Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New MMO Shooter Based on the 'Alien' IP is in Development at Cold Iron Studios - MMORPG.com News

2»

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I do love the Alien universe. I was hoping for a sequel to Isolation but an MMO would be cool too if done correctly. Even team based shooters in this universe are really fun, hoping they can pull this off.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2019
    Nyctelios said:
    gervaise1 said:

Nyctelios said:

DMKano said:

Cold Iron Studios is a subdivision of FoxNet games (twentieth century fox film and fox networks group)

FoxNet already has Alien:Isolation - which is another Alien franchise game - so this would be another one to add.

Cold Iron studios is about 30 devs - they are hiring right now - have 7 positions open including world builders, gun artist, surface artist, audio designer as well as back-end devops and infrastructure engineer spots.

Should be plenty of devs out there to choose from (granted not all of them would ever want to work for another game company again)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien:_Isolation

I failed to find the information you gaive.

Cold Iron Studios home page http://coldironstudios.com/ states that "COLD IRON™ and COLDIRON™ are trademarks of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation. © 2018 FoxNext Acquisition Holdings, LLC"

It has the job listing as well.

Also FoxNext Games https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FoxNext which lists Cold Iron Games as a division.

And since Disney have bought 20th Century Fox I assume that this will come with the purchase hence .....

gervaise1 said:

So a Disney game!

No dude, as if wasn't obvious enough, I was reffering to Alien: Isolation.
    So much for trying to help! And no it wasn't obvious which part of @DMKano 's info you couldn't find. I'm still not 100% sure but I will try and help again!

Alien: Isolation    https://www.alienisolation.com/news    game software was created for "Fox" by "The Creative Assembly Limited" owned by SEGA. See the bit at the bottom of the link.

The link doesn't says Fox not FoxNext since FoxNext was only created in 2017 - so some time after Alien Isolation released. Cold Iron Studios was purchased last year by FoxNext - various articles can be found - to quote "reduce Fox's dependence on 3rd party developers".

Post edited by gervaise1 on
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    So much good material for gaming. Hopefully they will do a good job with it. I've played a few of the alien RPGs that came out and they were... decent.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Orthelian said:
    The nature of the MMO genre doesn't seem well-suited to horror, but I'd be delighted to be surprised.
    The Wendigo in the parking lot of The Secret World managed to scare me quite badly the first time.
    Chamber of Chains
    Nyctelios said:
    <snip>

Alien: Isolation wans't created for Fox. It was created for SEGA who bought the rights from Fox to make games based on Alien IP.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140120165933/http://www.edge-online.com/features/how-creative-assembly-convinced-sega-to-greenlight-alien-isolation/

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/103006/Sega_Acquires_Alien_License.php

Ahm... The only thing Fox has to do with Alien: Isolation is that Fox owns Alien IP and lended movie and unused footage so Creative Assembly could make the game that was published by SEGA.

Again, what Alien: Isolation has to do with anything? Besides being the game such rip off is based upon?

Not fox, nor Cold Iron, as far I know, has anything to do with Alien: Isolation. That's what I failed to find information about when he said Fox owns it. Fox (or whatever subsidiary it is), as far I know, does not owns Alien: Isolation, it owns Alien IP itself.
    OK see what you are getting at.

The copyright though is informative: 

Alien: Isolation, Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 TM & © 2014 Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation. All rights reserved. Twentieth Century Fox, Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and their associated logos are registered trademarks or trademarks of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation. Alien: Isolation game software, excluding Twentieth Century Fox elements © SEGA. Developed by The Creative Assembly Limited. ....

Specifically Alien: Isolation is a trademark and copyright of Fox not a trademark of Creative Assembly / Sega. In the case of a simple IP licence the developer usually has the copyright e.g. SWTOR, LotR etc.

Also the part about the game software being copyright SEGA makes it very clear that this does not extend to the Fox elements.

Which implies - I suggest - that despite the report about SEGA acquiring the Alien film(s) IP to make games what actually went down was much more limited. And that Fox retained an awful lot of control / rights.

Finding out the details of the agreement between Fox and SEGA - not easy. It will have covered such stuff as a) who paid for the initial development b) how sales revenue was split c) maybe even whether Fox could develop Alien Isolation further without SEGA (upfront payment, licence deal etc.)

If Fox promote Alien: Isolation along with other Alien games that would suggest they have a vested interest. If the look and feel of future games reflects Alien: Isolation that would suggest SEGA will have gotten something.

Does it matter though. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2019
    We are seeing a lt of games come out using popular IP's.
    That means added cost for the license,meaning less for the actual game.Rises the cost meaning likely corner cutting.
    The most popular reason seeing what i have from previous IP games,nothing more than cashing in a cheap game using the IP's brand name.

Example,remove the Spiderman and insert generic model,game likely flops big time.This shooter knowing we have thousands of these shooters already is going to do what better or different to warrant buying it?My hunch,absolutely nothing meaning a simple cash grab off the popular IP brand.

I think it proves how bad the industry really is when top dogs like Blizzard and Square keep rehashing their popular brands in all their games,it says that even the success stories are not confident breaking away.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited January 2019
    There's also Alien: Isolation 2 in the works. Things are good alien-wise. 
    Post edited by ConstantineMerus on
    Sovrath
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Please be 3rd person
    hallucigenocide
  • Vorch21Vorch21 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    edited January 2019
    Ufff., poor, poor alien,. ...
    Wizardry said:
    We are seeing a lt of games come out using popular IP's.
    That means added cost for the license,meaning less for the actual game.Rises the cost meaning likely corner cutting.
    The most popular reason seeing what i have from previous IP games,nothing more than cashing in a cheap game using the IP's brand name.

Example,remove the Spiderman and insert generic model,game likely flops big time.This shooter knowing we have thousands of these shooters already is going to do what better or different to warrant buying it?My hunch,absolutely nothing meaning a simple cash grab off the popular IP brand.

I think it proves how bad the industry really is when top dogs like Blizzard and Square keep rehashing their popular brands in all their games,it says that even the success stories are not confident breaking away.
    The key point here is that Fox own Cold Iron and Fox own the IP. So no reason why less should be spent on development - unless there is some internal accounting that Fox engage in.

As for IP deals in general pros and cons. An IP should lessen the need for advertising so may work out cheaper. As you say though it may also impact what is spent on development.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I picture this as the next-up in the co-op shooter line -- Defiance, Tabula Rasa, Firefall, etc. rather than a Destiny-type.
    I could see that working for the IP in the vein of Aliens... which as we know(or you are wrong), was the best Alien movie.
  • Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Well here is another SO CALLED MMO I won't play!!

Just isn't my type of game!! Hell I didn't even like the movies!!
  • evolgrinzevolgrinz Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Now let's hope it's not going to be an Battle Royal game....
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    Squad Based FPS is my guess. Where I hope Aliens could be playable, I haven't seen it done well.

Alien in a Destiny styled game perhaps?
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Honestly, I really hope this is a Destiny style game. I don't love Destiny or anything like that.. but that style works perfectly for this IP.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    This sounds intriguing. I just hope it's more Division/Destiny rather Aliens:Colonial Marines. If they were smart they would add Yautja(Predators) as a third faction. I would be fine if it was the first expansion. Followed by the Engineers.
  • AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384
    I don't know. The initial 10 seconds of reading this my hype-meter flew through the roof, but now? I'm just having a hard time seeing how an MMO would fit the Alien-IP. Killing wave after wave of Aliens just so I can get a better assault gun would just suck. I doubt we'll get a game that fits the IP better than Alien: Isolation.
    Just give me a new Alien Vs. Predator-game (non-MMO) please.
  • ant83835ant83835 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited April 2019
    As a HUGE everything ALIENS fan I am excited for this news. At the same time though, I am a little hesitant because of the recent past offerings. Colonial Marines was an absolute disaster, and a part from the CPU version of ALIENS vs PREDATOR, nothing has done the series justice. If they pull this off though and use story lines from the movie ALIENS and books such as Earth Hive, Nightmare Asylum, The Female War, etc, and have graphics and controls on par with Destiny, then I can say this would be the only game I played for a VERY long time.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Orthelian said:
    The nature of the MMO genre doesn't seem well-suited to horror, but I'd be delighted to be surprised.
    Quite true. The aspect of horror is the despair and helplessness of the situation as you wait for death to come for you. That's just not something you can easily create in a game where death is the mechanism by which you become increasingly less helpless.