Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO version of the witcher..

2»

Comments

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Well, the developers would need to put on completely different game design hats, unless by mmo you mean the nonmmos of recent years (aka single player story driven rpg in a shared world instance).
    I guess the lore is fine to build on, but that is about it. Combat is boring and needs a complete redesign for a mmo anyways.
    Tbh turning things into mmos are maybe not a good idea in general, let the Witcher be the rpg it is and when it comes to mmorpgs design them from ground up instead of starting with limitations of some ip or design..well and first, lets see someone proove that they can make an actual mmorpg for a start.
    Gdemami
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    goboygo said:
    Since it was one of most frustrating game I've play with regards to character movement and combat.  Maybe it would feel better to me as an MMO since they would have to rework the terrible combat and movement in the process.

Garret turned like a battleship with a broken rudder and lurped around like a drunk in a bar room fight taking two extra steps every time he moved.  Horrible console mechanics.
    Thank you for this post. I loved the Witcher story so much but stumbled about ineffectively until I eventually gave up. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Gorwe said:
    I don't really like this modern focus on erotic content. 
     I can respect that. But interest in eroticism is not a modern thing.  It's been around since red algae was bumping uglies in some primordial soup - in whatever strange way it does that. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Amathe said:
    Gorwe said:
    I don't really like this modern focus on erotic content. 
     I can respect that. But interest in eroticism is not a modern thing.  It's been around since red algae was bumping uglies in some primordial soup - in whatever strange way it does that. 
    The new series Made in the Soup is coming your way soon! 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    While I like the Witcher style world, I don't think it will happen. There are already mmo's out there that have humans, elves, dwarves, etc... It would basically be like copying and pasting an already existing MMO but setting it in the Witcher world. They would need a really strong reason to throw something together like that.
    Welcome to the boards!

It is a huge IP which is what they go for but other styles of Witcher Games are far more likely. Can't wait for the Witcher 76 for example. :)
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Scot said:
    While I like the Witcher style world, I don't think it will happen. There are already mmo's out there that have humans, elves, dwarves, etc... It would basically be like copying and pasting an already existing MMO but setting it in the Witcher world. They would need a really strong reason to throw something together like that.
    Welcome to the boards!

It is a huge IP which is what they go for but other styles of Witcher Games are far more likely. Can't wait for the Witcher 76 for example. :)
    Witcher 69 is more likely.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ScotGorwe
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    An MMORPG version of Witcher wouldn't be the Witcher.  It would be something else.  The whole point of the Witcher is that you are Geralt and you're saving things...  Putting hundreds or thousands of Geralts on the server makes no sense.

Also, a big part of Witcher is the realistic graphics (which is why they are very good at doing "Enhanced Editions" to keep the older games "relevant"), which would kill most PCs if it were an MMORPG - so that would have to take a massive downgrade to compensate...  MMPROGs are best done when they are developed to run well on mid-range 1080p setups.  Every time a company has tried to push the limits, graphically, in this type of game... the game has pretty much fallen on its face (EQ2, Vanguard, AoC, FFXIV 1.0, etc.) due to bugs and performance issues.

MMORPG is only as good as the number of people who can play it.  Player base size is everything, because the core design is such that most relevant content is designed for more than a single player (otherwise, mind as well develop a single player game and sell for $60 + Expansion Pass)...
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    NO matter how I tried I could never find any fun in the Witcher games, dry stories, ponderous, clunky combat.  Maybe an online version would be an improvement.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    It's hard to not look back a few years ago and remember the question in play. Why no Fallout MMO? We know why now and Bethesda will spend a decade or more washing the stench of that off their ledger.

I wouldn't ask that company to put their IP on that road and besides, if they made an MMO that was based on witches and witch hunters, I'd rather play the witch. There would be more diversity in the type you crafted over time with abilities and so forth.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    I would rather CD Projekt turn Cyberpunk into an MMO over the Witcher. We could use a cyberpunk MMO over another fantasy MMO.
    Deus Ex would be cool as a GW 1 type co-op mmo imho.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    The three single player games are so good I would hope not.  I have yet to play an MMO version of a good single player game that I liked at all except perhaps for Final Fantasy, but that is made by a Japanese company.  The Witcher single player games are quite good and I don't really see a need to have an MMO.  Especially since the game really revolves around one character in particular.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    While the IP is good enough to expand into other genres. I wouldn't bother if it still had the same horrid combat system. I love W3, but I can admit the combat system is it's Achilles. 
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    edited January 2019
    LIOKI said:
    MMORPG's are cancerous to me since I can't speak for everyone else, yet here I am on an MMORPG site.  They usually end up destroying whatever IP they are derived from based on things I heard or saw on the Internet but have no definitive proof.
    Fixed.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."