Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Orcs Must Die! Unchained is Closing Down - MMORPG.com

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    On a related note, Diablo Immortal has been canceled because "Too many people play Fortnite.".
    Ricardo5802

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
       And surely one would think that TF2 must be taking quite the hit from Fortnite , I mean how could it not , Its a very simialr game with a similar palyer base attracted to it ...

TF2 must be suffering terribly from ther Fortnite Scourge ..

Ohh dam wait ,, TF2 player base has increased each month since Fortnites release ...with a near all time high of player base ..

weird huh ....................... the irony
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited January 2019
    Torval said:
    Fortnite has had an influence and Steam Charts numbers have taken a hit. It has an observably measurable influence.

But "correlation doesn't imply causation" is real and there isn't any concrete proof providing a direct link between that success and this failure. It may have been an influence in the most general sense, but OMD Unchained was pretty poorly received by the core fanbase from the get go. I got the impression they were trying to cash in early on the GaaS trend and fell flat hard.

Maybe it's just not a very good game. If 2019 is going to be unkind to many studios then it could be they've been living on borrowed time with overrated mediocre games anyway. Time and reality are just correcting some bandwagon behavior.
    The whole PC tower defense genre basically died simultaneously.

Dungeon Defenders 2 embarassed its successful predecessor by being a shameless and unsucessful cash grab. I've never met a single person who has played it and the reviews seem to be unanimous on the absurd levels of grind required to progress and unlock characters.

OMD Unchained failed to find a large audience from the start.

Even the attempted revival of the genre by Fornite Save the World was short lived and generally met with skepticism. 
    [Deleted User]
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2019
    Scorchien said:
       And surely one would think that TF2 must be taking quite the hit from Fortnite , I mean how could it not , Its a very simialr game with a similar palyer base attracted to it ...

Ohh dam wait ,, TF2 player base has increased each month since Fortnites release ...with a near all time high of player base ..

You forgot to say how many millions play TF2!

As far as the numbers go though  https://steamcharts.com/app/440 . Down in December! Overall though I would say that TF2 has held its own in 2018, up in 6 months of 2018, down in the other 6. Average looks to be down on 2017 as well. Finished with an uptick in peak though - can it translate this to average players? 

What I used to see in mmos - before megaservers became the norm - is that when a server's population declined as guilds lost members you started to see an uptick in the membership of the bigger guilds. And if you were to ask them whether the population was in decline they might say heck no! It didn't change the fact that there were fewer people playing though.

I suggest that there might be an element of that in games.

The fact that OMD Unchained and Hero Academy 2 were not, according to the CEO Patrick Hudson, to cover the operational costs  let alone make a profit / fund new games is telling. Will the 2 new games that they are working on see the light of day? 

gervaise1 said:
    Scorchien said:

As far as the numbers go though  https://steamcharts.com/app/440 . Down in December! Overall though I would say that TF2 has held its own in 2018, up in 6 months of 2018, down in the other 6. Average looks to be down on 2017 as well. Finished with an uptick in peak though - can it translate this to average players? 

What I used to see in mmos - before megaservers became the norm - is that when a server's population declined as guilds lost members you started to see an uptick in the membership of the bigger guilds. And if you were to ask them whether the population was in decline they might say heck no! It didn't change the fact that there were fewer people playing though.

The fact that OMD Unchained and Hero Academy 2 were not, according to the CEO Patrick Hudson, to cover the operational costs  let alone make a profit / fund new games is telling. Will the 2 new games that they are working on see the light of day? 

The number of players has nothing to do with this ...

What it has to do with is TF2 playerbase has steadily grown since Fortnite launch .. A direct competitor for players .. But yet it has grown ..

But we want to attribute a poorly launched Tower Defense games closure to Fortnites success is foolish at best ..A game that tripped all over itself and slapped its playerbase in the face on its launch .. There are threads on these forums from that launch that will confirm that .. I know i was complaining in them ..

*Lets keep in  mind that the players had abandon UNchained before Fortnite BR ever released ...   But that has nothing to do with this huh .. *

Shouldnt TF2 be feeling the effects of Fortnite ..

Trions recent failure also have nothing to do with Fortnite .. they failed there community long before BR .. But should we attribute Trions shuttering to Fortnite .. we may as well ..

Just getting a point across and not railing at you Gervaise1

Gdemami
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Aeander said:

Torval said:

Fortnite has had an influence and Steam Charts numbers have taken a hit. It has an observably measurable influence.

But "correlation doesn't imply causation" is real and there isn't any concrete proof providing a direct link between that success and this failure. It may have been an influence in the most general sense, but OMD Unchained was pretty poorly received by the core fanbase from the get go. I got the impression they were trying to cash in early on the GaaS trend and fell flat hard.

Maybe it's just not a very good game. If 2019 is going to be unkind to many studios then it could be they've been living on borrowed time with overrated mediocre games anyway. Time and reality are just correcting some bandwagon behavior.

The whole PC tower defense genre basically died simultaneously.

Dungeon Defenders 2 embarassed its successful predecessor by being a shameless and unsucessful cash grab. I've never met a single person who has played it and the reviews seem to be unanimous on the absurd levels of grind required to progress and unlock characters.

OMD Unchained failed to find a large audience from the start.

Even the attempted revival of the genre by Fornite Save the World was short lived and generally met with skepticism. 

That's true that the TD genre died all at once. I actually played around 80 hours of Dungeon Defenders 2. I loved the first, and played hundreds of hours of it. But yes, the second was a cash grab in every sense. I still got a lot of play out of it but I think that was because I bought one of the bigger founders packs.

It's weird how big the subgenre of games was, and how fast it all just went away. Dungeon Defenders and OMD were two games that were really prominent with my friends, and they all quit at once.
    Scorchien said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Scorchien said:

The number of players has nothing to do with this ...

What it has to do with is TF2 playerbase has steadily grown since Fortnite launch .. A direct competitor for players .. But yet it has grown ..

But we want to attribute a poorly launched Tower Defense games closure to Fortnites success is foolish at best ..A game that tripped all over itself and slapped its playerbase in the face on its launch .. There are threads on these forums from that launch that will confirm that .. I know i was complaining in them ..

*Lets keep in  mind that the players had abandon UNchained before Fortnite BR ever released ...   But that has nothing to do with this huh .. *

Shouldnt TF2 be feeling the effects of Fortnite ..

Trions recent failure also have nothing to do with Fortnite .. they failed there community long before BR .. But should we attribute Trions shuttering to Fortnite .. we may as well ..

Just getting a point across and not railing at you Gervaise1

1. Compared to Fortnite TF2 numbers are a rounding error.

2. If some players in a game go to Fortnite that game suffers. If the game becomes "unplayable" then some / eventually all of the remaining players move, They didn't go to Fortnite previously so are more likely to go to a non-Fortnite game; established games especially. Maybe even TF2. 

3. I am sure that there will - maybe - be a game that has shown steady growth since Fortnite launched. Maybe. TF2 is not it though. Despite the resources and promotions of Steam - which may be why the numbers showed an uptick towards the end of 2018 having dropped early 2018. Or maybe people left to try Fortnite and then came back. Whatever the numbers have been pretty steady, I suggest, since launch: 

Average                                  Peak
    Last 30 Days52,761.4+2,169.0+4.29%116,141
    December 2018 50,592.4-2,491.8-4.69%116,141
    November 2018 53,084.2+4,317.9+8.85%93,560
    October 2018 48,766.2+7,764.1+18.94%97,329
    September 2018 41,002.1-2,630.2-6.03%58,152
    August 2018 43,632.3-2,517.0-5.45%57,772
    July 2018 46,149.4+1,941.9+4.39%59,658
    June 2018 44,207.4+5,360.4+13.80%57,752
    May 2018 38,847.0-333.4-0.85%56,049
    April 2018 39,180.5+2,398.6+6.52%58,292
    March 2018 36,781.9-933.2-2.47%57,366
    February 2018 37,715.1-15,717.0-29.41%69,198
    January 2018 53,432.1+1,616.0+3.12%72,845
    December 2017 51,816.1-454.0-0.87%71,122
    November 2017 52,270.1-2,693.2-4.90%84,022
    October 2017 54,963.3+3,978.1+7.80%97,248
    September 2017 50,985.2-2,007.3-3.79%73,411
    August 2017 52,992.5+1,131.1+2.18%69,172
    July 2017 51,861.4-546.6-1.04%66,951
    June 2017 52,408.1+2,282.1+4.55%69,895

August 2016 53,742.5-716.9-1.32%72,111

August 2015 60,484.8-293.9-0.48%85,201

August 2014 59,228.8+2,524.5+4.45%83,414

August 2013 50,324.7+1,624.0+3.33%74,504
    August 2012 61,561.4+15,994.5+35.10%117,917
    July 2012 45,566.9--62,321

4. I am sure you would agree that gamers play different types of game. TF2 fits a range of styles as does Fortnite. They are not the same but they do overlap. And there will be a ripple effect.

5. At the end of the day though saying "TF2 disproves Fortnite" is like going into a town whose population has declined over the last years and saying: behold the earth's population cannot be rising because if it was the population in this town would be rising.

(And of course I don't think you are getting at me.)
    edited January 2019
    since may 2018 TF2 average players has grown 2-3k a month .. this is also thru Fornites strong run ..

But again my Point is that Fortnite has NOTHING to do with OMD Unchained shuttering .. and if it was going to have a neagative effect on  a playerbase it would be in TF2 not a niche Tower Defense game that launcehd badly .
    Post edited by Scorchien on
    Gdemami
    edited January 2019
    As I said originally f2p games - in general - rely on people downloading them.

Brought brush: lots of "studies" have been done on f2p games that suggest something like: 90%+ downloads are "never" played, 95%+ are played for less than a day and after a week its over 99% not played. Rough numbers.

Advertising can greatly increase the retention numbers. And result in more targetted downloads. And we know big studios are sometimes spending $100M+. Brings in cost of acquisition metrics though.

In context: if you could get 1M downloads that will only give you 10k players after a week. Then you have to factor in churn - losing people. Most small studios haven't a hope of getting these numbers.

Fortnite not only reduces the number of people who might download your game but it also makes advertising your game hard. Especially the free advertising you might get on gaming sites / magazines etc. since so many articles are Fortnite this and Fortnite that. Remember every company will be trying as hard as they can to get their name out there. Typical big games makes it hard. Fortnite is in a class of its own.

125M is a black hole that distorts all around it.

NB: Can't find gen on TF2 gaining 5k a month. The above shows it going up 14k between May 2018 and now - as I said possibly recovering from a Fortnite induced drop back to what it pretty much was. TF2 is tiny though.
    Gdemami
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Kootur said:
    I have a feeling 2019 is not gonna be a good year for gaming. Lots of Biz types are going to cash out.
    I guess that means we can all dig into our unplayed backlog of impulse Steam purchases and actually clear some of them out this year.
    [Deleted User]
    edited January 2019
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
    since may 2018 TF2 average players has grown 2-3k a month .. this is also thru Fornites strong run ..

But again my Point is that Fortnite has NOTHING to do with OMD Unchained shuttering .. and if it was going to have a neagative effect on  a playerbase it would be in TF2 not a niche Tower Defense game that launcehd badly .

Fortnite success has a ripple effect on all gaming. TF2 is not a direct competitor (TF2 and Overwatch would be closer competitors) but to say that Fortnite has *nothing* to do -  as in absolute zero effect is IMO incorrect. 

Either way - for whatever root cause or reason, it doesn't matter - what is undeniable is that there is a downturn when it comes to PC online gaming business, studios shutting down, games shutting down, this trend wont stop, because the money is just not there the way it used to be.

Devs keep leaving the game industry, less games are being made, less studios are doing well financially.

PC MMOs are facing a very shakey and uncertain future.
      Fortnite has Nothing to do with OMD Unchained shutering nothin at all .. It was abandon by players before BR ever existed ..

And PC Gaming will be fine , there are plenty of games being developed and plenty of people buying them ...

I suppose you want to Blame Trions failures on Fortnite also ............ Trion failed long before BR ..long long before ..

And the irony of you saying that " that there is a downturn when it comes to PC online gaming business,"

and then look Fortnite square in the face argubly the most successful online PC game in the last decade ... And the success of Atlas and BDO etc etc etc ..even bad games are selling at a good rate ..

Fallout 76's physical sales in the US in November amounted to the third highest launch-month sales in the history of the Fallout series

People are buying and spending on PC games at a record rate

But ..yea ....... pc gaming is doomed becasue Trion shuttered ...  They were shutteringg for years , and many here knew it .. 

Gdemami
    gervaise1 said:
    As I said originally f2p games - in general - rely on people downloading them.

Brought brush: lots of "studies" have been done on f2p games that suggest something like: 90%+ downloads are "never" played, 95%+ are played for less than a day and after a week its over 99% not played. Rough numbers.

Advertising can greatly increase the retention numbers. And result in more targetted downloads. And we know big studios are sometimes spending $100M+. Brings in cost of acquisition metrics though.

In context: if you could get 1M downloads that will only give you 10k players after a week. Then you have to factor in churn - losing people. Most small studios haven't a hope of getting these numbers.

Fortnite not only reduces the number of people who might download your game but it also makes advertising your game hard. Especially the free advertising you might get on gaming sites / magazines etc. since so many articles are Fortnite this and Fortnite that. Remember every company will be trying as hard as they can to get their name out there. Typical big games makes it hard. Fortnite is in a class of its own.

125M is a black hole that distorts all around it.

NB: Can't find gen on TF2 gaining 5k a month. The above shows it going up 14k between May 2018 and now - as I said possibly recovering from a Fortnite induced drop back to what it pretty much was. TF2 is tiny though.
    I did correct in my my math while i was typing ..  But again the point i was making and stand by ..  Fortnite has had no effect on TF2 but we want to claim it shut down a niche TD game like Unchained .. assinine
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    cheyane said:
    Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:
    Scorchien said:

SBFord said:

I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of this in 2019. The unstoppable juggernaut that is Fortnite is something most studios / games can't compete with.

Its a completely different Genre we cant be blaming Fortnite for everything .. OMD series has very little in common with Fortnite .. Unchained was in trouble from the start and Fortnite did not exist yet .. Unchained struggled for 2 years and they tried to fix it while Fortnite still had not released ..

Fortnite has as much to do with this as Ford sales being down
    Thing is there are only 24 hours in a day even if is not the same genre the time spent on Fortnite takes away the time you might spend elsewhere.
      How many hours did you play Fortnite this week ?

I don't like Fortnite at all . I don't play it. Ahh I get what you're getting at but I am not the vast majority of players. I play old games I am playing Fallen Earth and Fallout New Vegas now.
    I play all types of games and so far have never felt the need to even give Fortnite a try.  If there were no Fortnite, Orcs Must Die would have probably still failed.  It just wasn't a good game to me, just like WildStar.  RIP...
    Scorchien

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

cheyane said:
    Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:
    Scorchien said:

SBFord said:

I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of this in 2019. The unstoppable juggernaut that is Fortnite is something most studios / games can't compete with.

Its a completely different Genre we cant be blaming Fortnite for everything .. OMD series has very little in common with Fortnite .. Unchained was in trouble from the start and Fortnite did not exist yet .. Unchained struggled for 2 years and they tried to fix it while Fortnite still had not released ..

Fortnite has as much to do with this as Ford sales being down
    Thing is there are only 24 hours in a day even if is not the same genre the time spent on Fortnite takes away the time you might spend elsewhere.
      How many hours did you play Fortnite this week ?

I don't like Fortnite at all . I don't play it. Ahh I get what you're getting at but I am not the vast majority of players. I play old games I am playing Fallen Earth and Fallout New Vegas now.
    I play all types of games and so far have never felt the need to even give Fortnite a try.  If there were no Fortnite, Orcs Must Die would have probably still failed.  It just wasn't a good game to me, just like WildStar.  RIP...
    I agree but ironically we will be told that Wildstar closing was due to Fortnite also :)
  • rioaksrioaks Member CommonPosts: 1
    SBFord 's arguing is such a turn off to this site...She sounds like Trump, making up facts.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Not shocked, though it was good for awhile until they re did everything on it, and then made everyone have to repeat the tutorial that is when I uninstalled because I found that boring.

Seems like they could make OMD Unchained and turn it into a Co-Op game though hosted between players or something.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Yeah I really don't like Fortnite because of the Children who are annoying and the amount of build scripts I see a lot of peopple running at times.

If they had a Fortnite PUBG Verson perhaps the game would be awesome.
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

SBFord said:

Game died a year before even the release of Fortnite...
    Scorchien
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    It must be nice for all these companies to now have a game to blame. Since when did a genre of games ever screw with the population of other genres games in large amounts? LoL catered to FTP players who had no intention of playing BTP MMO'S and the same goes for the current Battle Royale crowd. Sure a few of them switched over from other games but they would've changed games to whatever is popular cause that's the type of gamer they are. The failure of games recently can't be solely attributed to Fortnite's success cause that would mean that all games(PC and Mobile) would be greatly suffering straight across the board and that isn't the case. The downward spiral of PC games started years ago when the PC big boys diverted from developing games and went all in with e-sports and streamers. Certain games are failing AND Fortnite's doing well but the two can be unrelated. It's just that both are happening at the same time.
    Gdemami
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Remember when Fortnite was a zombie survival builder game?
    [Deleted User]
  • TakodanTakodan Member UncommonPosts: 161
    I love this game and the concept of laying down traps and shooting bad guys. But it seems like this type of game isn't something that people like to play for some reason? OMD will be one of those games that i will look back at with fond memories. There is a lot of shitty games out there and this was certainly not one of them.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Yeah, that was a game I was actually interested in...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ScotConstantineMerusAeander
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:

Fortnite success has a ripple effect on all gaming. TF2 is not a direct competitor (TF2 and Overwatch would be closer competitors) but to say that Fortnite has *nothing* to do -  as in absolute zero effect is IMO incorrect. 

Either way - for whatever root cause or reason, it doesn't matter - what is undeniable is that there is a downturn when it comes to PC online gaming business, studios shutting down, games shutting down, this trend wont stop, because the money is just not there the way it used to be.

Devs keep leaving the game industry, less games are being made, less studios are doing well financially.

PC MMOs are facing a very shakey and uncertain future.
    This must effect all gaming though, if you are playing in Fortnite you are not playing elsewhere, regardless of genre or platform.

Also if you are watching a stream of a game you are not playing games, this has to have an effect as well.
    [Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I think it had the sort of survival elements I prefer, gameplay to stop enemies killing you rather than worrying about how cold it is or how much food you need.
    ConstantineMerus
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Scot said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I think it had the sort of survival elements I prefer, gameplay to stop enemies killing you rather than worrying about how cold it is or how much food you need.
    Yeah that's why I love games like Alien: isolation but never got into any of the online survival games. 
    Scot[Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung