Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel's Stan Lee Memorialized in World of Warcraft

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageMarvel's Stan Lee Memorialized in World of Warcraft

Now that the v8.1.5 patch has been deployed to the World of Warcraft public test realm, players are busy ferreting out new information about upcoming content. In one of the more touching pieces discovered, players have found a new guard in the human Alliance city of Stormwind simply named "Stanley". A quick look at him shows that it is clearly Marvel's Stan Lee. Two other character models have also been datamined, one wearing a Horde tabard and one without any faction markings.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

MadFrenchie[Deleted User]Truvidien88ConstantineMerus

Comments

• calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Say what you want about Blizzard's direction with their games but it is nice to see they still have no problem immortalizing someone who was a heavy part of the entertainment industry like this.
    SBFordScottJeslisTuor7kitaradOctagon7711TyranusPrimeNoxias[Deleted User]Truvidien88Aeliousand 6 others.

• SupaMutantSupaMutant Member UncommonPosts: 136

calibek said:

Say what you want about Activision's direction with their games but it is nice to see they still have no problem immortalizing someone who was a heavy part of the entertainment industry like this.

You're welcome.
    5|_|©|< /\/\¥ |)!©|< /\/\!|<3|3
  • ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    <== I appreciate this as someone who grew up with Stan and reading Marvel Comics, which in part, I believe helped me become the person I am. I still remember when he wrote the editor's notes in the Marvel titles back then.<br />
    My daughter and her husband met Stan at a comic con photo-op here years ago. They told Stan their first son is named after Spider-man (named him "Parker"). They of course were ushered through the photo-op quickly. Stan saw them leaving the area later on and he yelled at them "And tell Parker I said Hi".
    Tuor7KalebGraysonOctagon7711TyranusPrime[Deleted User]RenndDarkpigeonJilynaTacticalZombehShaihubyand 3 others.
  • Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982
    Classy move, Blizzard. Well done.
    Octagon7711sythrael
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    This is something they have always been good at doing.  There are many hidden easter eggs or tributes to people all throughout the game. 
    Tuor7
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    Why it's say "Stanley" not "Stan Lee"?
  • azonic69azonic69 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Why are people overlooking how shitty of a person Stan Lee was?
    [Deleted User]BlueThunderBearWhiteLanternBeezerbeeznk362yPhaedruslivesConstantineMerusceh430mmolouJilynaand 2 others.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I hope the movies continue with cameos of him. Perhaps walking by a poster with him shown or someone sitting next to a person reading a magazine with Stan on the cover.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    i thought it was kind of sweet when they did it with Robin Williams(he was a fan as far as i know)
    this seems a little iffy though.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Very cool. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    That's pretty awesome.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

i thought it was kind of sweet when they did it with Robin Williams(he was a fan as far as i know)

i am pretty sure there are huge marvel fans within blizzard, and i am also sure they wanted to pay tribute to someone who might have had a big impact on their life.
    Jilynaturinmacleod

This have been a good conversation

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    tawess said:

i am pretty sure there are huge marvel fans within blizzard, and i am also sure they wanted to pay tribute to someone who might have had a big impact on their life.
    no doubt. it just came at the wrong time.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• NathanPenetrationNathanPenetration Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Is that an undead female reskin that they used for him? That’s kinda insulting in a subtle way...
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    In before the "ruining my immersion" crowd. Are they still around?
    Pretty cool move by Blizz.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    awesome. Much respect!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    azonic69, citation please or STFU
  • redcoreredcore Member UncommonPosts: 108

Jamar870 said:

STFU? Heh - he is actually right. To me SL looked like an arrogant asshole and I never liked him!
    I dont think that "Stanley" can be killed...pity
    mmolouturinmacleod
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    redcore said:

Jamar870 said:

STFU? Heh - he is actually right. To me SL looked like an arrogant asshole and I never liked him!
    That you agree with him doesn’t make him right, it could make you both wrong. You can have your opinion of course, and that ‘hehehe let me rain on the parade just because i can’ attitude too. Stan Lee his legacy speaks volumes whether you like him or not.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    kitaradmmolouTacticalZombehShaihubyturinmacleod
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 374
    azonic69 said:
    Why are people overlooking how shitty of a person Stan Lee was?
    Nobody is overlooking anything.  It's called don't speak ill of the dead since they can't be here to defend themselves.  Especially not when it's only been two months and the wound is still fresh to some people.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Stan Lee for the Horde! :)
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Pretty cool to see this. Good move.
    edited January 2019

lahnmir said:

redcore said:

Jamar870 said:

That you agree with him doesn’t make him right, it could make you both wrong. You can have your opinion of course, and that ‘hehehe let me rain on the parade just because i can’ attitude too. Stan Lee his legacy speaks volumes whether you like him or not.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 

He made his money on other artists back and shared very little of the profit with them, a lot of the characters that you think he created, were the work of other people, that you don't want to google for that information is not my problem.
    Kyleran

lahnmir said:

redcore said:

Jamar870 said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 

Here is part of why he was shitty.

This allowed for huge creative freedom and sped up the production process considerably – a real benefit for a small company with big ambitions. But the artists’ work was not always fully recognised. They were being credited purely for the art when they were often creating the characters and story, too – before Lee layered the dialogue and captions on top.

Lee compounded this recognition problem in interviews and in books like Origins of Marvel Comics (1974), where he talked enthusiastically about how he had created all the stories and characters. The artists knew different. Frustrated by creative differences, Ditko left in 1965 and Kirby went five years later.
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    edited January 2019
    Is being immortalized in a dying game with no direction really being immortalized at all?

Games have expiry dates. And while WoW is still chugging along I think we can all agree its far past its best before date and is aging like a bad cheese.

Pretty sure Stan Lee did a pretty good job at immortalizing himself with ink and paper. Nice try Blizzard.