Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sea of Thieves – Also Misrepresented - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2019
    Rhoklaw said:
    First mistake... Windows 10. Yes, I have Windows 10, but I won't support exclusive platform games. Just ask Rock Star if I bought Red Dead Redemption 2 or if I bought another Windows 10 exclusive State of Decay 2. I understand console or PC only games, but when you start doing crap like operating system exclusive, something tells me you think too much of yourself.
    I agree with this. Same reason I don't buy EA games on PC with their Origin exclusivity. At least Ubisoft sells their games on Steam although they require Uplay.

Software based exclusivity on the same platform is ridiculous.

EDIT: as for RDR2, i'm sure when it releases on PC it wont be tied to a single DRM store, i hope.

EDIT2: I don't see the W10 requirement as a problem, but i do see w10 Store exclusivity as a big problem.

• Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    Kyleran said:
    I tried upgrading my Sager laptop from Win 7 to 10 when they first offered it.

My sound card ceased working and I started getting BSODs while trying to work through the issues.

Was far easier to just roll back to 7 and never look back.

I contacted Sager for help who said it was likely due to poor driver support and they said my laptop only was certified for Win 7, and  8, for Win 10 I was on my own.

I'll likely buy a new laptop this year with Win 10 on it and solve the problem.

Doesn't matter now, getting ready to go back in time with the rising of the Phoenix.

;)
    I blame card vendors for that kind of thing.  Not the early BSODs.  That's prob windows, but the driver issues is just dumb.  If you had drivers for 8, you should have had drivers for 10.  I'm not a winkernel dude, but I've been told that sound drivers in the two OSs was very very similar.
    [Deleted User]
    Hail Linus.
    [Deleted User]
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    I wanted to love SoT so badly. It's just not fun running around getting ganked over and over by large groups on giant ships. Open PVP with zero consequences for the aggressors sucks!
  • HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    SOT and Atlas does have one thing in common, piracy. SOT is like a small battle royale while Atlas is a no life survival game. SOT can be played solo and you can almost do high end content and Atlas you need 50+ ppl to enjoy raiding other ppls bases. The constant struggle ppl have in Atlas with gameplay and bugs is pathetic. :(

SOT is perfect for what it offers and time will tell if it will be better or not but comparing a game that at lvl 1 you experience end game content with a game that needs 50 ppl and tons of hours just to leave to prepare for 1st raid, is dumb as fuck
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    bestever said:

Rhoklaw said:

Viper482 said:

Rhoklaw said:

First mistake... Windows 10. Yes, I have Windows 10, but I won't support exclusive platform games. Just ask Rock Star if I bought Red Dead Redemption 2 or if I bought another Windows 10 exclusive State of Decay 2. I understand console or PC only games, but when you start doing crap like operating system exclusive, something tells me you think too much of yourself.

Time out....am I reading this correctly? Are you implying the game is not doing well because it is PC only? And you are actually boycotting a PC only game calling it a......"operating system exclusive"?

I'm too shocked really to completely spit my water out on my keyboard laughing at this. And to top it off...you call yourself a PC Gamer only.

Please tell me if I got this wrong because if I don't.....holy hell. Reeeeaaaalllly?

No, actually you would be incorrect. I said Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 are Windows 10 exclusive games on the PC. It wasn't until just recently that Windows 10 outpaced Windows 7 in overall usage. It's stuff like this where Windows tries to coerce people into upgrades they don't want. I also said I have Windows 10 on my laptop, but I still chose not to purchase it.

Don't see the issue here. Microsoft is building a platform and not just a operating system. Why keep updating a OS that isn't going to be supported after 2020? Why waste the time and money to support windows 7 with features that are in the new OS/platform? If people choose not to switch then that's on them.

The funny part is you're not supporting the most consumer friendly service any company has offered us. Its a play anywhere title and that also counts for xbox gamepass. $9.99 a month gets you every new game Xbox makes on both systems and PC doesn't need to pay for Xbox live, hopefully they make that change for console at some point but probably not. Now if you complained about the Microsoft store I would agree it needs a bunch of love. If you're going to let a 10 year old OS hold you back from playing some games that's just silly but hey each to their own.

The one thing that bugs me the most is how they don't let have amount of settings to tweak like games on steam. They do lock them down more then I like that's for sure.
    Win 7 will probably be around for several more years yet, it has the same or better performance than Win 10 and is still on at least 40% of PC's, so while MS might be pushing for Win 10 to be the main Win OS, developers are likely to still support Win 7.
    I think the true test of how widespread Win10 is, will be 2020, if MMO's are still supporting Win 7 at that point, then it means that they still represent a large proportion of their playerbase.
    Windows Store's biggest problem is that they are pushing their own proprietary 'platform' and its not as good as the alternative, there is a reason why the games on Steam tend to work better than the ones in Windows Store, its because they are not the same.
    Kind of interesting though isn't it that Win 10 is often out performed by the now aging Win 7, although Win 7 by now is about as patched as an OS can get, of course Win 7 doesn't have all that spyware etc. or the issue with the creators update, or the update from last october that they still haven't got to work right, nor does it have the 'microstuttering' issue.
    Win 10 is still a work in progress, i suspect its much like Star Citizen in that the finished version is still XX years away :p
    Phry said:
    Win 7 will probably be around for several more years yet, it has the same or better performance than Win 10 and is still on at least 40% of PC's, so while MS might be pushing for Win 10 to be the main Win OS, developers are likely to still support Win 7.
    I think the true test of how widespread Win10 is, will be 2020, if MMO's are still supporting Win 7 at that point, then it means that they still represent a large proportion of their playerbase.
    Windows Store's biggest problem is that they are pushing their own proprietary 'platform' and its not as good as the alternative, there is a reason why the games on Steam tend to work better than the ones in Windows Store, its because they are not the same.
    Kind of interesting though isn't it that Win 10 is often out performed by the now aging Win 7, although Win 7 by now is about as patched as an OS can get, of course Win 7 doesn't have all that spyware etc. or the issue with the creators update, or the update from last october that they still haven't got to work right, nor does it have the 'microstuttering' issue.
    Win 10 is still a work in progress, i suspect its much like Star Citizen in that the finished version is still XX years away :p
    I seriously doubt that.  Newer versions of DirectX don't support Win7, which is why I suspect several games are coming out as "Win10 exclusive."  It has less to do with the OS than the tools in it.

You're going to see that happen more.  Games may come out and work on Win 7 because they don't use DX, but I seriously doubt many developers will spend effort trying to regression test their games for Win 7.  Frankly, you don't want them doing it, either.  Reverse compatibility eats up a lot of time that could be used for other development, and it's a consistent draw on resources all through development.
    MadFrenchie
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Mikeha said:
    3th most watched game on Twitch with only Fortnite and League Of Legends ahead of it. 
    Sea Of Thieves is ahead of games like Rainbow Six, Counter Strike, DOTA, Call Of Duty, PUBG, Overwatch and World Of Warcraft. 

Prove these haters wrong Rare! ;)  

It is 43rd place as we speak, with 5k people watching ;)

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Wizardry said:
    SOT released with a ship and some water and VERY little else,that does NOT make a game.
    I am quite certain Microsoft rushed this out but can't begin to imagine the conversations between develoepr and Microsoft.
    Likely to the effect,we have no more money,what do you want us to do...RELEASE it.

Bottom line is they ripped people off badly and at $80 that is outright stealing.
    From, what i saw the game was a shell and nothing more,it would need about 2 years of good effort to turn it into a viable game.

If i was just going to hit a ship and sail around looking for pvp,i would play Blackwake over SOT any day.
    So at this point there is NO WAY,this game has turned itself around because it needs 2 years of work.

I think it was released to help sell  Game Pass. . which was released to help get higher numbers for SoT :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    crankked said:
    I hope we are not going to start praising these clowns after they released a piece of shit unfinished game and then were kind enough to give the DLC's for free. So sick of all these gaming studios flooding the market with garbage, taking months/years to fix it, but still charge full price on release. Sad state of affairs we are in today.....

Also @Rhoklaw: Couldn't agree more on not supporting OS exclusive titles. If it's on PC, it should work on PC and not be limited to your shitty Win 10 software that no one wants, but is now being forced down our throats by Intel and MS.
    That is why the "games as a service" thing bothers me to hear.  I will die screaming it to the kinds on my lawn though.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!