Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it Time for Guild Wars 3?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageIs it Time for Guild Wars 3?

Lo and behold we have entered 2019, and within the breadth of the new year resides a new chapter of Guild Wars 2, adorned with the promise of new adventures in Tyria. After 6 years of Dragons, Golems and Gods, much has changed in the evolving world ArenaNet has created, and yet, despite a very lively and passionate essence still thriving amidst the perpetual chaos, it’s not hard to see that Guild Wars 2 Is starting to show its age.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Gdemami[Deleted User]ElquinAgent_Joseph

Comments

• BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228
    Im going to say yes to GW3 provided its a bit more like the original Guild Wars
    VezlinAeanderjarsku85Viper482[Deleted User]ScotnecrolockNoxiasvelimiriusAlomarand 11 others.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    edited January 2019
    Considering how far out of step GW2 is from GW1.. I'd prefer GW1.5. I miss that method. Of course, no one I know really does much in GW2 besides hop in and play a few days. Even the kid was given the whole world and moved on after about 2 weeks.
    Octagon7711Vezlin[Deleted User]PuReDusTNoxiasmeonthissite
  • summerstringssummerstrings Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I am sure a third Guild Wars game will happen eventually but I think you probably will be waiting for the mid to late 2020's before it is released .
    VezlinBeezerbeezshinn1601meonthissiteDakeruElquin
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Time for ANY game if done right.
    First of all from day 1,this SHOULD have been a GUILD WARS game as was even hinted in their videos leading up to releases.
    Runes of Magic did it ,so anyone can do it.They had actual guild halls where pvp would take place  and a newer more modern game could do so much more but Arena.net is trying to do LESS,whatever is easier and cheaper to design.

Don't give me some looking out of place npc standing out in the open waiting for me to cash in on some zone quests.Given me events that fit the genre,so if Fantasy then Dragons and such and keep it looking plausible nothing silly.Don't give me a super mario map that looks foolish for the games lore and setting.

This goes to ALL developers,make levels EACH one meaningful and not just end game.gear choices and mob choices for all levels,don't just give me a zone and say here kill everything to unlock rewards,that is a FAKE  non role play setting.
    Simple,create a ROLE playing game that also supports the MMO feel and if your game is called GUILD wars,give me guild wars.

milayskyWaanmeonthissiteGorwe

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I don't think they're done with GW2 yet. Still looking for that underwater expansion and possibly sea expansion with a pirate theme.

I also agree GW1 could use some love. It's a different game from GW2 and adding some impressive updates would be great.

I'd also love a GW3 but where would they go with it? What could they do with it that wouldn't make it feel like an expansion of GW2? It's in the same boat as WoW. It's gone as far as it can go and a totally next generation game based on Wow would feel like just another expansion made into an entire game. Both would need some major innovations to pull off a next generation game.
    meonthissiteThupliElquin

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited January 2019
    Even if it is time for a 3rd game, I don't think an announcement is going to come within the next 2 years.

I don't think we'll have another 6 year hype cycle for Guild Wars 3. Announcing Guild Wars 3 will be the death knell for Guild Wars 2, much like the Guild Wars 2 announcement killed Guild Wars 1. If a 3rd game happens, it will be developed alongside Guild Wars 2 and will be announced within 2 years or less of its intended launch.

Expect at least one more expansion, if not two, in my opinion, with the final expansion possibly setting up the events of a new game.
    Octagon7711BeezerbeezmeonthissiteLiljna
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I would say yes, too. One more GW2 expansion, while they plug away on GW3. And if trends are to be followed, I wonder if they'd make it closer to a quasi-MMO like Destiny/Anthem.
    meonthissiteYashaX

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    GW3 would most likely be a mobile game. And I can't see me playing that anytime soon. At least not as long as there is at least one game for PC left which I like.

Even if they create a non-mobile GW3 it would be probably very much like the other new MMOs. So a lobby based game with team size limited to a few players. Probably an updated GW1. Some people here seem to want such a game, so why not. But not my cup of tea either.

I was interested in GW2 in the past because they promised to do things differently. Unfortunately in the end GW2 just became another themepark with vertical progression and not what I expected when they talked about a living world which in GW2s case is just some scripted events.

But maybe they could surprise me... but I doubt it. ;)
    meonthissiteThupliMensurarbi15Elquin
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited January 2019
    Oops wrong thread. :neutral: Nevermind... deleted.
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on
    meonthissite

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited January 2019
    I also can't think of a lot of reasons for a Guild Wars 3 to exist functionally. Guild Wars 2 was justified by its engine, which is capable of so much more than would be mechanically possible in the original game.

A new story foundation, removed from current events is obviously needed to justify the shift. Possibly even taking place on Cantha or any of the completely unexplored landmasses.

I think they'd eliminate the whole unity thing that Guild Wars 2 has going. Factions are a huge part of the MMO identity, especially for PvP. I don't think they'd ever tie races to factions, as that doesn't fit their MO, but we'll probably see factions similar to the Vigil/Priory/Whispers or Kurzicks/Luxons play a big role. Tyria vs. Cantha is the most likely, as Cantha has longstanding and likely irreversible ideological incompatibilities with Tyria.

I also think they'll eliminate armor classes entirely. They don't serve much mechanical purpose, as the defense difference between light and heavy is only about 10%, and they multiply the effort needed to introduce new armor sets. 

I also think that they may go back to a Guild Wars 1 esque mixed class system. It won't be anywhere near as complex, but we'll probably see a class-less system where you make your own class. It fits their "anyone can be anything" design philosophy and cuts down on the work load substantially. They'll probably return to trinity based design, as it's easier to do, they're already designing raids around such, and they can be confident that their mixed class system and easy respecs would help form groups.

In regards to PvP, I think they'll abandon Control Points as a main mode. It just doesn't have the interest or longevity to be an esport, and never has.
    meonthissiteYashaXThupli
  • CodehxCodehx Member UncommonPosts: 10
    The problem with a new Guild Wars is how heavily they've monetized GW2. The GW2 hardcore (the only players who remain) will be against moving to a new platform, having to start all over AND having to fork over more money by means of microtransactions. That being said, I'm not sure what can be done to further prolong the game's success. Expansions have received great reviews, but are unable to sustain those new adopters after the fun of the new content has worn off. ArenaNet is banking on players buying cosmetics, and the current players do so in spades.

A Guild Wars 3 would be a huge gamble, and given how WildStar fell off the wayside, I highly doubt ArenaNet will receive the funding. I suspect there's a final expansion in the pipeline before the game falls into maintenance mode.

Again, all conjecture from me. I would definitely check out a Guild Wars 3 if it were to surface, but I feel it is unlikely to happen.
    Reveriellemeonthissite
  • blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    edited January 2019

If they are thinking of doing something like "Guild Wars Royal", or a survival inspired title, they should just forget about it and keep on expanding GW2!  ;)

I would say yes, too. One more GW2 expansion, while they plug away on GW3. And if trends are to be followed, I wonder if they'd make it closer to a quasi-MMO like Destiny/Anthem.

To me, GW1 was pretty much a "quasi-MMO", so that would kind of bring them back to their roots I guess, so it's quite the possibility.  That would be a big change from GW2 though, so not sure how it would be received by the fans that were introduced to the universe through GW2 only.

I would be down for this, or for an "improved" GW2 where they finally achieve all they had set in their original manifesto. 

There are also many aspects that could benefit from innovation in the MMORPG genre (gameplay, strong and diverse AI, dynamic content generation, etc.).  None is easy to achieve (or else we would already have it), but if they are to work/release a new iteration, I sure hope they will try and move the genre forward (the few steps they did with GW2 at the time were nice, we need even longer strides now).
    meonthissite
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    edited January 2019
    I can dig that. But this time I won't pre-order until they use at least DirectX 12 with multi-threaded rendering as the norm. I ain't taking anything less anymore from anyone.
    HiromantmeonthissiteThupliGorwe
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    Yes to GW3.     

So, I never played GW1.... what is the difference between the two. What makes GW1 better?  Thx
    meonthissite

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    I always thought GW2 was a step in the right direction for AAA MMO's, away from the wow model.

But it was just that, a step, nobody really picked up on going further. Hopefully GW3 will.
    ReveriellemeonthissiteThupli
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I like GW2, but I would take a GW3 if it were more like 1. Or even a remaster of 1. I just want to play 1 again. That game was fun as hell and I miss it (I know I could play it again right now but I loved having friends to play it with).
    Hiromant
    Tokken said:
    Yes to GW3.     

So, I never played GW1.... what is the difference between the two. What makes GW1 better?  Thx
    The only things that the games share are their setting and horizontal progression philosophy.

Guild Wars 1 was a trinity-based game with an incredible dual class system that let you mix any two classes and make a skill bar of 8 skills from the game's pool of hundreds of skills. 

Guild Wars 1 was also fully instanced, but unlike shallow modern instanced dungeon crawlers (like Dragon Nest or Vindictus), Guild Wars 1 used instances to intellectually engage the players. Namely, one had to build their character and their team in a hub and prepare them for all encounters they can expect to face in that map/mission/dungeon. 

It is a type of game that has never been seen again before or since.
    TokkenvelimiriusmeonthissiteThupliJeleenaGorwe
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Anthur said:
    GW3 would most likely be a mobile game. 
    "Do you guys not have phones?"  :P
    maskedweaselOctagon7711velimiriusmeonthissiteSAPninja
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Trends? What trends? No MMO franchise has changed their IP into something like a shared world shooter. None.
    meonthissiteThupli
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
     I doubt we will see a GW3 within the next 5 years.  And the reason I love GW2 so much is because it is not similar to the original which I didnt like all that much.  I would hate for them to go backwards. 
    Reveriellemeonthissite
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    With how badly they've screwed up GW2 starting with HoT, I don't want these clowns anywhere near GW3. Maybe if they bring back the teams that made GW1 or even vanilla GW2, I could get excited. This team? No.
    HarikenReveriellemeonthissiteThupli
    What ANet needs to learn, if they are working on GW3, is that you will retain more players if you make desirables, like legendaries, obtainable without turning the game into a job. I have a few legendaries and getting them was not fun. After every one I got, I immediately quit the game for about a year... because I was like, that was a ridiculous amount of work and I've got.. this.. that does almost nothing... Why am I even doing this? What is my life? Bye.

I went back, of course, and I'm playing it again right now but it's only a matter of time before I start thinking "Oh, I could probably finish about 20-60 single player games in the time it takes to get a shiny in GW2. That would be a much better use of my time".

Worst grind I've ever ever seen in a game, ever.
    LokeroHiromantKyleranmeonthissiteThupli
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    Yes to GW3 no to horizontal progression
    AeanderHiromantmeonthissiteThupli
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237

Trends? What trends? No MMO franchise has changed their IP into something like a shared world shooter. None.

Think he was refering to the trend in creating quasi mmos, not the trend with mmo franchises that turns their mmo into a shared world shooter. Which would be quite narrow to call a trend. Dont spin words for no reason
    jgDuffay said:

Think he was refering to the trend in creating quasi mmos, not the trend with mmo franchises that turns their mmo into a shared world shooter. Which would be quite narrow to call a trend. Dont spin words for no reason
    Show me one MMO IP that has downgraded to a 'quasi MMO'.. please.. so I understand why someone might think this would happen... I would hate to spin words for no reason in the future.
    Tuor7Thupli