Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlas - Misrepresented - MMORPG.com

123457»

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Interesting excerpt here from a post by a Server Hosting company (G-Portal)

We are very sorry to all of our customers who are having massive problems with their ATLAS servers. ATLAS is in a much earlier state of development than we at GPORTAL anticipated (led to believe) and were unable to forsee the issues it would cause.

The founders as well as the entire GPORTAL team give our sincerest apologies.

Let me sum up the last few days: as we all noticed, the ATLAS release was postponed several times until the 23th of December. The server files weren’t available from the start, but after a lot of talks, we finally received them, directly from the developer a few hours later.

ATLAS doesn't work like a typical game; this isn't like our normal services, where the servers are ready upon immediate purchase and start up. ATLAS has many special needs like decentralized databases, and fully automated management of JSON files. There is NO standard map and the large clusters of the MMO Officials aren't usable for private servers (and believe me, there are tons more issues).

https://www.facebook.com/gportalcom/

I am starting to feel any semblance of "MMORPG" will never materialize for Atlas.  Private servers have shown a much more stable experience, and if even those are presenting the server providers with huge issues due to the state of the game and, specifically it seems, the game's netcode, I don't see the official servers ever handling anything resembling a massive naval or land battle between players.

My group will eventually give it a try and get a private server but the costs are insane right now.  This is because you need to add extra servers... I am not even sure how many would be needed.

Check out the prices from Nitrado (the official hosting company)

https://server.nitrado.net/usa/offers/atlas

$93/mo for 14 players on 6 servers...
    $52/mo for 10 players on 4 servers...

Damn...

The streamers I watched said you'd have to mimic the dev's setup to get a private server with the official world.. meaning dozens and dozens of servers.
    Any idea how big of an area 1 server makes?  I mean... those prices are scary.

Just for giggles, I punched in for a 42 person setup with 16 servers (assuming if they recommend 6 for 14...).  It came out to $676/mo!!!

Holy cannoli Batman!

I don't know, they didn't mention.  All they mentioned was that they only ran a small portion of the map because running a larger version required a prohibitively expensive number of servers.  And these guys had what appeared to be a guild's worth of folks on their private server, not just a group of 5-6 friends.  I don't know how many helped to pay for the server, but it honestly seemed like running a private server with the full official map would be unrealistically expensive even for relatively large groups of players in a game like this.
    Yeah it would be unrealistic to try and run the official map setup on a private server. And I doubt you would ever have the player base to fill up such a unofficial server.

But the nice thing about unofficial servers is that its super easy to create your own map with the different islands. You can increase the size of a map and add as many islands as you want to it. The tools that have been developed so far make it really easy to drag and drop islands onto the map generator and you can have any type of layout you want.

Renting from these providers is also a crap shoot. Your best bet is just to get a $100 or so dedicated server with 32 gigs of ram and you can easily run 4 to 6 zone servers on that. Each zone I recommend between 4 and 8 gigs of ram. CPU usage is not really all that high. Its more all about having enough ram for the server. Bandwidth is really low for the game so there is really no need for a massive pipeline.
    How much area is one server?  Compared to say... Dark and Light
    The entire world of Atlas is 45.000km2 spread out over 225 zones and each zone is a server. So, one server on average would be 200km2 including ocean. For comparisons sake, Ark is 60km2 including ocean.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    laseritKyleran[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    lahnmir said:

We are very sorry to all of our customers who are having massive problems with their ATLAS servers. ATLAS is in a much earlier state of development than we at GPORTAL anticipated (led to believe) and were unable to forsee the issues it would cause.

Let me sum up the last few days: as we all noticed, the ATLAS release was postponed several times until the 23th of December. The server files weren’t available from the start, but after a lot of talks, we finally received them, directly from the developer a few hours later.

ATLAS doesn't work like a typical game; this isn't like our normal services, where the servers are ready upon immediate purchase and start up. ATLAS has many special needs like decentralized databases, and fully automated management of JSON files. There is NO standard map and the large clusters of the MMO Officials aren't usable for private servers (and believe me, there are tons more issues).

I am starting to feel any semblance of "MMORPG" will never materialize for Atlas.  Private servers have shown a much more stable experience, and if even those are presenting the server providers with huge issues due to the state of the game and, specifically it seems, the game's netcode, I don't see the official servers ever handling anything resembling a massive naval or land battle between players.

My group will eventually give it a try and get a private server but the costs are insane right now.  This is because you need to add extra servers... I am not even sure how many would be needed.

Damn...

The streamers I watched said you'd have to mimic the dev's setup to get a private server with the official world.. meaning dozens and dozens of servers.

Just for giggles, I punched in for a 42 person setup with 16 servers (assuming if they recommend 6 for 14...).  It came out to $676/mo!!!

Holy cannoli Batman!

I don't know, they didn't mention.  All they mentioned was that they only ran a small portion of the map because running a larger version required a prohibitively expensive number of servers.  And these guys had what appeared to be a guild's worth of folks on their private server, not just a group of 5-6 friends.  I don't know how many helped to pay for the server, but it honestly seemed like running a private server with the full official map would be unrealistically expensive even for relatively large groups of players in a game like this.
    Yeah it would be unrealistic to try and run the official map setup on a private server. And I doubt you would ever have the player base to fill up such a unofficial server.

But the nice thing about unofficial servers is that its super easy to create your own map with the different islands. You can increase the size of a map and add as many islands as you want to it. The tools that have been developed so far make it really easy to drag and drop islands onto the map generator and you can have any type of layout you want.

Renting from these providers is also a crap shoot. Your best bet is just to get a $100 or so dedicated server with 32 gigs of ram and you can easily run 4 to 6 zone servers on that. Each zone I recommend between 4 and 8 gigs of ram. CPU usage is not really all that high. Its more all about having enough ram for the server. Bandwidth is really low for the game so there is really no need for a massive pipeline.
    The entire world of Atlas is 45.000km2 spread out over 225 zones and each zone is a server. So, one server on average would be 200km2 including ocean. For comparisons sake, Ark is 60km2 including ocean.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    In that case, then 1 server would seem to be more than enough for 20 people.  Not sure why the official host recommends 6 servers for 14 people.   That was insane. 
    [Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

lahnmir said:

Damn...

Holy cannoli Batman!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    In that case, then 1 server would seem to be more than enough for 20 people.  Not sure why the official host recommends 6 servers for 14 people.   That was insane. 
    1 server in game has a cap of 150, I have no clue why they would recommend these numbers. Maybe you need that amount of servers/zones to see all there is to see in game? You could still easily fit 50+ in there though...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Some are still mislead on SIZE of game.

The actual playable space is VERY small.

It might feel bigger running across the world on a super slow raft that is always fighting the wind but there are only few playable islands and some are just too cold.
    An even more important aspect is the SPEED..racing we see out of the blocks.Players built up so fast and have already the most powerful gear/weapons,any player that pops in now on a raft is VERY easy fodder and won't accomplish anything except spawning in the middle of the water.

I realize pvp is needed to add something to what is essentially nothing more than a foraging and building game but pvp is NEVER fair or even good.To make this and more so pvp work,players need to easily get a plot then auto plot a house where they can set a respawn point.

Otherwise you'll get 2-3 people or a clan owning an entire island the few there are.The starting locations where the docks are and youcan buy a raft ,are again few and not all that big as you might think,100 players would overwhelm any starting/Freeportzone.

Bottom line,rushed out too fast,not enough thought put into pve or pvp,just another half baked game that imo will not improve much over the next 2-3 years.Here is my prediction,instead of actually being EARLY access,they will and likely already are working on console versions,maybe a cash shop and the first DLC all BEFORE the game is finished.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    edited January 2019
    I have an update. I was gifted this game out of the blue on Steam (someone steam stalking me). I downloaded it and went to the private server section. Mostly all a bunch of trash. But I did find one with a 100 person cap and it was 5x5. But vanilla settings. I took a couple hours and got to level 4 and logged off. Now I remember why I hated ARK so much. On official anyway.

While the 100X and 50 X and 25X servers (that are 3x3 at best mostly 2x2) might appeal to some I like some sort of a challenge or effort. 2-3X would be OK.

But there were only 3 people on this server when I was on but it was mid day East Coast time. So I will go back in a few hours to see if anyone still plays on it.

I will also probably try a character on the official PvP server just for shits and giggles. But i am going to go to the most underpopulated and least attractive place on the map. I have about 4 options.

But after watching the way these streamers who now have enough people who know what  theyre doing to help grind them out fleets and maps and territory ride around and grief people all day I am sure it wont last long. And just as predicted these guys are still trying to ally with other bigger streamers. "Late shift" already shit all over the guys they conned into subbing by kicking everyone who wasnt 3 months, now theyre going and trying to ally with the other bigger streamers who play. Because 800 people or whatever they have between two companies and a dozen alliances isnt enough I guess. And their 'excuse' for griefing is 'We are getting too many people so we have to expand'.  I am hoping that someone goes in even the Chinese and basically wipes them out. Or better yet a server wipe (which they all now claim isnt coming) to see how many people they get back in helping them. Or best of all Forsen whom they all look at as a joke (which he is) but has more guys than they do combined.

But it will be over soon enough Burke Black will get bored like he does with every game and he will be gone it will all break up and they will cannibalize each other. Which would be much better entertainment and 'content' than what theyre doing now.

This game is a phenomena now as you can watch the only existing world (basically) become manipulated and polluted right before your eyes and there isnt any place else for people to go. So is it a 'if you cant beat em join em'? Or is it hoping they leave sooner rater than later? Or do you go play on some third rate private server and hope there is enough 'fun' to make it worthwhile?

This is a case study. While streamers have been around forever they have never had this much 'control' over a game overall. Because most played on their own private servers or were in games with multiple servers where numbers werent as important. But here in a game where numbers are basically 90% of it you can already see whats happening.

I feel like looking to see if I have the 2 hours and if not just refunding it but then again I dont know who sent it to me but I am sure they would be the one getting the refund (maybe a test on their part to see if I would play it at all).

But this game now has a whole other level of negativity (IMO) surrounding it. The development and performance issues are bad enough but now you have the direct influence of a swarm of locusts with enough people to actually control a whole game (through legit in game mechanics) so it will be interesting if anything is done.

EDIT: just looked it says 2 hours as time played.....
    Kyleran
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666

Yeah.  They were shooting for the moon, but the game isn't really built on the right tech for it.  You can't just build a backend for a multiplayer game and turn it into an MMO.  Though.... You know...  I might know someone that can help, now that I think about it.

I think they'll be able to get the netcode sorted enough to have larger naval battles and such, but I doubt they'll ever be able to do it on the scale they've intended.
    MadFrenchieKyleran

Damn...

I'm thinking about cheating a bit.   I have three 42U racks of servers that I stood up to do some testing last year.  It's just sitting there...  Maybe I should spin up a private ATLAS server.  =)

MadFrenchie[Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Damn...

I'm thinking about cheating a bit.   I have three 42U racks of servers that I stood up to do some testing last year.  It's just sitting there...  Maybe I should spin up a private ATLAS server.  =)

Only if you keep it really private, otherwise jerks will probably just try to do whatever they can to ruin your fun.

Red_Thomas

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlmostLancelotAlmostLancelot Member UncommonPosts: 135
    edited January 2019
    Kyleran said:

Damn...

Only if you keep it really private, otherwise jerks will probably just try to do whatever they can to ruin your fun.

What can they do?

Steal your stuff from your box? If you don't lock your storage, that's on you.

Kill you and steal your stuff? Get a friend and practice the buddy system, you don't need to "play fair" especially if others are not. That is a disadvantageous line of thought. Do whatever you need to do to not be someone else's content, as the options exist to do just that.

Sink your boat? Well, to be frank, that's the core of the game. Player vs Player conflict on the open ocean with territory control and player looting as a risk/reward mechanism. If you're not at the very least willing to engage in vessel to vessel combat then you're likely playing the wrong game. There are plenty of other survival games in better shape that cater to a strictly pve playstyle.

I think you might need to define what constitutes someone being labeled a "jerk", at least from your point of view. Nothing I have described above is anything I would consider to be poor behavior, quite the opposite, it is expected behavior.
    [Deleted User]
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Kyleran said:

Damn...

What can they do?

Kill you and steal your stuff? Get a friend and practice the buddy system, you don't need to "play fair" especially if others are not. That is a disadvantageous line of thought. Do whatever you need to do to not be someone else's content, as the options exist to do just that.

Sink your boat? Well, to be frank, that's the core of the game. Player vs Player conflict on the open ocean with territory control and player looting as a risk/reward mechanism. If you're not at the very least willing to engage in vessel to vessel combat then you're likely playing the wrong game. There are plenty of other survival games in better shape that cater to a strictly pve playstyle.

I think you might need to define what constitutes someone being labeled a "jerk", at least from your point of view. Nothing I have described above is anything I would consider to be poor behavior, quite the opposite, it is expected behavior.
    Offline raiding is what kills these types of games. When youre body stays in the world and anyone can loot it or kill it that can get to it thats as bad a mechanic as there is. Full loot PvP when you cant even defend yourself.

Add that in with the mentality of the guys these streamers have with them and its a real disaster waiting to happen. Full loot PvP kills every game it has ever been in, and with this one its even worse AND you have these huge companies that not only raid people offline but they go out of their way to be asshats about it.

Only chance the game has is if these guys leave or they go on private servers. But its like every other game out there its already sold copies so the developers are already winning. If everyone stops playing its actually better for them because then they can (like they have done with ARK) just stop trying to fix the broken servers. Because the best way to fix servers that cant handle lag is to lose a majority of the people playing it.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    You guys should be embarrassed.  Worst thread I have read on this site in some time.  Instead of reply after reply after reply, man up.  People disagree, accept that and move on.    I am surprised this thread is not locked by now.  

Grow up all of you!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Kyleran said:

Damn...

What can they do?

Err, I was thinking more along the lines of launching unrelenting DDOS attacks but I suppose flooding his server with all of their members if it was too open might be an issue as well.

[Deleted User]Red_Thomas

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Holy cannoli Batman!

I haven't looked into it much, but I'm betting the term "server" doesn't mean anything anymore.  All this stuff is virtualized and probably uses docker or something, as well.  Based on what I've seen from some of the hosting companies, I think that's part of the problem with hosting.  They didn't provide the typical docker images you could use to scale deployment (which, actually makes a little sense if they built the backend to be an MMO and this private server thing was a last-minute tack-on).

One node, is supposed to be one grid.   The question is how much RAM/CPU does that node need in order to support X number of players?  Then, of course you'll also need the DB server they're talking about on top of that.

If I can get an in with the studio, I'll figure out how to deploy one of these and maybe write an article on it.
    What can they do?

Claim a lot of space, troll, stuff like that.  I don't really mind that sort of thing that much, but my nieces and nephews will be playing on it if I stand this up.  I'll password protect it so I don't have to worry about who they interact with.
    Ozmodan said:
    You guys should be embarrassed.  Worst thread I have read on this site in some time.  Instead of reply after reply after reply, man up.  People disagree, accept that and move on.    I am surprised this thread is not locked by now.  

Grow up all of you!
    They wouldn't dare lock my thread.  Do you know who the hell I am?  I'm important, dude.

=)
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Ozmodan
    Rhoklaw said:
    @Red_Thomas , I just want to apologize. As a fellow veteran, I have no intention of discrediting you in anyway because I have nothing but love for my brothers and sisters in arms. Any review is a good review so long as it's an honest review. I believe you like ATLAS for what it is and understand it is lacking in some areas. Despite ARK's controversial past, I loved the game for what it was. I just don't like the idea of anyone supporting ( despite being early access ) game developers who mislead customers, whether through trailers claiming to be in-game footage or missing / severely broken game mechanics coupled with extreme server latency.

I understand the purpose of early access, but I'm starting to see a trend of developers using that title as an excuse to release games that should not be released, even for early access AND charging for it. In my opinion, early access should be reserved for "beta testing" and not alpha testing which is clearly the case with ATLAS.
    Don't apologize, it's not necessary or expected.  I could have handled that better, as well.

What I thought was a personal attack got my attention, but it never bothered me.   What I wanted to make clear (less for you specifically, and more in general) is that it's pretty damn uncommon for anyone to get any perk out of writing.  Occasionally you get a free game, and those are usually the ones you wouldn't have bought on your own.

The real perks, to me, of writing these sorts of articles is meeting the teams that make the games and learning more about how they operate their business.  I'm a business owner (still doing similar stuff from when I was in the Army), and I find the business of video games under covered and very interesting.  Not that I could write about that, either. No one would read it.

I run a non-profit in San Antonio to help vets transition.  If you ever need someone to look over your resume, give advice, or help you find employment in my area, you're always welcome to hit me up.  PM me and I'll get you my email if you need it.
    [Deleted User]
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

How do you know that?  Have you stood one up or have you seen some documentation?  I'm thinking of setting a server up.
    lahnmir said:
    1 server in game has a cap of 150, I have no clue why they would recommend these numbers. Maybe you need that amount of servers/zones to see all there is to see in game? You could still easily fit 50+ in there though...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I think I've only seen at most, four islands in a single grid.  That's probably not enough for 50 people.  I think they recommend 6 so that you can have multiple grids with multiple biomes.  I think you can mix it up in a single grid, too.  That comes off weird because the ocean's biome might be tropical and there's a tundra island in it.
    MadFrenchie
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

How do you know that?  Have you stood one up or have you seen some documentation?  I'm thinking of setting a server up.
    I just went with general information out there. I also went with average size of a zone, I fully expect however that not all zones are the same size so my math is probably way off. Still, the recommendation Slap posted seems weird.

Not running a server myself btw.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]

lahnmir said:
    I just went with general information out there. I also went with average size of a zone, I fully expect however that not all zones are the same size so my math is probably way off. Still, the recommendation Slap posted seems weird.

Not running a server myself btw.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Damn.  I was hoping you'd found something that'd help me get started.

Oh well.  Thanks for letting me know.  =)
    DMKano said:

Not everything can be dockerized easily - especially MMOs that run on windows. Yes there's a windows version of Docker but again its nowhere near as efficient as linux.

Examples of MMOs whose back end runs on windows servers:

ArcheAge 
    Rift
    Aion
    Tabula Rasa
    BDO
    Bless

To name a few.

Why would anyone have servers run on windows you ask? Because that's what majority developers are comfortable coding for - yep. 

Even WoW started as Windows and was changes to linux on the back end as MS licensing costs are very high once you start to scale to 1000s of servers as WoW did.

And then - some game servers - especially world servers are just massive in terms of memory and CPU footprints - so they dont virtualize well at all be it via hypervisors or service virtualization like docker. 

You know what dockerizes really well - mobile and browser games.

But actual massive persistent mmorpgs- not so much
    Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of games written in C variants, so that makes sense.  I know a lot of the studios that I'm friendly with are all mostly Win-goobers.

...but that kind of falls back to the point about ATLAS and MMO not really being terms that'll probably ever  go together.  None of those other games are rocking private servers (as far as I know).

ATLAS may be a stepping stone towards an MMO for those guys, but I'm not really sure their backend is built in a way that would support that sort of thing.  Could be wrong, but it just seems a hard turn to convert a survival-type game that works the way their servers do into an MMO.

w/r to docker, I haven't run many servers that way, but I've hosted a ton of survival games over the years on linux.   They usually have binaries you can just download, edit the config, and go.  My expectation is that it's probably not an uncommon tech to use for the server-based games (eg, ARK, CoD, Conan Exiles, ect).   It'd make it easier to scale for hosting companies, so my guess is that it's not untypical.  Not anything I know for sure, though.

For MMOs, I'm a little surprised to hear they don't build everything around containers, for obvious reasons.  I know a lot of devs write in the C-type codes, but hadn't considered that they were probably using Win for their servers, too.  That explains why MMOs always have terrible launch days.   Maybe they should run on a better OS.  =P
    [Deleted User]
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,072
    Ozmodan
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,072
    Eating poop is now instadeath….sure ok.  Nasty fockers……...
    lol yeah I guess its their /suicide option for being stuck