Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Pre-order this game?

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
edited January 2019 in The Division 2
I see in some threads that quite a few people have pre-ordered this game and I honestly wonder why. I'm not the kind of person who tells others what they should or shouldn't do with their money. I just want to know your reasoning here.

Is there some special benefit that you can get through pre-ordering? It's not like they're going to run out. I haven't looked into it much, so I'm sincerely curious. I've heard there are a lot of different versions of pre-order available. 

I loved The Division 1 as a solo player (except for the Dark Zone, which is something else I'm interested to see how The Div 2 handles). I want The Div 2 to be good.

Personally, I don't want to pre-order games anymore since Destiny 2. I know Ubisoft is a different company, but do you really trust them not to not mess it up with excessive mtx, or to make The Div 2 not be another fiasco on the scale of Destiny 2? I don't want to give AAA devs my money in advance anymore only to hear them saying "We hear you" and "We hope to do better."

Why would you pre-order this title?

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I guess everyone must have their own crazy reasons but I did because I'd like to play it. 
    GdemamiMrMelGibson
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited January 2019
    I guess everyone must have their own crazy reasons but I did because I'd like to play it. 
    That's really funny, Constantine. But the question is not whether you want to play it or not. It's specifically about why you pre-ordered it. I guess you have a lot of trust in Ubisoft, but you didn't elaborate on that.

Probably, unconsciously, I want to trust Ubisoft and pre-order the  game, so I'm looking for you guys to talk me into it against my better judgment.
    ConstantineMerusGdemamiThunder073

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I didn't, because The Division is one of the biggest PoS I ever played and I have serious doubts about this one too.
    Cryomatrix
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    d_20 said:
    That's really funny, Constantine. But the question is not whether you want to play it or not. It's specifically about why you pre-ordered it. I guess you have a lot of trust in Ubisoft, but you didn't elaborate on that.

Probably, unconsciously, I want to trust Ubisoft and pre-order the  game, so I'm looking for you guys to talk me into it against my better judgment.
    Yeah sorry mate, I was being funny. Of course I pre-ordered because I want to be there upon launch. But that doesn't require much of a trust when it comes down to me and buying games. I don't read reviews, nor watch YouTube, and God forbid never streams. I rely on my own judgment, and I can afford to pay for my mistakes. I also never feel burnt or anything. And it's fine to get an awful game once in a while. But to be honest, I can't recall the last time I got a game that I didn't like. 

All that said, I don't pre-order many games, in fact, I rarely do. I think Ubisoft has been doing great on all fronts since Syndicate. So they deserve a little bit of my support. But it is still more about waiting for the servers to come up and get in as soon as I can. That has its own fun. 
    d_20
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    d_20 said:

The last 2 games I purchased from Ubi I've been more than happy. AC:Odyssey and The Division 1. Being that I really enjoyed the first Division, this wasn't a hard decision for me.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The way things are going currently i would not even remotely consider pre-ordering this game, i am fairly sure the reason why Ubi are not going to be selling the game via Steam is purely because like the infamous Batman game, it will end up being massively refunded if they do, if they use platforms that don't support refunds or at least put a significant number of hurdles in the way of anyone who tries to, like EA's infamous Origin platform, then they are more likely to not lose money.
    Red flags are red flags and The Division 2 is starting to raise them, on that basis alone i would avoid pre-ordering. Once the game has been launched and has proven itself assuming it isn't yet another disaster, that is the only time to consider buying imo :/
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    The last game I preordered was For Honor, and only did because i saved $10 bucks on Greenman Gaming. I really don't like preordering, but I will be playing The Division 2 after I see how much it improves over the first game, which I enjoyed despite it's big flaws.
    ConstantineMerusd_20

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The Division wasn't on my radar at all.  I got in on a free weekend and loved it.  I missed playing the first few months at the start so missed all the problems they say the game had at first, so the version I've played was very enjoyable.  I'm looking forward to the Division 2 as it looks like a continuation of one.  Haven't pre-ordered yet as I'm waiting to play beta first but will probably order during that time.  
    d_20

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I think you are pretty safe pre ordering Ubisoft games, at least major multiplayer ones. They have very good support, and if for some reason they fall out, they find ways to retain players. Rainbow 6 Siege, and For Honor both didn't seem like they would take off, but somehow they managed to make R6S into one of the biggest shooters and keep For Honor active even after it seemed like everyone was going to leave. 

That being said. I don't know if there's a distinct reason to pre order it. You could always just wait until launch day and buy it if you want. You get a private beta code for pre ordering which can be neat I guess.
    d_20
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Arterius said:
    Phry said:
    The way things are going currently i would not even remotely consider pre-ordering this game, i am fairly sure the reason why Ubi are not going to be selling the game via Steam is purely because like the infamous Batman game, it will end up being massively refunded if they do, if they use platforms that don't support refunds or at least put a significant number of hurdles in the way of anyone who tries to, like EA's infamous Origin platform, then they are more likely to not lose money.
    Red flags are red flags and The Division 2 is starting to raise them, on that basis alone i would avoid pre-ordering. Once the game has been launched and has proven itself assuming it isn't yet another disaster, that is the only time to consider buying imo :/
    I would be stunned if it had the techinal problems of batman. This week they are at some PC convention talking about the game, releasing specs, and talking about how the PC build was built from the ground up for PC and isn't a port. If they F this up now then they are in deep trouble. I expect a rocky launch, like all online games do, but a solid gaming experience. 
    Agreed. Not only that but refunds have zero to do with the Steam decision as Epic offers the same refund policy as Steam ;) 
    If Epic also offers a refund for a game as long as you haven't played the game for 2 hours or more, then that is admirable, but is it conditional? would they refund a game like Division 2 or would they kick it back to Uplay/Ubisoft.
    The Epic game store is too new and so far untested, i hope they offer the same kind of refund policy as Steam, but even there, its a wait and see.
    Either way to pre-order at this stage is questionable, i don't like to pre-order generally and there are red flags that first need to be addressed, which probably can't be resolved until the game is released.
    However even then there is the question of how to buy the game, i absolutely trust Steam, so the only alternative may well be to buy a physical copy of the game instead of a digital one. :/
    d_20
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Phry said:
    Arterius said:
    Phry said:
    I would be stunned if it had the techinal problems of batman. This week they are at some PC convention talking about the game, releasing specs, and talking about how the PC build was built from the ground up for PC and isn't a port. If they F this up now then they are in deep trouble. I expect a rocky launch, like all online games do, but a solid gaming experience. 
    Agreed. Not only that but refunds have zero to do with the Steam decision as Epic offers the same refund policy as Steam ;) 
    If Epic also offers a refund for a game as long as you haven't played the game for 2 hours or more, then that is admirable, but is it conditional? would they refund a game like Division 2 or would they kick it back to Uplay/Ubisoft.
    The Epic game store is too new and so far untested, i hope they offer the same kind of refund policy as Steam, but even there, its a wait and see.
    There's people on reddit that have tested it. It's exactly the same as Steam apparently.
    All you need to do is send the invoice number through e-mail and you get a refund from Epic.
    They apparently also mentioned they will be upgrading the way you get a refund the coming months and you'll only need to select your order though the launcher and if you qualify you get a refund.

Steam's refund system is appreciated so it makes sense for Epic to copy it.

The better for us.
    d_20

..Cake..

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    sgel said:
    Phry said:
    Arterius said:
    Phry said:
    There's people on reddit that have tested it. It's exactly the same as Steam apparently.
    All you need to do is send the invoice number through e-mail and you get a refund from Epic.
    They apparently also mentioned they will be upgrading the way you get a refund the coming months and you'll only need to select your order though the launcher and if you qualify you get a refund.

The better for us.
    I really wish Steam and others would provide refunds on things that never pan out to what they were supposed to. I tried to get refunds on games I played less than 2 hours, but never released or got released with no features, and valve refuses all refunds if they are longer than 2 weeks after purchase date. 
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    why indeed

no game deserve a pre order, but some people have a hard time to learn from they mistakes
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    sgel said:
    Phry said:
    Arterius said:
    Phry said:

The better for us.
    I really wish Steam and others would provide refunds on things that never pan out to what they were supposed to. I tried to get refunds on games I played less than 2 hours, but never released or got released with no features, and valve refuses all refunds if they are longer than 2 weeks after purchase date. 
    Just don't preorder then.
    There's an ocean of games out there... just play something else while you wait to see if the game pans out before you buy.
    d_20

..Cake..

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Phry said:
    You do realize that steams refund policy was a direct result of Origins superior refund policy right? They had it before steam did. I'm guessing you're one of those who either never used Origins, or haven't since it launched. It's actually a solid platform .
    alkarionlogConstantineMerus
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    I will be buying upon release. I do not pre order games, as you stated they wont run out, and I do not care for the cosmetic items. I have a hard stance that I no longer buy games until they are in full release, not pre order, not beta, not early access. 
    d_20
    FYI There's a 15% discount for pre-orders on Greenman Gaming right now.
    MrMelGibson

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    why indeed

no game deserve a pre order, but some people have a hard time to learn from they mistakes

The only game I'd pre-order is Path of Exile 2 and I kind of payed them $40 bucks to beta test when they added new acts. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't pre-order anything. 

The thing to appreciate is everyone has different tastes and likes. Some people will never understand why people pre-order and other people will never understand how curmudgeon some people can be. 
    d_20
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    edited January 2019
    why indeed

The only game I'd pre-order is Path of Exile 2 and I kind of payed them $40 bucks to beta test when they added new acts. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't pre-order anything. 

The thing to appreciate is everyone has different tastes and likes. Some people will never understand why people pre-order and other people will never understand how curmudgeon some people can be. 
    +Extra points for playing the "curmudgeon" card.
    MrMelGibson