Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too much PvP for me

13»

Comments

• razor247razor247 Member UncommonPosts: 57
    PvP is something lazy developers think they can get away with instead of making content. It always ends bad as will this. I was hype now could care less. PvP is never balanced and there is never progression with it. Make content that people play together and you win everytime. Enjoy the FAIL
    craftseekernatpick
  • anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 176
    edited January 8
    I'm confused. From the games homepage (link) on the PvP section:

"A player can choose to participate...[]... Our PvP mechanics follow a flagging system, as well as static PvP zones at certain points of interest;... [] ...Our PvP is designed to offer the players a well-balanced and fair world to shape through the pen, or sword should they choose..."

That sounds like PvP only for those who care about it. Kind of like with on a WoW PVE server where you have to flag yourself to PvP unless you stroll into an other faction town (or enter a battleground) and get force flagged.

How could that be too much? (an question that comes from a pve lovin carebear)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,971
    I'm confused. From the games homepage (link) on the PvP section:

"A player can choose to participate...[]... Our PvP mechanics follow a flagging system, as well as static PvP zones at certain points of interest;... [] ...Our PvP is designed to offer the players a well-balanced and fair world to shape through the pen, or sword should they choose..."

That sounds like PvP only for those who care about it. Kind of like with on a WoW PVE server where you have to flag yourself to PvP unless you stroll into an other faction town (or enter a battleground) and get force flagged.

How could that be too much? (an question that comes from a pve lovin carebear)
    People fear it will be too much like his favorite game ArcheAge which along with EVE and some others Steven has referenced on occasion.

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cirdanecirdane Member UncommonPosts: 51
         Looking at the flagging table on their website I can already see the problem. under flagging effects it says that if pve flagged attacks another pve flagged player the attacker gets flagged not as corrupted but as pvp. If the attacked fights back or anyone helps him they get  a pvp flag as well and are free to be attacked. It took me about 30 seconds to figure out about 22 ways to grief PVE players with this. Any ability to attack someone who is not flagged for PVP in a non PVP zone is an invite to griefers it will never work. Griefing is the one part of old time MMOs they need to avoid.

I have hopes for this game but if folks(griefers are not PVPs Griefers are gankers looking to ruin the fun of other players) are allowed to grief PVE play then I'm not the player they are looking for . It would be an easy fix, if I'm in a pve zone and unflagged then I can't be attacked. then I can concentrate on doing what I want. If they could adopt this Idea I could probably become a supporter.
    Soybeancraftseekernatpick
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    edited January 9
    Granted, that was over a year ago. There is a lot of time between now and release. That chart looks great if you've already flagged yourself. I still believe they are more intelligent than going the non consensual PvP route. (Edit: By that I'm referring to PvE servers)

The current release schedule of other MMOs is almost non-existent to a title with this broad of reach. Turning away a large subset of players wouldn't be ideal and I'm not sure why any fan of the game, no matter what side of the fence you're on regarding PvP in MMOs, would disagree.
    Post edited by Aelious on
    cirdanetweedledumb99
  • yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 224
    RNG, PVP and CO-OPERATIVE PLAY: These days, all pseudonyms for not enough content, provide your own entertainment.

• SoybeanSoybean Member UncommonPosts: 96
    cirdane said:
         Looking at the flagging table on their website I can already see the problem. under flagging effects it says that if pve flagged attacks another pve flagged player the attacker gets flagged not as corrupted but as pvp. If the attacked fights back or anyone helps him they get  a pvp flag as well and are free to be attacked. It took me about 30 seconds to figure out about 22 ways to grief PVE players with this. Any ability to attack someone who is not flagged for PVP in a non PVP zone is an invite to griefers it will never work. Griefing is the one part of old time MMOs they need to avoid.

I have hopes for this game but if folks(griefers are not PVPs Griefers are gankers looking to ruin the fun of other players) are allowed to grief PVE play then I'm not the player they are looking for . It would be an easy fix, if I'm in a pve zone and unflagged then I can't be attacked. then I can concentrate on doing what I want. If they could adopt this Idea I could probably become a supporter.
    From the website:

If a GREEN Non-Combatant player attacks a GREEN Non-Combatant player - the attacker will become a PURPLE Combatant.
    1. If the player being attacked does nothing they will remain  GREEN
    2. If the player being attacked retaliates they will also become PURPLE.

lol this looks like it is going to be a gank box game
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,458
    edited January 13
    Well, it's fun to discuss hypotheticals, I suppose.  In reality, the game's probably gonna be a PvP Battle Royale with 0 PvE now (if you believe they'll make the MMO later, Chris has a spaceship to sell you).  Yeesh.
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,541
    I foresee this game taking a large resemblance to BDO in terms of legitimate PvP. I'll stick with the DAoC Phoenix server that just launched and good luck to those who dive into this game. After seeing how useless the Karma PvP mechanic was in BDO, I don't expect AoC to be any better.