Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The PC Version of The Division 2 Will be Bypassing Steam - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe PC Version of The Division 2 Will be Bypassing Steam - MMORPG.com

The PC version of Tom Clancy's The Division 2 will be bypassing a Steam launch. Instead, PC players will be able to purchase digital copies of the game either through Uplay, Ubisoft's own game launcher, or via the Epic Games Store. According to Ubisoft representatives, "We have no plans currently on releasing Tom Clancy's The Division 2 on Steam." Oddly enough, a Steam product page was available up to recently on Steam, though it is now removed.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited January 2019
    That's pretty significant. Good for Ubi, though I've already preordered though UPlay. :)
    ConstantineMerusElvocgastovski1NordicApache

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited January 2019
    SBFord said:
    That's pretty significant. Good for Ubi, though I've already preordered though UPlay. :)
    Pre-ordered as well through PSN though. I'm kinda excited! :grimace:
    SBFordinfomatz
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    I can definitely see why they wouldn't go through Steam with that 30% haircut, but I absolutely hate uPlay. Guess if the game is good enough I'll make the sacrifice of installing that craptastic software.
    SBFordSamhael
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    edited January 2019
    Satisfactory is also not going to be on Steam as originally thought and only on Epic games. I'm wondering if this may be the beginning of the end for Steam.
    InteritusalkarionlogfrA6meGdemamiSamhaeljimmywolfCaffynated
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    When I played the first installment it was pretty obvious that the game could not hold up my interest to a significant amount of time like a normal mmorpg would.

While the second installment can be interesting, I don't consider it pre-order purchase material in any shape or form. 
    [Deleted User]d_20NordicApache
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Tiller said:

Satisfactory is also not going to be on Steam as originally thought and only on Epic games. I'm wondering if this may be the beginning of the end for Steam.

I think they will eventually have to lower their price to be competitive. Definitely curious to see what happens.
    d_20RemyVorender
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Tiller said:
    The future of Steam is entirely in Steam's own hands, honestly. 
    Do they swallow their pride(greed) and cut down their take, or do they watch their empire crumble out of stubborness and terrible decisions?

Don't forget that they also screwed up their algorithms recently and killed off a lot of smaller studios' profitability.

Steam did make a laughably small cut in their 30%(down to 25, iirc?) for big studios, if, and only if, they reached a massive profit threshold.

Really, the big studios will go wherever they want... which won't be Steam as long as the profit cut is as high as it is.  The big boys don't really need Steam to market and publish and reach their audiences.

The smaller, indie developers are between a rock and a hard place, currently.  Steam is edging many of them out.  And, I don't get the impression that it'll be very easy for them to get on Epic, etc.  I'm not familiar with how Discord's service will deal with these, since I have no interest in it.  We'll see how these services handle it, moving forward, I suppose.

I'm wondering if we'll see yet another new service pop up soon that is built solely for those smaller-scale studios.  I mean, there are some easy-access ones like Itch.io, but that doesn't have much pull.
    SabracGdemamiinfomatz
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    While I would love to see steam reduce the rate they take. But I think steam has much larger issues with its store and support in general. Now that you have other companies moving in and providing a better deal to the developer and better store to developer support its going to be tough for devs to want to stay on steam after getting the shaft for so many years and its craptastic dev support.
  • brmilybrmily Member UncommonPosts: 8

steam has much larger issues with its store and support in general.

You think Steam's support is bad, wait until you've tried Epics. It's the worst in the Industry.
    KalafaxNordicApacheexile01Dhamon99infomatz
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I've signed up to play the beta. Will see how that goes.
    d_20

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    It will be bypassing my game library too. More so for unrelated reasons than not being on steam. Didn't like the first one...

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303
    No Steam, no buy just easy as that. They can keep theire crap online Stores for them.
    Trolldefender99SBFord[Deleted User]momintimnecrolockAlverantgastovski1Cyber_wastelandKalafaxThaharand 7 others.
  • summerstringssummerstrings Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I came into Epic Games slightly too late , I would have loved to get Subnautica for free , but they are offering two free games a month , right not is Meat Boy but that's only for one more day , tomorrow it's a new game called "What Remains of Edith Finch"

Dunno about everyone else but 26 free games during 2019 sounds good to me .

I brought Subnautica anyway ( its excellent ) .
    SBFordLokeroKalafaxsgelTacticalZombeh
  • KynmoreKynmore Member UncommonPosts: 66

Otomox said:

No Steam, no buy just easy as that. They can keep theire crap online Stores for them.

Just curious but if this becomes a trend that developers ignore Steam more and more which is a possibility then will you also ignore all those games?  

It is just a launcher and do not understand the angst over it not being on Steam I guess.  Personally at 30% more developers will want to keep their money now that there is an alternative.  A few big titles decide to not launch on Steam and that is all it will take for others to follow.

Myself, I will probably still stick with Steam, or direct from the publisher. Most, if not all, of these loaders want to keep themselves running in the background, and i've had a few issues with both EA and Epics leaders where, the loader updates, and re-enables itself to start with Windows. No Bueno.

Steam I don't mind as much, because I also use it for non-game applications, and it keeps those up to date. Blizzard's loader has maintained it's no-autostart setting, and until that changes, i don't mind using their loader for Overwatch and Destiny.
    d_20NordicApacheDhamon99Caffynated

Brrrflp!

• SupaMutantSupaMutant Member UncommonPosts: 136

Lokero said:

Tiller said:

I'm wondering if we'll see yet another new service pop up soon that is built solely for those smaller-scale studios.  I mean, there are some easy-access ones like Itch.io, but that doesn't have much pull.

There will be a new service for all-scale studios. It will be based in China and they will take 5% cut.
    5|_|©|< /\/\¥ |)!©|< /\/\!|<3|3
    This is an MMO site.  Every MMO has its own launcher/patcher service.  I do think it's rather peculiar to see people on this site complaining about launchers.
    Everyone here should be used to a million launchers, by now.
    Only issue I have had with Epic is I was not overly thrilled it automatically installs Fortnite which I promptly uninstalled but still thought that was kind of shitty.

I downloaded a clean version of Epic's launcher last month, and can definitely confirm that it does not automatically install Fortnite.

I wonder, if perhaps, you were on the Fortnite website and picked it up from there.  Perhaps if you download directly from the Fortnite site, it auto-installs Fortnite.  That's definitely possible, and would make sense for it to do that.  The Fortnite site has its own branch off the main site.

I downloaded directly through the Epic Games studio (root) site.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    brmily said:

steam has much larger issues with its store and support in general.

You think Steam's support is bad, wait until you've tried Epics. It's the worst in the Industry.
    Not from my brief experience. EPIC showed themselves to be real class acts when they offered refunds for all Paragon purchases. I requested a refund for my founder's pack, complemented them in-ticket for their pro-consumer move, and was swiftly met with a courteous reply and refund.
    SBFordgervaise1sgel
    Lokero said:
    This is an MMO site.  Every MMO has its own launcher/patcher service.  I do think it's rather peculiar to see people on this site complaining about launchers.
    Everyone here should be used to a million launchers, by now.
    Only issue I have had with Epic is I was not overly thrilled it automatically installs Fortnite which I promptly uninstalled but still thought that was kind of shitty.

I downloaded a clean version of Epic's launcher last month, and can definitely confirm that it does not automatically install Fortnite.

I wonder, if perhaps, you were on the Fortnite website and picked it up from there.  Perhaps if you download directly from the Fortnite site, it auto-installs Fortnite.  That's definitely possible, and would make sense for it to do that.  The Fortnite site has its own branch off the main site.

I downloaded directly through the Epic Games studio (root) site.
    If I remember correctly I downloaded from the epic site.  Never even played Fortnite on this PC or under the account I signed up as.  Download and went to download Subnautica and Fortnite download just started.  So no clue but I believe other folks had this happen as well and I was not alone in this.  Other than that got no issues.
    Well, they are both technically the same website, which is why I theorized that.  Each of their games has a sub-site on their main site.  The difference is just that the sub-sites have the "/gamename" directive tacked on. 
    I wouldn't be surprised if many links take you straight to the Fortnite site, too, since it's what everyone is looking for these days.
    They all look pretty much identical, just more focused on that specific game. 

Regardless, it was just a theory, I don't know if downloading from the game sites automatically queues those games for download or not.  I would just assume that they do.
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Otomox said:
    Just curious but if this becomes a trend that developers ignore Steam more and more which is a possibility then will you also ignore all those games?  

It is just a launcher and do not understand the angst over it not being on Steam I guess.  Personally at 30% more developers will want to keep their money now that there is an alternative.  A few big titles decide to not launch on Steam and that is all it will take for others to follow.
    I don't mind it at all. I actually dislike steam and the way it downloads and its compression. For me Epics Launcher is WAY faster both in the download and unpacking compared to Steams. I also like Epics non automated setup as far as its content. Steam its so easy to get anything rather its actually a game or not added. You just pay the fee and its auto added. Epic atleast at this time it has to be manually approved by a actual human looking at it.
    SBFord
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Very bad sign. It could be due to generous refund policy on Steam and possible mass refunds - considering horrendous amount of bugs in original The Division after launch.
    AlverantBlueThunderBear

Thank you for your time!

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

3dom said:

Very bad sign. It could be due to generous refund policy on Steam and possible mass refunds - considering horrendous amount of bugs in original The Division after launch.

Refunds are - basically - driven by legal requirements and will apply to Steam, Epic and UPlay. A bad game is a bad game and people will seek refunds regardless.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I didn't play the original but I will buy this since it is skipping Steam and Steam now embraces authoritarianism and anti-free speech policies.
    Gdemami
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Any guess on how badly Ubisoft is going to punish the developers because their new game won't meet sales expectations?
    Gdemami
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    The reason why The Division 2 is being offered via UPlay is obvious - there own website that will give maximum return.

Why Epic's site though? I wonder whether Epic have done a deal as a way of promoting their new store?
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    I will bypass this just because it isn't on Steam. Just hell no to Uplay and don't need another launcher on my computer for a single game. I understand the reason behind it but ever developer doesn't need to create a new storefront/launcher. I enjoy having all my games update without me having to worry about it and without having to run god knows how many programs to do it.
    Caffynated