Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sea of Thieves – Also Misrepresented - MMORPG.com

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited January 2019
    3th most watched game on Twitch with only Fortnite and League Of Legends ahead of it. 
    Sea Of Thieves is ahead of games like Rainbow Six, Counter Strike, DOTA, Call Of Duty, PUBG, Overwatch and World Of Warcraft. 

Prove these haters wrong Rare! ;)  

• BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    edited January 2019
    "Fallout 76 – Also Misrepresented" "State of decay 2 – Also Misrepresented"

You dont even bother with titles anymore. LOLZ.

"Everyone loves a good pirate game."

First of all - no. Not everyone. Second - good game? Like wildstar? 

THE WOW KILLER. :P

Another of these amazing MS/console exclusives. HA!
    SoT is just same stupid multiplayer pvp like any other. What so special about it?

Btw, theres no regional prices in MS store. So its cost more than F76 or GW2.  
    LOLZ.

I personally liked "Pirates! Gold" when i was kid. But now i think AC: Black Flag is (bad AC game :P) amazing game about pirates. But i never played it, despite i got it for free.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Phry said:

Dick1232 said:

SOT is a million times better then Atlas.  

1 million x 0 is still 0 however. :p

yea, but it's always a million time PLUS ONE better!

you don't have sibblings, do you? :P
    Red_Thomas

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Mikeha said:
    3th most watched game on Twitch with only Fortnite and League Of Legends ahead of it. 
    Sea Of Thieves is ahead of games like Rainbow Six, Counter Strike, DOTA, Call Of Duty, PUBG, Overwatch and World Of Warcraft. 

If Summit and his 45K viewers werent there they wouldnt have 5K people watching it.

You get a feel for what games are consistantly top 5 or 10 and when something appears out of the blue you know someone like lirik or Cohh or some other  guy is streaming it for shits and giggles (or money).

I suspect Summit who crucified Atlas was approached by the SoT guys and he is getting well compensated for playing that game right now. Its all about timing. I would also be remiss to say I suspect h alf of the 'viewers' Summit has are bots because he generally cant break 25K on a 'normal' night. 

So far the best war action has been the propaganda and viewbot war between Atlas and SoT both utter failures at what they claimed to be wanting and what they actually delivered. And save the "Atlas is EA" That didnt stop them from making all the claims during the hype tour or making that movie claiming it was in game footage.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited January 2019
    rodarin said:
    Mikeha said:

If Summit and his 45K viewers werent there they wouldnt have 5K people watching it.

Cool story bro, B) 

Prove these haters wrong Rare!!!!!!!!!

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Mikeha said:
    rodarin said:
    Mikeha said:

Cool story bro, B) 

Also the fact that counter-strike is on a player break.  When the tournaments start up again, it will be on back on top, so there's that as well.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2019
    crankked said:
    I hope we are not going to start praising these clowns after they released a piece of shit unfinished game and then were kind enough to give the DLC's for free. So sick of all these gaming studios flooding the market with garbage, taking months/years to fix it, but still charge full price on release. Sad state of affairs we are in today.....

Also @Rhoklaw: Couldn't agree more on not supporting OS exclusive titles. If it's on PC, it should work on PC and not be limited to your shitty Win 10 software that no one wants, but is now being forced down our throats by Intel and MS.
    One thing to consider is that there are some technical differences between Win10 and Win7.  For one, there are directX versions and a lot of current drivers that aren't backward compatible, and end of life happens for operating systems, just like it happens for any other software.   You can spend all your time infinitely regression testing and fixing issues with older OSs.

From a developmental standpoint, you're demanding they invest effort in supporting something that they may not get a return on their investment for.  Stuff that runs on one doesn't always run on the other, so it's not like they're writing in some code that blocks it from working on the earlier OS.  It's just not supported.  You might even still be able to get it to run if you really wanted to.

There's nothing wrong with voting with your dollar.  I do it myself because I don't buy console games.  I want PC and I think consoles hurt video games a lot, so I don't buy games that are released on console and often won't buy them if they started on console and ported.

I think the reverse compatibility thing might be a little bit unreasonable, though.  MS can't support Win7 forever.

I'm super empathetic to the aversion to Win10's spyware.  I'm a cyber dude and a former intel dude, so I'm right there with you.  There are ways to disable/block all of it, though.  Just takes a little research and effort.
    I guess the better question is: should it take independent consumer research merely to prevent the automatic harvesting of data from the user in this way?

My opinion is no.  If every electronic app or product required such research, no one would have time to do anything but that to keep their information secure.

• Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    Bananable said:
    "Fallout 76 – Also Misrepresented" "State of decay 2 – Also Misrepresented"

You dont even bother with titles anymore. LOLZ.

"Everyone loves a good pirate game."

First of all - no. Not everyone. Second - good game? Like wildstar? 

THE WOW KILLER. :P

Another of these amazing MS/console exclusives. HA!
    SoT is just same stupid multiplayer pvp like any other. What so special about it?

Btw, theres no regional prices in MS store. So its cost more than F76 or GW2.  
    LOLZ.

I personally liked "Pirates! Gold" when i was kid. But now i think AC: Black Flag is (bad AC game :P) amazing game about pirates. But i never played it, despite i got it for free.
    ...I think you might be confusing authors.  I've never covered State of Decay of any version.  My last FO76 article was "Fallout 76: Uninstalled" (https://www.mmorpg.com/fallout-76/columns/fallout-76-uninstalled-1000013255)

Also don't think I ever called Wildstar a WoW killer.   I did think (and may have said at some point) that Crowfall had a really good chance at it.  I still do to a degree, though I think WoW has largely died off to old age at this point.

I acknowledged a few successes in my FO76 articles.  Is that maybe what you're referring to?

... So I guess I'm not sure what your point is.  "LOLZ"

Rhoklaw said:
    No, actually you would be incorrect. I said Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 are Windows 10 exclusive games on the PC. It wasn't until just recently that Windows 10 outpaced Windows 7 in overall usage. It's stuff like this where Windows tries to coerce people into upgrades they don't want. I also said I have Windows 10 on my laptop, but I still chose not to purchase it.
    Last I checked the free upgrade from 7 to 10 still worked.   They never disabled it.  Just set an end date and stopped advertising.

Stick it to the man by getting his product for free.  =P
    Hashbrick said:
    Also the fact that counter-strike is on a player break.  When the tournaments start up again, it will be on back on top, so there's that as well.
    Just no accounting for lack of taste...  =*(
    I guess the better question is: should it take independent consumer research merely to prevent the automatic harvesting of data from the user in this way?

My opinion is no.  If every electronic app or product required such research, no one would have time to do anything but that to keep their information secure.
    I'm not sure how you'd do that.  Someone would have to pay for it, and you don't want the software developer paying for it themselves.

On top of that, there's the big question of revenue.  If you're not paying for the product, it's because you are the product (to borrow an old phrase).  There's a reason Win10 is free, just like Google, Facebook, Youtube, and all the other free stuff out there.  You're either being advertised to, or your data is being collected and sold.

Personally, I don't really object to my data being collected and sold, but I do demand that it be anonymized.  I think THAT is where we should focus effort and be able to have some successes.  Saying a guy in San Antonio is interested in a rack-mount UPS is fine.  Saying Red Thomas at a specific address just bought a specific UPS...  That's pushing it too far.

I think if we could define what level of detail constitutes privacy and then just have inspections to ensure more granular data isn't being collected, then companies could still develop and use those cool free tools we all love, and our privacy would still be protected.

In the case of Win10, the data they collected was actually all about security.  They wanted to make sure you kept your system up to date and they wanted to use their systems to track the flow of malicious activity.  Noble idea, just didn't really consider the privacy concerns that would generate.
    Mikeha said:
    rodarin said:
    Mikeha said:

Cool story bro, B) 

Prove these haters wrong Rare!!!!!!!!!

Not sure what that second SS is supposed to represent. A lot of people are buying a bad game? Shocking....
    rodarin said:
    Not sure what that second SS is supposed to represent. A lot of people are buying a bad game? Shocking....
    ...Well, if a lot of people are buying it, it's by definition not a bad game.   Any game that sells successfully enough to make the studio a profit was a good game.   If it wasn't a good game, then the target audience wouldn't buy it and the game wouldn't be profitable.

I don't like Gears of War, but hey.  It's selling well, so it's a good game.   Just not one I care for.  I can go all day listing things I don't like about GoW, but none of it makes it a bad game if the market says otherwise.
    rodarin said:
    ...Well, if a lot of people are buying it, it's by definition not a bad game.   Any game that sells successfully enough to make the studio a profit was a good game.   If it wasn't a good game, then the target audience wouldn't buy it and the game wouldn't be profitable.

I don't like Gears of War, but hey.  It's selling well, so it's a good game.   Just not one I care for.  I can go all day listing things I don't like about GoW, but none of it makes it a bad game if the market says otherwise.
    LMAO you must be young or something. How many tens of millions do you think games like Warhammer online, Age of Conan (the first one), and Wildstar made JUST on box sales?

People buy shit every day. People bought FO 76 even when it was clearly a steaming pile of crap.

I say it in the Star Citizen forums all the time, you cant underestimate the stupidity of people enough.

Video games dont have that same ratio of 'good'/playable to money made as other things do. In fact its sometimes the opposite, the worse a game or project is the more money it makes (because it has potential or vision). Again look at Star Citizen. A true phenomenon. literally (I guess its been verified) hundreds of millions raised. What do they have? A broken tech demo test bed servers and about a hundred jpegs that havent been made into ships, and tank jpegs that will probably never be made into game assets. Along with land and anything and everything else they sold.

The EA and kickstarter and crowdfunded games that hide behind some semantics bullshit are why the video gaming industry and MMO portion of it are where they are now and why phone games are basically taking over. Because its all a bunch of washed up never weres or try hards selling shit anyone with common sense knows isnt possible and then when the inevitable failure happens it just adds more victims to the pile of failures already realized.
    rodarin said:
    LMAO you must be young or something. How many tens of millions do you think games like Warhammer online, Age of Conan (the first one), and Wildstar made JUST on box sales?

People buy shit every day. People bought FO 76 even when it was clearly a steaming pile of crap.

I say it in the Star Citizen forums all the time, you cant underestimate the stupidity of people enough.

Video games dont have that same ratio of 'good'/playable to money made as other things do. In fact its sometimes the opposite, the worse a game or project is the more money it makes (because it has potential or vision). Again look at Star Citizen. A true phenomenon. literally (I guess its been verified) hundreds of millions raised. What do they have? A broken tech demo test bed servers and about a hundred jpegs that havent been made into ships, and tank jpegs that will probably never be made into game assets. Along with land and anything and everything else they sold.

The EA and kickstarter and crowdfunded games that hide behind some semantics bullshit are why the video gaming industry and MMO portion of it are where they are now and why phone games are basically taking over. Because its all a bunch of washed up never weres or try hards selling shit anyone with common sense knows isnt possible and then when the inevitable failure happens it just adds more victims to the pile of failures already realized.
    Actually, I'm a business owner and an angel investor/venture capitalist, and I'm 40.

I'd say I have a pretty good understanding of the economics and market around video games.

Your mistake is that you've developed an opinion and decided that your belief constitutes absolute truth.  All other differing opinions are invalid and misguided, no matter what empirical data (eg, sales figures) say.

Games are business.  The jobs of developers are to create something that makes the company profit.   If the game it profitable, it doesn't really matter how much you personally hate it, the game was a success.  Building games people want is good business, so teams spend a lot of time figuring out what their consumers want.   Guess what?  They've spoken very loudly that they want early access and that they don't care much about how buggy the game is when they get it.  Thus, that's what developers create.

Their ROI is higher for features than it is for stability and consistent functionality.  That's what they work on.  The other stuff is important, too.  It all gets balanced by the executive producer to ensure developer time is spent so that the company gets the best bang for their buck.  Whatever that studio thinks that happens to be.

Star Citizen is a good example.   It's a game I don't support.  I have a number of very serious issues with the studio, development, and personal issues with a number of involved people...   All that said, it's a successful game.  They've been profitable.  The fact that I don't like it has nothing to do with the empirical fact of the project's success.

Funny thing about facts.  They don't really care about your opinion.
    Sovrath
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Thane said:

Phry said:

Dick1232 said:

SOT is a million times better then Atlas.  

1 million x 0 is still 0 however. :p

yea, but it's always a million time PLUS ONE better!

you don't have sibblings, do you? :P
    He's married so no you can't have him. :p
    Torval said:
    The resistance to software upgrades baffles me. Most companies charge hundreds of dollars for major version upgrades. Windows licensing has effectively gotten a bit cheaper and more consistent and more robust if you consider how they can be tied to your account. Given the choice I'll use Win 10 of 7 any day, if I have to us a Windows desktop.

I don't use Windows anymore and don't even think about using it anymore except as that workstation I remote into for work. Almost anything I could want to play is on my PS4 and if not I could get an XBox or Switch. About 80% of my Steam library works well on Ubuntu as it is. All of the games I truly care about (replay) work great so, for me, PC gaming is fine not on Windows. My file I/O is massively better that's for certain. SteamPlay and Proton rock.

It's nice not even having to think about that much anymore. If I don't like the defaults coming in 19.04 (which I do) then I can run what I want, or change distros with very little effort. It's a completely different way of thinking that is incredibly liberating beyond the price tag (which I don't really care about).

oops. sorry i got so OT.
    As a once-upon-a-time sysad, I have more than my share of upgrade horror stories.   There are a ton of reasons why folks resist.  I hated them because so many were brittle and could (and pretty often did) take systems down. 

The other issue is that upgrades often change the way things work, so that breaks your workflow and can be really frustrating.  Elasticsearch changed the way documents were labeled between versions 5 and 6, and that completely busted some of the tricks I was using in my logstash ingests for processing some types of cyber data.

I think the Win10 resistance is the most legitimate of all reasons, though.  MS definitely included some really dirty stuff in Win10 that it's totally fair to be upset about.  I delayed the upgrade myself while trying to figure out how to deal with it.

All that said, upgrades are important and everyone should be doing them.  WannaCry has been the absolute prime example of why you have to stay updated, and it's just the best example.  MS and other devs fix tons of vulns every minute and not patching just leaves you out there waiting to get pwned.

...and btw...   Security is ALWAYS on topic.  =P
    [Deleted User]
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2019

I'm not sure how you'd do that.  Someone would have to pay for it, and you don't want the software developer paying for it themselves.

On top of that, there's the big question of revenue.  If you're not paying for the product, it's because you are the product (to borrow an old phrase).  There's a reason Win10 is free, just like Google, Facebook, Youtube, and all the other free stuff out there.  You're either being advertised to, or your data is being collected and sold.

Personally, I don't really object to my data being collected and sold, but I do demand that it be anonymized.  I think THAT is where we should focus effort and be able to have some successes.  Saying a guy in San Antonio is interested in a rack-mount UPS is fine.  Saying Red Thomas at a specific address just bought a specific UPS...  That's pushing it too far.

I think if we could define what level of detail constitutes privacy and then just have inspections to ensure more granular data isn't being collected, then companies could still develop and use those cool free tools we all love, and our privacy would still be protected.

In the case of Win10, the data they collected was actually all about security.  They wanted to make sure you kept your system up to date and they wanted to use their systems to track the flow of malicious activity.  Noble idea, just didn't really consider the privacy concerns that would generate.
    True enough, though the usage of the data here doesn't seem to indicate Win 10 users are the product; as you say, the goal seemed to be security.

The complex issue is that most consumers, if asked individually, would tell you they want full control over their data, even if that means they're responsible for their equipment's security.  That wouldn't be an issue, except that viruses and worms don't just stick around on one system; one infected system poses a risk to any other system that can communicate with the infected system.  So, in essence, the user becomes responsible for their own equipment and, in part, others' equipment.

In that sense, I agree with you: it's not an easy answer.  However, my point isn't so much that the collecting of data is always wrong; it's how some companies intentionally make opting out or turning sharing off an exercise in software-nerd forum surfing.  That's not a workable level of required expertise for all electronic apps and equipment modern society mandates on us, and see the net result: highly vulnerable consumers. 
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    Red_Thomas

rodarin said:

Actually, I'm a business owner and an angel investor/venture capitalist, and I'm 40.

I'd say I have a pretty good understanding of the economics and market around video games.

Your mistake is that you've developed an opinion and decided that your belief constitutes absolute truth.  All other differing opinions are invalid and misguided, no matter what empirical data (eg, sales figures) say.

Games are business.  The jobs of developers are to create something that makes the company profit.   If the game it profitable, it doesn't really matter how much you personally hate it, the game was a success.  Building games people want is good business, so teams spend a lot of time figuring out what their consumers want.   Guess what?  They've spoken very loudly that they want early access and that they don't care much about how buggy the game is when they get it.  Thus, that's what developers create.

Their ROI is higher for features than it is for stability and consistent functionality.  That's what they work on.  The other stuff is important, too.  It all gets balanced by the executive producer to ensure developer time is spent so that the company gets the best bang for their buck.  Whatever that studio thinks that happens to be.

Star Citizen is a good example.   It's a game I don't support.  I have a number of very serious issues with the studio, development, and personal issues with a number of involved people...   All that said, it's a successful game.  They've been profitable.  The fact that I don't like it has nothing to do with the empirical fact of the project's success.

Funny thing about facts.  They don't really care about your opinion.
    the fact that you think SC is a success negates everything. Other than if Roberts and his cronies actually have siphoned off enough money to buy the yacht he claims he doesnt own. NOTHING about SC beyond the money they have separated from saps is by any stretch a success. SO in essence its a very successful con. Maybe it didnt start that way but at this point it is. I imagine ROberts realizes they have little to no actual legit chance to release anything recognizable as "star citizen' they blew through 200+ million already and they havent got shit to show for it. So continuing to take money knowing the chances are slim to none is a con, scam, whatever you want to call it. The only defense is the white knights will claim he still thinks he can make it. Which also goes against history and common sense because the guy is doing EXACTLY the same thing he did 20 years ago when he disappeared from the gaming world. Overspending and over glitzing and never delivering.

As for the other 'bottom line' stuff thats why there ownt ever be a decent MMO ever made again especially by companies who are worried about making money. Its also why for the most part 95% of the games put out are total trash.

2018 was a banner year and even with some of the gems that came out this year I would say maybe 20 were actually decent. Of copurse thats all opinion but even if you took everyones opinion you couldnt come up with 35 game titles that people would think were acceptable let alone good. And that would include me saying FO 76 wasnt as bad as it was made out to be even though 90% of the people polled would say it sucked.
  • crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284

Torval said:
    The resistance to software upgrades baffles me. Most companies charge hundreds of dollars for major version upgrades. Windows licensing has effectively gotten a bit cheaper and more consistent and more robust if you consider how they can be tied to your account. Given the choice I'll use Win 10 of 7 any day, if I have to us a Windows desktop.

I don't use Windows anymore and don't even think about using it anymore except as that workstation I remote into for work. Almost anything I could want to play is on my PS4 and if not I could get an XBox or Switch. About 80% of my Steam library works well on Ubuntu as it is. All of the games I truly care about (replay) work great so, for me, PC gaming is fine not on Windows. My file I/O is massively better that's for certain. SteamPlay and Proton rock.

It's nice not even having to think about that much anymore. If I don't like the defaults coming in 19.04 (which I do) then I can run what I want, or change distros with very little effort. It's a completely different way of thinking that is incredibly liberating beyond the price tag (which I don't really care about).

oops. sorry i got so OT.

As a once-upon-a-time sysad, I have more than my share of upgrade horror stories.   There are a ton of reasons why folks resist.  I hated them because so many were brittle and could (and pretty often did) take systems down. 

The other issue is that upgrades often change the way things work, so that breaks your workflow and can be really frustrating.  Elasticsearch changed the way documents were labeled between versions 5 and 6, and that completely busted some of the tricks I was using in my logstash ingests for processing some types of cyber data.

I think the Win10 resistance is the most legitimate of all reasons, though.  MS definitely included some really dirty stuff in Win10 that it's totally fair to be upset about.  I delayed the upgrade myself while trying to figure out how to deal with it.

All that said, upgrades are important and everyone should be doing them.  WannaCry has been the absolute prime example of why you have to stay updated, and it's just the best example.  MS and other devs fix tons of vulns every minute and not patching just leaves you out there waiting to get pwned.

It's not just the spyware stuff, it's the layout of WIN 10 that bothers me as well. They changed all the settings and now it seems like it's designed for stupid people who don't know how to change settings properly. I feel like they didn't want to take as many customer service calls, so they just dumbed it down. As a person who is able to make said changes without problem, that irritates me a lot.
    crankked said:

It's not just the spyware stuff, it's the layout of WIN 10 that bothers me as well. They changed all the settings and now it seems like it's designed for stupid people who don't know how to change settings properly. I feel like they didn't want to take as many customer service calls, so they just dumbed it down. As a person who is able to make said changes without problem, that irritates me a lot.
    That really hacked me off, too.  Still does, along with the fact that they have something like three different branches of the code base right now and each works a little differently.

There's no doubt that Win10 hasn't really lived up to the typical MS development pattern.  98 good, ME trash, 7 good, 8 trash, 10...  well, not exactly good.  =)

One of those head-scratching things I complain about is the way they load your start menu.  They fill it with trash to start with and don't over you a way to easily clear it all at once.
  • Dick1232Dick1232 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    SOT is awesome, and will stay awesome
  • kryntokkryntok Member UncommonPosts: 77

PREACH IT
  • AlmostLancelotAlmostLancelot Member UncommonPosts: 135
    edited January 2019
    Mikeha said:

Which is thanks to Summit, entirely.

Summit1g, for those who might not be familiar, has been a top name on Twitch right from the point that they purchased JustinTV and transformed it into the Twitch brand. He has a large audience, is the 5th most subscribed to channel on Twitch and has been playing SoT hardcore for the last three to four weeks garnering massive popularity to the title.

Also, whoever mentioned CSGO (Hashbrick iirc), it hasn't been on top in ages and the player break has no relevance in that regard. Not sure when the last time you watched Twitch was, but your information is dreadfully out of date and entirely inaccurate.

CSGO was 7th in terms of number of hours viewed for October 2018 across the entire platform. Falling behind the likes of Fortnite, LoL, Black Ops 4, DOTA2 and even WoW. Hell, even Just Chatting received more viewership than CGSO did. That trend has been fairly consistent throughout the year.

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/507786/leading-game-content-twitch-by-number-hours-viewed/

League has always been on top and the only game to ever push them into the second spot has been Fortnite.

CS is, and has only ever been, popular when LANs or other events are being broadcast. Primarily on ESL or ESEAs channels.

Post edited by AlmostLancelot on
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Torval said:

oops. sorry i got so OT.

I tried upgrading my Sager laptop from Win 7 to 10 when they first offered it.

My sound card ceased working and I started getting BSODs while trying to work through the issues.

Was far easier to just roll back to 7 and never look back.

I contacted Sager for help who said it was likely due to poor driver support and they said my laptop only was certified for Win 7, and  8, for Win 10 I was on my own.

I'll likely buy a new laptop this year with Win 10 on it and solve the problem.

Doesn't matter now, getting ready to go back in time with the rising of the Phoenix.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon