Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Fate of Destiny 2 on BNet, ATVI Stocks Nosedive & Destiny 3 in 2020 According to One Firm - MMO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Fate of Destiny 2 on BNet, ATVI Stocks Nosedive & Destiny 3 in 2020 According to One Firm - MMORPG.com News

After yesterday's huge news that Bungie was splitting with Activision for publication of the Destiny series, a trio of big things happened: 1) ATVI stock prices tanked and lost over 7% of their value in "after hours trading"; 2) Industry research firm, Cowen & Company believes that Destiny 3 will be coming in 2020; and 3) Blizzard Customer Service tweeted that Destiny 2 will remain on BattleNet and "will receive full support (without) any disruption to our services or your gameplay".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I can hear Kotick saying "We will shut down Acti Blizz Inc. if we have to, but i ain't getting paid less this year."
    XingbairongMargraveArskaaaTuor7TacticalZombeh

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

I can hear Kotick saying "We will shut down Acti Blizz Inc. if we have to, but i ain't getting paid less this year."

Feels like that :D

Also good for Bungie, but I"m not getting fooled a 2nd time with the same game. Not gonna get D3 even if it's free.
    rojoArcueidGamePlay4U
  • hammercrush1984hammercrush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    C L E M!
    G R A K A T A!
    GameolioDanDarkpigeonrojoArcueidThaharSabracTacticalZombeh
  • berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345

Arterius said:

Zenislav said:

I hate how games like Division and Destiny dont get big expansions but sequels. Yes they are not full MMORPGs but are way closer to that type of game than to Call of Duty. You spend months collecting and buying stuff just like in MMO and than boom sequel gets announced. One game that surprised me is this new Monster Hunter. They dont even have cash shop or DLCs yet it will receive expansion and looks like will be alive more than any other non MMO.

Not only that but they promised that the Monster Hunter expansion would be about the size of the base game. That is crazy sauce

I'm reluctant to buy monster hunter. I have both division and destiny and I agree with you. They should not be making a sequel for this kind of games.

Beta tester maniac

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Haha, man, the drama in the gaming world is almost like it's straight out of Hollywood these last 6 months or so.

I think you'd be harder pressed to kill a business, if you were actively trying, than Activision is doing right now.  Although, I kind of wonder if they are actively trying to kill it off, at this point...
    SBFordThaharPhry
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited January 2019
    I know people might be 'happy' that destiny 2 is remaining on b.net, however, all that means is that destiny 3 is pretty much guaranteed in 2020, unless the pull a SE and dont provide the content for the rest of their season pass thing or whatever. I agree with Zenis though. Everyone felt destiny 2 was just a destiny 'expansion' (which honestly just felt like a destiny relaunch just to get people to buy it all over again since it pretty much went through destiny's phases). Division 2 is honestly just another area, yet people are so excited to rebuy the game all over again. I guess its just the cod/battlefield grooming that people have been used to for all these years, buying pretty much the same game over and over again every year.
    Palebane[Deleted User]Tuor7
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2019

Feels like that :D

Also good for Bungie, but I"m not getting fooled a 2nd time with the same game. Not gonna get D3 even if it's free.
    i got the free game and got forsaken during the holiday sale just to play it with a friend. I waited this long for the same reason as you. I am not very happy with the game itself but i do enjoy my time in coop with my friend. I wouldn't have paid full price of it tho. Not after repeating all the same crap from Destiny 1.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    blizzard close all games and focus mobile gaming :p
    PhryTuor7
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    As I said before, I don't think they have any choice other than to make a Destiny 3. There is too much baggage and potential legal trouble for them to make Destiny 2 their permanent platform for expansion going forward.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    This is one bad news after another. As they say it never rains it pours.
    Chamber of Chains
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Arskaaa said:
    blizzard close all games and focus mobile gaming :p
    Quickest way for them to go out of business altogether, they might make it in the Chinese/Asian market with mobile games, but outside of there, mobile games are not really that popular, somehow i can't see Blizzard giving up on the NA/EU 'Western' market. :p
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    Another chop in the tree.
    [Deleted User]
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2019
    We know from the original contract that AB paid Bungee to make D1 to D4 + dlcs etc. With more money depending on results.

I think we can be sure that whatever changes might have been made to the contract AB would still be paying Bungee $X - guaranteed - for making D3. 

Speculation: AB asked Bungee to accept less money; Bungee said no and they split. 

If this had been an AB game produced by an AB studio I think what we would have been talking about is:

AB closes its Bungee studio to cut costs.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    The way these guys roll he’ll probably get a bonus 
    rojoArcueid[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    I think the next split should be Blizzard from Activision. I think Activision has been a real negative influence on gaming in general.
    OzmodanGdemamiAlvonu
  • RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    I don't think Blizzard has been a boon to gaming any time recently. I feel Blizzard turned it eyes to trying to build mobile/multi-platform shared data (Hearthstone) and e-sports (OW and HotS) over building games for gamers with lots of loot boxes mechanics.
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815

I think the next split should be Blizzard from Activision. I think Activision has been a real negative influence on gaming in general.

We can only hope.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    At this point in time senior management will have a very good idea of the Q4 results are - to be announced mid-Feb.

If the results are "poor" - sales, MAUs, profits - management will be expected to announce what they are doing about it. What actions have they put in place to earn their (non-trivial) salaries.

What we are seeing e.g. the appointment of three new presidents for the Activision, King and Emerging Business operating units - are actions that they will be able to point to. 
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Blizzard (Vivendi Games) and Activision merged, they didn't partner up under a contract like Bungie did. There is no way they can split up now. The IPs are owned by Activision Blizzard, not Activision or Blizzard. Those two separate companies don't exist anymore. Blizzard Entertainment is a subsidiary of Activision Blizzard. Activision is a subsidiary of Activision Blizzard. They are not seperate developers that are working for Activision Blizzard, they are like different departments within Activision Blizzard.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389

Blizzard (Vivendi Games) and Activision merged, they didn't partner up under a contract like Bungie did. There is no way they can split up now. The IPs are owned by Activision Blizzard, not Activision or Blizzard. Those two separate companies don't exist anymore. Blizzard Entertainment is a subsidiary of Activision Blizzard. Activision is a subsidiary of Activision Blizzard. They are not seperate developers that are working for Activision Blizzard, they are like different departments within Activision Blizzard.

Well, one can only hope it could happen .. it may not be possible but it would be the best for all involved.