Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tim Eisen: A Relationship with Gaming, 2018 Edition - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageTim Eisen: A Relationship with Gaming, 2018 Edition - MMORPG.com

While I've taken greater efforts to produce more honed work I feel this format is necessary once a year, generally at the beginning. Call it a digital fire-side chat if you will. One in which I can remove the mask of professionalism and have a bit of a heart-to-heart with the readers that enable me to have what was and is an enjoyable job.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Gdemami

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Well, I'm confused... are Tim Eisen and Aaron Couture the same person?
    --------------------------------------------
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Nope, that was the incorrect author attribution from the drop down list. :P
    WellspringLokeroTuor7Scot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

SBFord said:

Haha thank you for clearing that up. Now I can move past that paradox and read the rest of the article!
    SBFord
    --------------------------------------------
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2019
    The dilemma of loot boxes and micro transactions is a big time problem ruining any chance games have of being designed around the consumer instead of the seller.

I remeber when cash shops first arrived,pretty much started with Smedly in EQ2 in NA but of course was around over seas sooner.I mildly thought the idea wouldn't stick,i thought consumers would be more intelligent and scoff at the idea but nope,consumers are more like suckers than intelligent.

Seeing that picture of Super Smash bros really grinds me because that is one particular game i feel it total garbage but pushed because it is part of the ESPORT genre.If i rated SSB i would give it a 1/10 that is how crap i feel it is on all aspects of game design.

WHY does any of this matter?It matters because EVERYTHING surrounding gaming right now has to do with $$$ and NOT about a fun hobby.Streamers streaming for $$$ not for the FUN of sharing game experiences.Publishers and investors want in for the $$$ not for the passion for gaming.Developers are looking more for a monetary angle,a market than passionate game design.NOBODY in business is doing this for the right reasons....hobby...>>>FUN.
    Tuor7HluillKalebGraysonkjempffkitarad

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's like Tim combined Festivus and Christmas into one holiday and decided to hold it on New Years.

Words that triggered me in 2018: influencer. soft launch, loot box.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Thanks for the fun read, as always Tim.

Your points about influencers directing consumer dollars is poignant. Fear of missing out has been used and abused by dev studios and influencers to get folks to purchase products that, quite frankly, don't deserve to be released based solely on technical quality. We see examples of devs that don't ever fix said technical issues, yet we can't get away from the hype all over the internet about the new Fallout 76- it's gonna be just like the rest of the series, but with friends! Whoo boy, did that one not work out like anyone thought it would.

But that's okay, because you got a phone right??? And the same old Blizzard you know and love is (dead!) bringing their Diablo goodness to mobile! Only, it's not even Blizzard developing it. But still, that's what we've all been praying Blizzard would do this past year!
    Gdemami[Deleted User]

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    SBFord said:
    Lies. Your secrets have now been unmasked.  There ARE NO authors here.  Admit it. You write all the articles and then select a random name from a dropdown list to make us think there are others.  Actually... I think you are really Bill, and Bill is really MikeB...

How deep does this conspiracy go?

This is why peeling onions makes me cry.

[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

"Speaking of, if DAOC, UO or SWG launched today would they succeed? It's hard to retain us in the digital shill and kneel era."

Do we keep the bar at the same level for success as it was when they launched? If so, then yes they would succeed. If we have now moved to consider success being Fortnite's $3B in revenue, then no they wouldn't. There is plenty of cash to be made for small teams. They just need to stop trying to compete with Activision/Blizzard. 50,000 subs at $19.99 is a million a month. That's not something that will interest the massive companies, but should be plenty to keep teams like the old Mythic or Origin teams well funded.

MadFrenchieGdemamiSovrathtweedledumb99[Deleted User]kitarad

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228

SBFord said:

Seems to me weve discovered Tim Eisens secret pseudonym and you're trying to do damage control. Its a conspiracy I tells ya!
    [Deleted User]
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Iselin said:
    It's like Tim combined Festivus and Christmas into one holiday and decided to hold it on New Years.

The word that triggers me is "journey ... "

For example, when someone from one of those "singing shows" or reality TV shows says something like "when I started this Journey" or "My journey led me to greater understanding of "

etc.

erm, what were we talking about again?
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2019
    Iselin said:

While we're listing words that need to go die in a ditch (no offense to you Iselin, because I'm referencing the general prevalence of its usage everywhere): triggered.

And "slam."  The news loves that fucking word: "Trump slams Dems, Dems slam Trump back!" "Obama's nose hairs slammed by Breitbart!"  What an unimaginative word.
    [Deleted User]

Iselin said:

While we're listing words that need to go die in a ditch (no offense to you Iselin, because I'm referencing the general prevalence of its usage everywhere): triggered.

And "slam."  The news loves that fucking word: "Trump slams Dems, Dems slam Trump back!" "Obama's nose hairs slammed by Breitbart!"  What an unimaginative word.
    Clapback

MadFrenchie

SBFord said:

Seems to me weve discovered Tim Eisens secret pseudonym and you're trying to do damage control. Its a conspiracy I tells ya!
    Actually when I wrote this article I was going to put in a paragraph about how game companies have been in perpetual damage control mode.  Think Diablo Immortal, Atlas, etc...

I'll save it for my next column.

[Deleted User]Wellspring

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    edited January 2019
    If RDR 2 could make even Tim think it was a great game that shows you the power of a genuine digital world. Something we have moved towards then back away from so many times in the history of gaming, if we want games to evolve to the next level that us where they have to go.
    As for a digital fireside chat, you are always going to get that guy who makes out their virtual world really was that big. :) image
    [Deleted User]
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Good read. Hey I think I recognize one of those crowdfunded games you referenced. ;)
    [Deleted User]

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Everyone is buying tulip onions. To make money. The bubble will burst.
    After the bang. Tulips will once more be sold.
    Because of their beauty and smell.

If you guessed this was about f2p then you may be right.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
  • seldinseldin Member UncommonPosts: 196

Wizardry said:

The dilemma of loot boxes and micro transactions is a big time problem ruining any chance games have of being designed around the consumer instead of the seller.

I remeber when cash shops first arrived,pretty much started with Smedly in EQ2 in NA but of course was around over seas sooner.I mildly thought the idea wouldn't stick,i thought consumers would be more intelligent and scoff at the idea but nope,consumers are more like suckers than intelligent.

Seeing that picture of Super Smash bros really grinds me because that is one particular game i feel it total garbage but pushed because it is part of the ESPORT genre.If i rated SSB i would give it a 1/10 that is how crap i feel it is on all aspects of game design.

WHY does any of this matter?It matters because EVERYTHING surrounding gaming right now has to do with $$$ and NOT about a fun hobby.Streamers streaming for $$$ not for the FUN of sharing game experiences.Publishers and investors want in for the $$$ not for the passion for gaming.Developers are looking more for a monetary angle,a market than passionate game design.NOBODY in business is doing this for the right reasons....hobby...>>>FUN.

Game design is not a hobby it is a business. Businesses are here to make money. Publishers and investors want to make money on their investments otherwise they would not invest. Developers need to make money to live. For these people it is their job. They may enjoy there job but it still a job. Very few people are going to say I am gonna make a game but who cares if it makes any money or costs me millions.

The downfall of gaming was the internet. This allowed companies to patch games and add additional content. Back during the cartridge and disc only days a company had to get their game as perfect as possible (gold) or there was no fixing it (IE. Atari ET game) or they ended up in landfill. Everything is a double edge sword. Companies are able to fix bugs and add more content to titles but they can also use the idea that they can just release and fix it later.

The other big problem is that developers/investors can see huge amounts of money can be made in certain games and things are considered a flop if they don't make x return on money. You just have to understand that the people involved are doing this for their career not there hobby and they are not charities. If the project/game does not make a profit they need to do something else.
    [Deleted User]kitaradKyleranScot
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Old civilizations crumble and new are built in their place. I think we're at the bottom of our downswing for the genre, and will be steadily building up to something wonderful this year.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?