. It is just a collection of nonsensical ramblings.
    Well, then, welcome to the club. B)
    [Deleted User]PalebaneConstantineMerusScot
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    I'm the founder  :o
    SovrathConstantineMerus[Deleted User]
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited January 2019
    It really does boil down to them having to please the largest audience. This means compromises are made. If you're extreme or marginal in some areas, you won't be satisfied. This is why niche or indie games exist. Older games sometimes are niche but mostly by mistake. This is because they weren't made to be niche, but  the gaming population in those days was smaller. The niche population is smaller, so what happened is it meets old games accidentally sometimes.

I will add some old games were intentionally niche, like simulation games. Back then you had to pour through the manual to have any chance in the game. I played many simulation games in HS and in my college years. Sometimes I miss that. It's nice to  have a manual in front of you while playing. Digital manuals aren't the same, unless they're on a separate mobile, maybe. It's not convenient for me having to alt-tab to the manual and back to the game. And it's nice to take manuals with me.

The manuals back then were beautiful. Seems to me like nowadays everything is digital or in tutorials, and it's just... not... the... same.

I'm playing Neverwinter atm. Waiting to see when it gets hard. The trouble is, I don't expect it to get much harder until I'm in the higher levels. Seems like they're all made to be easy at first and tha'ts exactly what I don't want. Difficulties breed immersion. Story doesn't do it for me. Graphics don't. Danger does. Like I remember when I first started playing Wurm Online. Monster lurked everywhere to kill you. And you didn't know where to go. You had to hunt for things and always be looking over your shoulder. And if you died? You had to remember where your corpse was. It wasn't easy, at least for me. I fall asleep when I don't need to pay attention. I lose interest. These MMO's that tell me where to go and don't have any consequences, leave me feeling bored. It was like that in DDO until I figured out how to play dungeons in elite. But even that got boring when players would just rush it like a marathon and never smell the roses. There was never any time to talk or examine things. You had to constantly be following so as not to fall behind. Frankly, I had more fun trying to solo those because it was more thoughtful, or,  if i was lucky, to find others who hadn't done it before or were still learning how. My best memories from DDO were in smaller inexperienced groups. We were learning hte ropes. It was FUN.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
    Sovrath
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Sovrath said:
    I'm the founder  :o
    Yes, but you have to make sure you don't say these threads must be a certain way or the accusations of only wanting threads made your way will start, after all we have to go with what most posters want. :D
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited January 2019
    Seriously this should be @delete5230 avatar

Post edited by Tiller on
    delete5230[Deleted User][Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Great post OP.  I completely agree.  I think its insane people will fly off the hooks if a game's animations is a little off, but everyone does cartwheels when combat is literally designed to be easy for seven year old children.  Its a mad world. 
    delete5230
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited January 2019
    In older games i generally had to move to a harder area sometimes in the same zone sometimes in a different zone in order to fight harder NPCs.

In modern games if I want to fight harder NPCs I...have to move to a new area. 

Yes the zone that is made for my level is easier than an old but the above principle still applies.
    Post edited by VengeSunsoar on
    delete5230
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    My question:  
    Since all mmorpg's are JUST above motor skill function.  And adults are playing them.  Obviously easy.  Are you enjoying this third generation of "combat not being the object" of the game ?    

Notice I'm not trying to belittle anyone by saying you can't handle combat made for 7 years old.  YOU KNOW I'm not saying that.... Just asking if you prefer this way.
    ya know.. most 4 - 7 year olds can play baseball as well.. and yet I am going to bet even as an adult, with such simple motions as "throw a ball" "swing a bat" and "catch a ball" and "run in a straight line" you are not really that good at it, and going to bet you are not able to do it really competitively.. and yet 4 to 7 year olds can play it, even play it competitively. 

ya know.. lifting weights, I have seen toddlers do that stuff, pick up an object and put it down and do that a few more times. Gottna bet you are not anywhere near a competitive weight lifter, even if the motions to do the task are so simple even a toddler can do them.

See, the simplicity of the motion, holds less meaning when it's done competitively.
    VengeSunsoar[Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Ungood said:
    My question:  
    Since all mmorpg's are JUST above motor skill function.  And adults are playing them.  Obviously easy.  Are you enjoying this third generation of "combat not being the object" of the game ?    

Notice I'm not trying to belittle anyone by saying you can't handle combat made for 7 years old.  YOU KNOW I'm not saying that.... Just asking if you prefer this way.
    ya know.. most 4 - 7 year olds can play baseball as well.. and yet I am going to bet even as an adult, with such simple motions as "throw a ball" "swing a bat" and "catch a ball" and "run in a straight line" you are not really that good at it, and going to bet you are not able to do it really competitively.. and yet 4 to 7 year olds can play it, even play it competitively. 

ya know.. lifting weights, I have seen toddlers do that stuff, pick up an object and put it down and do that a few more times. Gottna bet you are not anywhere near a competitive weight lifter, even if the motions to do the task are so simple even a toddler can do them.

See, the simplicity of the motion, holds less meaning when it's done competitively.
    We have to be carful or those amazing children will take over the world. :)