Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Niantic worth more than Square Enix, capcom or Sega

DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
edited December 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I am watching "Memories of Alhambra' which is about augmented reality. Can see how it can be the future of gaming. Pokemon Go tapped a little of it.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    All Niantic did was tap into an EASY market with a well known brand name and nothing else did they that was AAA or good for gaming.

This is just more PROOF investors and devs are more after the easy buck than trying to give us AAA games.I mean it wouldn't even take hardly any effort at all to one up Pokemon Go,i bet a few thousand Indie devs could easily top it.The difference is these guys already have the catchy Pokemon Ip on their side,it doesn't have to be good or better than any other competitor,it just sells.
    Point being,if this EXACT game came out under a different brand it would likely have already disappeared off the grid.
    [Deleted User]maskedweaselKyleranScot

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    It appears allot of people like to poop and play games at the same time.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Intellecutal Property isn't everything. Ask SWTOR.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Wizardry said:
    All Niantic did was tap into an EASY market with a well known brand name and nothing else did they that was AAA or good for gaming.

This is just more PROOF investors and devs are more after the easy buck than trying to give us AAA games.I mean it wouldn't even take hardly any effort at all to one up Pokemon Go,i bet a few thousand Indie devs could easily top it.The difference is these guys already have the catchy Pokemon Ip on their side,it doesn't have to be good or better than any other competitor,it just sells.
    Point being,if this EXACT game came out under a different brand it would likely have already disappeared off the grid.
    Ingress was created by Niantic years before Pokemon Go ever graced the mobile stage, and it's still running, and has over 10 million downloads on the play store and an additional unknown amount on iOS.  That is WHY they got the pokemon IP not that they got popular BECAUSE of the pokemon IP.  The locations populated in Ingress were used by Niantic FOR Pokemon GO, not only because they had experience in the field with Ingress, but mostly because they were the ONLY ones that really had such thorough location data to make it accessible for everyone.

So by that alone, the game originally did come out under a different brand, and it didn't disappear. It thrived, and not only did it thrive, it then utilized the same exact formula to make another version with a known IP.  

Not bad for a studio that started with less than 40 people. 
    mmoloukitarad

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited December 2018
    yep, and there are actually more beings on this planet who eat shit (flies), than beings who eat pizza (humans).

does that mean shit is the better food? :)

quantity never equaled quality, and never will

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Now if they would only remove item limits on Ingress, and make the game playable again like Pokemon go );.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    As a video game, I think pokemon go is really shallow.  And I hope it remain really shallow.  If I want to play a good video game, I won't be playing pokemon go.  I play pokemon go because it get me to go outside and visit areas.

Recently pokemon go add in a bunch of content, trading, and pvp.  But I think the more content they add, the more I spend watching my phone but not the surrounding.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    but are they worth more than wayne corp!?
    Scot

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"