Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation: Apocalypse Open Beta Event Begins on January 11th - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageAshes of Creation: Apocalypse Open Beta Event Begins on January 11th - MMORPG.com

From January 11th at 9:00 am Pacific / 12:00 pm Eastern, Ashes of Creation: Apocalypse will be available to everyone during an open beta event. Open beta testing ends on January 13th at 10:00 pm Pacific / 1:00 am Eastern (January 14th). The team will be gathering data across a number of features including "login registration flow, download flow, connection to matches, performance of the servers, combat balance and solo / squad battle royale game modes".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    First and yes please!
    VesaviusKlikae
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Too funny.
    They already launched this and then had to pull it down due to... issues.
    Now open beta weekend “event”

No thanks Stephen.
    bcbullyGdemamiRiannesKlikaeNextrixJamesGoblin

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    yawn, let me know when they get around to the actual game
    RhygarthMikehaPuReDusTgastovski1WaanSmiteymouseacidbloodbcbullykillmaxskiTheelyand 9 others.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Well, I like the idea of this game as a vehicle to test systems and performance, and to get a bit more funding. i think it's pretty inspired. I will play around in it for sure.
    GdemamiRiannes
  • RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    More BR crap...no thanks
    emtchopoobin420RiannescheyaneonelesslightsakerNextrixSabracMyrdynnCaffynated
  • SiniestrohSiniestroh Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Launcher didnt work, support was meh...and now open beta. lol
    RiannesKlikae

Or they could just test the MMO for that but lets spinoff a BR and add cash shop to test our MMO.

Bad comedy like Sharknado is better than this.

yes, they could do that, but I susepct people would still find something to bitch and moan about.

if this sub game provides them with valuable feedback I see nothing but good in it. Plus, it's optional.

Slapshot1188GdemamiKyleranKlikae
    Arterius said:
    Vesavius said:

yes, they could do that, but I susepct people would still find something to bitch and moan about.

if this sub game provides them with valuable feedback I see nothing but good in it. Plus, it's optional.

They are also using crowdfunded money and monetizing with a cash shop that was not in the original scope of the game.  There is zero good in this especially if they decide this is successful enough and cancel the MMO all while using money people donated in good faith for an MMO.
    This is exactly what Fortnite did with Save The World
    Yup.. the part of the game that I actually liked.
    [Deleted User]KyleranKlikaeonelesslightCaffynated

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

They are also using crowdfunded money and monetizing with a cash shop that was not in the original scope of the game.

They way that i see it is that they are using assets from the main game already developed and a bit of dev time to generate more revenue, which can only be good for the AoC.

How can more revenue not be good for AoC?

In the original scope or not, it's smart. It's as close to free money as they can get at this point from people that choose to buy some cosmetic bits and gives them free valuable feedback on their systems. FAR better this than making virtue space ship models to sell for all eternity.

[Deleted User]GdemamiSoybeanJamesGoblin
    edited January 2019
    Vesavius said:

They are also using crowdfunded money and monetizing with a cash shop that was not in the original scope of the game.

They way that i see it is that they are using assets from the main game already developed and a bit of dev time to generate more revenue, which can only be good for the AoC.

How can more revenue not be good for AoC?

In the original scope or not, it's smart. It's as close to free money as they can get at this point from people that choose to buy some cosmetic bits and gives them free valuable feedback on their systems. FAR better this than making virtue space ship models to sell for all eternity.

“bit of Dev time”- LOL

And what a false choice you setup.  It’s spaceship jpegs or this?

By the way, I quite clearly remember them saying that any Crowdfunding was just to add additional scope beyond the $30M budget they already had:

“The Kickstarter and any other crowdfunding we might engage in is intended to add to that budget, for additional scope on certain systems we intend to reveal throughout development.”

So how did they go through $30M already and need this BattleRoyale game to fund the MMO?

And as for feedback on systems: Why would I want a horde of F2P Battle Royale players giving input on systems for my subscription based MMORPG?  
    WaanGdemamiKyleranKlikaeSabracJamesGoblin

“bit of Dev time”- LOL

By the way, I quite clearly remember them saying that any Crowdfunding was just to add additional scope beyond the $30M budget they already had:

So how did they go through $30M already and need this BattleRoyale game to fund the MMO?

And as for feedback on systems: Why would I want a horde of F2P Battle Royale players giving input on systems for my subscription based MMORPG?  

Yeah, a bit of dev time. Using spaces, systems, and assets from the main project, this would not have taken long to build, in game dev terms.

And... What's your point? That you don't know that mmorpgs built over years are expensive?

And, yes, you do want that feedback in your PvP mmorpg. But, I don't just mean feedback from players. the data that this will give them to work with will be huge.
    GdemamiKyleran
    edited January 2019
    Vesavius said:

“bit of Dev time”- LOL

Yeah, a bit of dev time. Using spaces, systems, and assets from the main project, this would not have taken long to build, in game dev terms.

And... What's your point? That you don't know that mmorpgs built over years are expensive?

And, yes, you do want that feedback in your PvP mmorpg. But, I don't just mean feedback from players. the data that this will give them to work with will be huge.
    I know they are expensive. Maybe you missed that part where we were told that they already had the budget covered and all they needed KS and Crowdfunding for was extra fluff.

If you think building a stand alone BattleRoyale game only took just a “bit” of dev resources (including the last several weeks of panic mode after the initial launch disaster) I have a bridge to sell you. 

GdemamiKyleran

I know they are expensive. Maybe you missed that part where we were told that they already had the budget covered and all they needed KS and Crowdfunding for was extra fluff.

If you think building a stand alone BattleRoyale game only took just a “bit” of dev resources (including the last several weeks of panic mode after the initial launch disaster) I have a bridge to sell you. 

well, if you know that they are expensive, and you know, I guess, that projects *do* often run over budget and need additional funding, then i don't see what your gripe is.

Yes, again, a bit. Look, the word 'bit' is not a set value, is it? It is a subjective amount. Compared to building a game from scratch, it was a 'bit of dev time'. They have the engine, assets, backend, infrastructure, and pretty much everything else in place already. So, yep, a 'bit' (which, as a word, I think you are getting emotionally caught up on, it seems).

Honestly, it's like you are just on a mission to see the worst in everything here.
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]Gdemami
    For someone who has not been following the genre for 2 years you seem to know an awful lot on things we have been following daily in that time.

Thank you, I like to think that i come across as informed as well. This just comes from a few days of YT vids and whatnot though. This shit ain't rocket science ;)
    Vesavius said:

well, if you know that they are expensive, and you know, I guess, that projects *do* often run over budget and need additional funding, then i don't see what your gripe is.

Yes, again, a bit. Look, the word 'bit' is not a set value, is it? It is a subjective amount. Compared to building a game from scratch, it was a 'bit of dev time'. They have the engine, assets, backend, infrastructure, and pretty much everything else in place already. So, yep, a 'bit' (which, as a word, I think you are getting emotionally caught up on, it seems).

Honestly, it's like you are just on a mission to see the worst in everything here.
    So you are saying that they blew through their $30M already?  

That was fast.

Vesavius said:

That was fast.
    Nope, I am not saying that, Cathy Newman. Maybe they have, maybe they haven't... How would I know? Maybe they can just see that at their current burn that they will need extra funding to ease the way later.

What I AM saying is that extra revenue is good for the game whatever, and the information they harvest from Apoc will be even better.
    ConstantineMerus
    edited January 2019
    Vesavius said:
    Vesavius said:

That was fast.
    Nope, I am not saying that, Cathy Newman. Maybe they have, maybe they haven't... How would I know? Maybe they can just see that at their current burn that they will need extra funding to ease the way later.

What I AM saying is that extra revenue is good for the game whatever, and the information they harvest from Apoc will be even better.
    Extra revenue for a different source is not necessarily good for the original game AT ALL. For reference see Fortnite: Save the World

Is there some rule that says monies raised from the BattleRoyale must be funneled into the development of the MMO?  Is there something preventing those monies from going directly to Stephen's pocket?  If so please link that info as I'd like to see it. To me, it's like saying "Boy I hope the Fortnite PvP Battle Royale does great because it's sure going to help get Save the WOrld developed faster and better!".

Information gained from this spin-off game may or may not be beneficial to the MMO.

GdemamiKyleran

Extra revenue for a different source is not necessarily good for the original game AT ALL. For reference see Fortnite: Save the World

Is there some rule that says monies raised from the BattleRoyale must be funneled into the development of the MMO?  Is there something preventing those monies from going directly to Stephen's pocket?  If so please link that info as I'd like to see it.

Information gained from this spin-off game may or may not be beneficial to the MMO.

Dude, it isn't good for you to live in this negative cynical headspace all the time. Yes, what you say here *could* be true, any revenue can be diverted and misused on pretty much any project, but have we seen any prior behaviour to suggest that's the case here?

Please feel free to link me any information that suggests so. I'd like to see it.

Look, the truth is I trust until people do something bad to break that trust. I don't judge them by the actions of others they are not attached to (Fortnite etc) and I take them at their word until they break that word. I don't believe everyone is a scammer out of the gate, just because someone else acted badly. This approach has served me very well up to this point.

As of this point, I see zero reasons to not trust AoC, and I see a lot of value for AoC in the implementation of AoC.

Take that or leave it. I am done debating it with you. You, in turn, are free to just not play the free game and go on with your life as if it didn't exist.
    [Deleted User]Slapshot1188Kyleran
    edited January 2019
    Arterius said:
    man I wish I could think like you but I have been burned to many times to even try
    I joined this forum in March 2004, and was active for years, up until about 2 years ago (or there abouts). I have been burned a hundred times by bad games through the years, but... If i was so burned out as to not trust any dev in the genre out of hand ever again, even before they had done anything wrong, I would just walk away.

Maybe it was the 2 years away that gave me distance and a fresh perspective. What i do refuse to do though is to be dragged back into that pit of negativity others are in (Not talking about you dude).

I'm just here to chill and look forward to these new exciting games :)
    [Deleted User]alkarionlog
    Vesavius said:

Is there some rule that says monies raised from the BattleRoyale must be funneled into the development of the MMO?  Is there something preventing those monies from going directly to Stephen's pocket?  If so please link that info as I'd like to see it.

Dude, it isn't good for you to live in this negative cynical headspace all the time. Yes, what you say here *could* be true, any revenue can be diverted and misused on pretty much any project, but have we seen any prior behaviour to suggest that's the case here?

Please feel free to link me any information that suggests so. I'd like to see it.

Look, the truth is I trust until people do something bad to break that trust. I don't judge them by the actions of others they are not attached to (Fortnite etc) and I take them at their word until they break that word. I don't believe everyone is a scammer out of the gate, just because someone else acted badly. This approach has served me very well up to this point.

As of this point, I see zero reasons to not trust AoC, and I see a lot of value for AoC in the implementation of AoC.

Take that or leave it. I am done debating it with you. You, in turn, are free to just not play the free game and go on with your life as if it didn't exist.
    So when they said they had all the money they needed, but now you say they need more...  that is not breaking any trust?

Interesting lengths you go to in order to reach that conclusion...

KyleranGdemami

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I will be astounded if any true mmorpg player comes away thinking this game has any chance of being a good mmorpg.
    They might be able to pull off something else other than a rpg,what that might be idk,i think they have already tried to cover their tracks with the BR idea.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    So here you have a small independent dev who has actully produced a good looking playable version of their game (faster than any I can recall), and we got the need bergaid bashing them because they don’t have any fetch quests todo or scripted npcs to fight.

Riannesalkarionlog[Deleted User]
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    bcbully said:
    So here you have a small independent dev who has actully produced a good looking playable version of their game (faster than any I can recall), and we got the need bergaid bashing them because they don’t have any fetch quests todo or scripted npcs to fight.

Huh?  There is a playable version of the MMO?  That would be real news! 
    Unfortunately no... there is a playable(?) BattleRoyale with a working cash shop.
    Two very different things.
    Riannes[Deleted User]KyleranGdemami

• DhaenonDhaenon Member UncommonPosts: 150
    While I don't like BR games, I can be convinced that it was a good idea. People like them, they can be used for testing and all that whatever, even selling access to it.

However, the moment a cash shop was introduced, come on guys. That can't be defended.
    Kyleran
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Why do I get the feeling this is being rushed out the door and isn't truly ready for primetime?
    Riannes
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter