Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ELEX, a review so far (best RPG ever)

1235»

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    ErudWert said:
    Does it have enough contents?
    As a completionist it would take about 70 hours to beat the game. You can easily do 120 hours if you let yourself get lost in the game. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

Difficulty,
    As I hit level 20 I was able to increase my str. and dex. to where I could purchase 2 of 3 in Combat Melee Weapons Ability.  Also with the increase of str. and dex. I was able to equip a much stronger one hand weapon at the same time.... This made a world of difference.  I'm able to go through trash mobs much easer. 

This happened for me at level 13 after I joined the cleric faction, thanks to the combination of three factors:
    1) I was able to pick up the powerful black hole spell from the clerics.
    2) I started using a plasma rifle, which does similar damage to a bow and knocksdown enemies or stuns robots and is easier to meet the ability requirements for.
    3) I got another cleric ability which boosts ranged damage by 50 (more than doubling my damage).

There was basically no way to develop my character from levels 1 through 12 (about 15 hours playtime). Then in the space of one level (12 to 13),  I more than doubled my damage and gained a ranged aoe cc with strong damage. I went from hiding behind my companion and running away from most things to single-handedly taking out groups of strong enemies. I do not understand what the developer was thinking. 

Despite that I am still enjoying the game, it has sucked me into its world :)

Iselin[Deleted User]Octagon7711
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    YashaX said:
    1) I was able to pick up the powerful black hole spell from the clerics.

Calax welcomes you, brother. Spread the Word :)

Best story element in the game will come later on when you discover the roots of the Cleric's religion.
    YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    IT GETS EVEN BETTER !

These people, Piranha Bytes, their humble genius.  This game has so many hidden secrets, yet you wouldn't even realize the depth they put into this game. 

Heres what I'm talking about now: 
    Thievery.... I spent 2/3  points in pickpocket and having a ball, it's not only for picking pockets but sneaking around too.  Sure many games have this but this is lifelike and real.  People watch you carefully.  You can't pickpocket in front of them or with ANYONE ELSE looking in your direction and you have to be fast. 

Sleep until midnight and MOST go to bed, sometimes several people in the same room then pick their pockets... Be careful NEVER PICK TWICE or you'll wake them unless you have that perk.  Guards are up at night and can easy walk in on you, or worst they look in the windows ! 

Hay, since your at it clean out their house too, rob everything.  I'm getting extremely cool stuff, lots of money and even a quest. 

I know what your thinking no big deal, lots of games have this even Skyrim.... What you don't understand are all the rules you have to figure out (save until then). 

It's truly realistic, and had no idea this game had such a deep mini-game.

Since I figured this out, I'll spend 3/3 points and since I belong to the Berserker's they have another stealth ability... this I'll have to see :) 
    ConstantineMerusOctagon7711
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I find it intriguing that they only seem to have one female model and just change her hair style and clothes on all the different female characters you meet. 
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711
  • wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    This is on sale for $20 on Steam's midweek madness,  https://store.steampowered.com/app/411300/ELEX/
    [Deleted User]
    YashaX said:
    I find it intriguing that they only seem to have one female model and just change her hair style and clothes on all the different female characters you meet. 
    Hmm... can't say I noticed that. I haven't fired it up for a while but I seem to remember some variety. BTW, have you run into Nasty yet?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I don't just read the reviews on Steam.  I also have a tendency to analyze them a bit.  What I've found interesting is that most of the positive reviews have between 40 and 150 hours in the game from a few from months ago that say things like

Currently like 40 hours in i believe and the game is amazing. 

But they posted the review at the end of October and have 52 hours.

How amazing was it if you were 40 hours in on October and only played another 12 hours?  Is it just that short, or do the shortcomings of the game eventually wear you down and you quit?

But I decided to buy it anyway as an old gothic fan and I was not disappointed it is a 
    M A S T E R P I E C E

63.4 hours on record.  Review from October.

This is probably the first RPG in a while that had me going past the first several hours. Instead of a cookie-cutter, procedurely generated open pit of mediocrity, what you get instead is a lovingly handcrafted world.

If you want to get caught up in a gripping story with many sides to it. Then there are worse options than Elex. Give it a try.

13.2 hours on record.  Review from October.

With three playable factions, a huge open world, punishing combat and tons of quests I expected to see glowing reviews but with more around the hours that the top reviews of say, Witcher III, has.

Most of the top reviews on Witcher III have well over 200 hours into the game.

The point I'm trying to make is that it seems like people are in love with the idea of the game for a while, but don't stick around to keep playing it for very long.  So there's something that pushes them away around the 150 hour mark at the upper end for most people.

H0urg1ass said:
    I don't just read the reviews on Steam.  I also have a tendency to analyze them a bit.  What I've found interesting is that most of the positive reviews have between 40 and 150 hours in the game from a few from months ago that say things like

How amazing was it if you were 40 hours in on October and only played another 12 hours?  Is it just that short, or do the shortcomings of the game eventually wear you down and you quit?

But I decided to buy it anyway as an old gothic fan and I was not disappointed it is a 
    M A S T E R P I E C E

This is probably the first RPG in a while that had me going past the first several hours. Instead of a cookie-cutter, procedurely generated open pit of mediocrity, what you get instead is a lovingly handcrafted world.

If you want to get caught up in a gripping story with many sides to it. Then there are worse options than Elex. Give it a try.

With three playable factions, a huge open world, punishing combat and tons of quests I expected to see glowing reviews but with more around the hours that the top reviews of say, Witcher III, has.

The point I'm trying to make is that it seems like people are in love with the idea of the game for a while, but don't stick around to keep playing it for very long.  So there's something that pushes them away around the 150 hour mark at the upper end for most people.

Witcher 3 is a much, much longer game and it's also quite the high bar for any other story based RPG to meet for anyone who plays them for the story. These kinds of games are not really all that re-playable once you know how the story goes since that is the main hook. 60-100 hours for this one is a reasonable estimate for the average gamer. It can be rushed much faster than that and you can also spend much more time in it if you want to explore every nook cranny of the map.

IMO, W3 is well deserving the "masterpiece" rating. Elex is merely very good :)
    PhryYashaX

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    H0urg1ass said:

M A S T E R P I E C E

I went for the Platinum trophy on PS4--which wasn't easy at all--and it took me about 80 hours. So if you're skipping silly trophies but still would want to 100% the contents then it should take about 60 hours. My mate is 120 hours in but he has played it rather relaxed. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    I don't really look at hours meters in any game.  I sometimes open windows and study things for a long time with my feet up on that table.  In this case since dialog is completely optional I may or may not care about a plot depending on my mood at the time. 

Their was once a topic here about getting sick of games, 
    The guy asked if anyone abruptly gets sick of a game.  In other words, one day your just having fun then out of no where you get sick of it... The feeling just hits you like a ton of bricks.  I thought I was alone in this.  Come to find out it happened to the OP and many others agreed.

It's not even the games fault... The feeling just hits !!!

I love ELEX, I would guess I've played it longer than each of the thee times I played Skyrim, and the two times I've played The Witcher 3.  Fallout 4 however captivating, I could get sick of it real fast for some reason I can't explain.  It never grabbed me.

My header was "best rpg ever".... honestly its about equal to Skyrim and the Witcher 3 BUT for different reasons that can't be put into words.

THANK GOD FOR ALL 3 !!

The feeling of fun often depends on my mood.  Adding Vanilla World of Warcraft to the list.  At times I'll get sucked in deeply for weeks or months... then out of no place I can't stand it.  I'll actually hate it.

As years go by with playing computer games, my temperament is getting shorter in general. 
    ConstantineMerus
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    When I found out you could turn stamina off in the difficulty settings that's just what I did.  The game is fun and I guess I'll be that guy, I actually like this combat better then the combat in Witcher.  Witcher combat isn't bad it just feels like it was made for a gamepad.  Still looking forward to playing the other factions.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ArchidArchid Member UncommonPosts: 210
    I agree on some level. Elex is great, not masterpiece but really, really good. And i first did hate the combat.. until i learned it! :D I have over 60 hours in and i havent finished it yet... over lvl 30. But im kinda stuck in one quest, since i cant seem to kill one monster that i need to advance in the main quest line... so there's that :\

the best way to kill a troll is to FLAME ON! ...or with acid...

Archid said:
    I agree on some level. Elex is great, not masterpiece but really, really good. And i first did hate the combat.. until i learned it! :D I have over 60 hours in and i havent finished it yet... over lvl 30. But im kinda stuck in one quest, since i cant seem to kill one monster that i need to advance in the main quest line... so there's that :\
    Which monster?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ArchidArchid Member UncommonPosts: 210
    edited January 2019
    Iselin said:
    Archid said:
    Which monster?
    Umm, it was somekind of quest for Nasty i think, havent touch it for awhile... Oh right a troll named El Colosaro :D

the best way to kill a troll is to FLAME ON! ...or with acid...

Archid said:
    Iselin said:
    Archid said:
    Which monster?
    Umm, it was somekind of quest for Nasty i think, havent touch it for awhile... Oh right a troll named El Colosaro :D
    Ah yes that one. Depending on when you go to the Outlaw fort you can be pretty low level for that quest. The first one with Nasty is easy enough but that one can be tough. You should be fine now that you're 30+ if you have good ranged damage.

And you're right that's keeping you from the follow-up quest which is a big deal in the main plot line.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Is 60% off at Steam

Iselin said:
    Archid said:
    Iselin said:
    Archid said:
    Which monster?
    Ah yes that one. Depending on when you go to the Outlaw fort you can be pretty low level for that quest. The first one with Nasty is easy enough but that one can be tough. You should be fine now that you're 30+ if you have good ranged damage.

And you're right that's keeping you from the follow-up quest which is a big deal in the main plot line.
    Even The Big Bang quest for chapter one I got very early.  It was impossible at low levels, it helps  with ranged weapons to kill the robot easer too.  I waited until I got my ranged higher, but ended up taking him out mostly with grenades and a heck of a lot of running.  Also figured out his pattern. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Most people are use to getting missions that are close to their level in games.  This game will give you missions that are way over your level.  The only thing to do is lower level missions and come back to the harder ones later. 

ESO used to do this and I was forced to review my skills and rotations and update them with better alternatives.  It was nearly impossible at time but it made me a better player and even then sometimes I had to come back over leveled in order to complete a quest line boss.  People complained so much they watered them down a lot.  It's nice to see this again in a game.
    YashaX

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited January 2019
    If you're a game reviewer you can't play EVERY game so sometimes you have to take what they say with a grain of whatever granulated substance you please. Sometimes a game isn't f#$%ing on the first night and it's probably not a good look when reviewers have a laundry list of other stuff to play (to monetize content).

This was a thoughtful share on the game, and it made me check it out on Youtube at least, so kudos to OP for that. I'm going to do a little more personal research.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Most people are use to getting missions that are close to their level in games.  This game will give you missions that are way over your level.  The only thing to do is lower level missions and come back to the harder ones later. 

ESO used to do this and I was forced to review my skills and rotations and update them with better alternatives.  It was nearly impossible at time but it made me a better player and even then sometimes I had to come back over leveled in order to complete a quest line boss.  People complained so much they watered them down a lot.  It's nice to see this again in a game.
    In ESO some of those were a bit over-tuned at release and they did need some toning down but they went overboard and trivialized them. The fact that Gutsripper, Doshia and a few others were a pain back in those days made those fights memorable. Now they're just content you chew up without giving it much thought.

Octagon7711YashaX

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

I'm level 23 or so, been a bad week at work, so I had a slow period.  

I feel this is IMPORTANT:
    I'm now in Chapter 2.  I'm not sure what kicked me into it.  I think completing "The Big Bang quest" in the main story line.  Beforehand it felt like I was running out of quest.  Now I'm over run with them again. 

The game seems to ramp up in difficulty above my character building.  I have to say Companions and fighting from roof tops and using grenades is a life saver.  Many of the quest I find are taking me to the snowy part to the north (new unexplored region).  This area consist of more bad guy Albs and robots.....It now feels like I was in a tutorial area all along.  Not only fighting more difficult enemies, I have to deal with cold exposure elements... it really ramped up !  

Now heres the IMPORTANT PART... Character building. 
    Point allocation for both attributes and skill points come slow. 
    Only 10 attribute's and 1 skill point per level.  This would NEVER be enough unless your really good. 

Under crafting, many recommend chemistry. 
    It's vital to spend this one point... why ?....Because you need to craft
    - "elex drinks" to gain 2 attribute points per drink.
    - "Strong elex drinks" to gain 1 skill point per drink.

Here you can Character build for both Weapon equip and Skills needed.  You'll finally able to use much better weapons that were all carrying in our inventory :)

As an added bonus,
    You'll be able to purchase enjoyable non-combat skills such as pick pocket and such. 

The complexities and mechanics of Elex, blows Skyrim out of the water  >:)