Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPGs dead? Nonsense! This is the most exciting time for upcoming games that I can remember.

VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
Now, I admit... I toook some time away from mainstream MMORPGs because the whole thing was boring to me, preferring to play classic Everquest, but I have to say... The future looks so bright to me. So many choices from Ashes of Creation to Hytale to watch grow and maybe eventually play.

I think I am back!

Why is the general vibe in the genre so deflated and negative? I don't get it.
craftseeker[Deleted User]mmoloualkarionlogMaurgrimDekahnViper482Trolldefender99Tezcatlapocca

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Arterius said:
    Failed promises mostly. 
    eh? How so?

oh, you mean people are jaded because they have been burned in the past?

They should have done what i did and taken a break from it all for a while until it started to look fun again.
    SovrathAmathecraftseekeralkarionlogTrolldefender99MrMelGibson
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Vesavius said:
    Arterius said:
    Failed promises mostly. 
    eh? How so?

They should have done what i did and taken a break from it all for a while until it started to look fun again.
    Mostly burnout at this point due the never ending story development is taking. 

I am CU KSer backer and I knew the 2 year promise date was not likely.

Never expected to be at the 6 year mark (April) with the game still in beta and no realistic promise date still.

Crowfall, Star Citizen, Pantheon, etc, all just part of the Song that Doesn't End.

Let's all sing along....

VesaviusGdemamiConstantineMerusWellspringTrolldefender99AlBQuirkyMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Never expected to be at the 6 year mark (April) with the game still in beta and no realistic promise date still.

Crowfall, Star Citizen, Pantheon, etc, all just part of the Song that Doesn't End.

lol, I do get that, truly, but having a break from following these games over the last few years and just playing EQ in my own little bubble has given me fresh eyes, I think.

I have just started looking at games in development again the last few days, tbh.

CU looks good for sure, I am now watching that, but i think, if it lands as it promises, AoC is probably top for me right now.

TBH, following mmorpgs was always a waiting game, but hopefully I have missed most of it this time. maybe.
    Trolldefender99
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2019
    Vesavius said:
    Arterius said:
    Failed promises mostly. 
    eh? How so?

No, jaded from promise after promise falling through, deadline after deadline missed to the tune of years.
    craftseekerTrolldefender99NorseGodMrMelGibson

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited January 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Vesavius said:
    Arterius said:
    Failed promises mostly. 
    eh? How so?

Let's all sing along....

You'd never believe that she was a babe when she was younger!

edit: AND she wrote an episode of the original star trek. Rowrrr!

MendelKyleranConstantineMerusAlBQuirkyMrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Vesavius said:
    Arterius said:
    Failed promises mostly. 
    eh? How so?

Good advice. I am taking a break. But I still come here and kvetch. 
    VesaviusAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Arterius said:
    Vesavius said:

TBH, following mmorpgs was always a waiting game, but hopefully I have missed most of it this time. maybe.
    You didn't. Regardless of what the creators of AoC say that game is not coming out in 2019 unless it comes out half baked because they haven't even started alpha 2 tests yet. Which is when they start testing the MMO section of the game. CU is still 3 years away. Maybe 2 if we are lucky. Pantheon is at least 3 years away if we are lucky.

oh, I am not expecting anything soon, but, hey, on the upside I have cut out of 2 years checking news daily like I used to do. Gotta look on the bright side!
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    It's nice to see optimism. 

I'm just a patient gamer that think MMO's are not my cup of tea anymore. I don't follow games in development as it doesn't really matter. Just release the game and then I'll spend 5-10 minutes researching it. 

No point to check on every update every few months if it is so far from releasing. Like Star Citizen is a game I'd definitely play if it fully released, but I'll just wait until they release it for sure, then I'll spend some time researching it. If I still like it and the reviews are good, I'll pick it up, if not, I won't. 

No point in researching games until they are close to release any way. 

KyleranMaurgrimAlverantAlBQuirky
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I made a post a little bit ago trying to figure out which games in development were traditional mmorpgs with quests, etc.  The answer I got back from everyone is - none, besides maybe the two superhero mmorpgs being made.

I'm glad you are excited, but since I can't even name one mmorpg in development besides two possibilities in the superhero genre, I can't join in your excitement.  I wish I could join you.  Is Ashes of Creation a real mmorpg or is it a crafting game with some pvp?  Or a MOBA?  Since I know nothing about it and judging by the comments it has been around for a while I feel safe assuming it isn't a traditional mmorpg.   

I think this is a wonderful time for people who don't like traditional mmorpgs but love crafting games, games without any or only super lite rpg elements like character development or adult-oriented rpg systems, games made to be watched instead of played, etc.
    blamo2000 said:
    Is Ashes of Creation a real mmorpg or is it a crafting game with some pvp?  Or a MOBA?  Since I know nothing about it and judging by the comments it has been around for a while I feel safe assuming it isn't a traditional mmorpg.   

I think this is a wonderful time for people who don't like traditional mmorpgs but love crafting games, games without any or only super lite rpg elements like character development or adult-oriented rpg systems, games made to be watched instead of played, etc.

Well, a 'real mmorpg' is not definied by having quests... I am sure a game like Pantheon will have quests though. Did no one mnetion that to you? it's a very traditional mmorpg.

AoC is far more than the questions you are asking. There is no doubt that it is 100% a mmorpg, not a MOBA. It isn't traditional, no, it is shaking it all up, but like I say... Pantheon, and maybe SoL and others, are there for us when we want a more traditional experience.

TBH, looking at the most anticipated list on the front page, there seems to be something for most tastes. I am suprised that there is nothing there that interests you... Maybe you are just over MMORPGs in general?
    Thupli
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Arterius said:
    Vesavius said:
    blamo2000 said:
    Is Ashes of Creation a real mmorpg or is it a crafting game with some pvp?  Or a MOBA?  Since I know nothing about it and judging by the comments it has been around for a while I feel safe assuming it isn't a traditional mmorpg.   

Well, a 'real mmorpg' is not definied by having quests... I am sure a game like Pantheon will have quests though. Did no one mnetion that to you? it's a very traditional mmorpg.

AoC is far more than the questions you are asking. There is no doubt that it is 100% a mmorpg, not a MOBA. It isn't traditional, no, it is shaking it all up, but like I say... Pantheon, and maybe SoL and others, are there for us when we want a more traditional experience.

TBH, looking at the most anticipated list on the front page, there seems to be something for most tastes. I am suprised that there is nothing there that interests you... Maybe you are just over MMORPGs in general?
    There is only two games that I don't kick myself to this day backing. That is Pantheon and Ship Of heroes. Both games have made great improvements and I think will actually come out. Pantheon I can not wait to play in Alpha and Ship of Heroes (though no time line of when people will get to play) has made huge leaps forwards last year. They hope to do even more this year.

Why does it matter if you back them? Do you guys extra loot? A head start? What happens if they suck and by the time it comes out will you be even interested in playing the game?

KyleranMrMelGibson
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    Arterius said:
    There is only two games that I don't kick myself to this day backing. That is Pantheon and Ship Of heroes.

Yeah, Pantheon is progressing really well and has a solid crew on it. Ship of Heroes? This is a new one to me... I shall check it out.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I am just done with the same game with a different skin repeat. Over and over again. The mmorpg never evolved. It just rehashed the same mechanics and gameplay over and over again.  I have been there done that for over 20 years with no real change it has just grown stale for me.

See... What we have is one guy earlier in the thread saying that there are no trad mmorpgs upcoming, which there are, and you saying that it's the same old thing over again, which it isn't.

There are plenty of fresh ideas on the table in these upcoming games.

But, it sounds like you are just done with the genre in general, so nothing I am gonna say will chnage that.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

You mean Ashes? Let us see an actual game before you anoint it the savior of a genre. So far it is just a collection of past ideas in a new skin. We have seen them all before. Nothing is real until it is released. 

Hytale? Look I like the folks at Hypixel studios (Shout out to my buddy Min) but Hytale is not an mmorpg. It is a hybrid model game like I stated earlier. Think a game like NWN. 
    Fun testing though ;)

I didn't anoint AoC anything. I said it has fresh ideas. Don't be that guy. Talk to me in good faith and we will get along a lot better.
    MrMelGibson

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited January 2019
    Vesavius said:
    blamo2000 said:

You have missed the memo, right now Ashes is preparing to launch a beta version of their stand alone BR game, tomorrow in fact.

It even comes with a fully functional cash shop, like all good BRs do.

Now sure, they claim to be working full speed on the MMORPG, but take a look at how Epic basically walked away from their PVE version when their Fortnite BR blew up into a sensation. 

These be perilous days indeed.

;)
    [Deleted User]Thupli

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

See I take a different stance.
     I am not jaded or let down by crowdfunding or whatever. I am just done with the same game with a different skin repeat. Over and over again. The mmorpg never evolved. It just rehashed the same mechanics and gameplay over and over again.  I have been there done that for over 20 years with no real change it has just grown stale for me. There are just other hybrid model games that have come along and taken over and pushed the mmorpg aside. 
    Millions of prior mmorpg players have left the genre behind as the genre could not keep up and continue to change. 
    Many things in life are cyclical so perhaps the mmorpg will reinvent itself at some point but I hardly think it will resemble what many of us from the golden age would recognize. 
    What we once knew is gone.  
    I am confused.  Here you claim the problem with the genre is it has failed to evolve.

Yet in this same forum people will claim the genre's problems are because it changed far too much from the early designs.

So which is it?

Or maybe its "we" (the playerbase)  who has changed?

Weird.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkyThupli

Kyleran said:
    I am confused.  Here you claim the problem with the genre is it has failed to evolve.

Yet in this same forum people will claim the genre's problems are because it changed far too much from the early designs.

So which is it?

Weird.

Pretty much what I said to Blueturtle, yeah.

Kyleran said:
    You have missed the memo, right now Ashes is preparing to launch a beta version of their stand alone BR game, tomorrow in fact.

nah, no memo missed. I am already discussing this in that relevant thread though, so I'm not gonna get into it here as well.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    [Deleted User]KyleranAlBQuirkyMrMelGibsonThupli
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited January 2019

I apologise for not being a cynical negative burnt out wreck. I mean, I could be, I have been in mmorpgs since '99 and played many, but I am not. For that, i apologise.
    [Deleted User]Thupli
    Vesavius said:
    Now, I admit... I toook some time away from mainstream MMORPGs because the whole thing was boring to me, preferring to play classic Everquest, but I have to say... The future looks so bright to me. So many choices from Ashes of Creation to Hytale to watch grow and maybe eventually play.

I think I am back!

Why is the general vibe in the genre so deflated and negative? I don't get it.

Enjoy the long boring show of games that disappoint at 5 years of waiting. 
    lol, it's a minor sideshow for me, nothing more. I am back in DaoC tommorow on a new server, so I have that to look forward to, and Kunark will drop sometime in the future on my EQ server. I'm not bored :)