Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it Time for Guild Wars 3?

Comments

• jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237

jgDuffay said:

I would say yes, too. One more GW2 expansion, while they plug away on GW3. And if trends are to be followed, I wonder if they'd make it closer to a quasi-MMO like Destiny/Anthem.

Trends? What trends? No MMO franchise has changed their IP into something like a shared world shooter. None.

Think he was refering to the trend in creating quasi mmos, not the trend with mmo franchises that turns their mmo into a shared world shooter. Which would be quite narrow to call a trend. Dont spin words for no reason

Show me one MMO IP that has downgraded to a 'quasi MMO'.. please.. so I understand why someone might think this would happen... I would hate to spin words for no reason in the future.

Thing is, he is refering to the trend in creating games in the quasi mmo genre, not MMO franchises that turn their Ip's into a quasi mmo. Like it's a trend to make battle royal games. but no .. it's not a trend to turn mmo ip's into battle royal games. So your taking the OP and changing the context.

And out of all mmo's out there I think guild wars is one of the ones that fit's the most in a quasi mmo genre.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    I can't see a plausible scenario in which they become a quasi MMO or revert to instances. 

The only gameplay incentive to do so is to return to GW1 style teambuilding, but this is unlikely. Gaming, and especially MMOs aren't moving in the direction of more intellectual complexity, but rather less.

The only trends I'm seeing in the MMO space right now are moves towards PvP and dynamic content, both of which are very in character for Guild Wars.
    meonthissite
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I don't see a GW3 happening.  A GW-mobile is a possibility, perhaps.

GW2 has hardly been a raging money-maker.  I can hardly see them investing $50 million+ into building another game in a struggling genre.
    GW2 has had a very up-and-down existence  -- certainly not the kind that warrants a full-blown next-gen rebuild.

And, as others have mentioned, GW2's built its castle on a sandy beach(ed whale).  A lot of the population has invested heavily into cash shop items, etc., that they aren't going to want to part with and jump ship.

Ports and spin-offs are always fair game, but another MMO... not likely.
    momintimmeonthissite
  • jj7009jj7009 Member UncommonPosts: 223

I would say yes, too. One more GW2 expansion, while they plug away on GW3. And if trends are to be followed, I wonder if they'd make it closer to a quasi-MMO like Destiny/Anthem.

god i hope not. I can't stand those games. Its like borderlands 2 but without the fun.
    meonthissite
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    They only started work on GW2 because the engine they used in GW1 couldn't do what they wanted to do. Going by what they added to GW2 since release, we aren't going to see a GW3 until PC can't run DX9 anymore. Now though, I expect them to release some mobile games because their parent company asked them to, but those won't be GW3.
    momintimReveriellemeonthissite
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    What ANet needs to learn, if they are working on GW3, is that you will retain more players if you make desirables, like legendaries, obtainable without turning the game into a job. I have a few legendaries and getting them was not fun. After every one I got, I immediately quit the game for about a year... because I was like, that was a ridiculous amount of work and I've got.. this.. that does almost nothing... Why am I even doing this? What is my life? Bye.

I went back, of course, and I'm playing it again right now but it's only a matter of time before I start thinking "Oh, I could probably finish about 20-60 single player games in the time it takes to get a shiny in GW2. That would be a much better use of my time".

Worst grind I've ever ever seen in a game, ever.
    I think that's the sad truth of GW2.  The game is just one giant grindfest.  They even turned the WvWvW into a grindfest.
    I wonder if they ever did the same for sPVP?  I never played sPVP, really.

There's a fair amount of content in the game, at this point, but the entire game just feels so one-dimensional.
    And they deliberately recycle the same grind mechanic for each new zone/update.  A new zone?  Yep, time for Currency #9315.

The evolution of the game has just been from one grind-source to another.
    TheDarkrayneTuor7meonthissite
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Lokero said:
    What ANet needs to learn, if they are working on GW3, is that you will retain more players if you make desirables, like legendaries, obtainable without turning the game into a job. I have a few legendaries and getting them was not fun. After every one I got, I immediately quit the game for about a year... because I was like, that was a ridiculous amount of work and I've got.. this.. that does almost nothing... Why am I even doing this? What is my life? Bye.

I went back, of course, and I'm playing it again right now but it's only a matter of time before I start thinking "Oh, I could probably finish about 20-60 single player games in the time it takes to get a shiny in GW2. That would be a much better use of my time".

Worst grind I've ever ever seen in a game, ever.
    I think that's the sad truth of GW2.  The game is just one giant grindfest.  They even turned the WvWvW into a grindfest.
    I wonder if they ever did the same for sPVP?  I never played sPVP, really.

There's a fair amount of content in the game, at this point, but the entire game just feels so one-dimensional.
    And they deliberately recycle the same grind mechanic for each new zone/update.  A new zone?  Yep, time for Currency #9315.

The evolution of the game has just been from one grind-source to another.
    Yes, sadly, ANet thinks that optional grind shouldn't be defined as grind. They think it's only grind if you have to do it for vertical progression so they added grind to all the horizontal progression (basically the whole game). They are very wrong.
    maskedweaselKyleranmeonthissite
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    I'm burnt out on GW2. I only log in for the daily reward and to harvest 3 of my for guild instances and home zone, and even that is painful. I haven't even played the 2 new zone chapters they added. The lore has bored me at this point. A GW3 would have to be a helleva good game to get me to jump on it.
    meonthissite
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I think it would be better if the same company made a big new game of some type, not GW3. 
    meonthissite

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited January 2019
    GW3 would be a great opportunity to refine combat, create a truly open environment and apply the things they reneged on from the initial "manifesto video".

With the above said, I look forward to the backlash of Guild Wars: Mobile and Guild Wars Battle Royale because that's what a betting man would expect.
    meonthissite
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • WouldUKindlyWouldUKindly Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited January 2019
    The timing doesn't seem right for a new Guild Wars game. When they develop a new MMO it is going to pull a good portion of the player base from GW2. My impression is that Path of Fire did pretty well sales-wise. I would generally expect them to keep going with expansions until that ceases to be the case. It's also not clear to me how much they are making off of the cash shop.

Plus, both the cost and human resources for developing a new MMO are a pretty big barrier for entry. I would expect content creation for GW2 to slow down to a crawl or halt once they start on a new MMO. I could see them starting to look into that once a few more expansions are out. By then, hopefully there is more competition in the MMO market. Right now everything new seems to be poorly developed/rushed out the door such that there is not a whole lot a drive for people to move on to newer MMOs.
    meonthissite
  • vandamage420vandamage420 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    member when area net promised there would be no gear grind in gw2? oh yeah i member....
    AlmostLancelotmeonthissite
  • momintimmomintim Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Im going to assume this is just an opinion piece. Not sure why we need constant "sequels" for MMOs, how often do you see MMOs go paste 2 with the same name. It almost sounds as if your asking for sequels for the sake of having a sequel.
    meonthissite
  • parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    6-7 years is short life span for any mmo, the graphics are still good, the combat is fine and story is still continue, gw2 still has another 6-7 years in it, it is way too soon to move on to next game, huge cost for making 3rd game while gw2 is still making money and has many players, you move on when your game is outdated and people stopped playing it, then you make sequel to get players back with updated graphics and animation etc and totally new story and new world, not when people are still enjoying the game, and the game is doing fine.
    momintimvelimiriusmeonthissiteReverielle
    edited January 2019
    Torval said:
    I'll have to say a big HELL NO, if it's the same team currently running GW2. What's the point since it would be more of the same uninspired rehash. They should keep middling along with their current game.

Just like the people that made great Blizzard games are gone from that studio, same with ANet. It's a shell of its former self and they can barely run GW2. Just to put it in perspective, a 20 year old 2.5D sprite based game by the same publisher makes more per quarter than GW2 does.
    I could not possibly disagree with you more. If it were the same team with the same methods running vanilla Guild Wars 2 or even Heart of Thorns, then I would not want Guild Wars 3. But with the current team and the current direction of the game, I find myself wishing that this had been the foundation of Guild Wars 2 from the start.

Also, if money dictates how "inspired" or "good" something is, then all developers should give up in the face of the money-printing magnificence that is Fortnite.
    meonthissite
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    If they make it more like GW1 than GW2, then i'm all on-board since GW2 is kinda reaching its end [the game's main drive were the Elder Dragons and, out of the six dragons, we've killed two, nearly killed two more and sent them to sleep again [and it's supposed to take thousands of years for them to reawaken after a NATURAL hibernation, imagine how long it should take when they were nearly drained to death], one is going to get replaced with Aurene in the coming months and the final one will likely spell the final expansion.

And let's be honest, no one can say that Living Story is going to sustain the game, it simply won't work in the long run. I would actually be surprised if they weren't working on GW3 right now.
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543

GW3 would be a great opportunity to refine combat, create a truly open environment and apply the things they reneged on from the initial "manifesto video".

With the above said, I look forward to the backlash of Guild Wars: Mobile and Guild Wars Battle Royale because that's what a betting man would expect.

Every time i see the ending to the manifesto, i remember how much i hate that those Leviathans are not in-game.
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    I say No as GW3 would not make much sense. The dev team would be more motivated by creating a new world and lore. It would most likely still attract fans of GW2 as most believe in Arenanet just like Blizzard fans. Those that didn't like GW2 is more likely to skip GW3 but would probably give a Non-GW game a chance.
  • ElalandElaland Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I was a huge GW1 fan, and would certainly look into a GW3. I have focused on only 3 main games in the past 13 years or so. Note I am definitely a PvE player and only play limited PvP. If GW3 adopted the reasons I love the games below I would likely be a GW3 fan. I started GW2 when it launched (including the open beta) but due to unfortunate circumstances not related to the game play itself I dropped out and picked up SWTOR which had just launched. The things in common in the games I play/played that GW3 could share:

GW1: Beautiful game world (for the technology at the time), ability to mix 2 class skill trees and the need to develop different builds for different situations, different classes that are interesting enough to create alts, cut scenes at end of certain missions showing you and your group's customized characters, good story lines.

SWTOR: Beautiful game world, great story lines different for each class (at least for the original chapters), different classes interesting enough to create alts, voice acted cut scenes with your customized character are awesome.

ESO: Beautiful game world, an extraordinary amount of lore and story lines, crafting was involved and can actually be useful (weapons, armor, enchants, potions, and furnishings for your housing), subscriber access to UNLIMITED storage of crafting materials.

If GW3 could provide a lot of what made GW1 or these other main MMO's fun I'd definitely give it a go.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,507
    Yes! Guildwars 3 - GW 1 with updated graphics! 
    Thupli

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,507
    Nah. No quasi! GW1 with updated graphics and living story! Done!
    [Deleted User]Thupli

mmorpg junkie since 1999

Mensur said:
    Yes! Guildwars 3 - GW 1 with updated graphics! 
    Guild Wars 1 Remastered would be perfect. I would buy 10 copies.
    [Deleted User]ThupliMensurQSatu
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I wouldn't mind single player/coop spin offs within the GW universe running alongside GW2. I don't think GW3 will happen before all elder dragons are dealt with. Then GW3 could happen in a future with no elder dragons and whatever new threat arises.

Whatever decision ANET makes, if there's a new GW game i'm in... as long as it is not a mobile game.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited January 2019
    No. Games only get more dumbed down and hyper-monetized with each iteration these days. No one adds depth and complexity.
    [Deleted User]

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    How about GW 1 enhanced edition?