Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com’s Best of 2018 Awards - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageMMORPG.com’s Best of 2018 Awards - MMORPG.com

The new year is upon us, and that can only mean one thing. Time for us to look back at the year that was while bracing for the year ahead and recount the best (and worst) games we played during the last twelve months. The entire writing staff of MMORPG.com was polled for this year’s awards, and each game that won had a majority vote in its favor.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    Congrats to the winners. =)
    Mikeha
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I will have to learn more about The Division 2. Looks pretty cool.
    sythrael

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Biggest Controversy - Fallout 76

Least Anticipated Game - Diablo Immortal

Now the awards are complete.
    KalebGraysonbartoni33Octagon7711jarsku85BillMurphyThaharTindale111sythraelAzaron_Nightbladekitaradand 11 others.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Honestly great list, it all makes sense and I have no issues with any of the categories. It's all well deserved.
    [Deleted User]
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    That's a nice list, well done! The only surprise for me was that GW2 didn't make the cut. At least as a runner up.
    goemoe

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    ESO is winning for years now ahahahah
    BillMurphy

Beta tester maniac

RIP Marvel Heroes... special shout-out for that game as I enjoyed it a lot, even though it died in 2017.
    BillMurphymaskedweaselMensur

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

RIP Marvel Heroes... special shout-out for that game as I enjoyed it a lot, even though it died in 2017.

My son, now finally game-age, would LOVE Marvel Heroes. He's 5, so just running around punching guys with Spider-Man, Hulk, etc would have been his everything. Sucks that he cannot. Maybe when Ultimate Alliance 3 comes out.
    Octagon7711sythraelmaskedweaselMensurLackingMMO

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• summerstringssummerstrings Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I guess lists like this are always subjective but I certainly agree that Bless was disappointing and I am glad I held off of buying it . I don't play battle royale style games but in what was one my Rift guilds ts ( most have quit Rift now ) quite a few people play PUBG and Fortnite , I get the impression PUBG is slightly more popular with them .

As for the same community I have heard of no one talking about the Division but a lot are planning to play Anthem ( as will I if the demo/beta turns out to be any good ) . I have heard nothing but good things about the new Assassin Creed game and will certainly play it when its on sale sometime . Never played Path of Exile and don't know any that play it , sounds interesting .

Of the mmos that are likely to have a proper release ( ie not early access release ) Torchlight does sound promising , Maybe City of Titans will make it to release this year too ? Most of the others in development that I am interested in look like they will get a 2020 release at the earliest .

I like Elder Scrolls Online but the questing is far too easy for me which is the reason I only play the base game and get access to the DLC's when they are free for a week .
    Surprised Star Citizen isn't listed for something...  very controversial and record setting in the crowd funding genre.  May even set the record for longest threads on this site. :smile:
    angerbeaver

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited January 2019
      Pretty hard for Bless to be a disapointment if you you paid attention to its development and history common sense dictated a wreck..

Best Indie Game :  Star Traders Frontiers ..   you missed this catergory

CaffynatedKyleranCryomatrixTuor7
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Best mobile game....?

Oh wait, no phones in here.

KyleranBillMurphyPhry

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    congtats bless!
    itchmon
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I think BfA was the bigger disappointment.. and caused more people to be disappointed, myself included. The only good thing about it is Warmode.

BLESS was always going to be mediocre, at best.. and hardly anyone was interested in it anyway.
    Tuor7
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I think BfA was the bigger disappointment.. and caused more people to be disappointed, myself included. The only good thing about it is Warmode.

BLESS was always going to be mediocre, at best.. and hardly anyone was interested in it anyway.
    People blow the little things about BfA WAY out of proportion.
    There was a good number of players that actually enjoyed it.

It's hard to keep returning players around for long when it's a game as old as WoW. About a month after going back, my old boredom returned and I cancelled my sub again. I did like BfA, but it was just more of the same at the end of the day.
    Horusra

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Best mobile game....?

Oh wait, no phones in here.

It would seem almost logical to include that category here, must still be smarting too much from the Diablo fiasco.
    WhiteLantern

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Opinions are like assholes.  Meh to the list.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

People blow the little things about BfA WAY out of proportion.
    There was a good number of players that actually enjoyed it.

It's hard to keep returning players around for long when it's a game as old as WoW. About a month after going back, my old boredom returned and I cancelled my sub again. I did like BfA, but it was just more of the same at the end of the day.
    My issues with BfA were different to most. I'd resubbed 3 months before the launch in preparation for it. Got loads of classes to max.. worked on loads of content and achievements.. then BfA launched and I immediately hated it and quit after a few days. I hated the flow of it, the theme of the zones, the armor and weapon skins, the faction specific split of the new zones so it was like getting half as much content since we all play almost exclusively on one faction, the new mount models, the azurite system... I could list a lot more.

Major flop for me. I was revved for it, returned early to prepare for it, was super excited on launch day.. and got punched in the goolies.
    Azaron_NightbladeTuor7defroststar
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I think the biggest disappointment is what I will take away form this year, most everything else was just meh. Assassins Creed Odyssey was a welcome surprise and I haven't tried Monster Hunter yet. Everything else though to me falls into disappointment.
  • AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Destiny 2 forsaken was just hype by payed *streamers and content creators* , doesn't deserve any spot imo.
    doomex
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Congrats to GGG. Im tempted to pick up odyssey just based on all the awesome reviews of it.

Bless shouldnt have been a disappointment, it was clearly dead on arrival if any one paid attention to their history. It should win a category for fulfilling its destiny to a T.

It was like a fat chick who cant find love in a fat-chick loving country, so they change the fat chick's clothes and do a new hairstyle and then she goes to a skinny loving country and surprise-surprise, she cant find love either. Bloody shocking.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Except perhaps for BoA (which I don't play) I can't agree with the list as I'm currently enjoying FO76 quite a bit, perhaps because I knew exactly what I was getting and in some ways it exceeded my expectations.

Same with the other two which I avoided , I knew what they were and avoided any aggravation.

EVE was my biggest disappointment this year, I resubbed 3 accounts for 3 months but couldn't find enough new of interest to stay with it and let them all lapse once again.
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I suggested last year we have a Best Persistent Online Game, so an Anticipated is quite reasonable. ESO and FFIX are well deserved but who knows next year an indie may take the title...OK I can dream. :)
    [Deleted User]
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited January 2019
    Scot said:
    I suggested last year we have a Best Persistent Online Game, so an Anticipated is quite reasonable. ESO and FFIX are well deserved but who knows next year an indie may take the title...OK I can dream. :)
    The only problem is there is nothing persistent in POE outside your character gear..

Persistent Worlds in games like Eve , UO and SWG are persistent and your actions can have a persistent effect on others game when you log off .. You effect noone in any persistent way in  POE at all ...

with this logic online solitare is now persistent as some of these solitare games will let you unlock special playfields and cardart ...

and with this logic every online game ever made is now persistent
    [Deleted User]Tuor7KyleranScotSamhael
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

My son, now finally game-age, would LOVE Marvel Heroes. He's 5, so just running around punching guys with Spider-Man, Hulk, etc would have been his everything. Sucks that he cannot. Maybe when Ultimate Alliance 3 comes out.
    Coop lego marvel with him.