Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Online's Battle Royale Mode Coming to KR on January 15th - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageBlack Desert Online's Battle Royale Mode Coming to KR on January 15th - MMORPG.com

Pearl Abyss has released a Korean trailer for the upcoming Shadow Arena mode coming to Black Desert Online. Shadow Arena is BDO's take on battle royale and will be introduced on Korean servers on January 15th. At this time it is unknown when it will arrive for North American and European regions.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Trolldefender99

Comments

• NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,136
    edited January 2019
    ..sighs... image ---As long as Guild Wars 2 doesn't sellout to the Battle Royale trend, i'll continue to have some hope for MMO's holding on to some design integrity.
    Trolldefender99ConstantineMerusspeedylegs8KyleranOzmodan

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    lol prob the only time i'll re-install black desert.
    Trolldefender99
  • Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Oh,,, nice ,,,,, like BD needs another PVP mode!! You can't do any quests with out getting jumped and one shot by someone with OP gear!!

Well I guess the pros would be it's not forced on you!! To bad you cant say that for the rest of it!!
    Trolldefender99
  • MounaraMounara Member UncommonPosts: 10

Dr_Binks said:

Oh,,, nice ,,,,, like BD needs another PVP mode!! You can't do any quests with out getting jumped and one shot by someone with OP gear!!

Well I guess the pros would be it's not forced on you!! To bad you cant say that for the rest of it!!

At a guess, I'd say you're someone who likes the vanilla-ness of GW2 or the like. And the predictability of combat outcome in your MMO's. That's fair, everyone is different.

I'm not sure when the last time you played was, or the conditions/locations of your BDO Avatars murder, but ganking doesn't happen that often when out questing.

I've levelled every single class to 56 and beyond in BDO, and been ganked maybe twice or 3 times total. I've avoided it or held my own several more times even in crappy gear, by knowing at least some ways to defend myself from an otherwise unavoidable death.
    Pressing V to escape in a hurry is an effective way of getting the hell out of dodge :P

Ganking does happen if you're slashing away in someones grind spot. Most often the potential Avatar murderer will be kind enough to ask you to GTFO. What I see mostly these days is people just sharing the spot (probably a bunch of new players that don't want to die?)
    Otherwise a simple server change can alleviate your being ganked concern.

BDO isn't a game where you can go into the wild with a Happy Go Lucky attitude like most other MMO's, one really has to be aware of other factors that might kill you (Violent Mobs and like your example strong players). It's all part of the environment and adds a layer of extra "game stress" to make your adventure that bit more exciting and unpredictable.

It's not for everyone, I get that, no one wants to see their avatar mercilessly slaughtered at the hands of another player ;)
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The game does need something in it to give players a reason to PVP, not sure this is it though :p
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    DMKano said:
    Nothing wrong with adding another mode of PvP to the game - if they added capture the flag map - nobody would care.

Battle Royale is just another mode of PvP - they didn't redesign the entire game to be BR - so giving players another option is great IMO.
    Seems fashionable and edgy to hate on battle royale for no reason but to hate.
    I'm trying to understand how a BR mode works in a gear centric progression game, how do they keep it competitive between players of varying gear scores?

But yeah, if there is BR mode or game out there somewhere, I am more than happy to dogpile on it.

Same with sports, shooters, or other form of gameplay I'm not interested in.

Before you say it, yes developers really should create every new game towards my preferences, why would a self serving old cat like myself care about anything else?

:D

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    Nothing wrong with adding another mode of PvP to the game - if they added capture the flag map - nobody would care.

Battle Royale is just another mode of PvP - they didn't redesign the entire game to be BR - so giving players another option is great IMO.
    I'm trying to understand how a BR mode works in a gear centric progression game, how do they keep it competitive between players of varying gear scores?

But yeah, if there is BR mode or game out there somewhere, I am more than happy to dogpile on it.

Before you say it, yes developers really should create every new game towards my preferences, why would a self serving old cat like myself care about anything else?

Wait, your expecting it to be equal and fair in a game where level is not as important as gear? mwahaha.. its going to be all about the TET's  :p
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited January 2019
    Scratch my concerns,  I see players "spirits" inhabit fallen warriors bodies and likely gain no benefit from their personal effects.

If so, not a bad solution. 

Unless of course cash shop items can be purchased to boost performance or appearance,  my guess is they will go after a piece of the skin trading market, big money in doing so these days.

Phry

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Phry said:
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:

Wait, your expecting it to be equal and fair in a game where level is not as important as gear? mwahaha.. its going to be all about the TET's  :p
    They already said gear won't factor into this game mode.
    Everyone starts with an avatar just for that game mode, which they then gear up over the course of the match.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    ROFL