Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I Just Unsubbed From WOW

NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
edited January 2019 in General Gaming
I just unsubbed from WOW.

I didn't want to, but I have principles. It's all very unfortunate and avoidable.

It wasn't because of BFA. It wasn't for the fox mount in the cash shop. It wasn't for executives jumping ship.

I unsubbed because of this:

I'm not paying you to police thoughts and emojis on other media platforms.

This applies to ALL companies and industries, but, I'll keep this thread about the gaming industry.

I don't pay them to lecture me on my race, sex, and personal opinions. I pay them to make games.

When you develop a game and all that you can boast about is virtue signaling instead of the actual game itself, it turns me off from buying it.

For example, Battlefield 5.

I never found an article about the actual gameplay and bringing anything new to BF5. No. 

What I did find over and over again, was how "inclusive and diverse" BF5 is. And also being told not to buy their games. So many people didn't. Hope they learned a lesson, but I doubt it. Hollywood hasn't, so why would the gaming industry?

Then you have EA employees making racist and sexist rants on social media. WTF? I'm just here to play games.

I play games as a hobby. To get away from real world problems. Not be lectured or punished by the thought police.

If they insist on forcing social issues unto me, I'll just leave for another game that doesn't or find a new hobby. Why should I fund my enemies?

It's for the same reason that I no longer give my money to:

EA
McDonalds
Starbucks
Pepsi Co
Home Depot
Most all new movies (especially remakes)
Cable has been turned off since 2005
Comic Books
Etc.
And anyone else that wants to open their mouths.

The best way to avoid bringing my principles into this, is quite easy. Just shut up and make games. That's it. And if your game is good, I'll keep giving you my money. 

I feel that others are doing the same for the same reasons. 

I choose to stand up for my principles and not fund my enemies.

tldr,

Get woke, go broke.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
adderVXIGdemamidefroststarswagholebartoni33IselinKylerannatpickPeajay123Lydonand 7 others.

Comments

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    edited January 2019
    So, in other words, you want games to cater to you and only you while forgetting that other people exist. Maybe you should quit whining about how people with views different than your own expressing them through a given medium and realize there are issues out there and you are not the center of the gaming universe. The publishers, for all their many faults, will be no better or worse off without you.

"I never found an article about the actual gameplay and bringing anything new to BF5. No."
    You must not have looked very hard. All the reviews I found were about how BFV was just boring.

and
    https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2018/12/06/battle-vatigue/
    SBFordPanther2103craftseekerhallucigenocideGdemamiInteritusRelampagok61977Maurgrimtweedledumb99and 1 other.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    It's depressing that gamers have such poor imagination that when they enter into a world where there are Dwarves,Elves or some odd clockwork robot or may be some aliens if it is a scifi world that we expect those creatures to follow human rules. 

We get upset when they fall in love or reproduce by mitosis. It is so offensive that writers of these stories have the audacity to imagine a world where there might be hermaphrodites or god forbid same sex relationships. This is so offensive that it is the reason to get upset when these creatures are so far from being human it is not even funny.

The problem here is the player and not the game.
    SBFordcraftseekerRelampagocheyane

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    NorseGod said:
    I just unsubbed from WOW.

I didn't want to, but I have principles. It's all very unfortunate and avoidable.

It wasn't because of BFA. It wasn't for the fox mount in the cash shop. It wasn't for executives jumping ship.

I unsubbed because of this:

I'm not paying you to police thoughts and emojis on other media platforms.

This applies to ALL companies and industries, but, I'll keep this thread about the gaming industry.

I don't pay them to lecture me on my race, sex, and personal opinions. I pay them to make games.

When you develop a game and all that you can boast about is virtue signaling instead of the actual game itself, it turns me off from buying it.

For example, Battlefield 5.

I never found an article about the actual gameplay and bringing anything new to BF5. No. 

What I did find over and over again, was how "inclusive and diverse" BF5 is. And also being told not to buy their games. So many people didn't. Hope they learned a lesson, but I doubt it. Hollywood hasn't, so why would the gaming industry?

Then you have EA employees making racist and sexist rants on social media. WTF? I'm just here to play games.

I play games as a hobby. To get away from real world problems. Not be lectured or punished by the thought police.

If they insist on forcing social issues unto me, I'll just leave for another game that doesn't or find a new hobby. Why should I fund my enemies?

It's for the same reason that I no longer give my money to:

EA
    McDonalds
    Starbucks
    Pepsi Co
    Home Depot
    Most all new movies (especially remakes)
    Cable has been turned off since 2005
    Comic Books
    Etc.
    And anyone else that wants to open their mouths.

The best way to avoid bringing my principles into this, is quite easy. Just shut up and make games. That's it. And if your game is good, I'll keep giving you my money. 

I feel that others are doing the same for the same reasons. 

I choose to stand up for my principles and not fund my enemies.

tldr,

Get woke, go broke.

Sounds like you're giving up on a lot in life.  Not just particular companies, but entire genres.  Soon you'll cut yourself off completely and spend your days sitting in a corner sucking your thumb.
    Panther2103craftseekerdefroststarKyleran[Deleted User]Caffynated
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Hear ye hear ye,,and i second the notion.

How often do we see anything passed onto us about a game's quality traits,instead of all the nonsense,telling us about their charity or their policing or some new cash shop item or some new dlc,a lot of real BS people operating these games.

They seem to miss the POINT of gaming.I has trickled down to gamer's now as well,try telling the young kids you play for fun,they respond with "your just shit at the game".They have NO CLUE wtf or why they even play games,this new generation of people and their mindsets is disturbing to watch unfold.
    Just look at Twitch,a stream to share the love of gaming right?WRONG,subscribe or your not allowed to talk in my channel..pathetic people.
    How about that recent Game Awards,,lmao that was ONLY there to make a bunch of people money by advertising sponsors games,it wasn't about awards.

This is likely why we see so much crap now,everything is an angle to make money,i see VERY little passion for gaming or playing it as a hobby.Gotta rank up gotta rank up,i must hit legend,i must be rank 1,this is no fun unless i am winning and i must win all the time!!.

natpick

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    I don't see the issue here. Unless i'm mistaken this is blizzard basically extending their in game COC to their official twitch Esports page. Please correct me if i have this fundamentally wrong.

I'm sure there are some people who are going to be mad that they can no longer shit post and spam twitch chat but screw them, they aren't worth keeping in a community anyway. That said, I don't play any Blizz games and think twitch is highly overrated, I have no interest in watching a bunch of paid shills act like dancing monkeys for the coins thrown at them by their mindless audiences.  YMMV
    craftseekerPanther2103defroststarSBFordKyleranAethaerynThupliRelampagocheyanek61977and 1 other.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    They exist because people keep buying it.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    kitarad said:
    It's depressing that gamers have such poor imagination that when they enter into a world where there are Dwarves,Elves or some odd clockwork robot or may be some aliens if it is a scifi world that we expect those creatures to follow human rules. 

We get upset when they fall in love or reproduce by mitosis. It is so offensive that writers of these stories have the audacity to imagine a world where there might be hermaphrodites or god forbid same sex relationships. This is so offensive that it is the reason to get upset when these creatures are so far from being human it is not even funny.

The problem here is the player and not the game.
    Look, I'm ok with you not having a problem with any of the racism, sexism, and thought police. I'm just saying that I do. 

If you read comments to many of these articles and videos. You would see that many of them don't have a problem with "hermaphrodites".

The problem that I have and other people commenting on those articles and videos is with, to paraphrase, "We're adding [insert demographic/social justice cause] because F*** straight White males!".

I don't care what you support with your money. But, I'm not eating at a place with a sign "No Blacks Allowed". Nor will I give my money to a business that says "F*** White males".

Now they want to ban people for what emojis they use on Twitch?

Studios stock is dropping further. Sales have dropped. Their behavior can't be good for business.
    GdemamiKylerannatpickThupli
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Im not going to get in  big discussions here, but, OP i couldnt agree more!

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    raaargh! don't have political agendas that goes against mine!!

"I choose to stand up for my principles and not fund my enemies.

tldr,

Get woke, go broke."

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Their stuff, their rules.  I would rather these companies decide how to police their own communities before the government gets involved.  
    I don't see the issue here. Unless i'm mistaken this is blizzard basically extending their in game COC to their official twitch Esports page. Please correct me if i have this fundamentally wrong.

I'm sure there are some people who are going to be mad that they can no longer shit post and spam twitch chat but screw them, they aren't worth keeping in a community anyway. That said, I don't play any Blizz games and think twitch is highly overrated, I have no interest in watching a bunch of paid shills act like dancing monkeys for the coins thrown at them by their mindless audiences.  YMMV
    You don't have it wrong. However, people against this believe that this won't end there.

The genre is dying according to financials.
    People are being divided for stupid reasons that has nothing to do with gaming.
    We're allowing corporations the power to dictate was is and is not socially acceptable.
    Gdemami
  • Dick1232Dick1232 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    So quit and move on. Why do people insist on telling people they re leaving a game for any reason. Really, who the fuck cares.
    defroststarSBFordKyleranWenchesnmeadcheyanek61977tweedledumb99
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    NorseGod said:

You don't have it wrong. However, people against this believe that this won't end there.

The genre is dying according to financials.
    People are being divided for stupid reasons that has nothing to do with gaming.
    We're allowing corporations the power to dictate was is and is not socially acceptable.
    Corporations who run games, can dictate what is and is not acceptable in their games. It's their property to do what they would like with.
    NorseGodcraftseekerGdemamiThuplicheyanek61977tweedledumb99
  • Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Dick1232 said:
    So quit and move on. Why do people insist on telling people they re leaving a game for any reason. Really, who the fuck cares.
    For the same reason you made this post. To be heard. It isn't like their opinion is any less valid than yours.
    defroststarNorseGodSandmanjwcraftseekerGdemamiKyleranLydontweedledumb99

NorseGod said:

Corporations who run games, can dictate what is and is not acceptable in their games. It's their property to do what they would like with.
    Except, now it's going outside their games and corporations.

But, I agree 100%.

Just sharing why I'm not giving them my money and they can't make me. Yay Free Market Society.

SandmanjwGdemami
    Dick1232 said:
    If they need to go out of their way to lecture me on social issues, then I'll go out of my way to tell them why I'm leaving.

Plus, I don't want anyone to think because I didn't say anything means I consent.
    Dick1232Gdemami
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited January 2019
    What I'm sort of befuddled by is how it is that you believe Blizzard is saying, "f*ck white guys" simply for asking people to tie Twitch & Battle.Net accounts together? Is cussing and abusive spamming of a Twitch channel the sole domain of caucasian males? O.o

Blizzard
    1 Blizzard Way, Irvine, CA 92618
    (949) 955-1380

Activision-Blizzard
    3100 Ocean Park Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90405
    (310) 255-2000

That said, if you really want your voice to be heard, it won't be here. You need to call Blizzard HQ or the Overwatch League offices or Activision-Blizzard headquarters. Or write a letter to the same. Believe me when I tell you that MMORPG.com is far below Blizzard's notice. :D
    NorseGodKyleranRelampagocheyane

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

NorseGod said:
    Dick1232 said:
    If they need to go out of their way to lecture me on social issues, then I'll go out of my way to tell them why I'm leaving.

Plus, I don't want anyone to think because I didn't say anything means I consent.
    OMG, seriously, make a mountain out of a mole hill. Relax life will go on. As I said , quit and move on. No one cares.
    Ihatedaybreakgames
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited January 2019
    I agree Blizzard / Activision has recently been a disgrace.

Subscriber Only mode is stupid I disagree with it.

I also disagree with the way they have done COD Black OPS bought the game played very little like PUBG more because of the way the season pass is locked behind pay wall with like Zero Customizations.
    GdemamiPalebane
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I think moderation could be better but not like this. I don't like linking my gaming accounts with other services. When I watch Twitch, which is only occasionally, i don't even log in so chat is completely irrelevant to me. However, if I do take the time to log in it's to follow the streamer then log out and keep watching.
    NorseGod

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    I take it you won't be moving to China anytime soon.
    SBFordNorseGodPalebaneThupli
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Dick1232 said:
    For the same reason you made this post. To be heard. It isn't like their opinion is any less valid than yours.
    Not at all actually. Could care less if anyone hears me. I m just very interested to why anyone thinks , anyone cares they re leaving a game for any reason at all. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited January 2019
    Don't blame Blizzard. 

I have no idea if what I am about to share has impacted Blizzard, but I can't imagine it hasn't by now. Also, what I am about to share is not verified, I am sharing "hear-say" So, I won't say it's absolutely true (Choose for yourself)

A few fairly known bloggers have basically said this on a few of their videos. So, here's what's been happening on Youtube.

If you have heard of "Sargon of Akkad" He is a youtuber who got de-platformed because he lost his Youtube funding and his Patron account for making hateful statements.

Some conservative political Youtubers also using Patreon became concerned. So tried to have discussions with Patron to establish exactly what they can and cannot say since Patron's EULA is somewhat vague. They are also trying to come up with alternatives to patron, when they approached 2 other competitors to Patreon, all the sudden, those doors were slammed in their faces as well.

Dave Rubin and Jordan Peterson are 2 of the bigger names involved in this, are discontinuing Patreon and are attempting to come up with their own form of funding. 

However, there is a bigger fish to fry. As they soon discovered through discussions with Patron, there is pressure from the big financials like MC and Visa. Which explained why the other 2 smaller Patron competitors wouldn't allow them to open accounts.

Turns out, MasterCard and Visa have been getting legal pressure by activists and are being threatened with lawsuits because they financed and funded the guns of some of the psychos who bought their guns using credit cards before committing the mass shootings.

Now the banks are looking very closely at online services and are pressuring anyone using their funding services who provide interactive media to police anything that can be linked to terrorism including hate-speech.

This isn't going anywhere anytime soon people. Blizzard knows this ideology is going to irritate players, but MasterCard refusing to fund Blizzard's customer base is worse.
    MadFrenchieGdemamiNorseGodThupli
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    NorseGod said:

You say you do but you obviously don't.

You're leaving a game you play not because of anything that game did or didn't do but because the company did something in the real world that rubs you the wrong way... and on the way out the door you want to lecture them.

Sounds to me like you bring your own real world problems into games not the other way around.
    KajidourdenSBFordKyleranNorseGodWenchesnmeadRelampagocheyanetweedledumb99
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Iselin said:
    NorseGod said:

You say you do but you obviously don't.

You're leaving a game you play not because of anything that game did or didn't do but because the company did something in the real world that rubs you the wrong way... and on the way out the door you want to lecture them.

Sounds to me like you bring your own real world problems into games not the other way around.
    This, definitely. 
    SBFordWenchesnmeadRelampagotweedledumb99
This discussion has been closed.