Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlas: Barefoot, Naked & Underwhelmed - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,463
    edited January 10
    I have to say that today they did two updates and seemingly fixed some issues,so they are trying.
    There is a LOT going on in the game however that needs addressing because i feel they might have already lost a lot of players.
    From day1 there SHOULD have been a few official servers to keep everyone happy,as claims were owned up very quickly.
    Pvp is just poorly done.
    The noob starting experience needs to be about 10x better.Now to give them some credit,they added a 10 paragraph popup that happens to give noobs hints.Players SHOULD be able to craft anything anywhere in the safe zones,they simply decay very quickly after the players leave for the first time.They did this with the free Sloop they added,it decays and sinks in a matter of hours.

    There are too many creatures spawning in some areas and the AI is awful with tons of mobs trying to run through a tree or stuck running up against a rock wall.

    Aggro is done really bad,seems like proximity then the creatures move in very fast and the movement is very glitchy.

    Flags all over the place in the water,idk why i assume something to do with taking control of any treasure in the water.None the less all those flags just look silly out there in the middle of the ocean bobbing on kegs.

    Fishing needs work,the menus need work vitamin depletion is too fast,weather changes too fast from like 36 to -3 in seconds,crossing over zones is hitchy and again the biome is very abrupt to the point it looks fake.It is really tough for new players to understand what to unlock or how to unlock some ideas.

    I could go on and on,it is simply an extremely rushed product that will likely have few players left by time they get the game is ship shape order.

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • KratukKratuk Member UncommonPosts: 13
    edited January 10
    Yeah that about summed up my dismal experience with this game. Atlas was a huge letdown.

    "Before you go all “but it’s early access!” - yes, it is but they charged for it. It isn’t a paid beta and these days early access just means ‘here’s our buggy game, give us money and we’ll probably fix it eventually’.
    Read more at https://www.mmorpg.com/atlas/columns/atlas-barefoot-naked-and-underwhelmed-1000013332#RVcPw1XkZegBK7Oq.99"

    This statement is so true. Just look at H1Z1 Just Survive or the graveyard of other abandoned early access games for how little that label matters. And these days I just don't care if you slap an early access label on your game. If you're charging money for a product then you deserve every ounce of criticism you get when it doesn't work properly.

    I certainly feel your pain with the spawn issues. And that's not even touching on all the rubberbanding at launch, sluggish performance even on strong PCs, and just horrific AI behavior. I even watched Xiceman's stream when I couldn't log on myself due to the servers being borked at launch and that poor guy died to a bug and then spent the next hour + respawning in the ocean to only die by drowning or death by electric eel while attempting to swim back to land.

    Then the 40k player per server is a bit misleading. Apparently the way it's set up is each square segment of the map is its own server, which can only actually hold around 150 people. So there's probably some potential problems there down the road, especially should a large scale war between rivals is waged.

    All in all it was very lackluster and disappointing.
  • rodarinrodarin Member RarePosts: 2,451
    Wizardry said:
    I have to say that today they did two updates and seemingly fixed some issues,so they are trying.
    There is a LOT going on in the game however that needs addressing because i feel they might have already lost a lot of players.
    From day1 there SHOULD have been a few official servers to keep everyone happy,as claims were owned up very quickly.
    Pvp is just poorly done.
    The noob starting experience needs to be about 10x better.Now to give them some credit,they added a 10 paragraph popup that happens to give noobs hints.Players SHOULD be able to craft anything anywhere in the safe zones,they simply decay very quickly after the players leave for the first time.They did this with the free Sloop they added,it decays and sinks in a matter of hours.

    There are too many creatures spawning in some areas and the AI is awful with tons of mobs trying to run through a tree or stuck running up against a rock wall.

    Aggro is done really bad,seems like proximity then the creatures move in very fast and the movement is very glitchy.

    Flags all over the place in the water,idk why i assume something to do with taking control of any treasure in the water.None the less all those flags just look silly out there in the middle of the ocean bobbing on kegs.

    Fishing needs work,the menus need work vitamin depletion is too fast,weather changes too fast from like 36 to -3 in seconds,crossing over zones is hitchy and again the biome is very abrupt to the point it looks fake.It is really tough for new players to understand what to unlock or how to unlock some ideas.

    I could go on and on,it is simply an extremely rushed product that will likely have few players left by time they get the game is ship shape order.
    They cant afford the servers theyre trying to run now. Adding servers to appease players left out has never worked. There arent enough people on the official servers anyway so why add more? Streamers and their zergs were the biggest issues. Looking at the maps streamers own a vast majority of the largest owned areas. 

    They just need to change their PvP mechanics which they never will. I guess they did change some of the claiming mechanics but not sure if they helped or hurt smaller groups. But once the bigger groups stop playing (streaming) then people can go back in and claim land that has been deserted. In a couple weeks I am sure there will be more than enough land for anyone left playing on the official servers.

    But they could limit the amount of land companies and alliances can control. Just like they should limit the number of people in a company by half if not more than current numbers, and allow a limited number of official alliances (like to 3) and anyone that actively raids and takes claims from people Any alliance they have would be temporary, 'Pirates' and 'raiders' should have any sort of lang lasting alliances at all. 

    They should also look at some sort of (loose) faction system (based on in game actions). Or at least a wanted system similar to FO 76 but obviously better implemented.

    They basically released a buggy broken griefer sandbox and are now trying to make is 'casual' friendly. But way too little way too late.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,505
    They call this a game?  I call it what it is a major gankfest.  ROFL to the foolish people who play.

  • Haki88Haki88 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Game optimization is disaster. Soooo many people with low/off settings and poor fps

    Servers are mess ping from 60 to 115, in rare cases 255.

    Cheats/exploits lol, i can talk about this at least 1 hour, from resources wallhack, dumping, aimbot where you headshot alfas each time from 200m but they enabled anti cheat, finnaly^^ Now is this fair? I mean so many people cheated so far, specially resources and aflas for levels, and now they have huge basses, got galleon before everyone, make their company name on server, got more company members because of what? They cheated? Look chinese, they used their max member company 500, and every time they go to raid they invite everyone they raided to their company which would crash their game, and this is EA.. this is EEEEEEEA.

    Gameplay system is omg.... and i mean real gameplay, you cant leave company, if you leave everything you builded is not yours, so you can be months in company and with 1 single click leave/kick and everything YOU made including basses, ship which includes all items you have are lost FOREVER !

    Guild Permissions are also bad, i mean am not in that kind of company thank god where leader wont give me permission example am making some structures and i cant demolish it but i read some people are having real issues there, they collect resources for walls, floors, stairs, gates etc etc 1 single mistake and they need to wait officer or leader to come and demolish that wall, YOUR WALL !!! WOW, just WOW !

    Now connect this with gameplay system i described above, they increased gate resources, so you need to gather more, reduced pistol dmg, so now you need to spend skills and more resources making new rifle and ofc new bullets which takes time. I mean what this game is? Remindes me of my sister playing Sims 4, 90% of her gameplay is building houses^^ And ofc as i said before, more stupid updates, more time to waste, 1 click leave company or get kicked and you lost EVERYTHING. So imagine guy staying in guild for months and in 1 click he loose everything he was doing these months? I mean ofc sometimes that guy will be raided by other enemy company/alliance but he wont loose all things, he will lose only some.

    Ozmodan
  • NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 401
    I dont know why this game got such a hype but a Darkfall game not. It has everything Atlas has, except the free form building. It runs smooth and we are talking about a game that released first 2008 and its engine root back into the 90s.

    https://www.riseofagon.com/
    Existentialist
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 3,853
    Haki88 said:
    Game optimization is disaster. Soooo many people with low/off settings and poor fps

    Servers are mess ping from 60 to 115, in rare cases 255.

    Cheats/exploits lol, i can talk about this at least 1 hour, from resources wallhack, dumping, aimbot where you headshot alfas each time from 200m but they enabled anti cheat, finnaly^^ Now is this fair? I mean so many people cheated so far, specially resources and aflas for levels, and now they have huge basses, got galleon before everyone, make their company name on server, got more company members because of what? They cheated? Look chinese, they used their max member company 500, and every time they go to raid they invite everyone they raided to their company which would crash their game, and this is EA.. this is EEEEEEEA.

    Gameplay system is omg.... and i mean real gameplay, you cant leave company, if you leave everything you builded is not yours, so you can be months in company and with 1 single click leave/kick and everything YOU made including basses, ship which includes all items you have are lost FOREVER !

    Guild Permissions are also bad, i mean am not in that kind of company thank god where leader wont give me permission example am making some structures and i cant demolish it but i read some people are having real issues there, they collect resources for walls, floors, stairs, gates etc etc 1 single mistake and they need to wait officer or leader to come and demolish that wall, YOUR WALL !!! WOW, just WOW !

    Now connect this with gameplay system i described above, they increased gate resources, so you need to gather more, reduced pistol dmg, so now you need to spend skills and more resources making new rifle and ofc new bullets which takes time. I mean what this game is? Remindes me of my sister playing Sims 4, 90% of her gameplay is building houses^^ And ofc as i said before, more stupid updates, more time to waste, 1 click leave company or get kicked and you lost EVERYTHING. So imagine guy staying in guild for months and in 1 click he loose everything he was doing these months? I mean ofc sometimes that guy will be raided by other enemy company/alliance but he wont loose all things, he will lose only some.

    Its an EA game that they wont do wipe because all the ones that gobbled everything up will get mad and quit so it really isnt an EA game.
  • rodarinrodarin Member RarePosts: 2,451
    People are quitting anyway if they wiped it MIGHT entice a few people back. But not enough to justify it to them probably.

    These games are just poorly designed. These lazy companies have basically destroyed the 'sandbox' myth/mystique. By making these games that are almost empty (maybe some really generic lore) and relying on building or taming or PvP to be the content. Add in reskinned assets and the same buggy code and they can put shit like this out perpetually and call it something else. They could release a 'western' one in a month and claim it was what Reddeadredemption II was 'supposed' to be. But i think some mods actually made something close to that already.

    The mod kit theyre going to release will definitely bring a rise back to the private servers. As long as you can find (or host) one that is halfway decent. But those will get boring just like ARK did but the RPers will have something to do for awhile.

    Anyone who knew anything knew the official servers would be trash, In some ways theyre actually better than expected but in more ways theyre much worse. (and getting even more so)

  • ExistentialistExistentialist Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Had a great time in our 50 person company for the last 2 weeks.

    Constant guild battles.

    Over 100 hours of entertainment for $30.
    Got my moneys worth already.

    Yes it is rough, but there is fun to be had if you persist.
    OzmodanKyleran
  • rodarinrodarin Member RarePosts: 2,451
    Had a great time in our 50 person company for the last 2 weeks.

    Constant guild battles.

    Over 100 hours of entertainment for $30.
    Got my moneys worth already.

    Yes it is rough, but there is fun to be had if you persist.
    no offense but every time someone starts talking about how many hours they have i a game trying to justify its 'worth' or 'value' are grasping at straws really.

    I have almost 1500 hours in ARK. I have probably 5000 in Lotro and I havent played in 3 years, I have 1600 or so in Fall out 4. A few hundred in at least another 30 Steam and GoG games (some I got for less than 5 bucks. Time spent playing doesnt really equate. And its generally used when someone is trying too hard to defend a game that they cant defend anyway else.

    But I am sure you guys are having fun, its a fun game for a lot of people. If you can look past all the other stuff. I did that with ARK, like I said to the tune of almost 1500 hours (havent played that since the first expansion either)obviously I got 'my moneys worth out of it' if you go by dollars to hours ratio. But with MMOs you definitely cant use that scale.

    MMOs should give you thousands of hours. ESO I have owned for about 4 years I still havent gotten to a thousand on that I dont think. But I own (two of) everything it has but I havent seen any of the last few DLCS or expansions. But should I say I have gotten my moneys worth out of those? I have seen clockwork city, golden harbor or whatever the murder place is, I dont even know what is DLC or what was expansion. I know i own them but havent played nay of them. Only ones I have played are the thief guild on and the orc place. Getting or got my moneys worth yet?

    Lotro even a 'better' deal since they went F2P 8 or 9 years ago they have actually been paying me for having an account (two) because I bought lifetime passes for 199 (that was the price pre release) havent played since Rohan basically. But stil the best money I ever spent even tough I havent seen the last 2 or 3 years worth of content.

    I guess its all a matter of perspective when it comes down to it, but it really shouldnt be based on how many hours you have but how fun or engaging the thing is while youre doing it.


  • IRobertusIRobertus Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Have about 10 hours in and only dealt with one major bug so far and I am easily getting 60+ FPS with everything maxed out at 1440p (1080ti/i7). Not sure why this game gets so much hate (oh wait internet in 2019) but it does not deserve it and will have a large player base.

    If everyone acts like this when a new game gets released how can we ever expect to get another major AAA western MMO. This Early Access release has been fine and the game is very playable and enjoyable.
    OzmodanKyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,995

    IRobertus said:

    Have about 10 hours in and only dealt with one major bug so far and I am easily getting 60+ FPS with everything maxed out at 1440p (1080ti/i7). Not sure why this game gets so much hate (oh wait internet in 2019) but it does not deserve it and will have a large player base.



    If everyone acts like this when a new game gets released how can we ever expect to get another major AAA western MMO. This Early Access release has been fine and the game is very playable and enjoyable.




    Account created back in 2007, nary a peep and you chime back in with your 2nd post ever to support this, of all games?

    Weird.
    MadFrenchieOzmodanPhryAsheram

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 3,853
    I have 206 hours and its a crap shoot. Its a punishing game, I have gotten better at rebuilding from freeport only because I have done it a million times now. And it doesnt help that when you actually try to help some people they still grief you.
    KyleranOzmodan
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 3,853
    edited January 13
  • cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 6,385
    Asheram said:
    Holy smoke! That was hilarious!
    Asheram
    image
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    132 hours in, still having funs.

    image

  • MasoodVoonMasoodVoon Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Yeah I think most people that voted negatively after they fixed most of the major bugs the Monday or so after launch mainly came in expecting things radically different than Ark. This is much more than a reskin it is a sequel. There are new combat mechanics, an entire new sailing experience, hirable NPC's, etc. I have played this game with players who play LiF and they complain about framerates even though it is very similar imo. If you aren't enjoying a sandbox PVP pirate game I think you will find less than Ark PVE-wise in it's current release version however. I am impressed that they finally created a world where many servers worth of people can play together compared to their ark technology. Thousands can indeed play online without too much trouble when only 100 could with ark.
    KyleranOzmodan
  • MasoodVoonMasoodVoon Member UncommonPosts: 50

    Asheram said:

    I have 206 hours and its a crap shoot. Its a punishing game, I have gotten better at rebuilding from freeport only because I have done it a million times now. And it doesnt help that when you actually try to help some people they still grief you.


    Have you tried building a bed on a raft rather than going back to freeport continuously?
  • KanwulfKanwulf Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I am impressed that they finally created a world where many servers worth of people can play together compared to their ark technology. Thousands can indeed play online without too much trouble when only 100 could with ark.

    seriously?
    this is just 225 ark servers side by side not a giant open world, large companies do the same server capping crap as in Ark, flood the zone so whoever is being attacked can't get people in the zone to defend, to think this is in any way an MMO is laughable.
    Rather than having your crew load up your stuff into an obelisk and invade a server you just load ships and players and sail in, no difference.
    Just another offline raiding zergfest, the only good part of this game IMO is that the Devs will lose their arses on it and the only people who will make $ are the lameass streamers who are charging monthly fees to play with them, by "with them" I mean go farm stuff for them to crash into rocks because they have no clue what they are doing.
    Ozmodan
Sign In or Register to comment.