Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The PC Version of The Division 2 Will be Bypassing Steam - MMORPG.com

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2019
    Steam...SUPPORT....
    A sorry we cannot support other developers games
    B Sorry we cannot support other developers games
    C see above
    D see above
    No matter what issue you have it is see above.They do not offer ANY support,it is always the developers problem not Steams,they only sell the products.
    This business practice if adhered to by all businesses would be utter chaos in the world.Imagine you buy a TV from Best Buy,they say to you,sorry go see the manufacturer which is what they do UNLESS you are willing to pay EXTRA lol.
    At least most places will offer you a new item or remedy the problem,they won't simply say go see the manufacturer.At least imo,if you are profiting selling products,you had better darn well support those products or gtfo of the business.

A similar analogy would be you to go your local Chrysler dealer buy a car,it fails after 2 days,they don't tell you to go  see the Chrysler plant lol.
    RemyVorenderGdemamiCaffynated

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319

Never used Origin but have not had the issue with Epics loader re-enabling itself like that so may be a bug they need to address.  Only issue I have had with Epic is I was not overly thrilled it automatically installs Fortnite which I promptly uninstalled but still thought that was kind of shitty.

I won't use any thing that automatically installs programs on my computer without asking first. Even if you can uninstall it, that's no guarantee it's going to suck
    up your bandwidth by reinstalling it later.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Real truth..

These OTHER options are taking less of the profits than Steam/Valve,so makes a hell of a lot of sense.
    maybe given enough time we can see Steam crippled and begin to see some real competition changes that favors gamer's.
    So far the EXPECTED lower prices have not been seen,i see these changes as simply meaning the developer retains a higher profit margin but we the gamer's see no changes.
    jimmywolf

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    Going through Epic gives UBI more money. Fine and good. But, does that mean that the game itself will be sold at a cheaper price as well? All the benefits go to UBI but none to the players. I don't care either way as I do not plan to purchase Division 2. It was just a thought.
    Gdemami

Let's party like it is 1863!

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Lokero said:
    This is an MMO site.  Every MMO has its own launcher/patcher service.  I do think it's rather peculiar to see people on this site complaining about launchers.
    Everyone here should be used to a million launchers, by now.
    Only issue I have had with Epic is I was not overly thrilled it automatically installs Fortnite which I promptly uninstalled but still thought that was kind of shitty.

I downloaded a clean version of Epic's launcher last month, and can definitely confirm that it does not automatically install Fortnite.

I wonder, if perhaps, you were on the Fortnite website and picked it up from there.  Perhaps if you download directly from the Fortnite site, it auto-installs Fortnite.  That's definitely possible, and would make sense for it to do that.  The Fortnite site has its own branch off the main site.

I downloaded directly through the Epic Games studio (root) site.
    Good point.  If you're playing more than one MMORPG, chances are you've got multiple launchers installed already.

I don't have a problem with a launcher if I have control of the settings.  If one kept launching on boot despite my cutting it off repeatedly, that would cause me to uninstall it.
    Lokero

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Gruug said:
    Going through Epic gives UBI more money. Fine and good. But, does that mean that the game itself will be sold at a cheaper price as well? All the benefits go to UBI but none to the players. I don't care either way as I do not plan to purchase Division 2. It was just a thought.
    No, in most cases, it probably won't affect consumer pricing, at all.  The benefit to consumers is market competition and more funds going towards developers to keep creating games.

Lower cuts doesn't mean lower prices.  However, it could make for better discounted sales, but PC games are already slashed so low during sales, I don't see how that's likely.
    SBFordTacticalZombeh
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Kynmore said:

Otomox said:

No Steam, no buy just easy as that. They can keep theire crap online Stores for them.

Just curious but if this becomes a trend that developers ignore Steam more and more which is a possibility then will you also ignore all those games?  

It is just a launcher and do not understand the angst over it not being on Steam I guess.  Personally at 30% more developers will want to keep their money now that there is an alternative.  A few big titles decide to not launch on Steam and that is all it will take for others to follow.

Myself, I will probably still stick with Steam, or direct from the publisher. Most, if not all, of these loaders want to keep themselves running in the background, and i've had a few issues with both EA and Epics leaders where, the loader updates, and re-enables itself to start with Windows. No Bueno.

Steam I don't mind as much, because I also use it for non-game applications, and it keeps those up to date. Blizzard's loader has maintained it's no-autostart setting, and until that changes, i don't mind using their loader for Overwatch and Destiny.
    They need to add an option to limit bandwidth.  man. . it chokes everything to dead when you download or update with Epic.  I had to get a 3rd party tool to limit it.  This has been a complaint for a long time.  No streaming to TV. . offline play doesn't always work.  I like the idea but if they don't actually invest in it then it is just another storefront where Steam offers forums etc.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Cyber_wastelandCyber_wasteland Member UncommonPosts: 192
    No steam no buy, Sorry if others can't understand this but I would rather my desktop not look like a disaster zone, and my HDD asking me why I hate it because everyone one and there mothers want to make there own freaking launcher.
    I'm not downloading 10+ launchers just to play one or two games
    I'm not storing my cred info in 10+ launchers,
    I'm not using 10+ launchers.
    This may not be an issue for some, it is an issue for me and I know there are others that agree with me.
    BlueThunderBearTrolldefender99GdemamiDhamon99k61977CaffynatedPanserbjorne39infomatz

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    No steam no buy, Sorry if others can't understand this but I would rather my desktop not look like a disaster zone, and my HDD asking me why I hate it because everyone one and there mothers want to make there own freaking launcher.
    I'm not downloading 10+ launchers just to play one or two games
    I'm not storing my cred info in 10+ launchers,
    I'm not using 10+ launchers.
    This may not be an issue for some, it is an issue for me and I know there are others that agree with me.
    As we move into 2019, dumping the HDD will become damn near a necessity.
    Cyber_wasteland

• BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228
    edited January 2019
    Glad to see the Division 2 moving forward with that mechanic that allows you to shoot yourself in the foot.
    Caffynated
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    If only there was a single global digital game distributor on PC attached to the OS, just like consoles do...

Too bad W10 store is not the answer.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Why do we care about Steam's cut? Either way we're just putting more money into someone's pocket. A pocket that is already full of money.

Nothing is getting cheaper for us on these other launchers so the best option, for us, is to have it available on whatever platform/launcher we want. 

Out of all the platforms/launchers out there, Steam is the one that makes PC gaming cheaper for US more often. 
    donpadrexGdemamijimmywolfDhamon99BlueThunderBearCaffynatedPanserbjorne39infomatzCyber_wasteland
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • KratukKratuk Member UncommonPosts: 13
    edited January 2019

SBFord said:

That's pretty significant. Good for Ubi, though I've already preordered though UPlay. :)

Not like it matters from a buyer standpoint. Will still have to install that wretched Uplay app on top of Epic.
    [Deleted User]
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    It took me a long time to make the jump from physical copies to digital downloads, but now I just don’t care. The launchers can be installed and deleted sometimes easier than the game itself. I don’t like having a ton of launchers, but it will likely get worse before it gets better. And I would not bypass a game simply because of the launcher, even though I am not a fan of several.
    SBFordTacticalZombeh

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I'm going to be skipping this game altogether. Despite the wide variety of neck tattoos I'm sure it wail have, I'm not that interested in playing a homeless person trying to survive in a dirty wrecked urban environment. I may end up getting enough chance for that in RL XD.

If they change the gameplay to work better with differing character levels and have boss encounters that are more than HP mountains that require thousands of bullets to down I might give it a look.
    Panserbjorne39
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Is the Epic Games store a "launcher" too or just a website to purchase games? If so I don't mind buying and having the game client that way. I'm not doing another game purchasing interface on my PC.

Too many frickin technological islands are getting built. Well may the best island win, I'm not mothing myself around this time.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Is the Epic Games store a "launcher" too or just a website to purchase games? If so I don't mind buying and having the game client that way. I'm not doing another game purchasing interface on my PC.

Too many frickin technological islands are getting built. Well may the best island win, I'm not mothing myself around this time.
    It's a launcher. There is a way to play games offline but you have to create and edit game shortcuts. There is no proper offline like Steam has (last I checked).

Basically, it works like Steam but a little more hassle to play offline.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

It started as a launcher and expanded as a store. You need to hit play on the epic launcher to play games downloaded from there.
    gervaise1

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    I bought several Ubi games via Steam -- usually Assassin's Creed but also the first Division. In EVERY case, it also installed Ubiplay and so it's on my PC. Last time I bought an Ubi game it was Ghost Recon: Wildlands (totally awesome game) and I had researched enough that I was willing to pay Ubi the price directly rather than give Steam 30%. With the issues from the original Div, I'm not in a hurry to purchase Div 2 until I read some reviews from trusted sources. Launch state wasn't so hot for #1 and Ubi is usually sort of weak with newly launched multiplayer games. But I'm most likely not in a rush until/unless my old gaming pals decide they *must* all play at launch.
    d_20
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Gruug said:
    If they had gone with Steam they would have factored Steam's % into the price and charged more. As said above though the benefit is developers get more, which funds more games, so more choice and competition.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2019
    Why do we care about Steam's cut? Either way we're just putting more money into someone's pocket. A pocket that is already full of money.

Nothing is getting cheaper for us on these other launchers so the best option, for us, is to have it available on whatever platform/launcher we want. 

Out of all the platforms/launchers out there, Steam is the one that makes PC gaming cheaper for US more often. 
    As I said above they may have charged more if they had released on Steam (as well).

Developers will run some numbers: if we charge $X we might sell N; charge more probably sell less;  charge less probably sell more. And come up with a price they hope will cover their costs, have enough money to make another game and even make a profit. 

Whether they get there numbers right - who knows. One thing is for sure though: the numbers will look a lot better without a 30% charge. Hence it may well be "cheaper" than it might otherwise have been.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Competition always benefits the consumer. Exclusivity sucks with Consoles. It will suck with PC, as well. Hope Steam wakes the eff up.
    SBFord

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    edited January 2019
    I don't f give a shit about steams percentage and their relationship to indie devs, aaa devs, or Dev down at the Indian market on the corner. Not my concern. I am concerned about steam and me, and well, almost all my games are bought through steam because they run mega good sales regularly and if I don't like it or have buyers remorse, easy instant refund. I don't have any special affinity for steam other than they currently suit my needs as a cheap gamer who never pays retail for anything.
    I tried using GoG galaxy for about an hour. Bought a game. Game wouldn't run. Tried to get a refund. Serj told me no refund unless I jump through half a dozen bullshit hoops. Told Serj to pound sand and uninstalled and will never deal with GOG again other than torrenting their DRM free games that is. With all that said, Division 2 won't be on steam so I won't be buying it in a year or two when it's on a 40% off sale. Oh well. I'm sure there will be something else to play.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Pretty sure this has absolutely nothing to do with Steams refund policy, nope, nothing at all. 

The Division 2 is going to be rubbish isn't it, Ubisoft is going full on Bethesda  :o
    XasapisCaffynated