Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlas so bad they had to pay a hundred or so streamers to run a special event

rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
I flipped through a few of them and yes they were entertaining but not because of the game but because of some of the guys streaming it. Shroud was in there for as short a time as possible as was lirik. They were also running view bots to make it look like more people were watching it than 'should'. Walrus (I actually like him) has maybe had 1K viewers at most tonight he touched 12K. A few others who get maybe 2-3 hundred had over 3 and 4K tonight.

On that 3x3 map it did run almost as well as it should but mrmoon was lagging all over the place as were everyone else once they ships starting broadsiding each other. Those damage numbers basically put the server on its knees.

Thats the worst part, much like ARK its one of those almost awesome games but sooner rather than later the glaring  shortcomings are all too obvious.

Its is a great RP atmosphere no doubt but thats not what its been sold as (even though these guys continue to go out of their way for streamers). As a PvP game its complete ass. Late shift with Timmac raided an island and with only maybe 30-40 guys on their side and 8-10 on the other the lag was so bad it was even funny. Timmac was complaining about it nonstop (not without reason).

Game suffers form the same issues ARK has and always will the engine simply cant handle the pops that theyre trying to force on it. Even gous in the same zone no tnear the fight were experiencing massive lag.

And stop with the "Its EA' nonsense. EA at best could excuse a few buugs and lack of content. But not the engine or its performance especially when they have had 4 years or so with ARK to figure it out. THATS the part the critics are trying to point out.

Yeah game looks great when you watch guys with 200 minions to do their bidding. But going out and doing that (especially now) isnt possible. The new complaints on Steam are the complete lack of areas to claim.

OK rant over. But one thing I didnt see tonight were any of those Chinese streamers (some of which have a lot more viewers than probably 90% of the guys they invited). So while this was an obvious marketing move they still failed because they had the completely evolving (not the exact word I was looking for) atmosphere going on between NA and China (real or imagined) and seize upon it.

Comments

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    DMKano said:
    ARK still has 40K people playing it daily on Steam alone.

With consoles - there are far more ARK players than Atlas players - also ARK is far from perfect but its also a much better game than Atlas (aka ARK dlc Oceans)
    Ark has a huge following a modding community and private servers. But for all the content they have thrown out and the paid DLCs the numbers arent all that impressive. But it will most definitely have more longevity than Atlas will Atlas barely broke 50K players today. Granted its a holiday but in a lot of cases that makes things better for some games.

Atlas is going to be one of those games ( A lot like Lotro was) where you look at it and say "I wish another developer had gotten their hands on it". because it 'could' be the perfect game. If they switched just a few things around (a lot like Life is Feudal). Or a lot of other games that try to hard to be something when they could be a lot simpler and be a success.

Warhammer, the original AOC, rift all had 1 million plus people.  Warhammer had over a million sold and over 750K subscribed, it closed in less than 5 years. AOC sold over a million boxes too had almost a million subs the first month and it took less than 3 years for them to rebrand it. Rift had so many people even the 'new' sharding didnt work. They never released specifics other than to claim that 6 months after release they had made over 100 million bucks and more than a million people had played it.

Obviously a completely different world but ESO shows what can happen with an even passable MMO. Released as total crap but now they claim to have 2 or 3 million ACTIVE people playing it. While steam charts has them at like 15K a day....But ESO is 5 years old now, which back in the day would have made it ancient. But because no one makes MMOs anymore its basically uncontested other than a few of the old ones Black Desert and Final Fantasy (and I always for Star Wars but I dont think anyone plays that game anymore either).

But its sad when an MMO is bragging about 45-50K players. How many people were crashing Archeage servers when it first came out? And where was it 30 days later?
    PhryPalebane
  • ballisticknife0ballisticknife0 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I'm having loads of fun with my group  :)
    ExistentialistTokken
    Updated:

Moonmoon was apparently paid 12K for some event he streamed. 2 hours and 12K. I imagine Lirik and Shroud probably got even more than that.

Moonmoon crucified the game the last day he played it. Then the following day when he was being called a sell out for getting paid to play it he said he donated the money to charity. So take that for what its worth.

To get the particulars watch the last 5-8 minutes of the last Atlas Vod on his Twitch page and the first 8-12 minutes of the next days Vod (one with the big black guy holding the 2 liter soda bottle).

Not sure if other guys have admitted to getting paid. Probably not since they dont want to look like sell outs and they also dont want other streamers to be butt hurt.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    edited January 2019
    rodarin said:
    Updated:

Moonmoon was apparently paid 12K for some event he streamed. 2 hours and 12K. I imagine Lirik and Shroud probably got even more than that.

Moonmoon crucified the game the last day he played it. Then the following day when he was being called a sell out for getting paid to play it he said he donated the money to charity. So take that for what its worth.

To get the particulars watch the last 5-8 minutes of the last Atlas Vod on his Twitch page and the first 8-12 minutes of the next days Vod (one with the big black guy holding the 2 liter soda bottle).

Not sure if other guys have admitted to getting paid. Probably not since they dont want to look like sell outs and they also dont want other streamers to be butt hurt.
    That's quite a bit of money, but I just recently learned how much companies pay for sponsored streams or videos on youtube and holy crap I want to start making youtube videos now to sell the hell out. 

The youtubers promoting gambling sites sometimes can make up to 100k per video to promote the sites. 

I honestly like Moonmoon, hes one of the streams I will watch consistently, and it's kind of crappy he was promoting it. But I'm glad he came around and said how he felt about the game and donated the money (if he did). 
    SunwolfNC
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    I am having alot of fun myself just building stuff on my lawless island. Best $25 I ever spent on a game esp more fun than any other ea game I bought.

Oh and I only watched 5-10 minutes of cohh carnages stream. I would rather play the games than watch some else play.
    Thomas2006
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    rodarin said:
    Updated:

You do realist that ALOT of games do just this. They pay to have there game played on release day. This is far from anything new. If you think 12k is a lot. You would drop dead to see what COD paid to to streamers on release day.

Also most streamers will list if its a paid stream or not in the title. I do not remember if this was a rule twitch put into place or something else.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited January 2019
    Lots of streamers get paid to play certain games, don’t be naive. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

I know streamers get paid to play games but theyre usually all BAD games. If a game is decent and people want to watch the guy play it they will sub or tip or donate or whatever. If the game is horrible they lose viewers. Look what happened when some of these guys were paid top stream SC the week or so before Atlas launched, their viewers dropped by half or more.

Also when the more 'legit' guys get paid they have sponsored in the title most of them did it with this event as well. But I would say many of them are still getting paid to play it but they stopped having 'sponsored' in the title.

I dont know of any decent newer games that are big stream targets that paid people. I doubt anyone was paid to play RDR II or Monster Hunter or Divinity or fill in any flavor of the month game. FO 76? Maybe because it was ass.  H1Z1? Most definitely. Day Z? For sure Mrmoon made enough money off that game to buy a house (which he finally pulled the trigger on). Most decent games that are flavor of the month dont really care. Atlas, FO 76 and a few others are all in a niche and are all competing to be something someday.

But Atlas has been a streamers game from the start. Basically everything surrounding it, even the changes have come by way of what streamers and their audiences have all said were necessary. As I have said going to be really interesting when no one is streaming this game anymore how the pop holds up, if 'regular' players come back (because theyre not getting over run by mega companies with a thousand people). But also if when they all leave the population left will be enough to make it a viable game at all. So you may go from one extreme to another.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    You when they stop getting overrun by 500 man chinese raids running around breaking everyones stuff which they just added a cap to how many players can be in a company to try to limit this.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    No your not, you just think your having fun,  others have already decided its bad.  So get with the program and start having a bad time immediately.  But its okay to keep logging in and playing while your talking about how bad it is.
    Tindale111AsheramExistentialistCryomatrixNyghthowler
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    Same here.

We're one adventure after the one, after all this time got the biggest ship the galleon, going to one very high tier treasure and the first power stone of the main questline.

Me likes.
    Existentialist
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2019
    rodarin said:
    Updated:

That's quite a bit of money, but I just recently learned how much companies pay for sponsored streams or videos on youtube and holy crap I want to start making youtube videos now to sell the hell out. 

The youtubers promoting gambling sites sometimes can make up to 100k per video to promote the sites. 

I honestly like Moonmoon, hes one of the streams I will watch consistently, and it's kind of crappy he was promoting it. But I'm glad he came around and said how he felt about the game and donated the money (if he did). 
    I'm down.  Let's do a satire on destructive consumer behavior in the gaming industry and see how far we can take it before commenters wise up to the act.  My bets are on never wising up!

Its not really the Chinese. These big streamers who have all united have way more people that that.

Also you cant get over run by 500 people of any nationality. And I suppose the Chinese are smart enough to know that. You cant roll around with more than 50 people and expect to do any sorts of assaults. Out in the middle of the ocean with nothing but ship textures you might get 80 or so before youre slide showing it around.

I am also sure some people are having fun. Its not like its completely devoid of anything to do and there are some things you can do that dont require much effort. PvE stuff and RP stuff. You MIGHT possibly find a smallish clan/company and have a decent PvP battle somewhere where the big zergs havent run them over yet. Or on private servers.

But I guarantee none of you are having as much 'fun' as the guys who have gotten and are still getting paid to play this trainwreck.
  • RenndRennd Member UncommonPosts: 37
    rodarin said:
    Its not really the Chinese. These big streamers who have all united have way more people that that.

Also you cant get over run by 500 people of any nationality. And I suppose the Chinese are smart enough to know that. You cant roll around with more than 50 people and expect to do any sorts of assaults. Out in the middle of the ocean with nothing but ship textures you might get 80 or so before youre slide showing it around.

I am also sure some people are having fun. Its not like its completely devoid of anything to do and there are some things you can do that dont require much effort. PvE stuff and RP stuff. You MIGHT possibly find a smallish clan/company and have a decent PvP battle somewhere where the big zergs havent run them over yet. Or on private servers.

But I guarantee none of you are having as much 'fun' as the guys who have gotten and are still getting paid to play this trainwreck.
    Thank god you are here to tell me I'm not having 'as much fun'! I actually thought I'm having fun, guess I was wrong.
    Some people liked the 50 shades movies so it proves to each their own and everyone has a different tolerance for pain and disappointment.
    Atlas has not been disappointing, it's what I expected from it being built upon Ark and its early access release was also not anything to not have expected, the devs have been coping with the launch quite well.

The gap between hate and reality on this title is so ridiculous.

This was the same story with Ark, gets hated sideways yet continues being one of the most played games around, "This game is super bad but I damn gonna play it some more!"
    RexKushman
    MaxBacon said:
    Some people liked the 50 shades movies so it proves to each their own and everyone has a different tolerance for pain and disappointment.
    Atlas has not been disappointing, it's what I expected from it being built upon Ark and its early access release was also not anything to not have expected, the devs have been coping with the launch quite well.

This was the same story with Ark, gets hated sideways yet continues being one of the most played games around, "This game is super bad but I damn gonna play it some more!"
    Maybe the devs shouldn't have misled gamers about the state of their game.

Keep on apologizing, though.  Getting unfinished games hyped as complete experiences is great!  
    Dhamon99

edited January 2019

Keep on apologizing, though.  Getting unfinished games hyped as complete experiences is great!  
    Well, I wasn't. Early Access game from the devs of Ark, built upon Ark and stated as needing multiple years on early access before release, yup, that's about right.

Like with Ark, this game lives by its own merits, a lot of people enjoy it as is, liking the developer or not and how they handled this release is of little relevance on this reality.
    MaxBacon said:

Well, I wasn't. Early Access game from the devs of Ark, built upon Ark and stated as needing multiple years on early access before release, yup, that's about right.

Like with Ark, this game lives by its own merits, if it can be a captivating game to play, liking the developer or not is of little relevance on this reality.
    I've already posted quotes from the dev team where they hyped this game as if it was going to change gaming itself, and insisted the trailer was exactly what players were getting, and every bit of the hype being created was absolutely worth it.

But continue to ignore that.  It's getting quite hilarious how badly some folks don't mind grabbing the ankles and handing over the lube.

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    D R A M A    L A M A S ! ! !
    Tokken
    edited January 2019
    But continue to ignore that.  It's getting quite hilarious how badly some folks don't mind grabbing the ankles and handing over the lube.
    I will ignore that because devs hyping games is devs hyping games. If you want to go accuse of misrepresentation and such that was the case of NMS not Atlas, NMS directly did not have features and content advertised to be there, what is not the case with Atlas (it's actually the opposite lol).

I saw the trailer, I saw the store game descriptions and all, that is what made me buy it and what set my expectations for it. And it seems that was the same with most people playing it rn.
    RexKushmanbartoni33
    MaxBacon said:
    I will ignore that because devs hyping games is devs hyping games. If you want to go accuse of misrepresentation and such that was the case of NMS not Atlas, NMS directly did not have features and content advertised to be there, what is not the case with Atlas (it's actually the opposite lol).

I saw the trailer, I saw the store game descriptions and all, that is what made me buy it and what set my expectations for it.
    You don't have to dislike the game in its current state to call the devs for trying to convince folks it was in a state it's not.

Liking the game based on what it is now, and being an apologist for shitty dev practices are two different and independent opinions, the former of which is a completely normal opinion, the latter is grabbing the ankles and lube.

edited January 2019
    You don't have to dislike the game in its current state to call the devs for trying to convince folks it was in a state it's not.

Liking the game based on what it is now, and being an apologist for shitty dev practices are two different and independent opinions, the former of which is a completely normal opinion, the latter is grabbing the ankles and lube.
    That is not relevant. You are on a thread titled "Atlas is so bad..." aren't you so we're talking on the merits of the game itself, not the ones of the developers.

If you want to go down on the devs said this and that rabbit hole then you'd have to find someone else because I little care for it, I care on what the devs are doing rn to solve the initial wave of issues after the EA launch.
    MaxBacon said:

You forget he has bled on the cross for Star Citizen this is just his latest crusade. This shit is right up his alley.
    bartoni33
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    MaxBacon said:

I saw the trailer, I saw the store game descriptions and all, that is what made me buy it and what set my expectations for it.

There was no convincing, it says EA, not sure how straight forward they can be.

As Max said, 

"Early Access game from the devs of Ark, built upon Ark and stated as needing multiple years on early access before release"

Regardless what the trailer looked like, to ignore that information, you're just choosing to lie to yourself.

I'll say it again, players need to take some responsibility, they hyped themselves, ignored it's EA, ignored who the devs were, ignored the amount time they said the game would be ready for release, bought the game, and got upset it actually was an EA title and had a shiton of problems.

If they had released the game, no EA, i would 100% be on your side and all the drama would make sense. 

Palebane
    The game is bad on multiple levels. Performance is shit. Optimization is trash. Vitamin system overhaul is still stupid. Offline raiding is the worst mechanic ever (they didnt create it they just made it worse), People still falling through ships or floating around when getting onto rafts. Animals glitching on anything they come in contact with then hyper blasting right to you or past you but still hitting you as they can register a hit. Hacks and dupes still rampant. Aimbotting is so obvious its hilarious. A number of items completely out of balance namely fire arrows and grenades which I think have both been 'tweaked' at least twice.

Thats just the list of the stuff devs are directly responsible for.

Then there are the streamers and mega companies (which are streamers) who are basically destroying the gameplay aspect of the game for a majority of the people who arent allied or merged with them. Between offline raiding and wiping bases to just outright griefing guys who are alone or in small groups you get it all with these guys. "But their pirates'. Yeah nice excuse. If this game wanted to be taken seriously there would be huge restriction on that sort of stuff.

But since the official servers are all but dead of anyone not part of a big group the devs dont care. they think these streamers will showcase the game and all the 'improvements' they made.

Which is another thing. These improvements are basically making this Fortnite. Insta building and gathering more or less. Official server is basically like a private server with amped up rates. Once Monday hits it will be even faster.

If they just want people to have ships and (hopefully) fight they should just have NPC handing free ships out all over the  map. Then people wouldnt need the land these mega groups are all claiming in the first place.