Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlas: Barefoot, Naked & Underwhelmed - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageAtlas: Barefoot, Naked & Underwhelmed - MMORPG.com

Seemingly out of nowhere in the 11th hour of 2018 the creators of Ark - that game you either love or hate - dropped a bomb on the MMO world in the form of ATLAS. An MMO in the truest sense of the word boasting up to 40,000 simultaneous players on a single server and not to mention pirate themed. The instant hype was real and players were queueing up for a Sean Murphy level let down by the thousands.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Trolldefender99

Comments

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Get Naval Action if you want your pirate era game.
    LahuzerThupliMadFrenchieOzmodan
  • blix2006blix2006 Member UncommonPosts: 414

Maurgrim said:

Get Naval Action if you want your pirate era game.

man i havent logged into this in over a year i might have to give it another go today
  • berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    edited January 2019
    Does this game have hanging penis? If not. The naked is not accurate. It's a requirement for survival games.

Beta tester maniac

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    berlight said:
    Does this game have hanging penis?
    I don't know, but it's an online game, so either way, there will be plenty of dicks on the server.
    SBFordBillMurphyScotblastermasterGrintchThupliYukmarconelesslightAlmostLancelotConstantineMerusand 22 others.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    A good summation of concerns, it is extraordinarily easy to find out what Is good about a game, far less so to find what you have to think over before you jump overboard and buy.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I think this pretty much encapsulates the issue most have had. The dev team that released paid DLC before finishing the base game are at it again, essentially.
    ThupliThaharAlmostLancelotScotOzmodan

• Jim_EraJim_Era Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Bashing the queen of pop is never a good way to start anything.

Its never too late to reevaluate your life choices.
    PalebanealkarionlogSadfistTrolldefender99Kyleran
  • AlmostLancelotAlmostLancelot Member UncommonPosts: 135
    edited January 2019
    Much more transparent and forthcoming than the previous article on ATLAS (different author).

A good read.
    SadfistBlueThunderBearOzmodanKyleran
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Aeander said:
    berlight said:
    I don't know, but it's an online game, so either way, there will be plenty of dicks on the server.
    Lol thanks for this. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    I never preorder or get super hyped about games anymore. I don’t trust the marketing. I’ll wait for user reviews, FOMO be damned.
    SadfistWargfootYVTacticalZombehCazriel

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• HivesHives Member UncommonPosts: 203
    At least Sean Murphy redeemed himself.... This will be another Ark money grab but if you didn't learn from Ark then i can't help you with common sense.
    Sadfist
  • KARMARIUSKARMARIUS Member UncommonPosts: 24

Jim_Era said:

Bashing the queen of pop is never a good way to start anything.

Its never too late to reevaluate your life choices.

queen of pop ?? Madonna... your knowledge of pop culture is non existant xDDD
    SadfistSamhaelBlueThunderBearTrolldefender99
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    The game is still somewhat intriguing to me, but im patient, and will wait for it to improve and go on sale.

I think it will be successful with time, just like ark, albeit still buggy.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • PARTIESPLAYINPARTIESPLAYIN Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I play and have little to no issue with performance. I have a 5820k Intel processor at 4ghz and 2 gtx 1080ti's with 32gb of ddr4 ram on a Seagate sshd. I play the game at 4k with shadows on low or off depending sky quality low and texture resolution at 90 percent I get between 40 and 65 fps pretty consistently with occasional drops . But I expect this to improve over time. But I have a friend with similar system in the EU whonis unable to play the game at all and just gets timeouts even on the EU servers. So obviously there are some issues with the game if people with similar systems are have issues.
    Kyleran
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    To prove how inept and how rushed this was,the developer has not enabled Steam cloud sync.
    So your main and only delivery is through Steam but you don't setup cloud..sigh.

Tons and tons of bugs ,like endless,there is imo absolutely NO WAY they will ever clear out all the bugs ..EVER.This is EXACTLY like ARK which also released in the exact same state,so after idk,how old is ARK 4-5 years,they do not know what they are doing and will never get it right,reminds me of SOE.

Now their recent update is a nice one on paper,you can get a free SLOOP ship instead of the boring raft and some stat changes that were needed also happened,like points and stuff.

There are really not that many players on official servers already,meaning MANY people must have already quit or moved to unofficial servers but those are hit n miss and not all that many players here either.If i had to venture a guess i would say about 200-300 online NA PVE at one time,not very many at all.

The private servers COULD be really good but of course Studio Wildcard doesn't even want you to know how to setup your own private server and settings seem to be a nightmare because 99% of private servers although better than official settings are still setup badly.

So bottom line for this game?If a REAL professional developer was running this and was true to quality updates,we would see a really nice game.The problem is idk if even Epic games staff could iron out all the bugs that now reside in the game.AS is with Studio Wildcard running it a 3/10,if Epic games or even Blizzard or Rockstar or Square Enix ran it could be a 8+/10.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The other problem and this is just ongoing from all the other dumbass devs is >>PVP.

So you are FORCED to leave the safety of noob freeport zone by level 8 to advance any further.Problem is some players rush around and already level 50+,full armor,best weapons,pets they can easily wipe you before you get anything started IF you found some land.
    The claim system favors POWER,there is no other way to describe it,get yoru land,they can move in and force claim it off you unless you want to fight as a level 8-10 versus several level 50 players.yeah good luck.

I feel that is why sooo many moved to private servers,you can create better settings to get right into the action and not be held back by official settings.Some private servers allow you to level up so fast,you can be level 50 in a day or two and have loads of points to unlock tons of stuff.

problem there is unless a friends private server most are run by businesses just advertising the servers so those only have 1 grid but as i said are FAST,so you can at least get into doing something quickly and see what the entire game offers.

Studio Wildcard deserves a HUGE failure as a business,they do shitty work,are not in touch with reality/gamer's,and are grossly deceptive in their marketing.
    Trolldefender99

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CanPantherCanPanther Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited January 2019

Wizardry said:

Studio Wildcard deserves a HUGE failure as a business,they do shitty work,are not in touch with reality/gamer's,and are grossly deceptive in their marketing.

This is not just Studio Wildcard but a culture encouraged by Snail Games across multiple 'studios'. They have taken one game, Ark: Survival Evolved, and used it as base code in several 'ports': Ark, PixArk, ArkPark, Dark & Light, Fear The Night...and now Atlas. And each time with exactly the same result: very buggy EA releases. STOP SUPPORTING SNAIL GAMES and the crap they keep releasing.
    SamhaelTacticalZombehKyleran
    You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
    You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
    I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose Freewill

- Rush, Freewill (Album: Permanent Waves)
  • PARTIESPLAYINPARTIESPLAYIN Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited January 2019
    There have been at least 12 major game studios who have went out of business in the last 15 months most of which were all pc game oriented. If we stop supporting pc game studios there won't be much left to choose from, unless you want to play mobile games . They can pump that garbage out by the shit ton. So I think it's best if we as pc gamers express/discuss our dissatisfaction with games we are getting in a mature way or were gonna bankrupt most all major pc game studios we have left and be forced to play console or mobile games. Which would such because I'm a pc gamer through and through.

I wish there were an easier solution to issues we have with today's gaming market I know I don't have the answers only suggestions. I'm sure there is more then 200 people on the pve servers https://steamcharts.com/app/834910
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543
    For all of it's problems Atlas is a streamers heaven. There is plenty of roleplay available and being able to man a ship with your subs is a great way to keep them loyal.

I haven't touched the game myself, but I have watched hours of guys cruising around laggy waters in search of battle and treasure. I hope the game continues to improve, and maybe I will actually give it a try.
    Kyleran
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    I was trying to get into this, I really was. I was talking to a friend and got this fantastic starter tip.. just hit stuff and die till level 8.. I was like what? So I tried it.. I was lvling like crazy by just punching something and proceeding to die over and over.. Think there might be a flaw with something there.
    Lokero[Deleted User]Trolldefender99Kyleran
  • Tirent000Tirent000 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    edited January 2019
    Robert Baddeley just come to public servers we have a HUGE 5x5 25 server cluster 2500 max atm looking to expand to 7x7 soon, its better that official, plugins mods. Its just all around better performance too. https://atlassaltofthesea.wordpress.com/ check it out steam://connect/147.135.15.165:58255
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    There have been at least 12 major game studios who have went out of business in the last 15 months most of which were all pc game oriented. If we stop supporting pc game studios there won't be much left to choose from, unless you want to play mobile games . They can pump that garbage out by the shit ton. So I think it's best if we as pc gamers express/discuss our dissatisfaction with games we are getting in a mature way or were gonna bankrupt most all major pc game studios we have left and be forced to play console or mobile games. Which would such because I'm a pc gamer through and through.

I wish there were an easier solution to issues we have with today's gaming market I know I don't have the answers only suggestions. I'm sure there is more then 200 people on the pve servers https://steamcharts.com/app/834910
    If this is all the PC market has to offer, should there be a market? The answer is no but there are other studios working other titles that look far better in terms of quality. The idea isn't to support markets of personal interest, but support good products within those markets of interest. That will support a valid market in a healthy way.

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    LOL yep give us your money and we will probably fix it eventually - but if we get most buyers now and it drops off we will just fob the product off too, after all we got your money so no point fixing it is there. We will just roll onto the next project (which seems to be the norm thesedays), but as soon as someone says ok then i will fly the black flag skull&x-bones and get your shitty shoddy games for free, thats not on, cry bloody murder and try to prosecute, yet its ok for companies to release games under early access and then fob it off and the buyer.... backers who put their faith in you guys.

Yes i have had several EA titles go tits up, even titles that release and are then shutdown within 6mths... Dont they think that piss's off the buyers, because you bet your ass it does, yet we have no protection to that. Now i have not black flagged and got games for free yet but if this attitude on scamming backers/buyers continues then i would expect (aww hell lets just say it) piracy to hit an all time high. Since companies are blatently giving teh people the fingers, its inevitable that they will eventually do the same back.

Especially with release's for big titles (Atlas, Fallout76) that have just released and you can pick up FO76 for what £12 it was 50% off 2 weeks after it released and 1 week later went to 60% 2 weeks after 70%. Wish i had waited £12 is about all FO76 is worth NOT £49.

At least this time i had teh chance to REFUND Atlas, which i did. I did that on the monday after friday,saturday,sunday and a part of monday was just abysmally unplayable and extreamly laggy. Will check back on the game in about 3mths but by got i will be looking for the cheapest price to buy it, whether thats from G2A, Kinguin,HRK or any other sites like that. Cheapest place all the better, but only if the game improves by 500%, not being left with another shitty game, like i am with FO76.

So 2 Massive and BIG companies dropped in my books this year, the first was Blizzard, what where they thinking and 2nd was Bethesda, 2 companies i held in high esteem and had virtually every game those 2 companies released. As for Atlas, it is an Indie company, not as esteemed as the other 2, Known for postponements and all, but they have built Atlas up for a massive dissapointment. 40k players on a server, means 150 maximum (thats what 50 more than an ark server), as i think there are 100 player servers there now.

ok my rant is over (for now)
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited January 2019

Aeander said:

berlight said:

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Not to be one of those guys but 'we told you so'.

How anyone can be surprised is beyond me.

When they missed the first two release dates I didnt think they would release until after the new year. But even if they had waited it would still be a mess since we're 10 days into that and almost 3 weeks into the game and its still unplayable in any zone with more than 50 people.

But when the first thing they claim is a lie (40K people on the same server) then its business as usual with them. Even the cap of 150 isnt close to being doable.

It does have some 'cool' things but really once you do those cool things once or twice then theyre not cool and just a grind.

You cant have an 'MMO" without progression and this game has almost none. Even on the official servers now with all the changes progression is more than twice as fast as it used to be.

If you played 2-3 hours a day 2 or 3 times a week sure you might make it last but the nature of games like this thats impossible. Even if youre in a group theyre likely to kick you if youre not more active. Then ironically while youre still logging in playing the game weeks later they have long quit.