Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bungie Breaks Up with Activision, Regains Full Destiny Publication Rights - MMORPG.com

Comments

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

This is good news. Activision has become a toxic company for employees, partners, subsidiaries, and consumers. I feel Bungie can potentially spread its wings with Destiny 3 without publisher interference.

If only Blizzard could break away. :(

LOL

I know it's the cool thing to hate on anything Activision Blizzard related currently but you obviously know nothing about Bungie.

Activision had to force Bungie to stay on track and Destiny 1 and 2 both released a year late.

Bungie self publishing is probably the worst thing that could happen to Bungie.
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    And they instantly got the trust of their players back! LOL
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Activision just needs to break up with Blizzard so that Blizzard regains complete control of their IP once again, maybe they can restore the faith of the public!
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    edited January 2019

Xiaoki said:

This is good news. Activision has become a toxic company for employees, partners, subsidiaries, and consumers. I feel Bungie can potentially spread its wings with Destiny 3 without publisher interference.

LOL

I know it's the cool thing to hate on anything Activision Blizzard related currently but you obviously know nothing about Bungie.

Activision had to force Bungie to stay on track and Destiny 1 and 2 both released a year late.

We will have to see how Bungie expresses its new independence. Every publisher/developer relationship is different. Could it be that Bungie disagreed with Activision’s monetization plans for Destiny 1 + 2 leading to delays or was Bungie just procrastinating? Both have potential validity.

As for bashing Activision, when is the last time they had positive press? It wasn’t when they re-released Modern Warfare and had the audacity to charge for its DLC again. It wasn’t when they charged real money for a stupid red dot. People leaving high level positions at Activision also does not help its case.

There are so many examples of bad business practices the real challenge is finding something good. I have no sympathy for Activision as a company and they deserve every failure plaguing them thus far.

• Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982

I felt that way, too, when Bungie left Microsoft... only to end up in the arms of Activision.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Bungie:
    Today is a big news day for Bungie. Change is afoot for us. Our plans for Destiny are unchanged. All of these game updates are still on the calendar.

[Deleted User]infomatz

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Xiaoki said:

LOL

We will have to see how Bungie expresses its new independence. Every publisher/developer relationship is different. Could it be that Bungie disagreed with Activision’s monetization plans for Destiny 1 + 2 leading to delays or was Bungie just procrastinating? Both have potential validity.

As for bashing Activision, when is the last time they had positive press? It wasn’t when they re-released Modern Warfare and had the audacity to charge for its DLC again. It wasn’t when they charged real money for a stupid red dot. People leaving high level positions at Activision also does not help its case.

There are so many examples of bad business practices the real challenge is finding something good. I have no sympathy for Activision as a company and they deserve every failure plaguing them thus far.

A lot of the problems with Destiny 1 was because of the awful graphics engine which was made by Bungie specifically for Destiny 1.
    It was so bad that they had trouble making content and it's the reason there is no PC version of Destiny 1.
    Destiny 2 was heavily delayed because Bungie once again insisted they make a brand new graphics engine just for Destiny 2 and once again it sucked.
    The development stories from Destiny 1 and 2 are not pretty and they all have nothing to do with Activision.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    I still think there is a catch that Bungie needed to get away from Activision so soon.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Makes me wonder how bad WoW is really doing...
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DisantiaDisantia Member UncommonPosts: 50

bcbully said:

It's literally the worst it's ever been in every possible way...gameplay/content/players/etc. Alot of big names from dev team gone/jumping. I love WoW and hope something changes, but the way it is now...it's like the pubg plane or fortnite bus, everyone is jumping and hoping they land somewhere good
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Worth remembering that Activision don't, and have never, owned Blizzard. Vivendi bought both and the subsequent buy-out created Activision Blizzard - which subsequently bought King. Maybe there could be a stock market share split but I doubt it.
    Robbgobb
    It looks like there is a "root and branch" review going on at Activision Blizzard with every game and future development being looked at. With those that don't make the grade facing cut backs or the axe.
    [Deleted User]
    bcbully said:
    Not just WoW.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

They only made what could be argued as the greatest scifi FPS prior to that so yeah.

Someone's never player Borderlands ;)
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Good. Activision's aggressive monetization schemes literally suck the soul and fun out of the games they publish.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    interesting noneless , hope Bungie can bring what made their games amazing again...
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    gervaise1 said:
    Worth remembering that Activision don't, and have never, owned Blizzard. Vivendi bought both and the subsequent buy-out created Activision Blizzard - which subsequently bought King. Maybe there could be a stock market share split but I doubt it.
    Vivendi owned Activision. Activision aquired Blizzard. Bobby Kotick was placed as the head of Acti-Blizz
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    So Bungie successfully escapes. Good for them.
    Sadly I dont think Blizzard will manage.

The people like Morhaime were Blizzard. Now that they left , the company could easily be called something else
    bcbully[Deleted User]

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Tyr216 said:

So what's going to happen to my free copy of Destiny 2 via Battle Net?

It will be yours to own or transferred to a dedicated Bungie launcher later on. I actually paid for a full copy of Destiny 2 + Forsaken via Battle.net.
    They can't just tell the entire PC player base that they lose their Destiny 2 license, because Bungie is leaving ActiVision.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

I expect Blizzarrd is about be the next too either break off as Blizzard, or selling the entity and creating an entirely new studio.

That is not gonna happen, since ActiVision got rid of all the old garde at Blizzard and will be now in full control of Blizzard.
    bcbully said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Vivendi owned Activision. Activision aquired Blizzard. Bobby Kotick was placed as the head of Acti-Blizz
    Even after bcbully explained it you STILL got it wrong.

Blizzard was acquired by Vivendi all the way back in 98.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Bungie basically got a quickie divorce and is heading for the hills, if it was possible for Blizzard to do the same, then that would be the next step. Blizzards games are 'failing' and Activision hasn't released a good game in quite a while. Activision isn't too big to fail. :p
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

bcbully said:

Everyone tied to Acti is doing bad right now. I'm just waiting for the new Raid Battle for Dazar'alor to see what will happen with Jaina. If she dies in the lore for this raid they wont see a penny from me ever again. Ever.
    cheyane

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    I like what CliffyB said about it:

Bungie splits with Activision.

Y'all knew what you signed up for from the get go.

Still, glad y'all got the rights back.

Now? Self publish. Control your...

Destiny?
    As if good ole Cliffy knows anything about being in control, ha.