Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Former Hearthstone Dev Ben Brode Resurfaces with $30M from NetEase & a Deal with Marvel - MMORPG.co

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageFormer Hearthstone Dev Ben Brode Resurfaces with $30M from NetEase & a Deal with Marvel - MMORPG.com News

Former Hearthstone Executive Producer Ben Brode has resurfaced with a huge announcement today. Brode and Hamilton Chu (also former Hearthstone) formed Second Dinner in late 2018 but have been cagey about what they were up to...until today. The pair have revealed a $30M minority investment from NetEase and a deal with Marvel for an as-yet-unannounced mobile game.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Honestly, I think this is fantastic. Brode & Chu remind me of the "Blizzard that was" with their affable good humor and how much they love making games. Though I wish it wasn't a mobile game, I'm still very interested to see what they make. :)
    Celcius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    yea ...  mobile .................. pass
    KalebGraysonAlomarkillerqueerBeezerbeezTruvidien88ScotdarkopexwingoodPhry
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    SBFord said:
    Honestly, I think this is fantastic. Brode & Chu remind me of the "Blizzard that was" with their affable good humor and how much they love making games. Though I wish it wasn't a mobile game, I'm still very interested to see what they make. :)
    Yeah but the Blizzard that was, wasn't on mobile. 
    ScotTacticalZombehPhry
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Another Marvel mobile game?

I'll just take my victory in Marvel: UA3 and be satisfied with that.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    SBFord said:
    Perhaps not, but it's THE platform in this day and age with the sheer spread and dollar potential. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    SBFord said:
    SBFord said:
    Perhaps not, but it's THE platform in this day and age with the sheer spread and dollar potential. 
    We can't say why they chose mobile for sure, but it's safe to say it wasn't due to lack of market for PC games since PC market has never been bigger than now.

People keep making this argument that $$$ is in the mobile market as if the PC market has diminished or the same people who gamed on PC have migrated to mobile. These are very different markets with different target audiences with huge differences in different regions. The dollar potential isn't that simple. The bigger the market the harder the competition becomes. Specially with China being the dominant mobile market and there are thousands of games getting released on mobile platform every month. Despite the jokes, that ain't an easy market to beat. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Ben Brode & Marvel? I'm interested.
    SBFord
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Brode hmmm
    I never once got to witness ANYTHING good he or any of team 5 did for Hearthstone.

On day 1 of release and during beta ,i mentioned my concerns and wants and   after waiting 50+ idk is it like 100 seasons now,i saw NOTHING change.

Their very slack effort mini games were just that,VERY weak efforts.
    Having played a better tcg,MTG for about 15+ years ,i can say HS does NOTHING well except presentation,online viewing is decent.

I wanted more themes per class,i wanted multiplayer at least 2 vs 2,i want a regular setup of mini ladders leading to tourny UI every month run or automated by Blizzard,they have done NONE  of it.
    I wanted to better interact with each turn,again NOTHING.When you do not allow turn by turn interaction it leads to problematic cards that have forever needed nerfs in this game.A stack is needed to accomplish a better interactive game.A sideboard should be used tournament play because the decks are too refined and small to add tech.OTK is NEVER good for the game,a 100% non interactive design.

Way way more is needed to make the game more viable like reducing top decking and rng>>>>mulligans every turn can accomplish that as done by Duelyst.It is endless,a poorly designed and never fixed game while under Brode tells me Brode is NOT THE GUY.

No VISION,no creativity and seemingly no ability to see needed change,sop to me he is just a face who likes to laugh and smile "FAKE" to give that false perception that everything is just great.I would not have ANY hope for anything Brode is involved in,at least not as a gamer,maybe for the business.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    SBFord said:
    SBFord said:
    We can't say why they chose mobile for sure, but it's safe to say it wasn't due to lack of market for PC games since PC market has never been bigger than now.

People keep making this argument that $$$ is in the mobile market as if the PC market has diminished or the same people who gamed on PC have migrated to mobile. These are very different markets with different target audiences with huge differences in different regions. The dollar potential isn't that simple. The bigger the market the harder the competition becomes. Specially with China being the dominant mobile market and there are thousands of games getting released on mobile platform every month. Despite the jokes, that ain't an easy market to beat. 
    I agree that the PC markets and mobile markets don't actually compete with one another.  At least not in the west.

Yes, the potential is bigger because of the vast base of consumers who own the requisite hardware, but like Constantine said, I don't know anyone who dropped PC gaming to go mobile.

I hate to say it (not really), but it doesn't boil down to profits vs. no profit, it boils down to profits vs. more profits.  In that sense, it's hard to believe any dev is moving into the mobile realm specifically for their "vision".
    ConstantineMeruswingood

• rudolfrealrudolfreal Member UncommonPosts: 26
    god damn another mobile game?
    Truvidien88wingood
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

SBFord said:

Well mobile these days could be a 12 inch screen or more and you can throw in a mobile keyboard - MS do a really nice one - and a mouse if you wish.

Whereas back then PC screens were typically 14 inches with a lower dpi and much bigger pixel size. Indeed it was only more recent games e.g. DAoC that used the full screen. EQ1 for example basically ran in a window often on a 12 inch monitor.

These days though 55 inch or bigger monitor are the order of the day ....
    SBFord[Deleted User]
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    edited January 2019
    You know what I appreciate about this site compared to other news outlets? The heading and opening of the article clearly indicates they are working on a MOBILE Marvel game. I went to a large, unnamed video game news site and their article only mentions them as former Blizzard devs working on a Marvel game. How many first time readers would interpret that article heading as a AAA experience?

Thank you for actually informing!
    SBFordcmacqAzaron_Nightblade[Deleted User]
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Lets hope you guys have phones by now if you didn't already.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Another Marvel mobile game (presumed)?!? Somebody needs to throw some love toward DC.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    netease ? LOL americans will never learn

China is coming eat you all, p2w whales where are you, give them your economy !!
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    he got 65% of what Chris Roberts got and he didnt have to sell any shares of himself or blow through 200 million
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    gervaise1 said:

SBFord said:

Well mobile these days could be a 12 inch screen or more and you can throw in a mobile keyboard - MS do a really nice one - and a mouse if you wish.

Whereas back then PC screens were typically 14 inches with a lower dpi and much bigger pixel size. Indeed it was only more recent games e.g. DAoC that used the full screen. EQ1 for example basically ran in a window often on a 12 inch monitor.

These days though 55 inch or bigger monitor are the order of the day ....
    Throwing in a connectible keyboard and mouse diminishes the portability, which then begins to make the choice to go with a lower-power mobile rig less attractive than simply foregoing the portability altogether and getting the extra power outta your hardware.
    ConstantineMerus

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Yeah, marvel and mobile, two things i'm not interested in at all.
    Truvidien88
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    The strategic timing of this must be applauded.

Netease waited to see if the masses were shifting towards more complicated card game mechanics like Artifact offers and turns out they weren't.

Blizzard being currently wounded on the ground leaves the perfect opportunity to create a Marvel Hearthstone clone using two guys with extensive knowledge of the inner workings of that game and company. Pumping 30mil into a game like Hearthstone which cost a fraction of that to make must have Blizzard on the phone with their attorneys discussing if those two guys are in violation of whatever contract they signed when they started work there. On top of all that if Marvel(the most profitable IP in the world) goes all in with this and the game turns out to be good then it could be the killing blow and Blizzard as a brand will not even exist in 10 years or just sell to some foreign company.

Above is all speculation and opinion of course.
  • MarvignoMarvigno Member CommonPosts: 7
    edited January 2019
    NetEase? Mobile?

BananableTruvidien88Scot
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    "You had me at mobile"

Sincerely,

Truvidien88[Deleted User]
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    edited January 2019
    NetEase = Garbage.

It may be biased.
    It's 100% stereotyping.

I shall reap the rewards of my prophesy.

Another Marvel mobile game (presumed)?!? Somebody needs to throw some love toward DC.

They did.  The LoL clone.  WB shut that down fast due to lack of interest.

• BobVaBobVa Member UncommonPosts: 125

BruceYee said:

The strategic timing of this must be applauded.

Netease waited to see if the masses were shifting towards more complicated card game mechanics like Artifact offers and turns out they weren't.

Blizzard being currently wounded on the ground leaves the perfect opportunity to create a Marvel Hearthstone clone using two guys with extensive knowledge of the inner workings of that game and company. Pumping 30mil into a game like Hearthstone which cost a fraction of that to make must have Blizzard on the phone with their attorneys discussing if those two guys are in violation of whatever contract they signed when they started work there. On top of all that if Marvel(the most profitable IP in the world) goes all in with this and the game turns out to be good then it could be the killing blow and Blizzard as a brand will not even exist in 10 years or just sell to some foreign company.

Above is all speculation and opinion of course.

I pretty much agree.

Blizzard is already starting to look like a company of the past and I believe 2019 will be the year where Blizzard will go back on-track, or fall hard. If 2019 will be a fail year for Blizzard, Activision will milk them so hard, that in 5 years Blizzard name will just be a...logo at the beginning of a game and that's it.

When Mike Morhaime stepped down as CEO, it was a sad day for me and I knew things are not going to get better, because .. let's face it , you don't leave your company you created 20+ years ago because .. you want to retire.

..and I blame Allen Adham for everything. He came back 2 years ago at Blizzard.

I'll just leave this here : "After more than a decade away from the company, it was announced at BlizzCon 2016 that Adham would be rejoining Blizzard. Adham states, "I’m free to say it now ... In hindsight, leaving Blizzard was probably the biggest mistake I made in my life. What I should have done was just take a sabbatical. I’ve been eager to come back for a decade now."

From my point of view, that statement came after his biggest regret of his life and now , well .. let's just say he wants to be BACK for good. Mobile games which Blizzard are currently working and as he said , the most talented Blizz dev's are working on them, it was his idea.

I know, this might sound as a .. conspiracy theory , but based on the events of the last months at Blizzard, the above can make (much) sense.

BruceYee
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    I will be sure to miss this one. Thanks for the heads up!
    Truvidien88Phry
  • BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    SBFord said:
    LOLZ.

Isnt thats what made D. fans angry? 
    NetEase...
    Announcement...
    Moblile game..?