Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions regarding upgrading my older PC

2»

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited January 2019
    Asm0deus said:
    Vrika said:
    Asm0deus said:
    I have different approach to HDD/SSD's.   I find it more efficient to get a smaller SSD just for the OS like a 120 or 250 gb one.  Then have a secondary SSD/HDD for games other programs movies etc.

Makes it so much easier when it comes to reformating etc.   I have 3 PC's here at home one has a 120gb SSD, the other two have 250gb SSD just for the OS. Then you just get w/e you need for storage etc.
    Imho if you need to reformat the PC that often then you're doing something wrong.

Getting a SSD for practically only OS was good idea a couple of years ago because of SSD price, but today they are so cheap that it's worth purchasing big enough SSD for your games too and add an HDD only if you need really lot storage.
    Nah I don't that often but if you don't reformat once every couple years then you are doing something wrong and it's still a good idea to keep games, torrents and all that extra junk on secondary drives.
    An SSD loads games and programs about twice as fast as HDD.

That means if you spend only a minute each day loading games and programs from HDD, you'll lose 30 seconds a day.

Assuming that you format every two years, you've spent more than 6 hours extra sitting in front of your PC watching those loading screens just so that you could make reformatting faster.
    Post edited by Vrika on
    Gdemami

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Vrika said:
    That means if you spend only a minute each day loading games and programs from HDD, you'll lose 30 seconds a day.
    ...30s, such a horror.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited January 2019
    Vrika said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Vrika said:
    Asm0deus said:
    I have different approach to HDD/SSD's.   I find it more efficient to get a smaller SSD just for the OS like a 120 or 250 gb one.  Then have a secondary SSD/HDD for games other programs movies etc.

Makes it so much easier when it comes to reformating etc.   I have 3 PC's here at home one has a 120gb SSD, the other two have 250gb SSD just for the OS. Then you just get w/e you need for storage etc.
    Imho if you need to reformat the PC that often then you're doing something wrong.

Getting a SSD for practically only OS was good idea a couple of years ago because of SSD price, but today they are so cheap that it's worth purchasing big enough SSD for your games too and add an HDD only if you need really lot storage.
    Nah I don't that often but if you don't reformat once every couple years then you are doing something wrong and it's still a good idea to keep games, torrents and all that extra junk on secondary drives.
    An SSD loads games and programs about twice as fast as HDD.

Assuming that you format every two years, you've spent more than 7 hours extra sitting in front of your PC watching those loading screens just so that you could make reformatting faster.
    Sure take a daft example...

....say rather you have an SSD for your OS, one SSD for games, cause lets face it games with 50+ GB is fairly common now and an HDD for music and movies/videos etc. 

There's no need to put music, movies or videos on an SSD as the extra speed does squat for you performance wise as for game I agree many games do benefit from an SSD but some not so much.

Personally I don't see the need to juggle stuff around with one SSD then need NAS for back ups when you can avoid that simply by having a few drives suited to each need.

Gdemami

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863
    Quizzical said:
    oakthornn said:
    Again, thank you for the tips, Quizzical. 
    I'll use the 750 W PSU, get two 8 gig memory sticks, and stick with Windows 10. 
    Also, in regards to the HD, I wanted to do a SSD and HDD combo. 

Once again, much appreciated!

Buying both an SSD and a hard drive is completely reasonable if you need a lot of capacity.  But if 1 TB is enough, then a 1 TB SSD would cost about the same as a 500 GB SSD plus a 1 TB hard drive, so there's little point in getting the hard drive.  If you want 4 TB of capacity, then getting a 500 GB SSD plus a 4 TB hard drive makes a ton of sense.

Just make sure that you don't get one of those stupid "hybrid" drives that pretends to be kind of like an SSD because of caching instead of a real SSD.  A hard drive plus several GB of NAND cache is not at all similar to a real SSD.  The acronym that they use for the "hybrid" drives is commonly SSHD, and that's not what you want.

The reason I want both is bc I still have discs. I understand SSD's are faster and more convenient today, but I'd personally like to have both. 

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited January 2019
    I think bigger drives versus multiple drives is more a matter of preference than anything.

And budget.

I use SSD only in my laptops for work and have for years - my current laptop is a 500G SSD, but prior to that I had a 120G for a long time. It does get tight, but external storage helps a lot. There aren't a lot of big files here - Virtual Machines that i need occasionally are the bulk of it, apart from that it's just a lot of documents/spreadsheets. External media is nice here, as I can keep it mobile with the laptop. I have a Thunderbolt external 4T enclosure I keep handy, as well as various large thumbdrives.

In my PC's, I've used SSD+HDD for just as long. I shuffle games back and forth, but I leave the OS and common programs on the SSD. SteamMover makes shuffling games painless, as I tend to focus on only a game or two for a few weeks/months before migrating to the next game. Currently I have a 500G there as well, but the core files that always stay on the PC would probably still fit on a 120G drive. My "games" drive though is starting to crowd a 4T drive... as once I buy/try/download a game I leave them installed (slow internet, takes me forever to D/L something, so once I do I keep it). The PC sits in one spot, so I don't really need external media, I can just use my NAS.

I hold all my media and backups on my NAS at home (which I just upgraded to 4x4T), so my PC is pretty much just gaming, and my laptop is just work.

The difference between HDD and SSD, in everyday use.... it's a lot more than 2x the speed. SSDs are the single biggest and most exciting thing to happen to computers in the past 15 years. I would much rather use a "slow" processor/GPU with an SSD, than a "fast" processor/GPU with a HDD for day to day use. 30 seconds doesn't sound like a big deal... It's the difference between going LA->NY via Greyhound or Airline. Hey, both will get you there, it's just time, right?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    An SSD might save you half a second here, a tenth of a second there, and occasionally two entire seconds all at once.  Over the course of an entire day, it might save you all of a minute.  You might think that it's only a minute, but it's not just any minute.  It just saved you from the most aggravating minute of your entire day, which would have otherwise been parceled out into a bunch of tiny chunks to constantly poke at you.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
    After reading these comments, I've decided to go with a 1 TB SSD strictly for games, and 1 TB HDD for media and maybe non MMO games If I play any. 

I mainly plan on playing a few MMORPG's on the computer, so I won't need a huge SSD. But, I still have games on discs for other ppl to play. As for the HDD, I think it's important to have more than 1 drive these days. Having everything on one drive like it was back in the day isn't very smart nowadays. If I ever need to do a swap, I could transfer the games to the HDD. 

I was thinking of going with a WD Blue 1 TB SSD, and a 1 TB WD Blue HDD.. I prob could go with a 500 gog SSD, but I should just go with a 1 TB to be safe.. 

Rallithon Oakthornn

This is what I bought so far today. Motherboard: $180 total including tax, Processor: $234.56 total inc tax and Graphics Card: $234.56 in that order.
    This is more than I wanted to spend, but since I'm using my old tower and 750 W unused PSU, I decided to spend a little more on the MOBO and Processor.

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16813119100

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16819113497

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16814150794

Next comes the SSD and HDD, RAM, and Cooling fans, which should be around #300 dollars. Total spent will probably be around $950 

Rallithon Oakthornn

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    If your going to go spinner - no point in paying $80 for a 1TB when you can get a 4TB for $100.
    QuizzicalAsm0deusOzmodan