Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What mmorpg do you play and why?

2»

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited December 2018
    Echo Of Soul 

Been playing since it released and still playing today. Now its pretty much the only mmo I play. 

Good community, its like one of those small towns where everybody knows everybody so your name matters, best tab target combat of any mmo I have ever played, really fun pvp.

Its just a simple game that takes me back to when I first started playing mmos when all I played was those eastern free to play games like Perfect World, Cabal and Rappelz. Thats when I was actually having REAL fun playing mmos and Echo Of Soul has brought me back to that. :)

Kyleran
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    When you open a thread about MMORPGs but end up learning more about whales you'd realize how stagnate this genre has become.
    HatefullcmacqhallucigenocideOctagon7711CryomatrixAlBQuirky
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • SainguinSainguin Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I've been getting back into Black Desert after taking a year break. It's a hard game to get into. The RNG, open world PvP, and sandbox nature of it will turn a lot of people off. I love it though. Definitely worth the 5$ I got it for on sale.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    A yes, MMORPG.com, the site where people come to brag about how much they hate MMORPGs and try to 1up each other in a never ending cycle to determine who hates them the most.

How exciting.

As for what I'm playing:

BDO just had the archer event, and I've been using it to level other classes with the tagged XP mechanic. I'm nearing my filthy casual goal of 500 gear score, as the try hards push 600.

I've been enjoying Guild Wars 1. Hunting down new skills is always fun, even if the story went a bit pants after Ascalon.

Occasionally I'll pop into EQ or WoW to shoot fireballs at things.

I'm still trying to get into ESO, but it just doesn't seem to stick. I think it's the very limited ability tray and the clumsiness of swapping weapons constantly that makes me not enjoy it as much as it otherwise deserves to be. Strange since I mained ele in Guild Wars 2 and had no trouble managing 4 weapon trays of 5 skills each. It just worked so much better and so much more smoothly.
  • GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Kyleran said:
    None atm, but Phoenix rises in January.

;)

Is that a game?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    When you open a thread about MMORPGs but end up learning more about whales you'd realize how stagnate this genre has become.
    Either that or you realize how much Internet forums love to derail threads.
    ConstantineMerus
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

Did you know that the word "dork" really means whale dick. 

1. The blue whale's penis, or dork, is the largest that ever existed. The average size for an adult male is 5m (15ft). The testicules weigh 10kg (22 pounds). The blue whale can produce between 3 - 20 gallons of sperm during its mating season. 

2. A dork is a blue whale's penis. In today's slang, the word dork is used as an insult (geek, nerd) and many do not know where it comes from.
    1. Surfer: 'Whoa dude, look at the size of that whale cock!' 

2. Susan: 'Peter is such a dork, he works on friday nights.'
    ConstantineMerusAlBQuirky
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    On another note:

I'm playing Project Gorgon - because surprisingly I like the skill system even though the graphics suck (i'm supposedly a graphics whore) but then again, I may as well try BDO, maybe i'll fall in love with it. 

Then again, pay $30 for Project Gorgon or $5 for BDO or go play Subnautica for free . . . go go epic games

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'm mostly binging on single player games right now but I do log in to ESO almost daily.

It has been my go-to MMO for nearly 5 years simply because it has a great mix of class/open skill development. It doesn't provide as much diversity as it could for PvE where the cookie-cutter, FOTM builds rule the day but for PvP it's wide open and experimental wacky builds thrive.

And that's the other thing: PvP is segregated from PvE just like it was in DAoC. This is by far the best way for MMORPGs to do it.
    [Deleted User]KyleranConstantineMerusAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Quizzical said:
    Kritika Online, because if you're going to play an MMORPG that is mostly combat, you might as well at least pick one where the combat is good.  Nothing else in the game besides the combat is all that great, but neither is anything else bad enough to wreck the game.

How does Kritika compare to games like Closers and Soul Worker? 
  • syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    swtor. the sounds ambient and voice overs. is amazing. and the details.
    if you look past the now toxic community its a great game from the west.
    and its star wars !
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Asherons Call, because its the best.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Currently got back into FFXIV a few weeks ago, still one of the best theme park MMOs, after quitting last time a few weeks after Bloodstorm.  They really get content right, to come back to a plate heaping full of new content shows you get your money worth compared to many other subscription MMOS.  I enjoy it for the story more than anything.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Nothing at the moment.  I gave up WoW just before the last expansion.  WoW always seems to draw me back but this time I'm done.  It's been deleted from my computer and I have no interest in it.  Blizzard finally killed it for me.  I'm not even excited about Classic WoW.

For now, just playing single player games and doing other stuff with my added free time.  I'm just waiting for another MMO to capture me like CoH and WoW did when they first launched.  

I have cautious optimism for Pantheon but haven't committed any money to it yet.
    Mikeha said:
    Quizzical said:
    Kritika Online, because if you're going to play an MMORPG that is mostly combat, you might as well at least pick one where the combat is good.  Nothing else in the game besides the combat is all that great, but neither is anything else bad enough to wreck the game.

How does Kritika compare to games like Closers and Soul Worker? 
    Combat is a lot more similar to Soul Worker than it is to Closers.  I didn't get very far into SoulWorker (which seemed decent, but not as good as Kritika), and even less so into Closers (which was terrible).  Kritika is clearly fantasy, while the others are more science fiction.

Like both of those games, it's more lobby-based than open world.  Kritika also tries to be convenient.  It's quest grinding in a sense, but when you finish a dungeon, an NPC shows up to 

Kritika combat is very much based on not getting hit.  Other than bosses, most mobs move and attack slowly, but you'll often have to fight five or ten at once.  And they hit really hard.  Everything is dodgeable, but a lot of same level mobs can kill you in 3 or 4 hits.  Occasionally in just one.

Kritika also has an adjustable difficulty level, with greatly increased rewards for higher difficulty.  Hard isn't really that hard, but insane is.  Unlike most MMORPGs, the challenging content starts at level 5.  But you can always turn down the difficulty if you get stuck on something.
    Gorwe said:
    Quizzical said:
    By that logic, why not simplay Blade or TERA?
    Neither of those games are substantially similar to Kritika.  TERA seems like it could have had good combat, but then they tuned it to be stupidly easy to make sure that you always win.  If you want a challenge, you'll have to skip a bunch of content and take on stuff far above your level--and then get punished by the game for doing so.  Otherwise, they made it so that you could dodge most things, but what's the point if it takes you two hits to kill a mob and it takes the mob 20 hits to kill you?  In Kritika, unless you turn the difficulty way down, you'd better dodge most attacks or you'll end up dead in a hurry.

The controls in Kritika are also a whole lot smoother than in TERA.  Perhaps I should back up a bit and say that I use a controller, not keyboard and mouse.  But TERA is fairly awkward on a controller, while Kritika works much better.

By "Blade", I'm guessing that you meant Blade and Soul.  In Blade and Soul, it always felt like I was moving really slow.  Combat was based on which skills you use and when.  In Kritika, it's based heavily on movement, especially getting out of the way of enemy attacks, but also moving in to strike when it's safe.  Lengthy combos are important against some mobs, but impossible against others.

I'd argue that Kritika Online's combat is more similar to that of Spiral Knights than to either TERA or Blade and Soul, in spite of Spiral Knights being overhead view.  But Soul Worker, which Mikeha mentioned above, is a good comparison.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Nyctelios said:
    WoW because FF14 is almost 60bucks a month.
    Ill bite, why 60 a month?
    kryntok

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Elder Scrolls Online

because it is the greatest mmorpg EVER!

duh

Sz   :)
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    I rotate through a same short-list of MMORPGs throughout the year, every year. 
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited January 2019
    DMKano said:
    None.

When you realize that mmorpgs are a dead whales carcass that has fallen to the ocean floor and all that is left are the hagfish to feed on the carcass. 

I am simply done being one of the hagfish.

Moved on to single and multiplayer games.

Pretty much in agreement here, yet I still log into Wizard101 on occasion. It's a nice, slow paced MMO where one can join others in a single fight or group if wanting to or solo easily.

It has a terrible business model, if one doesn't subscribe (10/month), but I don't play often enough to warrant that subscription. Zones on world of the spiral cost money to unlock, boss chests cost money to loot and can be looted multiple times in one shot as long as you keep paying, permanent mounts and good housing (Dorm Room is free) cost money, and pets and their advancement cost a lot in terms of "buy potions to eliminate cool down times." The sub gets you the zones as long as you pay, but nothing else.

I'm currently trying to purchase all of the zones I want (basic game, no add on zones) so that I can play freely when I want to and so far $120 into it (over the past 3 years), with another $60 or more yet to spend (1 full world in the spiral and a couple of zones on the world I'm currently in). I did buy some mounts, housing, and items along the way for my wizards.

It is a fun game and I enjoy my time playing. I don't mind supporting them, but they rather ham-fisted about grabbing for your money.

Otherwise, you're spot on about the genre as a "hole" (spelled correctly when speaking of the state of MMOs).

PS: Forgot the last part. I am NOT part of the world and don't care about it. I'm there for my own enjoyment only.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    DMKano said:
    None.

When you realize that mmorpgs are a dead whales carcass that has fallen to the ocean floor and all that is left are the hagfish to feed on the carcass. 

I am simply done being one of the hagfish.

Moved on to single and multiplayer games.

Dead whales float due to gas buildup and are eaten by sharks and such. There are a few good youtube videos of dead whales exploding due to gas buildup.
    Where do the whales go after exploding? :lol:

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited January 2019
    ESO hits most of the RPG marks for me; style, class and character customization, setting, writing, and ambiance. Plus it’s already paid for so I can come and go as I please.

Been playing Grim Dawn for the last week or so and am very impressed so far.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.