Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The PC Version of The Division 2 Will be Bypassing Steam - MMORPG.com

124»

Comments

• neonblastneonblast Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I understand their decision. UPlay was working very well for me, when I was playing TD, Rainbow Six.
    Second why should they bother with Steam?
    To handle 2 different forums?
    To be trolled with bad revives via Steam?
    To share the profit, while having a good working game launcher?

Steam is not the main game hub. It's a game hub.
    It's like saying, " I wont play BF because it's not on Steam and it's on Origin ". If you like a game or want to try/play it doesn't really matter the launcher.

Same as this: I'm a PC player. But that didn't stop me to buy a console and play Destiny.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Why is this site shilling so hard for Epic? How much are they paying you for this shameless hype? Why isn't it clearly marked as sponsored content?

berlight said:
    I never knew there was steam fanbois. New 2019 trent
    It's not about being a Steam fanboi. It's about not wanting to be inconvenienced.

Imagine it's 1999 instead of 2019. You want to buy a game, but some dimwit has decided that they are going to make their new title an EBgames exclusive, and it won't be available at Walmart, Best Buy or any other outlet. You don't shop at EBGames because the clerk smells bad and it's out of your way, but if you want that new exclusive you're going to have to put up with it.

We're saying "no" and "FU" to this. We're not going to put up with it and we're giving their new game a hard pass.
    [Deleted User]
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    edited January 2019
    Why is this site shilling so hard for Epic? How much are they paying you for this shameless hype? Why isn't it clearly marked as sponsored content?

berlight said:
    It's not about being a Steam fanboi. It's about not wanting to be inconvenienced.

So it's ok for you to say it's not about being "Steam fanboi" and surely not being paid by Steam but this site has to be shilling if they report regular news?

Since Epic has a new service and launcher then no one should report on it?

I'm going with you and everyone who likes Steam are being paid by Valve.

Yup, totally it, couldn't possibly be anything else. Totally paid. Totally.

Personally love Steam so I'm being paid too.

Caffynated[Deleted User]gervaise1TacticalZombeh
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

Otomox said:

No Steam, no buy just easy as that. They can keep theire crap online Stores for them.

Just curious but if this becomes a trend that developers ignore Steam more and more which is a possibility then will you also ignore all those games?  

It is just a launcher and do not understand the angst over it not being on Steam I guess.  Personally at 30% more developers will want to keep their money now that there is an alternative.  A few big titles decide to not launch on Steam and that is all it will take for others to follow.

It´s Valve. Do u really think Gabe Newell won´t flex his muscles, if epic get any real success
    Sovrath said:

berlight said:

So it's ok for you to say it's not about being "Steam fanboi" and surely not being paid by Steam but this site has to be shilling if they report regular news?

*insert Billy Madison Academic Decathlon video here*

This site has run repeated stories openly cheer leading for Epic's new store, hyping it up, asking "is this the end of Steam!?!?", SBFord goes through the comments and agrees with people hyping Epic and doomsdaying Steam, etc. It's pretty obvious what's going on to anyone with eyes to see and a brain to think.

I don't care that Epic exists. I don't care if people like it. Good for them, hope it works well for you, and I hope they're successful.

What I don't like is the exclusive nonsense. If Mrs. Baird's stops selling their bread at the store I go to, I'm not going to follow them to another store. I'm going to stop buying their bread. Plenty of bread in the ocean and all that jazz.

I mainly use Steam (sometimes GoG if the deals are good), because it has the best features, layout, policies, prices and services. If you want to unseat them do it by being better than them. Offer more features, lower prices, faster downloads, and better service. I will happily move to a better product.

If your only way of drawing business is by getting exclusive titles, then I'm just not going to buy those exclusive titles and I'm not going to move to your platform.
  • FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

This site has run repeated stories openly cheer leading for Epic's new store, hyping it up, asking "is this the end of Steam!?!?", SBFord goes through the comments and agrees with people hyping Epic and doomsdaying Steam, etc. It's pretty obvious what's going on to anyone with eyes to see and a brain to think.

I don't care that Epic exists. I don't care if people like it. Good for them, hope it works well for you, and I hope they're successful.

What I don't like is the exclusive nonsense. If Mrs. Baird's stops selling their bread at the store I go to, I'm not going to follow them to another store. I'm going to stop buying their bread. Plenty of bread in the ocean and all that jazz.

I mainly use Steam (sometimes GoG if the deals are good), because it has the best features, layout, policies, prices and services. If you want to unseat them do it by being better than them. Offer more features, lower prices, faster downloads, and better service. I will happily move to a better product.

If your only way of drawing business is by getting exclusive titles, then I'm just not going to buy those exclusive titles and I'm not going to move to your platform.
    Are you sure it's because of Epic that some games are exclusive in their store? Maybe it's simply developers who prefer selling their game on a platform where they get a bigger share of the revenue?

Epic are just getting started, it's going to take some time to catch up to Steam which has been out for 16-17 years.

I like both platforms and I think the competition will bring good things for developers and consumers, Steam needed a real challenger imo.

gervaise1[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Sovrath said:

berlight said:

Steam has more Steam exclusives than Epic Games Store, Origin, GoG and Uplay combined.

Are you going to leave Steam because you don't like that exclusive nonsense?
    TacticalZombeh

edited January 2019
    Sovrath said:

berlight said:

So guess playing consoles is out for you with that kind of view point.

Netflix must be out as well since you cannot watch Stranger Things on Hulu or one of the other streaming services but then damn can only see Marvel Runaways on Hulu so the big streaming services must be out.  Never watch you tube because damn they have exclusives like the Karate Kid to draw people in from other services as well.

If this is the type of thing that would bother you then I salute the principals you live by and the fact you do not participate in literally anything.
    *Billy Madison video*

I haven't purchased a console since 2003.

I use Netflix as it is the best video on demand service available. I do not use the others as their selection, services and prices are weaker (Amazon and DirectTVNow are especially bad). No amount of exclusives will draw me to their platform, but building a better than Netflix would draw me away.
    Foncl said:

Are you sure it's because of Epic that some games are exclusive in their store? Maybe it's simply developers who prefer selling their game on a platform where they get a bigger share of the revenue?

Epic are just getting started, it's going to take some time to catch up to Steam which has been out for 16-17 years.

I like both platforms and I think the competition will bring good things for developers and consumers, Steam needed a real challenger imo.

Valid argument, but I don't see it that way. Epic's lower cut, waived fee for using their engine on sales from their store, and giving developers control over their store page so they can hide negative reviews is clearly intended to not just entice people to use the Epic store, but to use it exclusively.

I hope that competition does make both services better. Steam has certainly been slacking and isn't perfect by any stretch. Comparing the last few years of lazy winter sales to the amazing ones they used to have that they clearly put a lot of time into (I remember one year they had a Christmas story book filled with entire publisher catalogues on sale on each page with custom art) it's clear they needed a boot to the shorts to get them running again.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    The question we really need to ask is "if the game is shitty, who is most likely to give us our money back?"
    Phry
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    edited January 2019

When SBFord says things like that, it's more personal opinion and less "mmorpg.com party line."

I'm not sure she ever agreed that "it was the END of Steam." I can see her agreeing that it was the end of a seeming monopoly or that competition was good but "end of steam" seems like Hyperbole. I remember the thread and don't ever remember that.

If there are people at mmorpg.com "openly cheering" Epic's new store then they are doing so because they like the idea of a new store. And for some people, taking less of a developer's earnings seems to be a plus.

but let's see:

"I don't think what he wrote is speculating on how many copies it would have sold on Epic, but more to illustrate how big a difference there is between 12% of revenue taken for distribution over 30%. It's more than double and to a small studio, that can be massive.

At this rate, more and more new games -- heck, maybe even "old" games -- will shift to Epic. 

I wonder if games that are currently on Steam will remain there even if devs decide to publish on Epic for newer games? I can't imagine current Steam games suddenly moving to Epic -- I mean, what would happen to player data (progression, characters, purchases, etc.)?"

"I simply interpreted much of what he said as being written to illustrate what a huge difference 12% of sales and 30% of sales is and what a massive difference the extra cash can make to small and indie studios. Perhaps that's too simplistic, but putting abstract numbers to it in a theoretical way was enlightening to me."

Doesn't speak to me of thinking it's the end of Steam.

And it's ok that a site dedicated to video games talks about and even lauds a new platform for video game sales.

Because, if we start saying that everyone who speaks well of a developer, a game, a game product is taking cash then I can easily find most of us praising one thing or another in an "above and beyond way."

Here is an article on Massively asking if Steam can remain on top:

I don't believe they are shills either. As players (and for some, "gamers") we need to do more thinking and less reacting/hyperbole. It paints the hobby and its participants in a bad light when we star "tin foil hatting."

LokeroTacticalZombeh
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Valid argument, but I don't see it that way. Epic's lower cut, waived fee for using their engine on sales from their store, and giving developers control over their store page so they can hide negative reviews is clearly intended to not just entice people to use the Epic store, but to use it exclusively.

I hope that competition does make both services better. Steam has certainly been slacking and isn't perfect by any stretch. Comparing the last few years of lazy winter sales to the amazing ones they used to have that they clearly put a lot of time into (I remember one year they had a Christmas story book filled with entire publisher catalogues on sale on each page with custom art) it's clear they needed a boot to the shorts to get them running again.
    I agree that launcher-exclusives are something I don't typically want.  But, at this point, there's so many of them, that it's ridiculous to attack Epic for doing the same thing everyone else is already doing.  All of the various launchers(Ubi, Origin, Steam, etc.) have exclusives.
    Although, it is worth griping about the Epic boss hypocritically doing the very thing he was complaining about.

I, for one, have always rather despised Steam.  So, I welcome more competition.  But, so far, Epic's launcher definitely has a long way to go on feature support.  It's very bare-bones.  According to their roadmap, it'll be late into 2019(Q3 or Q4) before they fully implement everything.
    And, so far, they only have like 20 games on their store.  The fact that there's so much uproar over the few exclusives and miniscule amount of games they have tells me that this is a great shakeup in the market and should give Steam a much-needed kick in their rear.

Even though exclusives kind of suck, it's the only real way for a new platform to get any traction and break into the market from scratch.  If every single game is available on Steam, people aren't likely to look around at other services, due to basic human nature.  People don't often welcome change in their routine.
    It will be interesting to see just how far the exclusivity goes with the EGS, though.  Developers will be far more open to EGS due to the fact Epic is effectively their colleagues and friends in the dev world.  Also, many developers are actively using Epic's very own engine, so supporting Epic actually supports their own dev environment for some studios.

As has been mentioned in this thread already, if people hate the state of things, then go launch petitions at Steam to offer better developer pricing.  Emigration from their service is happening because better offers are being made available to the studios.
    The ball is in Steam's hands to convince developers to stick with them over competition.
    CaffynatedTacticalZombeh
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    edited January 2019
    Sovrath said:

berlight said:

So guess playing consoles is out for you with that kind of view point.

Netflix must be out as well since you cannot watch Stranger Things on Hulu or one of the other streaming services but then damn can only see Marvel Runaways on Hulu so the big streaming services must be out.  Never watch you tube because damn they have exclusives like the Karate Kid to draw people in from other services as well.

If this is the type of thing that would bother you then I salute the principals you live by and the fact you do not participate in literally anything.
    The exclusives on the one console that has them might as well never exist, as far as I'm concerned. There is nothing that will entice me to buy a proprietary machine that is going to be good for a single game.

As for the rest, between work and gaming, I don't have any free time for watching TV on any of it's forms.

As for the Epic store, I've been reading that they have changed their return policy in the past 20 hours to mirror the steam one. So that's a big improvement in that regard.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Phry said:
    sgel said:
    Phry said:
    sgel said:
    Phry said:
    sgel said:
    I'll be playing it on Uplay since I use that daily for R6:Siege.

I already have Steam/Uplay/Epic/Bnet and any other launcher needed for any game I'm playing.
    Nothing is "sucking up" my internet in the background and having a few extra shortcuts on the desktop doesn't bother me.

I can't believe how dramatic some people get.
    The Division also uses Uplay even though its on Steam, you can't avoid that, and honestly that isn't the issue because the resources used are negligible, if it affects your performance then running the game would be an issue regardless. No, this is about money and the possibility that its being done to avoid players being able to make use of Steams refund policy, which is far superior to that of Uplay's.
    Of course reducing players ability to get a refund is just 'drama' and they should just suck it up right  :p
    I got a refund from Epic 2 years after I bought UE because they changed the pricing scheme (I didn't even ask for one). With that refund I bought Paragon, which was also refunded to me when they stopped development a few years down the line (again without even asking for a refund).

So my experience with Epic's refund policy is absolutely fine. 
    I've never had to refund a steam game but I'm sure theirs is fine as well.

Those were paid for by Fortnite, but i wouldn't compare Epic games willingness to pay out for games they made themselves, with them doing the same thing for games they did not. I seriously doubt that Uplays refund policy is anything near as consumer friendly as that of Steam. ;)
    It probably isn't. That doesn't mean I won't buy a game that isn't on Steam.
    I usually try before I buy hence I'm not that worried about getting refunds.
    I really wish they would bring back free trials for games, more often than not entirely reliant on youtube videos etc. to give a more 'unbiased' and 'hype free' example of actual gameplay.
    That Steam offers a under 2 hour playing the game refund option is probably the closest we currently have to that. :/
    Yep.  Universal free trials, assuming devs don't polish it up and leave the rest shitty to trick consumers, would shift responsibility for things like broken releases and such very much back towards the consumers alone.

• KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Maybe valve will go back to making games?