Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sea of Thieves – Also Misrepresented - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageSea of Thieves – Also Misrepresented - MMORPG.com

Everyone loves a good pirate game, as a certain recent release proved, so Red Thomas takes an exploratory dip into Sea of Thieves to explore why some of his earlier impressions of the game may no longer hold true.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited January 2019
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Its kind of hillarious, that as bad as Atlas is, its probably still better than SoT, if only because more players/server  150 vs 16? its a bit sad really. ;)
    Dick1232GdemamiElquinLethalityTenohiraTokken
  • Dick1232Dick1232 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    SOT is a million times better then Atlas.  
    SBFordPanther2103ThaharMikehaElquinTenohiraNoxiasKooturklash2defTokken
    Dick1232 said:
    SOT is a million times better then Atlas.  
    1 million x 0 is still 0 however. :p
    kitaradKyleranConstantineMerusrodarinNoxiasnatpickkryntok
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Rhoklaw said:
    First mistake... Windows 10. Yes, I have Windows 10, but I won't support exclusive platform games. Just ask Rock Star if I bought Red Dead Redemption 2 or if I bought another Windows 10 exclusive State of Decay 2. I understand console or PC only games, but when you start doing crap like operating system exclusive, something tells me you think too much of yourself.
    I mean it isn't OS exclusive. It's on the Xbox as well. Also what are you talking about with RDR2? That was on Xbox and PS4, not exclusive to a specific platform, and doesn't even have a PC port yet (but will).
    [Deleted User]
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited January 2019
    Phry said:
    Its kind of hillarious, that as bad as Atlas is, its probably still better than SoT, if only because more players/server  150 vs 16? its a bit sad really. ;)
    Atlas and SOT are not even the same genre on their core that be why.

Atlas will hit the MMO Sandbox key SOT never will neither intends to do. SOT is polished on the AAA tier what makes it feel and play way more smooth than Atlas that shares problems of Ark, but then Atlas adds far more feature-set and freedom of play, with self-owned servers and now modding will allow for anything people want to do with it really.

There is no better just what people prefer to play, there's the purely match-based PvP Blackwake (with Ubisoft's one upcoming too), there's the online/co-op SOT, there's the MMO Atlas, different things for different people under the same theme.
    jgerblickRed_ThomasAsheramTokken
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Phry said:

There is NO way you played Atlas. Its a crap clone of Ark and even more buggier and unfinished if you can believe that after the state Ark is still in.
    Tokken
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Picturing Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean being accused of cheating in a swordfight, responding "Pirate?"
    kitaradAzaron_Nightblade

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• jgerblickjgerblick Member CommonPosts: 2
    Very well put. I held out on this game despite high interest at launch because of reviews, finally gave in recently after a lot had been added, and I'm having a blast.
    MikehaRed_ThomasTenohiraNoxiasMMOLIFE-AndrewTokken
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Rhoklaw said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    First mistake... Windows 10. Yes, I have Windows 10, but I won't support exclusive platform games. Just ask Rock Star if I bought Red Dead Redemption 2 or if I bought another Windows 10 exclusive State of Decay 2. I understand console or PC only games, but when you start doing crap like operating system exclusive, something tells me you think too much of yourself.
    I mean it isn't OS exclusive. It's on the Xbox as well. Also what are you talking about with RDR2? That was on Xbox and PS4, not exclusive to a specific platform, and doesn't even have a PC port yet (but will).
    I'm a PC gamer. I don't do console. Hence my reason for pointing out RDR2. However, I have nothing against RDR2 or other console exclusive games, I just won't support them. Despite the inkling of RDR2 being ported to PC, I won't hold my breath.

SoT and SoD2 are both operating system exclusive on PC. That is the point I'm trying to make as I clearly state that I'm ok with console or PC exclusive games. I even pointed out that I have Windows 10 on my computer, but I won't purchase either game because of it's OS exclusivity.

Glad you pointed this out, I might have considered playing but I run Win 7 and am not willing to upgrade, so no SoT for me.
    Phry[Deleted User]Gdemamiqoma

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlteiirAlteiir Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I like SoT. I had a ton of fun with the pvp portion of the game. My problem with the game is that there's very little to do. There is about 3 varieties of the same quest and they ultimately give you the same or similar rewards.

The sailing is hands down the best thing about the game. The FPS and server performance are buttery smooth - Atlas will never achieve that. They definitely went for a jump in and play design, which is fine, but it doesn't really allow you to acquire anything great. There's no crafting system, unique weapon types, or attachments. The progression system just isn't there for me.
    Kyleran
    Kyleran said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    I'm a PC gamer. I don't do console. Hence my reason for pointing out RDR2. However, I have nothing against RDR2 or other console exclusive games, I just won't support them. Despite the inkling of RDR2 being ported to PC, I won't hold my breath.

SoT and SoD2 are both operating system exclusive on PC. That is the point I'm trying to make as I clearly state that I'm ok with console or PC exclusive games. I even pointed out that I have Windows 10 on my computer, but I won't purchase either game because of it's OS exclusivity.

Glad you pointed this out, I might have considered playing but I run Win 7 and am not willing to upgrade, so no SoT for me.
    Well, not sure Win 10 is an upgrade so much as a side grade with spywares  :p
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    If you have an interesting game that is a buggy mess, it's easier to bring people back than a polished game that lacks content.  It's easier to convince people to return to a game that looked fun, but was too buggy to play.  Where polished games with shallow content, people simply ask why wasn't that in from the start. I don't think I can get anyone to play SoT to come back to it.

I personally have a lot of issues with SoT, from character creator to server pop. I can ultimately get passed that if I thought I'd play for any decent amount of time.  Which is a shame because SoT is the kind of gameplay i wanted compared to Skull and Bones.
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    My husband and I played in the beta, it was fun for a second but the reason why we decided to stop playing it was we were attacked non-stop while getting back to the place where we sell the treasure. It's definitely not fun because there were no police, see in the high seas back when pirates did roam, there were the British and the Chinese Royal Navies! This made it possible for raiders who were attacking other pirates, to also get attacked themselves by the police basically. That meant they had to run away to prevent losing what they got.

There was also the pirate accords which the pirates did follow! It would mean war if they didn't and pirates needed each other to make the police have a harder time catching anyone! So the game was unrealistic in that sense! There is alot missing!
    [Deleted User]KyleranZoeMcCloskey
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    SOT released with a ship and some water and VERY little else,that does NOT make a game.
    I am quite certain Microsoft rushed this out but can't begin to imagine the conversations between develoepr and Microsoft.
    Likely to the effect,we have no more money,what do you want us to do...RELEASE it.

Bottom line is they ripped people off badly and at $80 that is outright stealing.
    From, what i saw the game was a shell and nothing more,it would need about 2 years of good effort to turn it into a viable game.

If i was just going to hit a ship and sail around looking for pvp,i would play Blackwake over SOT any day.
    So at this point there is NO WAY,this game has turned itself around because it needs 2 years of work.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    edited January 2019

Wizardry said:

SOT released with a ship and some water and VERY little else,that does NOT make a game.

I am quite certain Microsoft rushed this out but can't begin to imagine the conversations between develoepr and Microsoft.

Likely to the effect,we have no more money,what do you want us to do...RELEASE it.

Bottom line is they ripped people off badly and at $80 that is outright stealing.

From, what i saw the game was a shell and nothing more,it would need about 2 years of good effort to turn it into a viable game.

If i was just going to hit a ship and sail around looking for pvp,i would play Blackwake over SOT any day.

So at this point there is NO WAY,this game has turned itself around because it needs 2 years of work.

I do not play SoT atm but I played it a lot when it came out and I can say hand on heart that I had a blast! the ship battles was fun and raiding a fort with other people trying to steel it omg I had such fun and TBH I paid a lot more cash for games that I had no where near the amount of fun I had in SoT, I will return to SoT this year and I can see it being even more fun than it was. My question to you Wizardry is did you even play the game ?
    Mikeha
  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

Kyleran said:

Rhoklaw said:

Rhoklaw said:

You may want to consider upgrading this year. Even Steam is cutting support for Windows 7 next year... it is time for it to die. :(
    IlayaSabrac
  • SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138
    I feel conflicted with SoT because i've played it on launch and recently too, the game has change a lot in a good way, my ship was eaten by a megalodon and was an amazing and tense experience and i have many others moments like these too however i can't avoid remembering how Microsoft and Rare ship this game as a glorified early access game which is disgusting so im having a hard time into where to draw the line between how much content a game should have at launch and having the excuse by releasing the rest of the content post launch.

Is similar to the No Man's Sky debacle should Hello games be forgived for finally delivering the game they promise years ago?.

Ubisoft do this a lot with their tittles too (Rainbow Six Siege, For Honor, The Division).

So... as much as i like and would like to root for Sea of Thieves, theres only one first impression and i don't wanna encourage developers and publishers doing things like these, that's just my opinion though.

We deserve a full product, not an 60$ early access games, i could understand the excuse with indies, but with AAA companies? hell no...
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

So pirate games are good but pirating games is bad... Huh. 

What if pirates stole a shipment of pirate games? Whoah! *mind explodes*
    [Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Amathe said:

So pirate games are good but pirating games is bad... Huh. 

What if pirates stole a shipment of pirate games? Whoah! *mind explodes*
    not until you find out those games were also pirated.....
    Amathe
  • crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    I hope we are not going to start praising these clowns after they released a piece of shit unfinished game and then were kind enough to give the DLC's for free. So sick of all these gaming studios flooding the market with garbage, taking months/years to fix it, but still charge full price on release. Sad state of affairs we are in today.....

Also @Rhoklaw: Couldn't agree more on not supporting OS exclusive titles. If it's on PC, it should work on PC and not be limited to your shitty Win 10 software that no one wants, but is now being forced down our throats by Intel and MS.
    [Deleted User]Asm0deus
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    crankked said:
    I hope we are not going to start praising these clowns after they released a piece of shit unfinished game and then were kind enough to give the DLC's for free. So sick of all these gaming studios flooding the market with garbage, taking months/years to fix it, but still charge full price on release. Sad state of affairs we are in today.....

Also @Rhoklaw: Couldn't agree more on not supporting OS exclusive titles. If it's on PC, it should work on PC and not be limited to your shitty Win 10 software that no one wants, but is now being forced down our throats by Intel and MS.
    One thing to consider is that there are some technical differences between Win10 and Win7.  For one, there are directX versions and a lot of current drivers that aren't backward compatible, and end of life happens for operating systems, just like it happens for any other software.   You can spend all your time infinitely regression testing and fixing issues with older OSs.

From a developmental standpoint, you're demanding they invest effort in supporting something that they may not get a return on their investment for.  Stuff that runs on one doesn't always run on the other, so it's not like they're writing in some code that blocks it from working on the earlier OS.  It's just not supported.  You might even still be able to get it to run if you really wanted to.

There's nothing wrong with voting with your dollar.  I do it myself because I don't buy console games.  I want PC and I think consoles hurt video games a lot, so I don't buy games that are released on console and often won't buy them if they started on console and ported.

I think the reverse compatibility thing might be a little bit unreasonable, though.  MS can't support Win7 forever.

I'm super empathetic to the aversion to Win10's spyware.  I'm a cyber dude and a former intel dude, so I'm right there with you.  There are ways to disable/block all of it, though.  Just takes a little research and effort.
    [Deleted User]TacticalZombeh
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    edited January 2019

Rhoklaw said:

Time out....am I reading this correctly? Are you implying the game is not doing well because it is PC only? And you are actually boycotting a PC only game calling it a......"operating system exclusive"?

I'm too shocked really to completely spit my water out on my keyboard laughing at this. And to top it off...you call yourself a PC Gamer only. Please tell me if I got this wrong because if I don't.....holy hell. Reeeeaaaalllly?
    AlmostLancelot
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Am I the only one who thinks that the character models are ugly?  When I first saw the game, I thought it was some low-budget indie game because the character models were so bad.  I was surprised that it was supposed to be some big-budget, high graphics game.  I'll concede that the other stuff in the screenshots looks a lot better than the character models.

Bad character models is a forgivable offense if the gameplay is good, of course.  But when your case for playing a game relies so heavily on "look how beautiful the world is", ugly characters are something of a problem.
    Tokken