Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your DREAM MMORPG? List mechanics etc.

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
It's 2019. You're older and wiser. What do you yearn to play? What is your DREAM MMORPG? Tell us everything! List mechanics from other titles that you enjoy etc.

What would you make us?

Gdemami

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    It looks a lot like Everquest.
    Phaserlight

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    SWG with modern graphics and free aiming combat.
    NorseGodEronakis
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Amathe said:
    Mine looks a lot like EverQuest Next. I'm not into rekindling the flames of the past. I'm done with this genre until something next gen. in every sense of the word launches. 
    Mendel
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I would want to see the mmorpg genre to be nothing resembling previous games. The genre is near dead and rehashing the mechanics and play style of all those previously have led to the downfall. 
    The genre needs to restart and reboot and not rehash and recycle. 

Well apparently blue and I are sitting in the tree - a g r e e i n g. 
    Ungood[Deleted User]

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Would like a game like Destiny 2 that played like GW2.  Meaning lots of different ways to enjoy the content without forced mini-maxing. 

So far I'm happy with GW2. 

I like how you can use any weapon in ESO and would like to see that in more MMO's. 

ESO needs more skill bars that are easy to configure like in SWTOR.  I like the idea of player created quests in MMOs and would like to see more of that. 

Would be nice if they could work the Nemesis system into MMOs.  Flipping NPCs, helping them get promoted so they are even more valuable to you is a great idea.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I would say SWG with bugs fixed, updated/modern graphics would be a nice addition, but not needed.
    Game still looks good as it is, gameplay is still better than most MMORPGs that have released since, which is why I still play it.
    Octagon7711
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Amathe said:
    Mine looks a lot like EverQuest Next. I'm not into rekindling the flames of the past. I'm done with this genre until something next gen. in every sense of the word launches. 
    Note that the OP called for a "dream" mmorpg - not a realistic, practical, likely to succeed or even ever to happen mmorpg. My dream mmorpg sits on the shelf next to my dream that Eva Green will have my babies. 
    Cryomatrix[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Genre needs some new ideas, but rehashing I disagree with.

I see no reason to reinvent the wheel. Just make a good game honestly at this point (Something 95% of developers cannot seem to do). The real issue is every developer is trying to make mmos have mass market appeal. Which makes them all the same, all shallow, all focused on the lowest denominator so they draw in the most ppl and make the most money.

I am sick of P2W cash grabs. I am sick of jumping into an mmo to find out I have 4 weeks of relevant content every 3 months. I am sick of things being ultra shallow and stupid simplistic to appease the casual crowd. I am sick of being a walking god in everything able to slaughter 10-15 mobs of my level at once solo.

Honestly I would take and gladly pay a sub for a game with the design of an older mmo.. with updated combat and graphics. And honestly I think alot of ppl would.

Give me a FFXI style game with updated graphics, combat system, some options for solo players, and some QoL stuff and I would gladly sub $25/month to it. 

The shift of everyone to mobile is a huge issues I see... that will be the death of this genre if it takes hold. Screw auto play short session mmos.

Some indy mmos are promising, but from what I seen so far they need years of work with graphics/animations/ect. I am not wanting to play a game that looked like it was made in 2003 in 2019. Does not need to be Black Desert quality, but needs to be modern.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    mmolou said:
    I would say SWG with bugs fixed, updated/modern graphics would be a nice addition, but not needed.
    Game still looks good as it is, gameplay is still better than most MMORPGs that have released since, which is why I still play it.
    When I desire old school I put on SWG Legends or SWG EMU.  They do the job.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Theme: Fantasy, e.g., goblins, dark elves, etc.
    Art Style: Frank Frazetta

Economy: Star Wars Galaxies-like crafting / player cities / player shops.

Combat: The Force Unleashed-style Melee / Quake 3-style projectiles for bows / magic blasts etc.

2 server options: PvE Only and Open World PvP. No Battlegrounds or sieges etc.

World Size: Vanguard

Character Creation: Star Trek Online's "Build your own race" customization.

Fluff: Ability to play your own music via VSTs etc: LoTRO.

Progression System: Ability to mix and match classes via skill-point system (SWG).

Loot: Diablo 2's Randomized Item Statistical Loot. The thought of that "dream drop" made the hours of mindless grinding fun.

Fluff: Player Bounty System. Constant gankers are flagged and placed on a Real Player Bounty System.

Lots of social classes, e.g., musicians, tailors, chefs, builders, etc.

Ungood
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Open world with no instance
    All items are trade-able
    Big inventory
    No level restriction
    No gear treadmill
    No big power gap
    Have good pet system where the slaves .. i mean the pet (aka bot) work for you while you afk and take a nap . Okay , this one was a joke .

Amathe said:
    Amathe said:
    Note that the OP called for a "dream" mmorpg - not a realistic, practical, likely to succeed or even ever to happen mmorpg. My dream mmorpg sits on the shelf next to my dream that Eva Green will have my babies. 
    I bet that dream has recently became a teenager. 

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Dauzqul said:
    Theme: Fantasy, e.g., goblins, dark elves, etc.
    Art Style: Frank Frazetta

Economy: Star Wars Galaxies-like crafting / player cities / player shops.

Combat: The Force Unleashed-style Melee / Quake 3-style projectiles for bows / magic blasts etc.

2 server options: PvE Only and Open World PvP. No Battlegrounds or sieges etc.

World Size: Vanguard

Character Creation: Star Trek Online's "Build your own race" customization.

Fluff: Ability to play your own music via VSTs etc: LoTRO.

Progression System: Ability to mix and match classes via skill-point system (SWG).

Loot: Diablo 2's Randomized Item Statistical Loot. The thought of that "dream drop" made the hours of mindless grinding fun.

Fluff: Player Bounty System. Constant gankers are flagged and placed on a Real Player Bounty System.

Lots of social classes, e.g., musicians, tailors, chefs, builders, etc.

I like this. I'll add a hardcore server where if you die once, you get moved to the regular non-hardcore server. You'd also have ways to get out of trouble. 

I'd also add the ability to have restaurants, brothels, farms, slave trader. I'd love to join a game and basically be "the GOT guy who owns brothels, forgetting his name" . The finger or something. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I want a game where I can interact with almost anything.  If I'm cold, I can break up a chair and put it on the fire.  If I'm being chased by a wolf, I can climb the nearest tree.  I can creep along the rooftops, and break doors, and they remain broken until someone fixes them.  I want natural disasters to matter, fires, floods, outbreaks of disease and ways for players to counter these.  I want communal tasks to build walls, clear fields, cast complex spells or fight a house fire.  I want judges to evaluate the aesthetic value of an urn I create and rank it next to other urns.  I want to sit in a bar and order from a server without having to stand up.  I want a reason not to go out in the rain.  I want a realistic combat system where it is suicide to try to fight a hundred life-or-death battles in a day.  I want religions that matter, guilds that stand for something, and politics that rule portions of the world from the smallest village to the largest empire.  I want a player to be represented by an individual character rather than a personal hoard of alts.  I want roleplaying to matter and be rewarded.

Oh, and could it be science fiction, I've about burned out on fantasy.  For now, anyway.  And my jet pack better not be just a mechanism for extended jumps.  I want flying.

I guess I'd better switch to a belief system based on reincarnation, because that is several life times distant.

iixviiiixSteelhelmUngood

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    I'd like to see Screeps mechanics of an AI territory control game, with individual character PvE mechanics mixed together.

Basically conflicts of the overlord side of the game being the world event generator for the Character side (along with filling out the feudal npc background stuff, along with choosing some extra rewards for characters).   And the Character side quests/raids providing buffs to the overlord side.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    An updated Dark Age of Camelot.  Keep the game the same, just make it look and perform better.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited January 2019
    Basically most people here (and me too) want old games that not WOW clones remastered vanilla version with bug free and better graphic .

NorseGod
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Asheron's Call basically, with the crafting system of Horizons/Istaria

[Deleted User]Cuppett5
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    edited January 2019
    I'm not too demanding

1. Persistent large open world with appealing diversity of zone design
    2. Classic combat styles. More focus on stats and build than on combat itself.
    3. Extremely deep character build system (abilities, stats etc) with huge amount of possible variations
    4. More focus on RP than we're used to today (doesn't necessarily mean huge amount of scripted storylines)
    5. Harsh environment.
    Steelhelm[Deleted User]
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I thought about this for a while, but didn't really come up with anything different than last year, aside from the fact that I'm more enthused about fishing gameplay than I was last year.

So, same basic design as before:
    Sim-flavored PvE MMO, but not a sandbox, more of a sandpark.  Gameplay would be inspired by A Tale In the Desert, focusing on house building, crop growing, and other minigame crafting activities.  Major differences from ATitD would be the addition of monsters and a PvE combat system by which players would hunt these monsters for crafting mats, the addition of a worldwide marketplace, and maybe a mount breeding and racing system.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    one thing I really enjoyed was the SWtor companion system at launch

[Deleted User]
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I like playing healers, I like playing dungeon content with friends and I like doing content that push me to my limits. For it to be a dream MMORPG there has to be a shift in the way gameplay and content is handled. How exactly that would happen is up to game developers to figure out.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
     swtor 2 with much much better graphics and animations, action combat with awesome light saber animations, with mass pvp like gw2's wvw but republic vs imp and geat engine that can support 100 vs 100 with little to no lag and good fps, yeah that is my dream mmo.
    Steelhelmklash2def
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Big open world with lots of exploring (and no going to quest areas is not exploring)..... Group content...Not quest or story driven.
    [Deleted User]Sovrath