Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big News: Unity preventing SpatialOS from working on their platform

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Boca Raton, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 10,249
edited January 10 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
https://improbable.io/company/news/2019/01/10/unity-blocks-spatialos

  • Unity’s block of SpatialOS: The game engine provider Unity recently changed (Dec 5) and then clarified directly to us (9 Jan) their terms of service to specifically disallow services like Improbable’s to function with their engine. This was previously freely possible in their terms, as with other major engines.
  • What this means: Unity has clarified to us that this change effectively makes it a breach of terms to operate or create SpatialOS games using Unity, including in development and production games.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
blueturtle13MadFrenchiePhryTorval

Comments

  • GolelornGolelorn Hiding From Social Media Peeping Toms, ALMember UncommonPosts: 1,384
    Specifically clause 2.4 which is in regards to Streaming and Cloud gaming.

    I think this is a really bold move by Unity. It appears they are trying to lock people into using their services, which in the future could mean they are well within their rights to ban sales from Steam and you can only use their fancy, new site(speculation as this obviously does not exist right now).

  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,490
    Basically "the money isn't funneling to me" situation. I -think- it's a bad move from Unity but granted I don't have the numbers/foresight in the business to see if this was factually bad/good.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Boca Raton, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 10,249
    edited January 10
    Heretique said:
    Basically "the money isn't funneling to me" situation. I -think- it's a bad move from Unity but granted I don't have the numbers/foresight in the business to see if this was factually bad/good.
    I think the vulnerability to Unity is that these MMOs using SpatialOS are also their own customers and if Unity is causing their own customers pain it's going to make future potential ones think twice about using them.


    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Figueira da FozMember EpicPosts: 6,664
    That time Dual Universe dodged the biggest bullet by not using Unity. lol
    Phry
  • MendelMendel Marietta, GAMember EpicPosts: 2,760
    It looks like another case of the gaming industry eating it's own offspring.

    Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,548
    Unity' s plan isn't to affect Worlds Adrift:  https://www.worldsadrift.com/blog/update/

    So players should be even less affected than normal developers.   As long as the two engine developers stay sane.

    Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

    "At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member UncommonPosts: 150
    edited January 11
    So you’re telling me Unity caused division?? ha!
    Post edited by immoralthang on
    chambordinTorvalHermodH0urg1ass
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 18,396
    Oh man, things are going to get ugly with the money faucet drying up.

    It's all over the rest of the tech world too. One of the latest examples is MongoDB being in a spat with Amazon. Less of a spat and more pissed off, but words are flying. It's gets stupid and political, but it's all about money and control. Sound familiar?

    I wonder if Unity will go after developers like Artcraft with the networking API they want to sell. PC gaming continues its journey rocketing down shit show avenue.

    Maybe studios need to go back to developing their own in house engines. I'm not even sure that's viable anymore though.
    GdemamiMrMelGibsonanemoSovrath
    traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

  • LimnicLimnic Member UncommonPosts: 390
    edited January 11
    Feel like I'd need to read a lot more on this subject before having an opinion, as apparently this was caused by an issue of Improbable being in breach of terms of service for around a year?

    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-01-10-unity-explains-improbable-license-revocation-calls-spatialos-creators-post-incorrect

    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/01/10/our-response-to-improbables-blog-post-and-why-you-can-keep-working-on-your-spatialos-game/

    Seems in-development and production games are both safe, it's just new projects that are not approved for use of SpatialOS. You can still use other third party servers and platforms. In the case of servers it's pretty open, in the case of a full platform, they need to be a "Unity approved partner" and abide the Unity EULA.

    Which Unity claims Improbable was in breach of, which is what prompted Unity to remove them from being a Unity approved partner after attempts to resolve the issue failed.

    We really need to not spin out conspiratorial rhetoric before knowing the full scope of a situation.
    Post edited by Limnic on
    YashaX
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,299
    edited January 11
    Limnic said:
    Seems in-development and production games are both safe, it's just new projects that are not approved for use of SpatialOS.
    ...if you consider using unsupported vital middleware in your engine safe, I guess you could say that but I think for most developers it is way more serious issue.
    Post edited by Gdemami on
    anemo
  • LimnicLimnic Member UncommonPosts: 390
    Gdemami said:
    Limnic said:
    Seems in-development and production games are both safe, it's just new projects that are not approved for use of SpatialOS.
    ...if you consider using unsupported vital middleware in your engine safe, I guess you could say that but I think for most developers it is way more serious issue.
    You're using "safe" in a different context than I am.

    "Safe" In my context meant Unity is not killing anyone's current projects just because of Improbable losing their approval. People can still continue development and published titles are not affected.

    You just used "safe" to talk about middleware security, which is an entirely different issue than the subject of the thread in the first place.

    Yes, using "unsupported" middleware is unsafe. SpatialOS is supported by Improbable though. They are just not a Unity approved partner any more. I would still raise questions regarding the fact that they apparently broke the EULA for unity, and that's why this all happened. So that could be a red flag, though one would need to know what part of the EULA they broke.

    You seem to be mixing up the notion of support and approval.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,299
    edited January 11
    Limnic said:
    You're using "safe" in a different context than I am.
    No, I am not.

    I am using it in the same context as you are and pointing out, despite they can use SpatialOS legaly, they are far from unaffected - lack of support and further development/fixes on SpatialOS integration is a big deal.
    Post edited by Gdemami on
  • MendelMendel Marietta, GAMember EpicPosts: 2,760
    Torval said:
    Oh man, things are going to get ugly with the money faucet drying up.

    It's all over the rest of the tech world too. One of the latest examples is MongoDB being in a spat with Amazon. Less of a spat and more pissed off, but words are flying. It's gets stupid and political, but it's all about money and control. Sound familiar?

    I wonder if Unity will go after developers like Artcraft with the networking API they want to sell. PC gaming continues its journey rocketing down shit show avenue.

    Maybe studios need to go back to developing their own in house engines. I'm not even sure that's viable anymore though.
    The Unity-SpatialOS relationship reminds me a lot of Oracle and various middleware providers in the 80s and 90s.  Oracle grew, despite the lawsuits, claims, rumors and other dirty tricks (on both sides).  The more things change, the more they remain the same.



    Gdemami

    Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

  • LimnicLimnic Member UncommonPosts: 390
    Gdemami said:
    Limnic said:
    You're using "safe" in a different context than I am.
    No, I am not.

    I am using it in the same context as you are and pointing out, despite they can use SpatialOS legaly, they are far from unaffected - lack of support and further development/fixes on SpatialOS integration is a big deal.
    That's is entirely dependent on Improbable's decisions and behavior going forward and if they choose to drop SpatialOS. If you claim you are using it in the same context, then you also need to acknowledge that your statement is based on an opinion that assumes a single course of action going into the future, and no other potential courses of action (such as this current shebang not going over as well as they want and them backpedaling to make amends with Unity and work with the EULA) taking place.

    So let's not claim an absolute out of an assumption.
    Gdemami
Sign In or Register to comment.