Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Activision-Blizzard CFO Fired for 'Causes Unrelated to the Company's Financial Reporting' - MMORPG.

124»

Comments

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    lahnmir said:
    When your company is going through a rough time nothing makes more sense then giving a leaving person 10 million dollar....

When you have received 10 million dollars nothing makes more sense then go work for a company that pays even more.....

At that level its just the old boys club rewarding each other and there is no breaking through because they all do it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Giving a pay out is just business as usual in the corporate level. It's just NDA with payment agreement.   Consider it payment for the condition of his departure for the company. In other words it's an NDA type agreement where he promises not to disclose how the company did business.   This guy could of left to join Nextflix because it was more of a familiar to him since he had previously worked at Disney.

Or he could of left for Netflix because he was the person that had to sign off and take responsibility for the book keeping and he wasn't comfortable doing that. A friend of mine left a major corporation for this very reason and was compensated financially very well  and his employment was finalized rather quickly.  Of course there are just numerous other non discloses reasons for him leaving and being compensated for. I just wanted to share a few of the obvious ones.
    Gdemami
  • ellebishopellebishop Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Netflix hired him ...
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2019
    Bakgrind said:
    lahnmir said:
    When your company is going through a rough time nothing makes more sense then giving a leaving person 10 million dollar....

When you have received 10 million dollars nothing makes more sense then go work for a company that pays even more.....

At that level its just the old boys club rewarding each other and there is no breaking through because they all do it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Giving a pay out is just business as usual in the corporate level. It's just NDA with payment agreement.   Consider it payment for the condition of his departure for the company. In other words it's an NDA type agreement where he promises not to disclose how the company did business.   This guy could of left to join Nextflix because it was more of a familiar to him since he had previously worked at Disney.

Or he could of left for Netflix because he was the person that had to sign off and take responsibility for the book keeping and he wasn't comfortable doing that. A friend of mine left a major corporation for this very reason and was compensated financially very well  and his employment was finalized rather quickly.  Of course there are just numerous other non discloses reasons for him leaving and being compensated for. I just wanted to share a few of the obvious ones.
    As per the article: 
    "Neumann received nearly $10M in compensation in the company's previous fiscal year.

Previous as in before he departed.

The article DID NOT SAY he departed and they paid him another $10M. Indeed since they "fired him" that would rather suggest that they consider his actions a breach (of contract) and have no intention of paying him anything else.
    Iselin
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    gervaise1 said:
    Bakgrind said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

As per the article: 
    "Neumann received nearly $10M in compensation in the company's previous fiscal year.

The article DID NOT SAY he departed and they paid him another $10M. Indeed since they "fired him" that would rather suggest that they consider his actions a breach (of contract) and have no intention of paying him anything else.
    People just read headlines, and barely at that, and then invent their own narrative to fit what they think they just read. Reading incomprehension is the norm now :)
    Gdemamimmolou
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Iselin said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Bakgrind said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

As per the article: 

People just read headlines, and barely at that, and then invent their own narrative to fit what they think they just read. Reading incomprehension is the norm now :)
    Exactly!  Peons lust red deadlines, and Bear Lee's attack!

Wait, what were we talking about?
    Palebanemmolou

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    Nyctelios said:
    Scot said:
    ET3D said:
    At least we now know the real cause (planning to defect to Netflix).
    I really don't think so. Particularly since it was in no way a 'defection', unless I am remarkably clueless Netflix does not in any way compete with Activision/Blizzard. Now some exec may have got miffed, but a quiet negotiated exit and handover would be normal for that change.

Some people have suggested some plausible options, vesting, bonuses, ego, or perhaps the highly speculative 'grabass' or similar. But a simple change of employment isn't it.
    I doubt there is any sort of defection unless we see Netflix starting up a gaming platform, lets put that out there on the furthest possible limb.

As everyone should know by now the top executives in the top companies of the gaming industry are the same guys who are the top executives in the top companies of nearly every industry, it is a professional musical chairs where becoming a member of the club nets you untold millions. In the UK this started in the nineties I think when boards were allowed to set their own remuneration, without it being passed by shareholders. Since then perfectly reasonable very high salaries have been inflated beyond all recognition of what a director brings to a company.
    No no no... That's not it.

Disney is opening it's streaming service and as a punch on it's kidneys Netflix canceled all the Marvel Super hero shows it was airing, even the sucessful ones. 

People were confused about what was going on and the logic assumption was Disney taking the IPs away for it's own shows... but that was not it:

Just recently they found out that the contract Netflix holds for those IP specify that in case of closure/series cancel and so on those IP become "frozen" for a period of two years. The actors can't portray their characters in any type of media and those series can't be shown in any type of media outside Netflix aproval.

So Netflix closed it's own series so Disney won't be able to also run them on their streaming service or use those actors and characters in any way shape or form. They shot their own foot to hurt Disney.

I think what they fear is due Disney absurd amount of cash they could focus on marketing their streaming service in wider spaces than Netflix, taking away people who subscribe it for those shows.

Just recently we had rumors that Friends would be taken off from Netflix, but a 10million payment assured that the show remained on it for more one year.

Netflix wants that dude because he worked on Disney. They want him really bad. 
    If this is true it is a huge disservice to comics fans. I had not realise every Marvel series had been cancelled. But Netflix users get to have Friends for another year, and see that same old rubbish.
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]NorseGod
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    SBFord said:
    So now he's off grabassin at Netflix. Sorry I just recently learned that word/phrase and I adore the hell out of it.

Grabassin ... HEH!!
    Your New Years resolution for the 2019 is less grabassin and it was not a big leap to realise this. :D
    [Deleted User]
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Scot said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Scot said:
    ET3D said:
    I really don't think so. Particularly since it was in no way a 'defection', unless I am remarkably clueless Netflix does not in any way compete with Activision/Blizzard. Now some exec may have got miffed, but a quiet negotiated exit and handover would be normal for that change.

Some people have suggested some plausible options, vesting, bonuses, ego, or perhaps the highly speculative 'grabass' or similar. But a simple change of employment isn't it.
    I doubt there is any sort of defection unless we see Netflix starting up a gaming platform, lets put that out there on the furthest possible limb.

As everyone should know by now the top executives in the top companies of the gaming industry are the same guys who are the top executives in the top companies of nearly every industry, it is a professional musical chairs where becoming a member of the club nets you untold millions. In the UK this started in the nineties I think when boards were allowed to set their own remuneration, without it being passed by shareholders. Since then perfectly reasonable very high salaries have been inflated beyond all recognition of what a director brings to a company.

Disney is opening it's streaming service and as a punch on it's kidneys Netflix canceled all the Marvel Super hero shows it was airing, even the sucessful ones. 

People were confused about what was going on and the logic assumption was Disney taking the IPs away for it's own shows... but that was not it:

Just recently they found out that the contract Netflix holds for those IP specify that in case of closure/series cancel and so on those IP become "frozen" for a period of two years. The actors can't portray their characters in any type of media and those series can't be shown in any type of media outside Netflix aproval.

So Netflix closed it's own series so Disney won't be able to also run them on their streaming service or use those actors and characters in any way shape or form. They shot their own foot to hurt Disney.

I think what they fear is due Disney absurd amount of cash they could focus on marketing their streaming service in wider spaces than Netflix, taking away people who subscribe it for those shows.

Just recently we had rumors that Friends would be taken off from Netflix, but a 10million payment assured that the show remained on it for more one year.

If this is true it is a huge disservice to comics fans. I had not realise every Marvel series had been cancelled. But Netflix users get to have Friends for another year, and see that same old rubbish.
    The Marvel comics issue is unrelated, they are having huge problems because nobody is buying their comics, its so bad that a number of comics stores have had to close, more an issue of Marvel not really having many/any? decent artists/writers, the shows are another issue, but not entirely unrelated as the America Chavez and Ms Marvel mentality has unfortunately destroyed a number of them, i think when Captain Marvel (Brie Larson) film flops hard then it will truly have also spread to the film division. As for moving to Netflix from ActiBlizz, as someone who was deep inside the company and was aware of their financial position and probable future, i think the move to Netflix was more a case of 'rats deserting a sinking ship' than anything, they found out he was doing that and sacked him, but by now the writing is well and truly on the wall.
    Scot
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Nyctelios said:
    Scot said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Scot said:
    ET3D said:

I agree with you. I think shutting down the successful ones just to hurt Disney is a disservice to the fanbase they built these years.

...Just not Jessica, Luke or Iron Fist... those can go. ;P Specially Iron Fist.
    Disney is launching their own video service afaik, that would be in direct competition to Netflix, so cancelling them is likely for that reason, besides, are any of them really any good?  :/
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    This current discussion is WAY off topic. Might be wise to make a separate thread in The Pub or Off-Topic. Thanks.
    [Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited January 2019
    Scot said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Scot said:
    ET3D said:

WHAT?!

No more hopes for Punisher Season 2?

There's barely any series I follow as it is that isn't some "New Super Secret, Evil Nazi Discovery" documentary or some show with forced political agendas cringe.

Tell me Netflix is in the red.

Sorry, @SBFord. I went off-topic too. I'm kinda shocked by that news. However, I guess that explains why that CFO sold his $2M stock.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited January 2019
    I've heard that Activision is under investigation for fraud after splitting up with Bungie.
    https://fandomwire.com/2019/01/12/activision-being-investigated-for-fraud-following-bungie-split/

https://massivelyop.com/2019/01/12/activision-investors-are-now-investigating-whether-the-bungie-split-involves-securities-fraud/

Apparently some investors got their hackles up over the split and moved to investigate it as a class action. “The investigation concerns whether Activision and certain of its officers and/or directors have engaged in securities fraud or other unlawful business practices,” says the attorneys’ press release.

Oops, already talked about here:
    https://www.mmorpg.com/editorials/activision-and-bungie-the-tale-of-two-titles-1000013338

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I've heard that Activision is under investigation for fraud after splitting up with Bungie.
    https://fandomwire.com/2019/01/12/activision-being-investigated-for-fraud-following-bungie-split/

https://massivelyop.com/2019/01/12/activision-investors-are-now-investigating-whether-the-bungie-split-involves-securities-fraud/

Apparently some investors got their hackles up over the split and moved to investigate it as a class action. “The investigation concerns whether Activision and certain of its officers and/or directors have engaged in securities fraud or other unlawful business practices,” says the attorneys’ press release.

Oops, already talked about here:
    https://www.mmorpg.com/editorials/activision-and-bungie-the-tale-of-two-titles-1000013338
    You should have realised that Suzie is always scouring and would have found that pronto.
    Chamber of Chains