Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it Time for Guild Wars 3?

Comments

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Aeander said:

Mensur said:

Yes! Guildwars 3 - GW 1 with updated graphics! 

Guild Wars 1 Remastered would be perfect. I would buy 10 copies.

Imo. GW1 was way ahead of it's time. I bet it would be one of the more popular tiwtch games with it's very good and watchable pvp systems. GW3 should be much closer to the 1st than 2nd imo.
    [Deleted User]Aeander
  • AlmostLancelotAlmostLancelot Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Yes, it is.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    QSatu said:

Aeander said:

Mensur said:

Yes! Guildwars 3 - GW 1 with updated graphics! 

Guild Wars 1 Remastered would be perfect. I would buy 10 copies.

Imo. GW1 was way ahead of it's time. I bet it would be one of the more popular tiwtch games with it's very good and watchable pvp systems. GW3 should be much closer to the 1st than 2nd imo.
    I just miss having that incredible build system. I've never seen an RPG with such respect for the player's intelligence before or since.
    Thupli
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Yes. Bring it.
  • AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    No need for GW3 right now. We have lots to do with the two expansions and live season updates. The game is still good and refreshing! However, if they're making GW3 then please make it more like GW1 but with all the good stuffs from GW2 (i like being able to have 2nd profession)
    Asch126

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    I would say stay with GW2 work on the engine little more before a GW3 so many not open yet. In how much people expect from them would cost them 800mil + just to make.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    edited January 2019

Aeander said:

I can't see a plausible scenario in which they become a quasi MMO or revert to instances. 

The only gameplay incentive to do so is to return to GW1 style teambuilding, but this is unlikely. Gaming, and especially MMOs aren't moving in the direction of more intellectual complexity, but rather less.

The only trends I'm seeing in the MMO space right now are moves towards PvP and dynamic content, both of which are very in character for Guild Wars.

I could see instances if they go tablet/chromebook and mobile. Or if they end up remasting GW1 for tablet and chromebook. But it would be GW:M not gw3.
  • DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212

Im going to say yes to GW3 provided its a bit more like the original Guild Wars

Nope, hard pass. I hated the AI team so much.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    I think up to this point, a GW3 with is near GW1 in features and complexity would be a blessing to this depthless mmo stagnation. Also, i wouldnt mind if you could play it also mobile, with the same complexity.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    People asking for complexity are probably the same ones complaining when the game has complexity.

I played both GW1 and GW2, and I still do, but both games are products of their time. GW1 was not and never will be an mmo, it was a lobby game with the cities and outposts being the lobby areas. Also the balance in GW1 was terrible, 50 HP monk or invulv assassin were just 2 of the ludicrous exploit builds used.

GW2, on the other hand, is not perfect either but, at least it is not a game based on equipment level, like so many others(cough WOW cough). It is a real mmo that does have drips and drabs of what everyone wants, but that may be the issue. Every gamer thinks they know what the perfect mmo is and guess what, their is no such beast.

Should they make a GW3? It is up to A.net. They did decent,so far, with the games they made so why not try for the last part of a trifecta.
    NorrthmanAeander

• WisemanFairWisemanFair Member CommonPosts: 1
    The biggest problem with creating a Guild Wars 3 that I see being overlooked in both the article and the comments is that, at its core, Guild Wars 2 is an incomplete game.

When GW2 first came out, we were promised 6 elder dragon fights. We've gotten 1. I don't count the boring 20 minute click spam and cut scene that was the death of Zaitan and the original story. We got to FIGHT Mordrimoth and KILL him.

We were robbed of our chance to fight Primordus or Jormag when the Balthazar storyline sucked out their power using Taimi's machine and put them back to sleep.

Now, after both Balthazar and Joko storylines are finished, we have the chance for a truly epic Kralkatorik fight. Hopefully the new expansion delivers. After that, however, we still have the underwater dragon "S..."

This last dragon is in charge of an as yet overlooked storyline. This is of the Quaggans, Krait, and the mysterious Largos. All three races have been forced from their underwater homes by the as-yet unseen forces of the underwater dragon. There is SO much content that could be drawn from just this. The use of quaggan and Largos as playable races (perhaps even a good-aligned faction of krait?), the introduction of underwater mounts and not-impossible-to-get underwater helmets, underwater cities and maps and environments, etc.

In addition, the underwater dragon is the main thing stopping contact with Cantha. Once this dragon is defeated, ALL of Cantha could be opened as additional content.

What content in Cantha? Why not a continent spanning rebellion against the Ministry of Purity that had formed at the end of the GW1 story. This could allow us to use Tengu as a playable race. We could see the reversal of the Jade Sea back into water, the unity of the Luxon and Kurzik clans, the revival of the celestial spirits and of the Weh o Su. The possibilities exist for years of living world content in Cantha along with the main story against the Ministry of Purity.

I do not, of course, overlook the VAST quantities of locked map space of northern, western, and central Tyria. The Kodan could become a playable race as we venture into the north and northeast corner of Tyria. Retaking the old Norn homelands and the Kodan lands above even those. The Eye of the North in GW2, which is only accessed through the GW1 achievement crossover, could be reinvented as the hub of a Norn/Kodan resettlement storyline.

In western and north-western tyria we have a reclaiming of Ascalon and the Charr homelands. We could finally resolve the King Adledbrains storyline and Logan Thackeray could ascend to the Throne of Ascalon seeing as how he is the only living person with any tracable liniage to a pre-searing/pre-foefire Ascalonian heritage (meaning Gwen; yes she wasn't royal but the whole royal line of Ascalon died with Adelbern and Gwen became a Legendary leader of her people in GW1.) Also, Logan being the King of Ascalon would finally allow him to get over his emo ass and marry Queen Jennah.

THEN, we turn our attention to central Tryria where we have the massive locked areas in the Deldrimor Mountains. Can you say "resurgence of the Dwarven people"? That's right. While in GW2, Ogden would have you believe that the dwarven race all died, the events in GW1 show that they really all turned into living-stone versions of themselves and drove themselves deep underground to fight Primordus. Now that Primordus (who was located northeast of the Eye of the North in GW1) has not only moved to the Chain of Fire Islands, but also been put back to sleep thanks to Taimi's machine; there is nothing to say that Ogden was wrong and the rest of the Dwarven race comes up from the depths to reclaim their ancestral homeland (currently controlled by the Dedge.)

With so much left unexplored and undone in Guild Wars 2, it is a shame that people are already trying to move on to a new game of the same title. NO GW3 until GW2 is finished in my opinion.
  • cesmodecesmode Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited January 2019
    Id love for Arenanet to make a Guild Wars 3, but also, maybe first to hold us over until then...a third and final expansion to GW2 culminating everything.

In some ways, GW2 lacks substantial rewarding things to do on a day to day basis. But then there is the argument that you can do whatever you want. Yes, but cant I do that in any other MMO? Honestly, after you're done leveling a bunch of chars, gearing them, pvp'ing/WvW, you get into a niche of things you like to do and do it ad nauseum. And for a lot of people, its making gold so you can get another legendary. And thats tiring.

Yeah, Id welcome GW3. On a side note: I hope that the staff and mods of their forums ease up. Twice now I have left the game (first time was for 4 years, this time now a few months) because forum moderation on the GW2 site is so strict. I like to go to the forums to help people out and talk about the game. And then get warned for going off topic. ???
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    I wouldnt mind if GW2 crashes and burn.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    You know I want to play Guild Wars again but my inventory is totally full and I dare not delete anything because they are yearly gifts and I cannot make another character  so I log in and then give up. I would love another game like it in fact if anyone recognises my avatar they would know it's from Guild Wars.
    Chamber of Chains
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    edited January 2019

member when area net promised there would be no gear grind in gw2? oh yeah i member....

As far as grinding goes, Gw2 has by far the smallest in all MMOs. You can get exotics in handful of hours after buying the game as long as you know what you are doing. Exotics are good enough for most of the content in the game. Hardcore content like raids and higher level fractals require ascended gear, but anything below is a fair game.
    I remember back at launch all those years ago I think I was in full exotics (top-tier gear at the time) in about a week with a maxed out hero. Back then the Auction house wasn't working even ... so I had to actually mine the stuff i needed or make dungeon runs, which were a lot more fun at launch than they are now.
    Somewhere along the way they lost that though. The game is pretty streamlined toward grinding lately.
    edited January 2019
    People want GW1? Really? As much as I liked the game, I felt the imbalance in the game was what hurt the game the most. Also it was totally instanced except for the lobby, which what the towns and outposts along the way.

I think GW3 would be good as long as A.Net understands not to over promise and under deliver. GW2 is still going, mostly because you buy once you can play forever. My guild is still playing and going strong.

edited January 2019
    botrytis said:
    People want GW1? Really? As much as I liked the game, I felt the imbalance in the game was what hurt the game the most. Also it was totally instanced except for the lobby, which what the towns and outposts along the way.

I think GW3 would be good as long as A.Net understands not to over promise and under deliver. GW2 is still going, mostly because you buy once you can play forever. My guild is still playing and going strong.
    Yes I want Guild Wars 1. You can say what you want because that is your opinion, but Guild Wars 1 was my personal best game of all time.

You can call it imbalanced, and I'll laugh. Almost every game is imbalanced, many far worse than Guild Wars was. Guild Wars 2 is also severely, laughably imbalanced, without having one tenth of the flexibility of Guild Wars 1.

Or are you going to pretend that every class in Guild Wars 2 doesn't have useless or very niche utilities and entire weapons and trait lines? 

Are you going to pretend that PvP in Guild Wars 2 is anything other than a glass cannon burst fest with Druids and Spellbreakers being laughably overpowered?

Are you going to pretend that WvW in its entirety is an even remotely healthy mode?

Are you going to pretend that PvE, outside of raids, has ever been anything other than glass cannon teams exploiting stacking and other positioning inadequacies to cheese dungeons/fractals?

So yes, I want Guild Wars 1. In every way possible, outside of graphics and exploration, I would rather have Guild Wars 1.

At least in Guild Wars 1, missions were designed to be intellectually engaging. At least in Guild Wars 1, dungeons were well designed and engaging. At least in Guild Wars 1, prestigious drops were actually rare and not just months long, boring wood/ore/material grinds. At least in Guild Wars 1, armor sets didn't constantly clip with everything. At least in Guild Wars 1, PvP and Faction PvP were actually good and interesting.
    Asch126cheyanemmolou
    edited January 2019
    Aeander said:
    botrytis said:

Yes I want Guild Wars 1. You can say what you want because that is your opinion, but Guild Wars 1 was my personal best game of all time.

You can call it imbalanced, and I'll laugh. Almost every game is imbalanced, many far worse than Guild Wars was. Guild Wars 2 is also severely, laughably imbalanced, without having one tenth of the flexibility of Guild Wars 1.

Or are you going to pretend that every class in Guild Wars 2 doesn't have useless or very niche utilities and entire weapons and trait lines? 

Are you going to pretend that PvP in Guild Wars 2 is anything other than a glass cannon burst fest with Druids and Spellbreakers being laughably overpowered?

Are you going to pretend that WvW in its entirety is an even remotely healthy mode?

Are you going to pretend that PvE, outside of raids, has ever been anything other than glass cannon teams exploiting stacking and other positioning inadequacies to cheese dungeons/fractals?

So yes, I want Guild Wars 1. In every way possible, outside of graphics and exploration, I would rather have Guild Wars 1.

At least in Guild Wars 1, missions were designed to be intellectually engaging. At least in Guild Wars 1, dungeons were well designed and engaging. At least in Guild Wars 1, prestigious drops were actually rare and not just months long, boring wood/ore/material grinds. At least in Guild Wars 1, armor sets didn't constantly clip with everything. At least in Guild Wars 1, PvP and Faction PvP were actually good and interesting.
    GW1 is WAY more imbalanced the GW2 would ever be. Why? It is due to the dual professions and the unintended synergies that can happen between them. HP 55 Assassin? That was one. 

GW1, by A.Net's own admission, when talking about GW2, said that the addition of new professions caused harm to the game (meaning that using them as 2ndary professions was the problem).

I never use meta-game builds, as it is nonsense and just makes people not think about how the profession works. Yes, I have one of every profession and take them into WvW often (and I don't mean EotM). WvW does need help, but it is not as unhealthy as you state. Try a grieving armor SB for some fun in WvW for small group roaming. It is quite fun.

GW1, except for the first chapter, were horrid in how the chapters told the story. GW2 is a little better but only a little. 

Clipping? GW1 had issues and still does with clipping. Necro armor, cape clipping, etc. I think you are waxing poetic for something that never really was GW1.

Aeander

edited January 2019
    botrytis said:
    Aeander said:
    botrytis said:

GW1 is WAY more imbalanced the GW2 would ever be. Why? It is due to the dual professions and the unintended synergies that can happen between them. HP 55 Assassin? That was one. 

GW1, by A.Net's own admission, when talking about GW2, said that the addition of new professions caused harm to the game (meaning that using them as 2ndary professions was the problem).

I never use meta-game builds, as it is nonsense and just makes people not think about how the profession works. Yes, I have one of every profession and take them into WvW often (and I don't mean EotM). WvW does need help, but it is not as unhealthy as you state. Try a grieving armor SB for some fun in WvW for small group roaming. It is quite fun.

GW1, except for the first chapter, were horrid in how the chapters told the story. GW2 is a little better but only a little. 

Clipping? GW1 had issues and still does with clipping. Necro armor, cape clipping, etc. I think you are waxing poetic for something that never really was GW1.

No, GW2 really isn't substantially more balanced. Not when it has entire weapon sets (like Warrior Rifle) that flat out don't see use. Not when it has entire trait lines (like Revenant's Retribution line) that don't see use. Not when there are utilities or even entire branches of utilities that don't see use. Not when a majority of the game's gear stat combinations may as well not even exist.

The undeniable fact is that Guild Wars 2 sacrificed a majority of the buffs, debuffs, and mechanics that allowed for skill variety to exist in the first game for the purpose of balance, and still fails at it miserably. When you cut out the pool of weapons, traits, and skills that are considered non-viable, you're basically left without any substantial variety.

Also, builds like the 55 hp Monk aren't failures. They're a testament to the sheer scope of possibilities that the GW1 build system offers. They're an incarnation of player ingenuity, and they represent pure, unfettered RPG freedom in a way that does not harm the game substantially. They weren't viable in PvP or even a majority of regular content, and existed solely to farm specific objectives (which in the more extreme cases were often patched with boon-stripping mobs to address the situation anyway). 

What is actually happening here is that you are taking your opinion of a game and projecting it onto others. You believe that because it has failings in your eyes, that any positive regard for the game is just blind nostalgia.
    [Deleted User]mmolou
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Aeander said:
    botrytis said:

No, GW2 really isn't substantially more balanced. Not when it has entire weapon sets (like Warrior Rifle) that flat out don't see use. Not when it has entire trait lines (like Revenant's Retribution line) that don't see use. Not when there are utilities or even entire branches of utilities that don't see use. Not when a majority of the game's gear stat combinations may as well not even exist.

The undeniable fact is that Guild Wars 2 sacrificed a majority of the buffs, debuffs, and mechanics that allowed for skill variety to exist in the first game for the purpose of balance, and still fails at it miserably. When you cut out the pool of weapons, traits, and skills that are considered non-viable, you're basically left without any substantial variety.

Also, builds like the 55 hp Monk aren't failures. They're a testament to the sheer scope of possibilities that the GW1 build system offers. They're an incarnation of player ingenuity, and they represent pure, unfettered RPG freedom in a way that does not harm the game substantially. They weren't viable in PvP or even a majority of regular content, and existed solely to farm specific objectives (which in the more extreme cases were often patched with boon-stripping mobs to address the situation anyway). 

What is actually happening here is that you are taking your opinion of a game and projecting it onto others. You believe that because it has failings in your eyes, that any positive regard for the game is just blind nostalgia.
    Warrior Rifle has been good at times, and bad at times, most especially in PvP. At one point it was "meta" but like everything in GW2, it's subject to change.  Just like how Engineer Turrets were once an amazingly viable option in PvP and PvE, but now they aren't.  

As the article says, over the years they've changed a lot. Remember when conditions weren't even really all that powerful? Then they overcorrected, burn guards and burn engies were top of the top. Now it's a little more balanced, only because they had to up the amount of condi clears to compensate.

GW2 had a lot more options when it launched in terms of build variety. You could use bits and pieces out of each trait line if you wanted, to create something really unique.  Then they changed it to streamline things, and you were forced to take entire trait lines. 

Granted skills were still skills, and the specializations really killed the variety you could have, because you had to slot the correct specialization to use the skill, which makes sense, sure, but it they also haven't added new skills for the original professions, like, ever, which essentially makes a lot of classes feel stale, with only minor balancing updates that wildly changes what is viable and what isn't from month to month on GW2.

That being said, the only good thing about GW1 was the skill bar variety. Apart from that, the combat itself wasn't as fun, not nearly as active, the dodging and fluidity, which includes jumping and better navigation, really catches my fancy much more than GW1.  The world, the exploration, and the scope of how they did GW2 was far and away better than GW1. No instanced worlds, no lobby stuff (and I don't hate lobby games, phantasy star online is one of my all time faves). 

There's a lot they could still do in GW3, and as it's been 7 years between the launch of GW1 and GW2, 7 years from GW2 to GW3 sounds about right.  I'd like to say I want them to take everything they learned from 1 and 2 to make 3,  but it seems like they still haven't learned enough from gw2 yet... at least.. what they've learned aren't things I'd want to see in a new game just yet. 

edited January 2019
    Aeander said:
    botrytis said:

Warrior Rifle has been good at times, and bad at times, most especially in PvP. At one point it was "meta" but like everything in GW2, it's subject to change.  Just like how Engineer Turrets were once an amazingly viable option in PvP and PvE, but now they aren't.  

As the article says, over the years they've changed a lot. Remember when conditions weren't even really all that powerful? Then they overcorrected, burn guards and burn engies were top of the top. Now it's a little more balanced, only because they had to up the amount of condi clears to compensate.

GW2 had a lot more options when it launched in terms of build variety. You could use bits and pieces out of each trait line if you wanted, to create something really unique.  Then they changed it to streamline things, and you were forced to take entire trait lines. 

Granted skills were still skills, and the specializations really killed the variety you could have, because you had to slot the correct specialization to use the skill, which makes sense, sure, but it they also haven't added new skills for the original professions, like, ever, which essentially makes a lot of classes feel stale, with only minor balancing updates that wildly changes what is viable and what isn't from month to month on GW2.

That being said, the only good thing about GW1 was the skill bar variety. Apart from that, the combat itself wasn't as fun, not nearly as active, the dodging and fluidity, which includes jumping and better navigation, really catches my fancy much more than GW1.  The world, the exploration, and the scope of how they did GW2 was far and away better than GW1. No instanced worlds, no lobby stuff (and I don't hate lobby games, phantasy star online is one of my all time faves). 

There's a lot they could still do in GW3, and as it's been 7 years between the launch of GW1 and GW2, 7 years from GW2 to GW3 sounds about right.  I'd like to say I want them to take everything they learned from 1 and 2 to make 3,  but it seems like they still haven't learned enough from gw2 yet... at least.. what they've learned aren't things I'd want to see in a new game just yet. 
    There was no time period in which conditions were not strong, if not overpowered in PvP. From a strictly PvE perspective, conditions spent the entire first two years of the game being useless due to their caps.

I would actually take GW1 combat. I preferred being tested on my build, teamwork, and execution of that build, not my reflexes. And that's the thing. Especially in PvP, GW2 combat is a reflex test, and that isn't going to be appealing to everyone. Guild Wars 1 had reflex intensive builds like interrupt Mesmers/Rangers to reward the more mechanically inclined players, but it also had incredible gratifying strategic gameplay for players like myself, which Guild Wars 2 lacks almost entirely.

Not to mention that if you aren't a dps player, a majority of Guild Wars 2's content isn't designed to be satisfying for your playstyle anyway. I'm a debuffer by nature, and I have no place in the game's role dynamic, whereas I had a strong place in Guild Wars 1.

And lobbies aren't a negative when used properly, which Guild Wars did. I liked being challenged to build my team for entire missions/maps/dungeons beforehand. I liked having difficulty options for every open world map. I liked having instances. They lend themselves to an entirely different style of play that doesn't really exist in this open world era of gaming.
    Aeander said:

There was no time period in which conditions were not strong, if not overpowered in PvP. From a strictly PvE perspective, conditions spent the entire first two years of the game being useless due to their caps.

I would actually take GW1 combat. I preferred being tested on my build, teamwork, and execution of that build, not my reflexes. And that's the thing. Especially in PvP, GW2 combat is a reflex test, and that isn't going to be appealing to everyone. Guild Wars 1 had reflex intensive builds like interrupt Mesmers/Rangers to reward the more mechanically inclined players, but it also had incredible gratifying strategic gameplay for players like myself, which Guild Wars 2 lacks almost entirely.

Not to mention that if you aren't a dps player, a majority of Guild Wars 2's content isn't designed to be satisfying for your playstyle anyway. I'm a debuffer by nature, and I have no place in the game's role dynamic, whereas I had a strong place in Guild Wars 1.

And lobbies aren't a negative when used properly, which Guild Wars did. I liked being challenged to build my team for entire missions/maps/dungeons beforehand. I liked having difficulty options for every open world map. I liked having instances. They lend themselves to an entirely different style of play that doesn't really exist in this open world era of gaming.
    Due to condition caps at the beginning, conditions weren't strong in PvP unless you could stack multiple conditions of various types, not more of the same, which again, was due to condition caps, and due to some of the other things, such as staff being largely viable still for elementalists, and turrets being viable for engineers, conditions rarely affected PvP players with either on the team.  Increasing that cap was great, in theory, and now it's become an option for many classes, but, that's also because they nerfed defensive builds.  You used to be able to bunker with several classes, almost all of them actually, now you only have about 4 or so viable ones in PvP and they ALL use specializations. 

It's clear we both have different opinions on what good combat entails, I like way more active combat. Games like GW2 and DCUO that require dexterity and reflexes are something I really enjoy, even if I'm not as quick as I once was. I understand what you mean as a role as a debuffer, you really have very few choices in GW2, at least in the sense that the debuffs you can apply mean very little in the grand scheme of things.  

As a guy who loves to primarily play support roles,  I play a healer in DCUO, a controller in COH, and, originally, on launch a Celestial Staff Elementalist in GW2, it took me a while to find my place in GW2, and back when celestial gear was actually somewhat viable, I was happy to be able to do a little bit of everything adequately, if not one thing exceptionally.  Now that build is somewhat dead, and it's really a shame.  Staff is pretty much useless for ele's now in any competitive play, unless you want to pretend you make some kind of difference as a back line WvW damage dealer. 

I'd like to see changes made, but I don't think they'll ever come in GW2. 

Aeander said:

Due to condition caps at the beginning, conditions weren't strong in PvP unless you could stack multiple conditions of various types, not more of the same, which again, was due to condition caps, and due to some of the other things, such as staff being largely viable still for elementalists, and turrets being viable for engineers, conditions rarely affected PvP players with either on the team.  Increasing that cap was great, in theory, and now it's become an option for many classes, but, that's also because they nerfed defensive builds.  You used to be able to bunker with several classes, almost all of them actually, now you only have about 4 or so viable ones in PvP and they ALL use specializations. 

It's clear we both have different opinions on what good combat entails, I like way more active combat. Games like GW2 and DCUO that require dexterity and reflexes are something I really enjoy, even if I'm not as quick as I once was. I understand what you mean as a role as a debuffer, you really have very few choices in GW2, at least in the sense that the debuffs you can apply mean very little in the grand scheme of things.  

As a guy who loves to primarily play support roles,  I play a healer in DCUO, a controller in COH, and, originally, on launch a Celestial Staff Elementalist in GW2, it took me a while to find my place in GW2, and back when celestial gear was actually somewhat viable, I was happy to be able to do a little bit of everything adequately, if not one thing exceptionally.  Now that build is somewhat dead, and it's really a shame.  Staff is pretty much useless for ele's now in any competitive play, unless you want to pretend you make some kind of difference as a back line WvW damage dealer. 

I'd like to see changes made, but I don't think they'll ever come in GW2. 
    Obviously we have different combat preferences.

I don't consider Guild Wars 2's combat to be bad per say, but even if I'm looking for an action combat system, it's no Blade and Soul in that regard (though Blade and Soul's ONLY positive trait is its combat). It just isn't intellectually interesting in any regard. There aren't really many decisions to be made, and that isn't exactly gratifying to me. 

And as far as reflexes go, GW2 has effectively evicted people like me out of PvP entirely. I still had a place back in the first couple years when every class could bunker and players like myself could run soldier's or celestial amulets and take hits. Now, everything is just a ridiculous twitch fest where the only "bunkers" that exist are those that do so through heals and active blocking/evasion as opposed to the traditional tank bunkers that I favored back in the day. I have no place in PvP anymore and I hate it.

Another problem is that Guild Wars 2 doesn't really offer much in the way of playstyle changes. If I want to play the game substantially differently, I have to roll another class/specialization (which is exactly what I've done with my many, many alts), whereas in GW1, I could change my playstyle as often as I wanted, with near infinite possibilities, and often with little or no new gear investment required.

I've still played Guild Wars 2 for a ridiculous sum of thousands of hours, but only for the things at which Guild Wars 2 excels - exploration, story, fashion wars, and weekly raids. I have no interest in the high end daily Fractals grind, PvP, or WvW anymore, because these content streams aren't compelling to me with the GW2 combat system and balance.
    maskedweasel
    Aeander said:

Obviously we have different combat preferences.

I don't consider Guild Wars 2's combat to be bad per say, but even if I'm looking for an action combat system, it's no Blade and Soul in that regard (though Blade and Soul's ONLY positive trait is its combat). It just isn't intellectually interesting in any regard. There aren't really many decisions to be made, and that isn't exactly gratifying to me. 

And as far as reflexes go, GW2 has effectively evicted people like me out of PvP entirely. I still had a place back in the first couple years when every class could bunker and players like myself could run soldier's or celestial amulets and take hits. Now, everything is just a ridiculous twitch fest where the only "bunkers" that exist are those that do so through heals and active blocking/evasion as opposed to the traditional tank bunkers that I favored back in the day. I have no place in PvP anymore and I hate it.

Another problem is that Guild Wars 2 doesn't really offer much in the way of playstyle changes. If I want to play the game substantially differently, I have to roll another class/specialization (which is exactly what I've done with my many, many alts), whereas in GW1, I could change my playstyle as often as I wanted, with near infinite possibilities, and often with little or no new gear investment required.

I've still played Guild Wars 2 for a ridiculous sum of thousands of hours, but only for the things at which Guild Wars 2 excels - exploration, story, fashion wars, and weekly raids. I have no interest in the high end daily Fractals grind, PvP, or WvW anymore, because these content streams aren't compelling to me with the GW2 combat system and balance.
    I've been a sPVP hound for a long time, often ranked in the top 100 in the first couple years, and still break into platinum ranks from time to time, but I haven't seriously played it in a while.  I get so tired of seeing the same builds rehashed from Metabattle over and over. To that end, I'm with you when it comes to build variety in GW1. 

I worked pretty hard getting all celestial stuff in PvE (ascended), and then when that build went under, I haven't been excited to transition to other gear, so I just play other characters.

After a while it does feel trivial, logging in to do.. who knows what.  I may be back for this season, will definitely come back for the new expansion, but, I'm bored of playing the same builds for the same classes, theorycrafting only to find out that a lot of what I'm doing will never be as viable simply due to the imbalances brought on by the specializations. In that way, I hope they do bring back the skill ideas from GW1... but if we've learned anything over the years, it's been that Arenanet favors streamlining to complexity.. I believe they feel choices are the bane of the casual player. 

edited January 2019
    Also, while I think that criticisms of Guild Wars 1's storytelling are valid, I think this largely comes down to presentation, not content.

The cutscenes used in Guild Wars 1 were stiff, awkward, and often buggy, and this really hurts the presentation. I will also admit that its characters rarely had noteworthy personalities (with a few notable exceptions like Eve, Cynn, and the Eye of the North hero characters). 

Despite this, the story of Guild Wars 1 had a certain gravity to it at times that Guild Wars 2's story often lacks. It wasn't obsessed with Marvel style comedy relief and wasn't afraid to get into truly dark territory like the entirety of the Factions plague storyline or the attempted genocide of the Tengu (I'm a huge fan of GW: Factions, if you couldn't tell). When the Ascalonians of GW1 are fighting a losing war, you can see the hopelessness of it, whereas an equally hopeless conflict in GW2 (like the neverending conflict of the Charr vs. the ghosts) never really has that kind of gravity to it.

It also excelled at creating serious, distinct NPC factions like the Kurzicks, Luxons, Obsidian Flame, Am Fah, Jade Brotherhood, Order of Whispers, and Ministry of Purity. These helped to really add to the world and often come across as more organic than the Vigil, Order of Whispers, or Durmand Priory.

Also, I know that story and lore are separate, but Guild Wars 1 lore was so deep, vast, and interesting that Guild Wars 2 still frequently taps into it to create the illusion of continuity in its own story.
    [Deleted User]