Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Orcs Must Die! Unchained is Closing Down - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageOrcs Must Die! Unchained is Closing Down - MMORPG.com

Robot Entertainment has posted a brief note to its community that Orcs Must Die! Unchained is closing on April 8, 2019. Two of the company's other games, Hero Academy and Hero Academy 2, will also close down on that date. All three games will be playable through April 8th and players will "receive a substantial free grant of hard and soft currencies to enjoy the remaining weeks of live play".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of this in 2019. The unstoppable juggernaut that is Fortnite is something most studios / games can't compete with.
    KylerancheyaneKooturSabracTruvidien88Grunt350TokkenwingoodScotty787Valdheimand 2 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited January 2019
    OMD 2 was the better game they should have stuck to the formula ... real shame as i like the series but yea Unchained fell short of the mark , Hopefully they make a OMD 3 and stick to what worked
    jimmywolffrA6me
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352
    I have a feeling 2019 is not gonna be a good year for gaming. Lots of Biz types are going to cash out.
    SBFordHatefullScotty787Gdemami
    edited January 2019

SBFord said:

I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of this in 2019. The unstoppable juggernaut that is Fortnite is something most studios / games can't compete with.

Its a completely different Genre we cant be blaming Fortnite for everything .. OMD series has very little in common with Fortnite .. Unchained was in trouble from the start and Fortnite did not exist yet .. Unchained struggled for 2 years and they tried to fix it while Fortnite still had not released ..

Fortnite has as much to do with this as Ford sales being down
    WhiteLantern[Deleted User]Panther2103mklinicThupliwingoodGdemamiThaharBlueThunderBear
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I only found out about this game recently and it was fun but it was also very dead, and a game like this relies heavily upon the population to be healthy.

Of course, their matchamking system didn't do them any favors.  There was no way that I saw that you could queue up for "randoms", you had to pick a specific map at a specific difficulty level and then hope for someone else to join.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Scorchien said:

SBFord said:

Its a completely different Genre we cant be blaming Fortnite for everything .. OMD series has very little in common with Fortnite .. Unchained was in trouble from the start and Fortnite did not exist yet .. Unchained struggled for 2 years and they tried to fix it while Fortnite still had not released ..

Thing is there are only 24 hours in a day even if is not the same genre the time spent on Fortnite takes away the time you might spend elsewhere.
    SBFordLiljnaHatefullwingood
    Chamber of Chains
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited January 2019
    Scorchien said:
    SBFord said:

It has NOTHING to do with "what kind of game" Fortnite is. It's the fact that Fortnite is sucking players away from every other type of game and is dominating the space at the moment. 125,000,000 players or more is an astonishing number. Remember WoW's "glory days" of 10M? Fortnite dwarfs that nearly ten times over.
    Elvoc[Deleted User]ShodanasHatefullwingood

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    SBFord said:
    While I agree I'm not too concerned most of these titles/ studios I have never even heard of or never had any interest in.

A good contraction period would probably do gaming some good anyways, the insanity has almost reached epidemic proportions, by both devs and players alike.
    Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited January 2019

SBFord said:

well, now the rest of the gameing world gets the mmo treatment too i guess :)

welcome to the mass market
    KyleranHatefull

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited January 2019
    Kootur said:
    I have a feeling 2019 is not gonna be a good year for gaming. Lots of Biz types are going to cash out.
    I think it's going to be an incredible, magnificent year for gaming if you're a single player gamer, like I have mostly been lately. Not so much if your only interest in gaming is online play.
    SBFordKyleranbartoni33HatefullThupliwingoodThahar
    edited January 2019
    SBFord said:
    Scorchien said:
    SBFord said:

It has NOTHING to do with "what kind of game" Fortnite is. It's the fact that Fortnite is sucking players away from every other type of game and is dominating the space at the moment. 125,000,000 players or more is an astonishing number. Remember WoW's "glory days" of 10M? Fortnite dwarfs that nearly ten times over.
    Unchained was failed at the gate , Fortnite has nothing to do with that and did not exixt , They failed to capture there core audience from day 1 ... Fortnite has nothing to do with this ..

SHall we credit RDR2 suceess to Fornite or Atlas recent good sales .. I mean this must be Fortnites doing
    cheyane said:
    Scorchien said:

SBFord said:

Thing is there are only 24 hours in a day even if is not the same genre the time spent on Fortnite takes away the time you might spend elsewhere.
      How many hours did you play Fortnite this week ?

SBFord said:

the thing about Fortnite is that is can fall just as fast as it rose. Remeber PubG and H1Z1 before that.
    All it would take is a new game thats better and all the Fortnite kiddies would switch in a week,
    SBFordKyleranjimmywolfThupli
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:
    Scorchien said:

SBFord said:

I don't like Fortnite at all . I don't play it. Ahh I get what you're getting at but I am not the vast majority of players. I play old games I am playing Fallen Earth and Fallout New Vegas now.
    Chamber of Chains

Aeander said:

Kootur said:

I think it's going to be an incredible, magnificent year for gaming if you're a single player gamer, like I have mostly been lately. Not so much if your only interest in gaming is online play.

Other than cyberpunk I don't really see many epic games coming down the pipe,
    edited January 2019
    cheyane said:
    Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:
    Scorchien said:

SBFord said:

I don't like Fortnite at all . I don't play it. Ahh I get what you're getting at but I am not the vast majority of players. I play old games I am playing Fallen Earth and Fallout New Vegas now.
    both good games , Ill be jumping back in FE soon myself...

But yea the blame game with Fortnite is a reach here .. Unchained failed on Day 1 .. look at its History ... Fortnite did not even exist ..

Meanwhile OMD2 which is 6 years old still has a solid player base .. Go Figure .. I imagine if they shut it down tho Fortnite will be to blame at this point ..

I think i saw Cody Parkey mention it was Fornites fault his Kick hit the uprite last nite also
    swagholeGdemami
  • ChippyWickChippyWick Member UncommonPosts: 2

SBFord said:

Scorchien said:

SBFord said:

I think you'd be hard pressed to legitimately claim that Fortnite players might otherwise be playing OMD Unchained if Fortnite didn't exist. Sure you might have some overlap, but genre is still very relevant when it comes to potential audiences. Plenty of online games are still very successful. Maybe not Fortnite successful, but enough to keep making decent money. Fact of the matter is OMD Unchained was just a bad game. OMD fans never wanted Unchained, they wanted OMD 3, so right out of the gate you've already alienated your core audience. It was a blunder from the get go.
    ScorchienKyleranjimmywolf[Deleted User]LokeroPanther2103Gdemami
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    I predict that the Battle Royale genre will reach saturation and fade faster than other fad genres (like MOBAs). I say this because they require much higher per round player counts to function. It will soon become impossible for new battle royales to gain traction, if we aren't there already.
    SBFordThupli
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

SBFord said:

Scorchien said:

SBFord said:

I think you'd be hard pressed to legitimately claim that Fortnite players might otherwise be playing OMD Unchained if Fortnite didn't exist. Sure you might have some overlap, but genre is still very relevant when it comes to potential audiences. Plenty of online games are still very successful. Maybe not Fortnite successful, but enough to keep making decent money. Fact of the matter is OMD Unchained was just a bad game. OMD fans never wanted Unchained, they wanted OMD 3, so right out of the gate you've already alienated your core audience. It was a blunder from the get go.
    Yeah, gonna have to side with the posters on this one.  Even within the Fortnite microcosm it is firmly split between the game that resembles Orcs Must Die and the BR game.  OMD had 2 years on Fortnite and even longer (3 I think) before BR became a thing.  If OMD has been well-received and captured that audience there would have been no mass exodus when Fortnite came along with its similar gameplay, even BEFORE BR was a thing.  Fallacious comparison really.
    ScorchienGdemami
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    So currently Robot Entertainment list on their site:

OMD Unchained - PS4 (July 2017)
    OMD Unchained - PC (April 2017) (available in NA/EU and China via Tencent)
    Echo Prime (Oct 2013 iOS, Jan 2014 PC)
    Orcs Must Die 2 (2012);
    Hero Academy (2012);
    Orcs Must Die (2011) - PC and XBLA

Of which they are closing OMD Unchained, their most recent game, and Hero Academy. There isn't even a mention of Hero Academy 2 on their site which speaks volumes. 

So going forward their most recent game will be 2014.

Whilst Robot Entertainment didn't announce they were closing rumours of their life may be greatly exaggerated.
    [Deleted User]
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319
    The first OMD popularized the tower defense genre now dominated by the mobile market. It's sad to see some games close though. This is why I'm sticking with single player games until Ship of Heroes/City of Titans comes out.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2019
    Correct these are not Fortnite like titles. However:

To dismiss Fortnite's impact is to neglect how the market works. Typically such games depend on "drop ins". People who download a game to try. Studies suggest that the vast number of downloads are "unplayed" - first impressions. A tiny % play for 1 day maximum. A tiny % of these play for a week. And a tiny % of these spend money. And people who play for more than a week - well they are rare indeed.

Everything starts with the drop in downloaders though. And by tying up so many players Fortnite is starving other games of people even downloading their games. Let alone trying them. Let alone spending money!

And if you are a company "on the edge" already struggling .......
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    SBFordAlverantGdemami
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 542
    What a shame. I love the orcs must die series. I always considered unchained to be an excellent co op game. However, I think this game would have been better if it just remained a buy to play title and could be played offline.

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    Honestly, not surprised. When they removed siege mode late in development it was an extremely unpopular decision. It was such a large change they offered refunds, which I took them up on. Glad I got out of that.
    Scorchiengervaise1