Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any MMO like BDO/RoM/FF14?

anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200
An MMO with the visual and gameplay mechanic richness of Black Desert; the multiclass/weapon usage system of Runes of Magic and the PvE/quest diversity of FF14/WoW... is there anything like that (in the making)?

Comments

• anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Arterius said:
    An MMO with the visual and gameplay mechanic richness of Black Desert; the multiclass/weapon usage system of Runes of Magic and the PvE/quest diversity of FF14/WoW... is there anything like that (in the making)?
    Ashes of Creation if you believe the hype. 
    Ain't that supposed to be the next big gankfest? oO
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Arterius said:
    Ashes will never look quite as good as BDO.
    Looking good is pretty much BDO's number one selling point (along with the smooth action combat).

I never played Runes of Magic, so I can't comment there.
    Supposedly Ashes will be good PvE wise though. Then again... which upcoming MMO DOESN'T say it's going to have great gameplay? :joy:

It's definitely my number one game to look forward to at the moment though.
    anothername[Deleted User]

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

edited January 2019
    Arterius said:
    Arterius said:
    Its will have pvp in it too yes but if you believe what they are selling its also going to have tons of quests, dungeons, and raids for the PVE crowd.
    Just flew over their homepage. "Our PvP mechanics follow a flagging system, as well as static PvP zones at certain points of interest;...". Sounds a bit like the WoW version. Nice!

Somehow that game always was branded as non optional pvp/gankfest in my mind and already crossed it off my take a 2nd look list. Thanks for bringing it back my attention :)

edit: I hope that was not that silly thing that kills your chars of old age oO
    Octagon7711
    Arterius said:
    Arterius said:
    Arterius said:
    Its will have pvp in it too yes but if you believe what they are selling its also going to have tons of quests, dungeons, and raids for the PVE crowd.
    Just flew over their homepage. "Our PvP mechanics follow a flagging system, as well as static PvP zones at certain points of interest;...". Sounds a bit like the WoW version. Nice!

Somehow that game always was branded as non optional pvp/gankfest in my mind and already crossed it off my take a 2nd look list. Thanks for bringing it back my attention :)

edit: I hope that was not that silly thing that kills your chars of old age oO
    No, that was Chrolicles of Elyria. A game I feel will never see the light of day but I could be wrong
    It's not just time that ages your character either. Death, including PvP death, also shortens your life span.

So yeah, BIG pass there from me. Not that it matters, because as @Arterius mentioned, it's highly unlikely that game will ever see a live release.
    anothernameOctagon7711

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

edited January 2019
    Arterius said:
    Looking good is pretty much BDO's number one selling point (along with the smooth action combat).

Supposedly Ashes will be good PvE wise though. Then again... which upcoming MMO DOESN'T say it's going to have great gameplay? :joy:

Sure; all MMOs sell tickets to the hype train early on. But an hour ago I did not even had something to look forward to. Now Ashes has the chance to disappoint me :-P

Besides action combat & visuals I love the overall attention to detail in BDO. Building a ship is hell but when finally done (at least for me) very fulfilling. Not even able to accidentally fall into water in FF14 was a bit of a shocker coming from BDO.

RoM has a bit of a D&D type multiclass system. Its ages when I last played it so the details elude me; but IIRC you picked your starting class (i.e. Warrior) and later on a 2nd (i.e. Priest). You choose which one you level and the other always gave some major contribution to the current. Everything else was pretty lame though; at least as I recall it.
    Arterius said:

Sure; all MMOs sell tickets to the hype train early on. But an hour ago I did not even had something to look forward to. Now Ashes has the chance to disappoint me :-P

Besides action combat & visuals I love the overall attention to detail in BDO. Building a ship is hell but when finally done (at least for me) very fulfilling. Not even able to accidentally fall into water in FF14 was a bit of a shocker coming from BDO.

RoM has a bit of a D&D type multiclass system. Its ages when I last played it so the details elude me; but IIRC you picked your starting class (i.e. Warrior) and later on a 2nd (i.e. Priest). You choose which one you level and the other always gave some major contribution to the current. Everything else was pretty lame though; at least as I recall it.
    Ahh, nice!

Yeah, BDO is definitely a very different game from the majority out there. Both its pros and its cons. I did both the Frigate and the Sailboat building, so I hear ya in regards to the suffering lol.

FFXIV's areas are definitely very limited in terms of interactivity. Or they were when I played it briefly at least. Although its focus is on other things, so that's a bit to be expected. SWTOR and other heavily story focused MMOs were just as limited when it came to the world.

Well, WoW being the exception there. Since you can go underwater and fly through the sky on various mounts.
    Octagon7711

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    FFXI covers ALL bases except quest diversity but rest assured ,loads of quests and story based missions.Also quests centered on your class,so it does the job in questing.

Runes of magic imo is not good at multiclass or weapons,FFXI beats that easily.What Runes did so well was Guild Wars,yep something Guild wars game never lived up to but Runes did it.The other aspect was the RUNES idea,pretty cool idea and being able to utilize all your gear as well.Big problem,it was designed as a massive pay to win game.

I don't need ANYTHING like BDO,combat and combos look way out of place,not realisitic not even plausible,they look down right silly.Matter of fact,outside the graphics i didn't like anything BDO did.The NODE idea COULD be good if some effort was put into it,like having visual minions and a plot of land with a house to see them working ,as is was simply a bunch of immersion ruining lines flying across my screen.

I could simply use and updated FFXI but  pre level 75 with better graphics,voice overs and a few tweaks, then i have a near perfect mmorpg.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Anyone else opened the thread to learn wtf RoM is?
    [Deleted User]Azaron_Nightblade
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • seshsesseshses Member UncommonPosts: 67
    I played runes of magic when it launched it was quite popular actually it's probably an age thing Rom has quite a few years under it's belt now .
    ConstantineMerus
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I played that game when it first game out and was addicted to it for awhile.  Not a bad game but not for everyone.
    ConstantineMerus

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Wizardry said:
    FFXI covers ALL bases except quest diversity but rest assured ,loads of quests and story based missions.Also quests centered on your class,so it does the job in questing.

Runes of magic imo is not good at multiclass or weapons,FFXI beats that easily.What Runes did so well was Guild Wars,yep something Guild wars game never lived up to but Runes did it.The other aspect was the RUNES idea,pretty cool idea and being able to utilize all your gear as well.Big problem,it was designed as a massive pay to win game.

I don't need ANYTHING like BDO,combat and combos look way out of place,not realisitic not even plausible,they look down right silly.Matter of fact,outside the graphics i didn't like anything BDO did.The NODE idea COULD be good if some effort was put into it,like having visual minions and a plot of land with a house to see them working ,as is was simply a bunch of immersion ruining lines flying across my screen.

I could simply use and updated FFXI but  pre level 75 with better graphics,voice overs and a few tweaks, then i have a near perfect mmorpg.
    I just couldn't get into the combat in BDO either.  Tried a few classes but it was no-joy for me.  Just as well as the time-sink is strong with that one.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited January 2019
    Wizardry said:
    The NODE idea COULD be good if some effort was put into it,like having visual minions and a plot of land with a house to see them working ,as is was simply a bunch of immersion ruining lines flying across my screen.

You can see your minions actually on the road or mining. you will pass other people's minions on the road or working.

You can also have them work in your garden.

Panther2103[Deleted User]ConstantineMerus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    edited January 2019
    Unfortunately there's nothing like that out there. You're always picking an choosing what matters most off your dream list and its tough to find as game with more than 2 or 3 of them.

Dragon Nest has excellent action combat and is focused on questing/dugeons, but its graphics weren't good even for the time that it released.

Guild Wars 2 has good action combat, and nice graphics, but its PvE is best described as "eh."

Guild Wars 1 has excellent multiclassing and questing, but ancient graphics and dated combat.

D&D online see GW1.

Blade & Soul has decent graphics, excellent combat, and questing/dungeon oriented gameplay, but no multiclassing.