Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anthem - Official CES 2019 Trailer Spotlights Nvidia Tech - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2019 in Videos Discussion

imageAnthem - Official CES 2019 Trailer Spotlights Nvidia Tech - MMORPG.com

During last night's CES 2019 presentation, Nvidia and BioWare showed off a new Anthem trailer that shines the spotlight on the new technology the game will support. The 4K trailer reveals a new Javelin and some impressive landscapes.

Read the full story here

Comments

• VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212
    edited January 2019
    Before all the EA hate comments start coming in about them monetizing the shit out of this game lets prevent misinformation from spreading and let me list facts.

The game is Buy to play. (No subscription req)
    All DLC's and future updates/content will be 100% free with weekly new content (they are treating it like a HBO series).
    There will be NO loot boxes.
    The only thing you can buy in the game will be cosmetics with no added benefits just looks, you know straight away what you are buying no gambling.

In short this beats nearly all other games monetizing wise especially when you try to compare Anthem to it's counter part Destiny2 that charged you 200$ just for playing it 2 years thats excluding all the lootboxes you could buy.

All information i stated here are based upon official posts from Bioware/EA.
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]Octagon7711doomexSabrac[Deleted User]SupaMutantTacticalZombeh
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Vexiusx said:

Before all the EA hate comments start coming in about them monetizing the shit out of this game lets prevent misinformation from spreading and let me list facts.

All DLC's and future updates/content will be 100% free with weekly new content (they are treating it like a HBO series).

The only thing you can buy in the game will be cosmetics with no added benefits just looks, you know straight away what you are buying no gambling.

In short this beats nearly all other games monetizing wise especially when you try to compare Anthem to it's counter part Destiny2 that charged you 200$ just for playing it 2 years thats excluding all the lootboxes you could buy.

actually, that's the system LoL uses, ait? :)

fine by me, selling cosmetics is a good deal, hope it works out.
    ConstantineMerus

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Every Anthem video I see reminds me of Mass Effect. They canned the next ME game for this -- an RPG-lite shooter. I can't forgive that so won't be playing.

That said, I'd also like to see BioWare continue to exist so I hope it does well so they make good on the Dragon Age 4 game they've teased and maybe, just maybe, revive Mass Effect.
    Octagon7711ApollosWill[Deleted User]Sabrac[Deleted User]Shodanaschilltime99[Deleted User]jordiincraas

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    SBFord said:
    Every Anthem video I see reminds me of Mass Effect. They canned the next ME game for this -- an RPG-lite shooter. I can't forgive that so won't be playing.

That said, I'd also like to see BioWare continue to exist so I hope it does well so they make good on the Dragon Age 4 game they've teased and maybe, just maybe, revive Mass Effect.
    You'll bar yourself from enjoying a (supposedly) good game because they've stopped ruining Mass Effect? I mean, if you don't like the game then you shouldn't play it, but otherwise, that'd be a strange reason to push away joy. 

I also don't understand this trend which is sort of new, as in if IPs should live forever. Mass Effect was a great trilogy, I enjoyed every bit of it, loved the ending, can't that be enough? Isn't it better to shelf the old and let something new have a go at our hearts? I'd personally applaud any company that introduces a brand new IP to the world. Of course, I too, would be missing the old worlds and friends that I've made, but I also look forward to future and what dreams may come. 
    XAleX360chilltime99
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    edited January 2019
    *shrugs* It's just a personal stance, not one for everyone. It's not just because of killing off Mass Effect, but also the diversion away from great single player narrative RPGs in favor of story lite.

I'm not "barring" myself from anything. I want single player RPGs not forced grouping in a pseudo open world where story takes a back seat to "action combat". Blergh. If I want a coop shooter, I'll go play Destiny 2.

Lastly, the trilogy is over. Shepard's story is over. But that doesn't mean that the Mass Effect IP needs to be over. Nothing I've seen of Anthem so far interests me.
    Post edited by SBFord on
    [Deleted User]SolancerSabrac[Deleted User]Shodanas

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    SBFord said:
    *shrugs* It's just a personal stance, not one for everyone. It's not just because of killing off Mass Effect, but also the diversion away from great single player narrative RPGs in favor of story lite. I'm not "barring" myself from anything. I want single player RPGs not forced grouping in a pseudo open world where story takes a back seat to "action combat". Blergh. If I want a coop shooter, I'll go play Destiny 2. Lastly, the trilogy is over. Shepard's story is over. But that doesn't mean that the Mass Effect IP needs to be over. Nothing I've seen of Anthem so far interests me.
    Well that's a very different statement! :tongue:
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited January 2019
    Looks amazing
    hallucigenocide
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    afaik ME4 was bull, ait? :)

don't blame the successor.
    this is what they could make out of what was left after they crashed ME against a wall i'd say ^^

no one blames overwatch for killing titan, or do we?
    ConstantineMerus

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 565

Vexiusx said:

Right... because a company turning 180 degrees a few months after they hook millions of players would be unheard of, am I right?

Because EA, Activision, Ubisoft and Bethesda are paragons of virtue who would rather go bankrupt than cheat and lie to their customers in order to gain a quick buck, right?

Because PR blurbs to hype their latest games are to be taken at their face value.

Because players don't have experience with how slimy, greedy and utterly shameless these companies are in their never-ending pursuit to extract *all* the money from you literally any way possible.

They are full of crap, as evidenced countless of times and at this point giving them any benefit of doubt is not only beyond naive, it keeps most of the gaming industry in the disgusting morass that it has been in for the past few years.
    SolancerTacticalZombeh
    edited January 2019
    Thane said:

this is what they could make out of what was left after they crashed ME against a wall i'd say ^^

Actually, a lot of people do :)

This is NOT a successor in any way to ME other than it's sci-fi. Mass Effect was a single player deep roleplaying game with a companion system and branching storylines with decisions having galaxy changing implications. Anthem, conversely, is an RPG-lite with "games as a service" at its core. 

I'm sure a lot of folks will love it, but it's just not for me. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212

SBFord said:

Thane said:

This is NOT a successor in any way to ME other than it's sci-fi. Mass Effect was a single player deep roleplaying game with a companion system and branching storylines with decisions having galaxy changing implications. Anthem, conversely, is an RPG-lite with "games as a service" at its core. 

I think you are jumping to conclusions on you're biased hatred cause of the Mass Effect story.
    There is no possible way you can even know right now if you like it or not.

The only thing we've seen so far is 1 story quest mission you can't judge the game until you play it and since you do like coop shooters like Destiny2 i think you should give it a fair shot in the free demo that is coming up without having in the back of your mind the whole MassEffect drama.
    edited January 2019
    Vexiusx said:
    SBFord said:
    Thane said:

I think you are jumping to conclusions on you're biased hatred cause of the Mass Effect story.
    There is no possible way you can even know right now if you like it or not.

The only thing we've seen so far is 1 story quest mission you can't judge the game until you play it and since you do like coop shooters like Destiny2 i think you should give it a fair shot in the free demo that is coming up without having in the back of your mind the whole MassEffect drama.
    I thought I'd made it very clear that I love single player deep RPGs with a companion system like KOTR, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Pillars of Eternity 1/2, etc.. Anthem isn't anything like any of those games.

I play Destiny 2 as a single / duo player shooter with convenient coop at locations throughout the maps since I don't raid or do dungeons and all that.

The story based mission they showed didn't interest me at all given what I mentioned above as my preferred game type. Everyone likes different stuff. For what it's worth, I'd feel the same way no matter who made Anthem. 

Different strokes for different folks.
    Solancer[Deleted User][Deleted User]TacticalZombeh

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

If I want a coop shooter, I'll go play Destiny 2.

But what if this coop shooter was way, way better then Destiny 2 (which it might very well be), would you then also not play it (and perhaps even enjoy it?).
    [Deleted User]Solancer
    Shana77 said:

But what if this coop shooter was way, way better then Destiny 2 (which it might very well be), would you then also not play it (and perhaps even enjoy it?).
    I already own D2. Good enough for me. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SupaMutantSupaMutant Member UncommonPosts: 136

Vexiusx said:

Right... because a company turning 180 degrees a few months after they hook millions of players would be unheard of, am I right?

Because EA, Activision, Ubisoft and Bethesda are paragons of virtue who would rather go bankrupt than cheat and lie to their customers in order to gain a quick buck, right?

Because PR blurbs to hype their latest games are to be taken at their face value.

Because players don't have experience with how slimy, greedy and utterly shameless these companies are in their never-ending pursuit to extract *all* the money from you literally any way possible.

They are full of crap, as evidenced countless of times and at this point giving them any benefit of doubt is not only beyond naive, it keeps most of the gaming industry in the disgusting morass that it has been in for the past few years.

Did you watch the movie Ready Player One? In the movie, a wealthy CEO boss used his wallet to buy a Mechagodzilla to trample everyone. That is the future of gaming. Nothing you can do about it. Rejoice!
    SBFordOctagon7711mmolou
    5|_|©|< /\/\¥ |)!©|< /\/\!|<3|3
  • KingNaidKingNaid Member UncommonPosts: 1,875
    Shana77 said:

can you be a space bounty hunter with magic powers in anthem.  and go to different worlds, because thats what i like about destiny
    SBFord
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    First thing I thought of when I saw the video is that it reminds me of ME. To put all that energy into developing a series and such a large fan following then to kill it off is beyond me. They probably said they had told the ME story and it was time to move on. I'm just glad the people who created Superman and the other heroes didn't feel the same way.

So DLCs and updates are free. What about expansions which can be released DLC sized and just as often?

For the record I'm willing to give anthem a try and decide during the free demo as long as it doesn't consist of one small zone. I like the games that let you play anywhere and only restricted by time played, making it easier to get a feel for the world as long as nothing is gated. So far I haven't seen much of a living world, it looks kinda empty but they may be holding back until later to show more.
    SBFord

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MowzerMowzer Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Definately a wait and see for me, because I cannot stop this feeling that its going to be quite shallow and grindy.
    SBFord[Deleted User]Lokero
  • SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138

Vexiusx said:

Hmm... that sounds reasonable but considering EA track record, you can't really blame people for being skeptical (and even hate) towards them.

Bioware may have made promises but let's be real here... they are not the bosses, EA are. The way i see it, they will go one of the following routes (my speculations):

1. They release the game, without breaking the promises they made but they add their sketchy monetizations, weeks later after most of reviews have come out so their metacritic score and initial sales aren't negative affected by "greedy pratices" (Activision Blizzard Style).

2. They release the game, without breaking the promises but they but in a incomplete state with lacking content (which makes more sense since the "free dlc") and release rest content months later (like Battlefield V).

I doubt they would add loot boxes though since they have been become so much a stigma since the battlefront II debacle (thanks EA :P).

But i really doubt EA won't try to do anything sketchy, especially since their stock suffered so much in 2018, they need to boost those profit somehow to reassure investors...

But hey, they might even deliver everything without any strings attached who knows, life is full of surprises, we'll see...
    [Deleted User]TacticalZombeh
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Mowzer said:
    Definately a wait and see for me, because I cannot stop this feeling that its going to be quite shallow and grindy.
    I definitely get that shallow vibe, as well.

The world will be beautiful and would probably worth roaming around for a short time, if you like beautiful scenery/art in games.

But, the game itself looks very arcade-y.  For some reason, I keep thinking of this game as the Ace Combat of RPGs.  It'd probably be fun in short, blowy-uppy bursts of play, but comes off as incredibly shallow.
    Still, I guess shallow, mindless action does have mass appeal, so the game probably will do well with their advertising power behind it.  If anyone knows how to market and profit off shallowness, it's definitely EA with their annual CoD campaigns, etc.

We'll see how long it retains people's attention.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Some poster doesn't get it,so i'll ask the question..

When you love something,someone,you just get tired of it and shelf it?

How often when we finally see a good movie do we walk away saying,thank god that ended,glad it is over?
    As to this video,there is no question the graphics are clean,HQ but he should not be using the term "Immersion"when you IGNORE half the scenery which is mostly just generated trees by quickly flying over everything.

Why even create maps,why not just instantly warp from circle to circle and fight the mobs.rinse repeat?

Giving Nvidia props kind of made me laugh,this game is NOT pushing the limits of what Nvidia can do.

To me it looks like flying around Skyforge maps and combat that at least to me looks like it will get boring after a few days.I guess if said poster is happy with that,so be it,i want the enjoyment to last,IF it is enjoyable.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WasadiWasadi Member UncommonPosts: 35
    EA is known for bastardizing, paring down (day-one DLC), and demonetizing the living daylights out of everything they touch lately. I base this on actual historical data and their past actions. Not press clippings or word of mouth. I also base this on the personal experience of playing their games in some capacity for over 20 years. This is a big wait and see. Especially since it's an online game. Online game launches of this size and magnitude usually end up somewhere between sketchy and three miles past FUBAR. Be excited, anticipatory, and optimistic. But, don't be caught off-guard.

If you ain't dyin', then you ain't tryin'.

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    I just *love* how people attack personal opinion as if it's their civil duty to change their mind and convert them.