Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How come fake trailers work ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
Fake trailers, concept art, and design prod-cast with motivational speakers.   
Magicians pride themselves on deception.  Giving them honest credit, it's for simple fun entertainment.

However NOTHING is more deceitful than advertisement of mmorpg's.  This is a separate issue from development.  It's like advertisement and designers never talk, ever !.......at least it appears that way.  It's like advertisers are called into a Monday morning meeting and given a short synapse and told to make something out of it.  Then Tuesday designers are called in for the same.

My question is how does it work so well on people.  Infact over and over.  Often the SAME PEOPLE.  Think about how many bad games you've purchased, I'm a victim too.  Just like all of us, I know better yet it works anyway.

I'm not picking on anyone !!!!
It's like intellectual has nothing to do with it.  Everyone fall victim, often more than once !!!!  

My question is why ?
-Are we starving for a fix like our first beer or drug ?
-Want to feel that safety of hiding behind a computer, while nestled in our homes ?
-Competition  ?
-Excitement of the ground floor, Can't wait ?

What ever the case.  mmorpg's are first designed on paper with no regards on how, that comes later. 
Good or Bad, it's set in stone "we will make money".  Reputation is unimportant to these people.  Money talks with the here and now.

It all started with Warhammer Online, remember Paul Barnett.
This guy and him alone could talk a dog of a meat wagon.  He tricked me with harsh emphasis on common words and hand gestures.

He could make a common table lamp exciting. 
Plug it in with all your effort.
Press that on switch like their's no tomorrow.
Then Bam !....The room lights up like New Your City impressing everyone around !!!!

Why all this ?.... This is why.... It still works ! 

Gdemami

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    A part of the mind believes what it sees.  Either through videos or the printed word people tend to accept what is presented to them.  Most schools don't teach us to question everything, we are given books and videos and taught what we see and read are facts.  At least until discoveries are made that force the information to be updated, which some places don't bother to do.

It works both ways.  A lot of people watched Star Trek when they were young which inspired them to become engineers, scientists, and innovators who created some of the items that were in the show in real life.  The guy who invented the Motorola flip phone said the idea came from the communicators use in ST.
    delete5230PhaserlightTruvidien88

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Well i believe that stupid people fall easy for such things not matter what. ATLAS carters just about 40k dumb human beeings- i guess enough for that company to make another trash game. At least the programmers have a job to feed their familys: thats the only good thing about this.
    WalkinGlennTruvidien88
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Because games are cheap disposable entertainment.  If you buy a game (their cheap) and you don't like it, don't play it.  People make a big deal about them.  Like they mean something.

Were not talking about fiscal investments, or physical heirlooms and usable products like parachutes and defibrillators, or real estate, or a 100k educations.  We are talking about dopey cheap entertainment.  Stop assigning meaningful values and concerns to games and your view changes, you ultimately have way more fun with your HOBBY.

Its disposable income, using up our free time.  If games mean anything other than those to things to you, then you shouldn't be playing them.

So to answer your question.  No I don't care about the "trailers".  If a game looks interesting, I read through the reviews and forums, throw out the fanatical opinions on each end, dismiss the negative comments of things that I know wont bother me, look for the comments on things I'm interested in make a decision and jump in.  I also jump out just as quick. without leave a months long trail of hate posts behind me.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Games are not cheap, look at SC as a game that has spent more money than some modern movies and it still is not playable crap.

It is hard to get people to invest time when most just want to get play a little and do something else.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    goboygo said:
    Because games are cheap disposable entertainment.  If you buy a game (their cheap) and you don't like it, don't play it.  People make a big deal about them.  Like they mean something.

Were not talking about fiscal investments, or physical heirlooms and usable products like parachutes and defibrillators, or real estate, or a 100k educations.  We are talking about dopey cheap entertainment.  Stop assigning meaningful values and concerns to games and your view changes, you ultimately have way more fun with your HOBBY.

Its disposable income, using up our free time.  If games mean anything other than those to things to you, then you shouldn't be playing them.

So to answer your question.  No I don't care about the "trailers".  If a game looks interesting, I read through the reviews and forums, throw out the fanatical opinions on each end, dismiss the negative comments of things that I know wont bother me, look for the comments on things I'm interested in make a decision and jump in.  I also jump out just as quick. without leave a months long trail of hate posts behind me.
    What !  

$60 is not a big deal to me, but some it is.  
    Even if I CAN afford $60.... It's still an investment, its not like its $5  

Aside from money it's a preparation for TIME INVESTMENT TOO ! 

Please reconsider how others perceive this. 
    KyleranmmolouGdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited January 2019
    To answer the OPs question involves many factors, one of which is hope theory which examines why humans are hopeful and when this is necessary vs when it can be harmful (i.e. false hope)

"Hope springs eternal" is a great short summary,  along with the classic theme from the X-Files, "I want to believe."

Phaserlight

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited January 2019
    A part of the mind believes what it sees.  Either through videos or the printed word people tend to accept what is presented to them.  Most schools don't teach us to question everything, we are given books and videos and taught what we see and read are facts.  At least until discoveries are made that force the information to be updated, which some places don't bother to do.

It works both ways.  A lot of people watched Star Trek when they were young which inspired them to become engineers, scientists, and innovators who created some of the items that were in the show in real life.  The guy who invented the Motorola flip phone said the idea came from the communicators use in ST.
    Hopeful optimism in the face of adversity is how most human advancement comes about.

Almost no one would succeed in anything if they listened to the naysayers.

There is a difference between rational hopefulness and false hope,  and the line isn't always very clear.

In the case of Atlas (and most games) people really should have known better, because the trailer wasn't the only available evidence to make an informed buying decision on.

Pro tip. When new MMOs come out from no where, provide little hard evidence outside of a few trailers, and provide customers little information before trying to hard sell its probably better to hold up on buying it.

Bless Online, FO76, and Atlas all followed the above formula to mislead customers and misrepresent the actual condition of their games, and most consumers haven't built up the same level of saavy skepticism which many on these forums have from years of disappointments.
    Octagon7711Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     This kind of shit seriously only works on low hanging fruit , People fail to take to the time to do there own research or even watch and wait .. Impulse buying is bad .. Sit back and play something else (there is a lifetime of games out there now ..No hurry), particularly when you see a game come out of nowhere and launching EA in 12 days like Atlas did ..

Dont be Low Hanging Fruit ..................  there are Smart Kids and well the other kids DOnt be the other kids
    PhaserlightKyleran
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Don't compare MMORPG advertising and when brands uses fake things to make their products look good on camera. They're not the same.

MMORPG advertising works because the player base tends to be people who think they're smarter than others when they aren't. That's why all the trailers are bogus environment fly-thrus and cut-scenes touted as "in-game". They know the faux smarties will fill in the blanks for them and run them across the finish line. By the time they wise up it's too late and the conversation then shifts to early access/alpha/beta and putting on fronts about who is smart enough to know what early access/alpha/beta is.

MMORPGs marketing is like when Payless changes it's name to Palessi to show how all the faux high-end connoiseur folks will pay $400 for a $15 no-name.

Reasonable people are a minority and they're taking advantage.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    We WANT to believe. "There's one born every minute, and 2 to skin him." We're all looking for that new game that will feel like our first MMO did.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Scorchien said:
     This kind of shit seriously only works on low hanging fruit , People fail to take to the time to do there own research or even watch and wait .. Impulse buying is bad .. Sit back and play something else (there is a lifetime of games out there now ..No hurry), particularly when you see a game come out of nowhere and launching EA in 12 days like Atlas did ..

Dont be Low Hanging Fruit ..................  there are Smart Kids and well the other kids DOnt be the other kids
    Here's a scary thought. You're 100% right, but you're in a very small minority of which the majority thinks they're apart of. Enjoy your red pill.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Kyleran said:
    To answer the OPs question involves many factors, one of which is hope theory which examines why humans are hopeful and when this is necessary vs when it can be harmful (i.e. false hope)

"Hope springs eternal" is a great short summary,  along with the classic theme from the X-Files, "I want to believe."

The argument that goes down here every day between the ardent supporters of these crowdfunded projects and us other MMORPG.com regulars:

Image result for x files gif

As much as I loathe to admit it (just kidding, @DMKano :P ), Kano is right.

Marketing appeals to emotions, which aren't rational by definition.  They don't try to articulate a logical reasoning for your purchasing their product; they either create a fear in you of missing out if you don't, create a peer pressure situation via boasting about how popular the game already is, or manipulate another emotion based on whatever they think will best get you to throw the budget out the window and spend like price was no object.

And it is very, very successful.  I always go back to the armpits: know that white, chalky substance you put under there (or, alternatively the gel style applicators)?  Yea, that's pure marketing.
    Gdemami

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    < quote> 

And it is very, very successful.  I always go back to the armpits: know that white, chalky substance you put under there (or, alternatively the gel style applicators)?  Yea, that's pure marketing.

Like the good stuff advertised... Put it under your arms, run a marathon, take a sweaty nap, then go pick up girls in the local Night Club.... Thats stuff  :o  
    MadFrenchie
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193

Marketing appeals to emotions, which aren't rational by definition.  They don't try to articulate a logical reasoning for your purchasing their product; they either create a fear in you of missing out if you don't, create a peer pressure situation via boasting about how popular the game already is, or manipulate another emotion based on whatever they think will best get you to throw the budget out the window and spend like price was no object.

And it is very, very successful.  I always go back to the armpits: know that white, chalky substance you put under there (or, alternatively the gel style applicators)?  Yea, that's pure marketing.
    Well I don't know what's wrong with your smeller, but I can tell a difference between an bare sweaty pit and one with deodorant :P
    MadFrenchie
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    WAR wasnt about paul, it was about EA.

all paul told us what was planned for WAR was actually planned, prob was, they ran out of cash, they found a publisher (whohooo, electronic arts), and they told em "you release, NOW!". which was exactly the moment mark jacobs left those shitbags, bc it simply wasn't possible.

the game was designed around having six bloody cities. and they released with 2.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

edited January 2019

Well I don't know what's wrong with your smeller, but I can tell a difference between an bare sweaty pit and one with deodorant :P
    Marketing literally shifted our awareness as a society.  Smithsonian can say it better than I can, though:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-advertisers-convinced-americans-they-smelled-bad-12552404/

"Young realized that improving sales wasn’t a simple matter of making potential customers aware that a remedy for perspiration existed. It was about convincing two-thirds of the target population that sweating was a serious embarrassment.

Young decided to present perspiration as a social faux pas that nobody would directly tell you was responsible for your unpopularity, but which they were happy to gossip behind your back about."

Notice that, even way back then, an appeal to emotion was what was needed to spur on mass adoption by consumers.  A little bit of social ostracization, FOMO, and boom!  All of a sudden it's a required toiletry.

If you wear deodorant, congrats: you are buying into marketing!  Luckily, in this instance, the product being pushed ended up being something we can all see benefit in for ourselves.

This level of power is why I always err on the side of the consumer with regards to marketing and advertising bullshit.
    Gdemami

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    You need to be burned before you learn and then you have people that never learn their lesson. It doesn't help when gaming sites keep writing about these mediocre titles and also rush in to defend developers.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    The part I hate most about game ads are when they use cinematic trailers instead of gameplay. Everyone from mobile games to WoW create these elaborate scenes that have zero to do with the actual game.
    delete5230
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Back in the day when we were kids, Buying games was tough
    I remember the days of walking into Toy R Us, Kaybee Toy store & maybe electronics boutique if you had a Apple or a IBM and you had one shot to get shit right. You looked at the back of box , read the description and had maybe 2 or 3 screenshots to make your decision, A heavy box usually meant thick instruction manual which was a good sign ;) . Bought a shit game ? Tough No refunds on open boxes Pal.

With the amount of resources available today ie Media,game play streams,reviews this that You should have a pretty good beat on what you are getting before you even buy. Are Adults really buying games based of trailers ?! I never even considered this. I could see children but adults?
    delete5230
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

thundered said:
    Back in the day when we were kids, Buying games was tough
    I remember the days of walking into Toy R Us, Kaybee Toy store & maybe electronics boutique if you had a Apple or a IBM and you had one shot to get shit right. You looked at the back of box , read the description and had maybe 2 or 3 screenshots to make your decision, A heavy box usually meant thick instruction manual which was a good sign ;) . Bought a shit game ? Tough No refunds on open boxes Pal.

With the amount of resources available today ie Media,game play streams,reviews this that You should have a pretty good beat on what you are getting before you even buy. Are Adults really buying games based of trailers ?! I never even considered this. I could see children but adults?
    I don't make purchase decisions based on trailers because I know they're bullshit :)
    Sovrath
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I seem to be immune to ads.  If anything they make me not want to play a game.  The only ads that work on me are ones for new burgers/items at fast food places.  When it comes to games I just want facts.  Pertinent information about systems and mechanics.  Sadly, getting this information is like pulling teeth.

I blame the gaming community.  They don't care if devs put relevant bullets on their steam page, and most members of a any gaming community seem to be unwilling to answer simple questions, or even get angry if you dare ask for information that is important to you.  

Also, people hyper-focusing on how many people are playing a game, or how many people are watching videos of people play a game, to determine if they will like or buy a game is far, far more of an issue than deceptive trailers.  My ideal trailer would have them explain character development systems, rpg systems, and other system and mechanical info.  Most people's ideal trailer (or it seems to me) would highlight animation, graphics, special effects, and voice over quality.  None of those tell me anything about the game other than neither the devs nor the target market of the game value what I do and its probably a safe game to skip.  The game part is what I want info on, not superficial bullshit.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The part I hate most about game ads are when they use cinematic trailers instead of gameplay. Everyone from mobile games to WoW create these elaborate scenes that have zero to do with the actual game.
    Well, its like the packaging on frozen meals, they are the 'ideal' of whatever they are supposed to represent, rather than what you actually get, they are selling the dream much like cmot dibblers infamous sausages ;)  
    tweedledumb99
    Phry said:
    Well, its like the packaging on frozen meals, they are the 'ideal' of whatever they are supposed to represent, rather than what you actually get, they are selling the dream much like cmot dibblers infamous sausages ;)  
    When you look at a package of frozen meat, you see meat. When you look at a game trailer you see an animated masterpiece that is in no way a representation of what the game actually looks like ;)
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Like the saying goes, "You don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle."  It's also the reason hype works so well, you see a picture or video of something and the mind's imagination fills in the rest, you see posts saying how a game will be the best damn game ever made and your imagination goes wild.  So the game comes out with a lot of bad things they failed to mention in the promo, and a combat system that failed to live up to how you imagined it to be.  Then the cycle starts all over again until you're old enough or wise enough to know better, which is why most ads are targeted to the young.
    Gdemamicraftseeker

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey